Disney's Computers Are Down

CrashNet

Hello from WDW. I didn't read the entire thread, but to give a quick recap...

The Cast Member computer system was hardest hit. Many couldn't get their regular schedules yesterday...they'll probably get them today. The worm effected WDW and all other parks worldwide, ESPN, ABC, and pretty much any other company owned by Disney. It looks like they have things going pretty well again, with most antivirus software products already releasing fixes and protection. Make sure you download it if your's doesn't update automatically! :)

psuchad

disneyprep50321 said:
Too bad not everyone is using a Mac! If they were - they wouldn't be affected. :)

MAC people make me mad.:mad: If everybody was using MACs then the viruses and spyware would be written for MACs. Therefore the Windows users would not be having problems. MACs are by no means no more secure then Windows machines. It is a simple case of numbers. Why write a virus that will only infect 1% of the world's computer population (I don't know what actual market share of Apple)?

Just the other day Apple released 20, count them 20 security updates. :lookaroun If and when Microsoft releases 20 updates it is plastered all over the internet and real world newsrooms. I am not a Microsoft fanboy either. If MACs were more affordable and could do what I need them to do I would use them.<o ="">:p></o>:p>

xfkirsten

Just an addition here to the list of stuff affected:

I spent the day at DL yesterday, and the FastPass system in the parks was competely shut down by the virus.

Actually, it was rather nice. I usually scoff at the "I hate FastPass" people, but after the way lines moved yesterday, I'm more inclined to agree! :lol: (45 minute wait for Space, when it's normally 120-180)

Woody13

disneyprep50321 said:
The newsroom where I intern had problems. Too bad not everyone is using a Mac! If they were - they wouldn't be affected. :)
Mac's are not immune. If they access Windows 2000 servers (and they do) then they run into the same problems. This is not a problem for desktops. As Steve pointed out it only bothers Windows 2000 servers.

Woody13

local6.com

Computer Worm Hits Disney Computers, Locks Reservations

POSTED: 3:40 pm EDT August 17, 2005
UPDATED: 3:47 pm EDT August 17, 2005

<!--startindex-->A computer worm briefly locked up reservation systems at Walt Disney World and Disneyland theme parks, according to a Local 6 News report.

Wednesday, a computer security firm in Finland detected four new versions of the computer worm that's infected some computers in the United States.

A computer virus researcher says there are now eleven different variations of the worm, which clogs networks and reboots its host computer.

Disney was one of several large companies affected.

Among companies affected by the worm and its variations were ABC, CNN, The Associated Press, The New York Times and Caterpillar Inc. In California, San Diego County said it needed to cleanse 12,000 computers of the bug. ABC News producers had to use electric typewriters Tuesday to prepare copy for their "World News Tonight" broadcast, according to spokesman Jeffrey Schneider

Disney said its computers were up and running Wednesday afternoon.

Woody13

Zotob network virus, variants, believed to have hit Disney today

By Scott Fulton

August 17, 2005 - 18:23 EST

San mateo (CA) - A spokesperson for security provider Keynote Systems told Tom's Hardware Guide this afternoon that response times for two Web sites run by Disney - a prominent Keynote customer - dropped significantly this afternoon, presumably in the wake of a virus infection with both companies acknowledged yesterday. A bastion of new network worms, led by the so-called Zotob strain, of which some companies are reporting at least seven variants discovered thus far, began infecting major systems last Saturday, according to Trend Micro, a security software producer. The Zotob strain is itself a variant of a class of worms that security providers call RBOTs. As Tom's Hardware Guide reported on Monday, Zotob infects computers running Windows 2000, by instigating traffic through port 445, a port originally reserved for Universal Plug and Play, specifically for network peripherals that communicate their configurations to network systems using TCP/IP protocol. In Windows 2000, the buffers associated with such communications are unchecked; and on many corporate firewalls, traffic along that port is not blocked.

http://www.ad.tomshardware.com/cgi-bin/bd.m?count=762&time=QwPUEdFEPA4AAXoLbGA&location=banner2/hardnews/20050817_182341.html&dns=us&fillin=1&image=tom/blank.gif According to Keynote Systems, at approximately 2:45 pm Eastern time Wednesday afternoon, Web servers at ABC (including ABC News) and ESPN, two Disney properties, experienced greatly reduced availability: down to less than 5 percent of capacity, with load times exceeding 20 seconds per page versus the normal 4 seconds. In the accompanying graph, ABC sites are represented with a yellow line, ESPN with a blue-green line. Keynote had reported earlier that CNN also experienced a drop, but later retracted that statement due to inconclusive data.

Keynote Systems posted a page late this afternoon with live data from its 40 prime business customers, showing relative levels of network service. The page does not give indicators as to the potential cause of service quality reductions.

The vulnerability which the Zotob network worm exploits was first announced on August 9, in warnings simultaneously published by Microsoft and by Internet Security Systems, the company Microsoft credited with discovering the vulnerability. Microsoft immediately issued a patch in accordance with the warning. However, a Trend Micro report released this afternoon points out, the first reports of virus infection were received only four days later - a new record.

David Perry, global director of education for Trend Micro, believes Zotob may signal the beginning of a new class of viruses: one which gives off the savvy of the boot-sector viruses of the 1980s, complete with their cute and semi-threatening messages, but not requiring the same level of intellect. This wave, believes Perry, is triggered by Microsoft's own security memos: "All of the network viruses, from Code Red on out, follow on after Microsoft's patch announcements, without fail," Perry told Tom's Hardware Guide. "The reason for that is simple: The people who are writing the viruses only find out about the vulnerabilities that they're exploiting, from the Microsoft technical bulletins. That's their source of information. Every time there's been one that has been exploitable, it's ended up being exploited. It's like 100 percent turnover."

Malware writers, stated Perry, are being affected now by what he calls the "zero-day effect:" "A 'zero-day' would be any time you have a virus or an exploit that is released before there is a patch available, but approaching zero-day is as good as zero-day, for most intents and purposes." The race is on among malware writers to do as much damage and gain as much notoriety as possible, from the time Microsoft announces a vulnerability to the time it's effectively patched.

In an e-mail late today, Counterpane chief technology officer Bruce Schneier agreed, stating, "The 'window of exposure' between vulnerability announcement and patching is a prime target."

The last customers to patch their operating systems, believes Perry, are large networks, for several reasons. Among them, they spend the most time testing the waters when planning their network operating system migrations. Also, they may have the most to lose, especially in the case of major news organizations--including The New York Times, ABC News, and CNN, which reported infections this week--who are still bound to Windows 2000 because their asset management systems may not have been upgraded to take advantage of Windows Server 2003's new authentication system. In newer Windows operating systems, processes such as the one that takes over port 445 in Zotob, cannot gain access to that port because they cannot properly authenticate themselves. In many applications written for Windows 2000, process authentication was bypassed, and for some applications to this day, have yet to be rewritten.

"Contrary to conventional wisdom," stated Perry, "large system, enterprise-level networks are, generally speaking, a little more cautious about when they run the upgrades to new operating systems, so it was the large companies that were more susceptible to this worm than the individual home users."

Perry disputed reports from security software vendor F-Secure that multiple variants of the virus, including one which actually removes earlier variants, is an indication of any kind of "malware gang war." Referring to the malware writers, Perry said, "We don't know what their motivation might be. It could be because of the double-sunspot cycles. I'm not able to reach into that guy's brain and come up with a cogent reason why they do things. A lot of people try to, [but] there's a long jump between speculation and reality."

PKD

Orlando Local 6 had their "big story" regarding Disney's Computers tonight. They did however report that all sytems are up and running.

DisneyinBigD

I am really surprised that Disney would not be runing Linux/Unix/AIX to support their park infrastructure. I understand the need for Windows as a desktop platform and email server platform but I certainly would never trust the operation of a ride like ToT to Windows. I know that the cash registers were still working because they are on 4690 OS and are imune to virus's. Does any one know if WDW really used windows based servers to operate their rides?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DisneyinBigD said:
I am really surprised that Disney would not be runing Linux/Unix/AIX to support their park infrastructure. I understand the need for Windows as a desktop platform and email server platform but I certainly would never trust the operation of a ride like ToT to Windows. I know that the cash registers were still working because they are on 4690 OS and are imune to virus's. Does any one know if WDW really used windows based servers to operate their rides?

Mission critical elements are ran on custom hardware, and an inhouse developed O/S specifically for attractions (a lot of it developed by WDI). A lot of it is also embedded into silicon, and wouldnt even know the meaning of the word virus.

The systems that failed recently are the non-critical system.

DisneyinBigD

wdwmagic said:
Mission critical elements are ran on custom hardware, and an inhouse developed O/S specifically for attractions (a lot of it developed by WDI). A lot of it is also embedded into silicon, and wouldnt even know the meaning of the word virus.

The systems that failed recently are the non-critical system.

Thanks for the info Steve. Very interesting.

wannab@dis

edwardtc said:
I'm glad our company runs UNIX servers! Poo on you Windows and Mac users :lol:

Interesting how most people (including the media) don't get the philosophy of virus makers. They don't make the viruses for the 1% that use *nix or mac. They want the biggest bang for their work. I believe Apple just released a couple of dozen of security patches. That's more than MS has released in a long time for W2K.

njblackberry

edwardtc said:
I'm glad our company runs UNIX servers! Poo on you Windows and Mac users :lol:
BFD; how about your desktops? This was desktop (or most likely laptop) initiated and spread to other desktops, clogging networks as it went.

So unless you are in the < 1% of places with Unix desktops, then the poo is on everyone :(

peter11435

DisneyinBigD said:
As steve pointed out, none of the rides or attractions were hit by this. Also none run on Windows and all are virtually immune to almost anything. I don't know what type of system the cash registars are on but I have seen them all out in the past.

SewIn2Disney

On a completly different subject from the past few pages.....but the disney direct misspelling has been fixed. I emailed customer service, and they emailed me back saying thank you for bringing it to their attention, and it was fixed quickly.

But...I still think it was funny.....and Grizz, I love your avatar.

Yen_Sid1

peter11435 said:
As steve pointed out, none of the rides or attractions were hit by this. Also none run on Windows and all are virtually immune to almost anything. I don't know what type of system the cash registars are on but I have seen them all out in the past.

But some rides receive inputs from Windows based systems, and they can be easily overridden though. They might affect the ride temporarily, but it doesn't affect the ride system at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom