News Disney's Hollywood Studios July 2020 reopening reports

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Surprised to read reports of long wait times and such. I was there Saturday at 1:30, got Rise boarding passes, and did several attractions with little or no wait. they obviously increased capacity from Sunday forward. I know they just opened cast members back up. Maybe that was part of it

peter11435

Surprised to read reports of long wait times and such. I was there Saturday at 1:30, got Rise boarding passes, and did several attractions with little or no wait. they obviously increased capacity from Sunday forward. I know they just opened cast members back up. Maybe that was part of it
Cast members are still excluded from Hollywood Studios

wdwgreek

Soundstage 5 (Disney Junior) is supposed to have some offering beginning this week. Theatre of the Stars is also supposed to open soon but not with the same show. It’s more like the Pixar thing they did a few years ago but probably not with an orchestra.

I thought these were announced but I can’t find a source. Even I will take this info with a grain of salt.
Supposedly actors equity and disney have been in negotiations all this week and are getting closer to a deal. A big sticking point has been PPE among other things. Union is blaming disney for not bargaining in good faith, disney is saying the union refused to come to the table. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next week or so.

Purduevian

Best solution I can think of with RotR boarding groups and everyone showing up super early. Let approximately 1.5 hours of people into the line before/at park opening (make them scan magic bands/cards so they are ineligible for the VQ later). Run the initial VQ at 11am instead of 10am.

DisneyDebRob

Supposedly actors equity and disney have been in negotiations all this week and are getting closer to a deal. A big sticking point has been PPE among other things. Union is blaming disney for not bargaining in good faith, disney is saying the union refused to come to the table. Hopefully it will be resolved in the next week or so.
Sounds like the fight between every union and every company since the beginning of time. One party refusing to come to the table and the other not bargaining in good faith.

Lirael

Sounds like the fight between every union and every company since the beginning of time. One party refusing to come to the table and the other not bargaining in good faith.
Tale as old as time
True as it can be
Barely even friendly
And no one ever bends
Unexpectedly

Please, just a little change
Small to say the least
Both very stubborn
Neither one prepared
Company and the Union

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Best solution I can think of with RotR boarding groups and everyone showing up super early. Let approximately 1.5 hours of people into the line before/at park opening (make them scan magic bands/cards so they are ineligible for the VQ later). Run the initial VQ at 11am instead of 10am.

Or... have the VQ lottery go off the night before among those who have reservations for DHS the next day with lots going off at 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00 PM.

This way, there's no desperate need to be at rope drop.

wdwgreek

As a Union attorney for teachers and nurses I will say that employers often paint the story as to whatever suits their position the best and then have a double standard if the unions dare to play by the same standards. Employers make a first offer but then refuse to negotiate further arguing they obliged the basics of the law and reached an impasse and can implement a unilateral change. I do admit though I am very biased.

disneygeek90

Or... have the VQ lottery go off the night before among those who have reservations for DHS the next day with lots going off at 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00 PM.

What if it wasn't a lottery? What if it was the same process we have now but instead of the 10am drop, it's at 8pm the night before. Instead of checking for entrance it would be checking for a park reservation.

Then, you'd have your number ahead of time and not need to rush in. Maybe they extend the time to return back to 2 hours. Either way I think this would help with the morning crowd, but at least this way you'd still have a little control over your BG.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What if it wasn't a lottery? What if it was the same process we have now but instead of the 10am drop, it's at 8pm the night before. Instead of checking for entrance it would be checking for a park reservation.

Then, you'd have your number ahead of time and not need to rush in. Maybe they extend the time to return back to 2 hours. Either way I think this would help with the morning crowd, but at least this way you'd still have a little control over your BG.

I'm calling the specified time-constrained sign-up a lottery, for that indeed it is depending on one's connections. Whether it's 10 AM in the park or the vigil at 10 PM, it's (IMO) a lottery. So, we're saying the same thing.

DisneyCane

Got group 2 this morning. All was smooth until we were brought to our cell. Now back in the hallway of the destroyer for the last 20 minutes. The CMs are keeping us entertained.

techgeek

I never understood why Disney was adamant about doing it ‘in park’, back when it first opened. Demand was strong regardless and it would have avoided so much customer service pain.

Now though, with attendance primarily being driven from AP’s, I’ll bet they would have a ton of no shows from AP’s that didn’t get a boarding group in a night before lottery.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Got group 2 this morning. All was smooth until we were brought to our cell. Now back in the hallway of the destroyer for the last 20 minutes. The CMs are keeping us entertained.

i was in line for 2.5 hours on Sunday evening because it was down. At least i was inside.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I never understood why Disney was adamant about doing it ‘in park’, back when it first opened. Demand was strong regardless and it would have avoided so much customer service pain.

Now though, with attendance primarily being driven from AP’s, I’ll bet they would have a ton of no shows from AP’s that didn’t get a boarding group in a night before lottery.

It was in the park so that thousands of locals wouldn't grab all the spots. They wanted to make sure that the people who are actually going to the parks would get the slots.

But now that it's by reservation... that shouldn't be a concern for now.

jinx8402

They could do the first opening the night before, but only do the initial drop. Then have the same 2PM drop, where they can account for no shows and ride performance to determine the final number of boarding groups given out.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
They could do the first opening the night before, but only do the initial drop. Then have the same 2PM drop, where they can account for no shows and ride performance to determine the final number of boarding groups given out.

In-park drops only encourage crowds to congregate at a specific time.

Another way to do the online-rush-lottery is for everyone who has a reservation to sign up for an actual lottery that isn't dependent on the vagaries of the internet and online servers' ability to handle an overwhelming number of simultaneous hits.

Any time between noon and 8 PM the day before, you sign up for a chance to get a VQ. Then at 8:30, groups are randomly picked and everyone is given a push notification of the result.

peter11435

In-park drops only encourage crowds to congregate at a specific time.

Another way to do the online-rush-lottery is for everyone who has a reservation to sign up for an actual lottery that isn't dependent on the vagaries of the internet and online servers' ability to handle an overwhelming number of simultaneous hits.

Any time between noon and 8 PM the day before, you sign up for a chance to get a VQ. Then at 8:30, groups are randomly picked and everyone is given a push notification of the result.
And the reason they won’t do that is because because then everyone who didn’t win the lottery would decide not to go to Hollywood studios they day. They need more guests in the park than rise can accommodate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom