Rumor Disney's 100th Anniversary

celluloid

Less creepy because Robbie was alive at the time.

Indeed. But that was just Robbie's face. Just speaking on the technology. It is not him, that is just his face on another actor's body and there is some offenses to it that is not quite matched when you know this and watch the preshow.

He definitely looks too clean skinned and younger for what most people know him as in the era where he would be presenting himself this way.

About 15 years ago I thought Edward Norton would have made a Walt just before the era of his apex personality on TV. I think this gives me the idea of what he would have looked like in the role.

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I agree with the above posts about the Walt voice synchronization. Those samples look bad. But I found this clip, and the sync looks a lot better:

As a hologram, I don't think this looks bad at all. I do have mixed feelings about using the image of Walt this way, but it's better than an animatronic IMO. In my view, if the Robert Iger Company actually followed Walt's philosophy, then perhaps this use would seem more fitting. But we all know the company parted ways with that philosophy some time back, so this hologram just seems cynically exploitative.

Thanks for sharing that, this one looks awesome imho...guess would have to see it in person to fully appreciate the effect.;)

TalkingHead

And the technology was used for a fictitious character, not one of the most influential historical figures of the 20th century.

One is a reasonable use of technology (assuming the actor is fairly compensated). The other crosses a line.
As I recall some critics said the Lincoln animatronic crossed a line, too. I don’t personally think it’s a 1:1 comparison since the robot actor never fools the audience into believing he’s the real Lincoln, and the AI is an attempt to create a photorealistic version of Walt Disney (complete with ghastly anachronistic hand movements apparently). But the point stands that they’re more similar than not.

Smiley/OCD

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much older stuff they included, but my expectations were probably pretty low. I know I saw Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Steamboat Willie, Fantasia, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Mulan, Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland.

That said, they were mainly short clips (Mary Poppins excepted) with longer segments on more recent IP, and it did feel strange to spend so much time on stuff like Star Wars.
That’s because they have to fill up that Starcruiser hotel…

Inspired Figment

Theres an easy way to utilize walt more and increase the disney plus library. Release all of the Disney specials, and wonderful world of colors etc that walt hosted. There is so much footage that they could rerelease and remind people of the man and not just a hologram.
I’m beginning to think the reason is for inner company political reasons to push a false narrative/vision than anything else at this point.

Tha Realest

I've been doing a lot of AI voice work lately (a LOT-- thousands of lines and hours of voice work)-- but for a project developing a fictional character. The AI "Walt" voice seems too "flat"-- not enough pitch up and down.

From my experience using AI character voices over the last few years, this seems to be a big limitation. AI still can't seem to get the "pitch" right when trying to emphasize certain words.

Funny, a few days ago after the Super Bowl ad, I questioned whether that was actually Walt's voice and words, or AI at the end of the spot. Would love to know the answer to that one. Was that really Walt saying the quote in his own words, or an AI "Walt" reciting a modern-day corporate script?

As far as the hologram is concerned, my wife immediately noticed the hand gestures were inauthentic as well.

Sure, people our age who've seen and heard enough of the real Walt Disney can spot a fake "Walt" when we see one, but what's to stop the Walt Disney Company from replacing the real Walt Disney and his true legacy (good and bad) with their own corporatized version of "Walt?"

Frankly, this trend toward using "deep fake" AI and ChatGPT have me terrified for our children's future. Reality itself can never be trusted once these genies are fully let out of the bottle. And with so much $$$ involved, there is little chance our corporate (and political?) leaders will exercise any sort of restraint.

Any instance of "deep fake AI" or computer-generated writing should have to carry a mandatory disclaimer. Period. Orwell spoke of a future where computers generated music, art and literature. And here we are.

It seems there are very few days lately when I don't wake up and/or try to go to sleep while enduring panic attacks and anxiety. Sigh.
This looks like that dude that showed up at Dapper Days and hugged Mickey Mouse

DisneyDebRob

I went yesterday and the hologram,which I was ready to cringe at wasn’t as bad as the video. It really immersed you in 3d all around you and was done good. I’ll post the full video below. It really doesn’t do it justice unless you were there. As for the whole exhibition I thought it was well done with each room separated by innoventions.. the parks.. etc, with some very cool exhibits. I haven’t been that positive on things Disney has been doing the last few years but this was well worth it. IMO
9C06A30B-B6AA-4A50-B037-A3A92893BB42.jpeg
5765CEB9-EEEA-46CE-811E-1E5A0B6C6E72.jpeg
79029C40-6CE2-4B68-A718-2403B4A483FC.jpeg
1076F960-4145-4DD7-AFAD-3F5A60B9C0F6.jpeg

I can’t seem to get the full video to upload but I’ll try later when I have more time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom