Rumor Disney's 100th Anniversary

Ayla

Some of the audio isn’t syncing perfectly which makes this creepy for me.

But I find all of the holograms of the dead to be creepy.
100% agree. My first thought yesterday when I first learned of it was exactly "creepy ".

Last edited by a moderator:

Heath

The way these holograms work is relatively simple. It’s really not a dimensional “hologram” as we see in sci-fi movies. The 3D projection is an optical illusion that only works from straight-on views. A vertically mounted bright projector is beamed from above or below onto a transparent screen surface such as mylar. If one weren’t looking straight on and from the side he would see nothing but the thin edge of the screen from the side. Basically a Peppers Ghost effect. Finding good video footage and editing the figure so it has no background and good bright high definition is the more challenging part.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I agree with the above posts about the Walt voice synchronization. Those samples look bad. But I found this clip, and the sync looks a lot better:

As a hologram, I don't think this looks bad at all. I do have mixed feelings about using the image of Walt this way, but it's better than an animatronic IMO. In my view, if the Robert Iger Company actually followed Walt's philosophy, then perhaps this use would seem more fitting. But we all know the company parted ways with that philosophy some time back, so this hologram just seems cynically exploitative.

Inspired Figment

My thoughts;
Maybe, just maybe... we shouldn't be putting words Walt himself doesn't have the ability to approve of, coming out of his own mouth with a complete recreation of 'his' voice & likeness that almost completely passes off as the real deal.. eh?
One thing to get an actor that can play him, etc... to say things that aren't him.. but another to use his 'own' voice & likeness manipulated..
Just wait and see... we'll eventually start seeing him this way in a new version of the Wonderful World of Color/Disneyland of him talking, by veratim of corporate speeches about how important immersion & storytelling and bringing beloved Disney film & television stories & characters to life is the heart & soul of Imagineering. Yeeeah..
Let the man rest in peace, and let us honor what he 'actually said along with the spirit, talent, and qualities we can learn from that's actually legit/made..not artificial. Thanks.
The difference between this & Great Moments with Lincoln, for instance. Is that in the pre show, Walt goes out of his way to explain the "how' and why' they did it and showcases the people behind the A figure, Blaine Gibson who did the molds/sculpting, etc.
On top of it, it's not 'actual' footage of Lincoln nor his real voice being manipulated. It's original artwork depicted by artists, an 'actor' portraying him. And his 'actual’ Gettysburg address being said. Not words unsaid by him. So please, don't argue with me that it's the same thing. It isn't.... not a fan...

Virtual Toad

I agree with the above posts about the Walt voice synchronization. Those samples look bad. But I found this clip, and the sync looks a lot better:

As a hologram, I don't think this looks bad at all. I do have mixed feelings about using the image of Walt this way, but it's better than an animatronic IMO. In my view, if the Robert Iger Company actually followed Walt's philosophy, then perhaps this use would seem more fitting. But we all know the company parted ways with that philosophy some time back, so this hologram just seems cynically exploitative.

Frankly, it smacks of the company proclaiming "Walt is whoever we say he is." Which is more than a bit disturbing. Especially if the words and mannerisms (but especially the words) are not his own.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Truth be told, I think the idea of an animatronic Walt is better than that… atleast it’s not ‘actual’ footage of him doctored to have him say things he never actually said. One thing if it was just him projected with him saying what he actually said, his real movements, etc... but otherwise. Nope. And again, with the AA, would depend. If it were his actual speech undoctored, or his actual words protrayed by an actor, that’d be fine. But otherwise, no.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

Consider as well that this is coming from a company in which sincerity (which Walt himself ironically personified) was at the very least a valued pillar of the company's messaging (and/or marketing strategy).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've been doing a lot of AI voice work lately (a LOT-- thousands of lines and hours of voice work)-- but for a project developing a fictional character. The AI "Walt" voice seems too "flat"-- not enough pitch up and down.

From my experience using AI character voices over the last few years, this seems to be a big limitation. AI still can't seem to get the "pitch" right when trying to emphasize certain words.

Funny, a few days ago after the Super Bowl ad, I questioned whether that was actually Walt's voice and words, or AI at the end of the spot. Would love to know the answer to that one. Was that really Walt saying the quote in his own words, or an AI "Walt" reciting a modern-day corporate script?
Wasn't Walt rather monotone anyway?

In the video above, he goes up on the word 'right' because there's more to the sentence. And when he gets to the end of the sentence, he goes down. Which is perfectly normal preferred inflection.

I believe they're using actual sound clips but the 'actor' is AI.

brb1006

I’m going to see the exhibit in Philadelphia next week. It says over 250 props, writings, costumes and original ride vehicles. This sounds like it should be good, I’m hoping any!

I remember really loving The King Tut Exhibit that was held at The Franklin Institute years back. I remember the tour have guests wearing interactive headphones that was perfectly synced as you was touring and walking around the exhibit. I'll never forget that experience where it was entirely told by the narrator instead of a tour guide. :)

ToTBellHop

So we all know the “spy balloons” are really aliens and this is exactly what it looks like when aliens try to impersonate humans. I won’t be fooled.

celluloid

Wasn't Walt rather monotone anyway?

In the video above, he goes up on the word 'right' because there's more to the sentence. And when he gets to the end of the sentence, he goes down. Which is perfectly normal preferred inflection.

I believe they're using actual sound clips but the 'actor' is AI.

They are using the same AI actor tech that was used for Hagrid in the preshow of HMCMA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom