Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

Jwhee

Universal Orlando just up the interstate has a park named "Universal Studios" and it hasn't been a working studio for years.

Not to take from the point you're trying to make- but I just need to say that they still do in fact film plenty of TV shows there all the time. NBC Telemundo uses those stages very often

JohnD

I state the obvious and people want to argue. The name will change and it won't have "studios" in it. Sigh....

I stand corrected. It won't change "for the foreseeable future." I could give a flying flip whether anyone on this forum"wins". It's a WDW decision.

No Name

I thought the name change was to coincide with a complete revamp/upgrade of the park. Was this the case? And if so -- does this now mean that those upgrades are not happening? Obviously I'm not talking about SWGE, TSL, or the parking upgrades.

And BTW -- count me in the group that liked Hollywood Adventure. It's not a working studio. Or even a pretend one.

Is DAK a working or even a pretend monarchy? Names aren't to be taken so literally.

RSoxNo1

As expected, the site that shall not be named is acting like they knew the name wouldn’t change all along; except, you know, they stole a report from Mickey Views and didn't give proper credit back in August about a survey containing potential new names for DHS :rolleyes::hilarious:
FTFY

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You live up to your Avatar. A smug penguin who likes to rub people's noses in it. Whatever. Who cares?
I stand corrected. It won't change "for the foreseeable future." I could give a flying flip whether anyone on this forum"wins". It's a WDW decision.

With how adamant you were that the name would change, rubbing people's nose in it and all, it would seem that you indeed do give a flip.

CJR

I have to say that I'm happy they aren't renaming the park. It'll always be "the studios" to me.

I bet they looked at the cost replacing all those signs and materials and were like "not worth it". Star Wars will sell itself, no need to make a pointless change for tacky marketing. Maybe they can use the money to paint a building or something.

No Name

I'm guessing the person you were replying to was referring to the years when both Disney/MGM and Universal theme parks were indeed working studios, hence the term studios in the park names. Thus, those park names literally did refer to actual studios.

Of course they were, that's exactly my point. Just because the name was more literal at one point doesn't mean it no longer works figuratively. Hope the O-rings are secured on Spaceship Earth!

lazyboy97o

I’m not sure I would be so quick to trust Disney on this one. It wouldn’t be the first time they have made misleading/false statements in order to end/control speculation on things they are not ready to announce yet.
This. With Disney it isn’t true until they are ready. The DisneyParks Blog is always going to tow the official line.

Universal Orlando just up the interstate has a park named "Universal Studios" and it hasn't been a working studio for years.
You mean the place that just opened new production facilities?

Kamikaze

But then why even address it? While I think the name could still potentially change (or not), I think at this point it is unlikely to be Cinemagine. The backlash was just too big, hence they felt the need to address it.

I don't think 'Cinemagine' was ever a realistic possibility for a name. The simplest solution is just '(Walt) Disney('s) Studios'. The 'Hollywood' part is superfluous.

smile

By that definition many studios are not working studios since they are also not a production company.

of course they are, like pixar and many others - also technically qualifying is the work of a mere design studio...
i'm speaking to the generally held idea that 'studios' as a place to visit is one with soundstages being used for their intended purpose.

regardless, doesn't change the validity of either park calling themselves as such, especially in relation to broad production under a brand, as in practice

mharrington

How can these be called "studios", at Disney or Universal, if they don't function as such? I was not particularly happy about the idea of it being called "Cinemagine" (because to me, it signifies imagining yourself in the movies, that they acknowledge that it's all fake and unreal), but it needs to be changed if they no longer function as studios? Universal in Hollywood gets away with it, because it is a real studio, but if they don't function like such in Florida, they shouldn't be named "studios".

I find it ironic that they would keep the "studios" name at Disney, since they are getting rid of all pretense of being a real studio. They've scrapped the Backlot Tour for Star Wars and the Animation thing is a shell of its old self.

I'm guessing the person you were replying to was referring to the years when both Disney/MGM and Universal theme parks were indeed working studios, hence the term studios in the park names. Thus, those park names literally did refer to actual studios.

Not anymore, though. Therefore, it should be changed. "Cinemagine" was not my first choice, but it is a little more honest about the park you visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom