Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
$30 for Mulan is completely ordinary pricing for premier VoD.

You will get it on D+ 'for free' after it goes through various 'windows' of sales: theater, VoD, cable, broadcast, streamers. That is exactly what would happen if Mulan went to theaters first. Completely ordinary.

If you wanted to see it in theaters, $30 represents less than a family of three. Buy 'buying' it on VoD, you can watch it with many more people and many times over.

If you don't want to pay extra for a premier views, just wait 3-6 months and it will be on D+ at no extra charge. Just like you have the option of not seeing in theaters, if it had gone to theaters.

Which is completely ordinary.

That’s not good.
So it's not included in D+? Wow.
$30 for Mulan ON Disney +...LOL
I'll wait until it's on...

oh, wait...

Anyway, I'm not paying $29.99 to see it.
$29.99 to watch Mulan? Best joke I’ve ever heard! Oh wait... you’re serious Bob?
Heard this and my jaw just about dropped. Can't see the majority of subscribers paying it when they've set the expectation for movie premieres with Artemis Fowl and Hamilton.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But it's still cheaper then a ticket (nearly $15) and some popcorn. Might as well add in the gas needed to get there. Plus you can watch it repeatedly. I'm not looking forward to it but it's a welcome addition.
On your couch...apples to grapes.

When I write my next book, the title will be:

“Adrift in the Blue Ocean of Guaranteed Hubris: the Bob Iger Story”

...foreword by Michael D. Eisner and Jay Rasulo...please tip your Uber driver, Paul Pressler

ElvisMickey

I don't know. I feel like Disney is overestimating how many people actually want to see Mulan to begin with. I mean, does it look like it appeals to kids, the Marvel crowd, etc.? I just feel like it has bomb written all over it. I actually want to see it (not for $30 on Disney +) and it may be pretty good, but I just don't see it as something that's going to be making a ton of cash, even IN theaters before this whole COVID thing happened.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So Disney actually made a meager earnings this quarter despite park closures and missing revenue, even after all the analysts predicted they'd lose money.

That's...not terrible? I was expecting them to miss everything.

And this is interesting: despite raising a lot of debt, current liabilities *decreased*, albeit slightly from last year.
So much for the "Disney is going bankrupt" doom-and-gloom...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
$30 for Mulan is completely ordinary pricing for premier VoD.

You will get it on D+ 'for free' after it goes through various 'windows' of sales: theater, VoD, cable, broadcast, streamers. That is exactly what would happen if Mulan went to theaters first. Completely ordinary.

If you wanted to see it in theaters, $30 represents less than a family of three. Buy 'buying' it on VoD, you can watch it with many more people and many times over.

If you don't want to pay extra for a premier views, just wait 3-6 months and it will be on D+ at no extra charge. Just like you have the option of not seeing in theaters, if it had gone to theaters.

Which is completely ordinary.
Let’s see how it goes before we claim victory/defeat. We’ll wait for the charts 👍🏻😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In all fairness, this isn't really any different from, say, being a Showtime subscriber through their standalone service and paying separately for a pay-per-view event they're producing and streaming.
Except it’s a kids movie through a kids platform portal.

To be fair: I thought they should have released all the abrams/Johnson Star Wars movies for $1.99 on Vudu...in retrospect.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Do you have the same complaint about going to see new Disney releases in the theater? Should all new Disney releases be included in your $5/month subscription?
Completely different.

Movie screen.............................................................................................................................TV screen
1596574581092.png
1596574614368.png

Brer Oswald

I don't know. I feel like Disney is overestimating how many people actually want to see Mulan to begin with. I mean, does it look like it appeals to kids, the Marvel crowd, etc.? I just feel like it has bomb written all over it. I actually want to see it (not for $30 on Disney +) and it may be pretty good, but I just don't see it as something that's going to be making a ton of cash, even IN theaters before this whole COVID thing happened.
They definitely are. If this was a mega blockbuster Marvel/Star Wars Film, or even a brand new WDAS/Pixar film, I’d get it.

Mulan had people potentially boycotting and criticizing the film back when it was about to launch in March.

trainplane3

I agree with this. If it were Star Wars or a Marvel movie, it'd be a sure fire hit and people wouldn't be complaining already. But another live action remake as an upcharge? I have a feeling it wouldn't do so hot in the theaters regardless of the situation.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
But it's still cheaper then a ticket (nearly $15) and some popcorn. Might as well add in the gas needed to get there. Plus you can watch it repeatedly. I'm not looking forward to it but it's a welcome addition.

That's cheaper than a movie ticket and small popcorn for one person at the closest movie theatre to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom