Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Castle Cake Apologist

I was playing Devil's Advocate when Iger 'leaked' the name would change. I started arguing it should not change precisely for the reasons I just gave. I've been consistent on this account.

From the perspective of the park having it's own clear identity after the "reinvention," I do personally think the name could stand to change.

However, from a logistical and monetary perspective, I think it should just stay the same. 2008's change to DHS was enough of a headache and ultimately resulted in most people still just calling it "MGM" or simply "Studios." To then turn around barely even 10 years later and spend all the money and effort to do it again seems like lunacy.

*Q*

It's a shame they don't actually go farther with the studio theme... keep the Earffel Tower and do a small Burbank studio themed section, build up the Animation section to match the facility in Burbank and put your Mickey ride back there, keep Pixar Place, build a Skywalker Ranch facade as the portal to Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Sir_Cliff

From the perspective of the park having it's own clear identity after the "reinvention," I do personally think the name could stand to change.
Part of the problem is that no-one seems to have been able to come up with a better name to describe what the park is and studios is more evocative than abstract terms such as "adventure". The name also works fine even if the theme isn't "working studio" which, arguably, hasn't proved the most appealing way to theme a park. If you really want to think it through, the notion that you step into an idealised version of Hollywood where filming is going on all around you in different studios isn't more abstract than the concept of the Magic Kingdom and its collection of lands. Hollywood is the theme that ties it all together, with film and television productions being the logic behind the inclusion of all the lands and attractions. One minute you're in Grand Street then turn one way and you're in the midst of Star Wars, walk down another street and suddenly you're immersed in Toy Story, etc.

Like Magic Kingdom, I think the Studios name and collection of lands based on movies just cognitively makes sense for guests to the park. I doubt Disney has had any problem with guests freaking out that they can't find any working production facilities anymore than they have with people concerned about Cinderella's mad imperial desire to rule over not just a vast section of the globe, but to own the entire future.

Last edited:

mharrington

I forgot to mention something else...

That's not quite correct. After the initial 'Disney' logo with the castle, it says the name of the studio (LucasFilm, Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios', etc.). So if you go watch Frozen, Moana, or Big Hero 6, you'll see this *immediately* after the Disney castle logo.

After the logos with the "name of the studios", when the movie begins, it nowadays says "Disney Presents", not "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" or "Walt Disney Animation Studios presents" or whatever.

Indy_UK

And, as has been said many times, it doesn't need to be metaphorical with regard to an active studio lot. "Studio" also means a production company and the Hollywood-land themed theme-park features the IP from the various studios Disney owns: Disney Studios; Disney Animation Studios; Pixar Studios; Marvel Studios; LucasFilm Studio. It's a studio showcase. So, we don't need the metaphorical when one of the very literal definitions of studio works just fine.

Totally agree. If anything I think it makes more sense now calling it Disney Hollywood studios than it has in the past.

Castle Cake Apologist

Disney® Confused and Misguided Hodgepodge Mess of Movies and Hollywood Landmarks Et Cetera Park™

I think that sums the park's identity up pretty well.

I tried to think of a way to incorporate turning NYC facades into "downtown LA," but the name was already as big a mess as the park, so I went with Et Cetera.

Last edited:

brb1006

DisneyParks revealed the new logo for the park. Yeah, DHS name isn't going away anytime now.
screen-shot-2019-05-01-at-10-26-20-am-png.368555

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom