Disney's Five year plan

What should Disney concentrate on in the next five years?

• update the 4 existing parks

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • continue to build new resorts

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • build a 5th theme park

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • improve the transportation system

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

Disneynut

Original Poster
Hi all. As a Disney Shareholder, I have always wanted to go the annual meeting and submit a question. However, with only 30 shares, I doubt I would get very far :). So I will post the question here.

What should Disney concentrate on in the next five years?

Herbie53

Premium Member
None of those items stands out as something to be focused on. Disney needs to maintain a careful balance of all those things. A new park is good, but it can't come at the expense of the existing parks. If they don't deal with the transportation issues, expansion won't be feasible, and if they want more and more guests they are going to need more and more hotel rooms.

Tramp

I voted for updating the 4 parks....
I think the real answer lies within the state of the economy....if it tanks, expansion will be a non-issue....if it booms, I can see Disney doing a lot with all the things listed.
I think it would be prudent on Disney's part, given the instability of the economy, to limit their investment exposure to those things which will have the greatest potential to survive an economic downturn .
I have just over 2000 Disney shares and they don't listen to me either!

markymark

I'm with Tramp on this one. I think they should concentrate more on updating what they have, instead of diverting all their attention to another park. Doing this might mean they take less interest in the parks they already have, which might lead to a decline in standards.

I have no Disney shares

M

Mr Lightbeer

I wish they would take it easy for a while,if you mean by updating the 4 parks by giving them a spruce up then that gets my vote.I said on an other thread not long ago ,too much is happening too fast.We thought after this year we'd give it a miss for a while but now with Mission Space in 2003 we know we'll be back.We'd love to go to California or to visit other parts of the States but we know we'd be itching to be in Orlando if there was a new park.We go in 30 days and will miss Walt's 100 year celebratrion ,this is annoying because I think things might be a bit flat as they build up to the excitement of this latest party.I have requested 1 Disney share off Mrs Lightbeer for Christmas in those nice frames,I see you are a man of means Tramp.

Attachments

• mickey005.gif
    mickey005.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 228

wdwmaniac

I think they need to fill in all the open spots in the 4-other parks and make them as good as they can get before they plan a fifth park.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by markymark
I'm with Tramp on this one. I think they should concentrate more on updating what they have, instead of diverting all their attention to another park. Doing this might mean they take less interest in the parks they already have, which might lead to a decline in standards.

I have no Disney shares

updating the parks would be my choice. we need to get all the empty attractions filled back up with some great attractions

Tramp

Originally posted by JAY-ROD

updating the parks would be my choice. we need to get all the empty attractions filled back up with some great attractions

I hope they install a 'delousing' device at the entrances for guys like jay-rod.

Mr. Lame Post Enforcer my !

WDW-Imagineer

I think the transportation system needs to be updated, then the parks.

Disney is in no financial positions to build another park plus, as said above, it would divert attention to other parks & standards. I also think WDW has plenty of resorts. With the Pop Century almost open, there are now 4 value resorts and I think that is enough to hold the families on a budget while the others are in the 10 or so resorts. Plus, if a new park were built, new resorts would have to be built and it would end up being a very expensive venture.

I think Disney needs to go ahead with the transportation system upgrade and then after a year or so... begin to fill in the parks. Then and only then should Disney even think about adding a 5th park. I say in the next 10 years or so, we'll see a 5th theme park.

Kevin Page

I really wish WDW did something to 'spruce up' the Magic Kingdom. I have never been to Disneyland, but just from everything I know, the soundtrack at HM, exterior to Small World, and the soundtrack on Space Mountain, are great and btter additions than what WDW has to offer.

Also, they really need to put a ride in where 20,000 Leagues was to "round out" the area and bring back the complete feel of Fantasyland.

And why not have Indiana jones there? It is Disney's best ride, I'm all for clones when its your best attraction ever.

Mission Space in Epcot will help out and when they re-do Journey into Imagination, Future world should feel complete.

The only thing is though, most of the general public won't notice or care about the slight changes that could be done to the MK to make it much better, so I son't see it happening.

Kevin Page

goofy

In an ideal world

in an ideal world we would all agree that they all need looked. Although i think ther are more than enough hotels in the Disney and Orlando area so that option can take a very back seat.

The transportation system is not ideal butbetter than the other parks. At disneyland Paris (where i have just returned from) they have to walk from the car park to the park its a long walk. Most peolpe who go to Florida rent cars wen they r there and the roads around the parks r fine (except highway 192 but they r addin more lanes to that as we speak). Par to Park transportation is however a problem. Extending the Monorail is an option but a very very expensive option i do thin this is the best option as the monorail adds to the magic (how many had been on a monorail before disney). So transportation gets a seat in front of the resorts.

Park 5. VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!! but i would say necessary after the opening of islands of adventure. Disney may be magical but it lacks the THRILL rides of IOA that draw in the teenagers and people in their 20's. The fith park i think should be based around the Disney Villans theme and should be a dark version of the magic kingdom. It should still have a castle as the centre piece but a dark, evil lookin castle. The rides should be mostly thrill rides costers a spider man type ride (at IOA its a 3d movin simulator type thing amazin) the indiana jones ride from Disneyland California(wouldnt fit in with themeing but that sort of ride would be good) a couple of splah mountain/kali river rapis type rides and to round of the park the odd show here and there and of course a parade. The fith park is a big ask of disney the most expensive option but necessaruy i think to compete with IOA and bush Gardens. but a new park would require a new transport system. Its a big circle and all are linked.

Updating the Parks. Again Expensive but not as expensive as a whole new park. It is hte most likely option and would be great. MK needs some new e-ticket attractions and possibly a new land to house them. The Fire mountain seems a good idea. Epcot is fine it is not meant to be filled with rides it si gettin Space and that will fit in well and be a grea addition. MGM is also fine it has had tower of terroe and Rokin roll rollercoaster added and these keep the thrill seekers happy. I cant see any new attractions going in here for a while. Animla kingdom badly need some new. It maybe new but there are only realy 2 rides (kali and Dinasaur) the new Dinorama is a start but a new land (beastly kingdom) would be perfect it could a house a rollercoaster as well as another e-ticket ride. Now i no like epcot AK is not meant to be filled with rollercoasters but unless they add more rides people will go 1ce and not return in the same way that do to MK. MK is the sort of place u go bak to year after year as there is lots to do where as AK there isnt much at the moment and it badly needs expansion the most (and anyway was it not in the original plans to expand it after a couple of years)

All of the above will have to be done sometime in the near future or disney will loose its place as the number1 attraction to Universal. It all comes down to money but wen did this ever stop Walt he always found a way and think of the money it would make in the long run but i am sure they dont need me to tell them. If Walt was alive today he would be amazed at how far the resort has come since he thought of all those years ago but he was never 1 to satnd still and i seemed to recall a quote drom him sayin that Disneyland will never be complete and surely this is the case with all the parks.

Enough said come on MICHEAL EISNER do somethin to the place to update it. Thank You in advance as i am sure u will

FutureCEO

they need to up date all the parks especially Ak, stop building hotels and redo the monarial sysrtem and take out the buses

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree with the previous posters who feel that updating and maintaining the infrastructure should be a priority, especially the transportation system! Adding more and more busses is not the answer!

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by marciahahn
I agree with the previous posters who feel that updating and maintaining the infrastructure should be a priority, especially the transportation system! Adding more and more busses is not the answer!

Yeah... what happened to Environmentality!?! Ol' Jiminy Cricket wouldn't like the pollution that the buses are creating!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom