Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island to close (will WDW's follow suit?)

Chape19714

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a "Pirate Island" was already being developed for the old Treasure Island/Discovery Island location in WDW as we speak.

I like the Pirate theme for DL on Tom Saywer but not in Frontierland in WDW
Don't think so. I know Jim Hill reported something of a pirate park...but that rumor should have stopped there, I highly doubt it is going to happen. They demolished the dock, and the island is a bird sancuatary, and it would take years to recover.

SGT623

Just a week or so ago Disney was doing some heavy hinting to it in their online surveys. Polling interest in a boat cuise with pirates to the island where there would be a feast and treasure hunting. Maybe still blue sky but if it is in the survey, maybe not.

mrtoad

Just a week or so ago Disney was doing some heavy hinting to it in their online surveys. Polling interest in a boat cuise with pirates to the island where there would be a feast and treasure hunting. Maybe still blue sky but if it is in the survey, maybe not.

They use to do that years ago for kids. I went in the 70s from the Poly with a bunch of pirates and we went to Treasure Island and roasted marshmellows and did a treasure hunt. It was a way to give parents a break I think and go out to eat.

dxwwf3

I can't complain much about this since I've never been to Tom Sawyer Island. I've always wanted to go over there, but for one reason or another, we usually get sidetracked. I will definitely check it out on my next trip though just in case.

Personally I don't think much can be done with our version at WDW unless they stay with the Frontierland theme. I haven't made it out to DL yet (Next summer can't come soon enough), but from what I have read on this thread and other places, it looks like Disney can make it work at DL. We'll have to wait and see if this gets the green light or not.

MickeyTigg

I HATE the idea of changing Tom Sawyer's Island over to a Pirate's Island. And this is from someone who have NEVER gone over to the Island. It's bad enough they changed a classic attraction and have more changes in store. I understand this is a case of "corporate synergy" and wanting to wring EVERY last cent out of the Pirates franchise but they should leave well enough alone....PLEASE! :)

I haven't gone with the kids to Tom Sawyer Island in years but not more Pirates....they're going to kill the franchise if they aren't careful. They're going to do to Pirates what they did with Stitch. People don't dislike Stitch because of the movie....they dislike him because he's everywhere.

I don't think TSI is sacred and never be replaced....but not pirates.

Lee

Adventurer
My two pennies....
None of that stuff about TSI at DL is a done deal. It's just a concept that has a few fans in fairly high places....like putting Will and Liz in Pirates.

Oh, and WDW's island does not have the same concept. No way to squeeze it in thematically the way it can be done at DL.

Personally...I kinda like it....but only if they bring back Skull Rock.:D

mousermerf

Account Suspended
My two pennies....
None of that stuff about TSI at DL is a done deal. It's just a concept that has a few fans in fairly high places....like putting Will and Liz in Pirates.

Oh, and WDW's island does not have the same concept. No way to squeeze it in thematically the way it can be done at DL.

I think many people don't realize just how DL's pirates really is on the waterfront with New Orleans Square at Disneyland and it pretty much faces Tom Sawyer Island. It's nothing like WDW's tucked into the fort in Adventureland.

Thematicly, it'd be pretty easy to convert the island at DL into perhaps Tortuga. At WDW, the island is nowhere near Pirates and is surrounded by lands which would clash pretty badly.

MickeyTigg

My two pennies....

Good point about the geography....as for Skull Rock...well...that changes everything.

Figment571

:cry: A tear shed for those lost. I was out in Califonia (sp?) this summer but Iwasn't able to go to the island, but I know that that area when it was first built was designed by Walt himself. So you know, kind of sad to ,maybe see it go.But the only way progress s made is through change. Dust in the wind.

But hopefully they don't over dose on the pirates like Stich. You know they have never used Lilo, I like her:p .

CThaddeus

This is the second time I've seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that the Pirate ship and Skull Rock were not located in New Orleans Square, Frontierland, or Adventureland in Disneyland. They were both in Fantasyland, sitting where Dumbo sits now. Just wanted to set the record straight.
Others have mentioned that no one really goes to Tom Sawyer's Island anymore. Interesting. I go to Disneyland approximately once every two weeks. There are always people running around the island during the day (it's closed at night, of course, for Fantasmic!), so I don't quite understand the assertion. Of Disney's "playground" areas, this one is without a doubt the best of them all, and even now at age 36 I still love to go over to the Island and take a stroll or make my way through all the caves (though the latter does get harder the older - and bigger - one gets). Could they update it here and there? Sure. Everything deserves that once in a while. But to completely change it to look like a pirate island? That doesn't fit the theming of the area at either Disneyland (a giant sandbar across the way from the Haunted Mansion?) or The Magic Kingdom (same thing, actually).
This is just another example of what happens when suits are allowed to make creative decisions. Can't they leave any of Walt's classic designs alone?

dazzer68

tsi

i like the island @ wdw altho only been twice! the drag is having to get the rafts to it and then to wait to get back off! when yo want to move on to the next attraction( which attraction do you q' up for to get off?)perhaps build a bridge connecing to mainland would up its visitr numbers

Lee

Adventurer
This is the second time I've seen this mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that the Pirate ship and Skull Rock were not located in New Orleans Square, Frontierland, or Adventureland in Disneyland. They were both in Fantasyland, sitting where Dumbo sits now. Just wanted to set the record straight.

I had no idea there WAS any confusion..:veryconfu
Skull Rock at DL was of course in Fantasyland.

However, in Disneyland Paris it is in Adventureland, more specifically on Adventure Isle. Were DL to retheme TSI to a version of Adventure Isle I would have no complaint whatsoever.:D

prberk

I haven't gone with the kids to Tom Sawyer Island in years but not more Pirates....they're going to kill the franchise if they aren't careful. They're going to do to Pirates what they did with Stitch. People don't dislike Stitch because of the movie....they dislike him because he's everywhere.

I don't think TSI is sacred and never be replaced....but not pirates.

Sounds like Disney hasn't learned from the overkill of "Who Wants to Be a Millionnaire" (which almost grounded the ABC Network after they put it all over the schedule until they killed it -- then had nothing to replace it with), or Stitch... or anything else that they kill.

Walt had it right when he used to say, "Leave them wanting a little more." They don't need more Pirates. The attraction itself is enough.

And, as for Tom Sawyer, it is a timeless classic that is never trendy but always relevant. It crosses generations and is universally recognized -- and should be. The island itself is also a good counterpoint to the short-attention-span attractions all around. It is good to have it. A good place for kids to run and play and simply wait to be entertained. I am not against entertainment, but I think it is best as part of a balance with things like TSI -- something that requires some imagination, and a place where Grandpa can sit and watch the kids climb -- and share some interactive time together.

Paul

MainSt1993

Now, I have not been to Disneyland, and I don't know the exact layout, but didn't they at on time have a skull rock and pirate ship? I mean, there could certainly be a connection there.

They did indeed - it was in Fantasyland, and tied in with Peter Pan. I believe there was a restaurant in the pirate ship, presented by Chicken of the Sea. Archievists - please correct me if I'm wrong!

I also share a lot of your concerns. I didn't have the sort of visceral reaction I had to the notion of the Tiki Room being changed (I hate the one at WDW), but at the same time I'm not an absolute purist. But there is something to be said for this flash in the pan hype for Pirates. I can't sit through the whole movie already. Whereas I could totally sit down and pick up any book by Mark Twain on a rainy weekend day and delight in the adventures of his characters. That...and the theming. It's less of a problem for DL than MK, but it's a problem nonetheless for both. What happens to the Mark Twain paddleboat? It currently makes sense. Does it make sense sailing around a tropical island? Does the Columbia? Do they scrap the historical value of the Columbia and turn it into a pirate ship permanently?

I have to admit, I think the last time I was on TSI was over a decade ago when I worked there, and had a Fantasmic shift. But I always loved it as a kid. I'm not convinced scrapping it is a flat out bad idea, but I'm also not convinced it needs re-theming. I'd much rather see them put some TLC into DCA, bring back the PeopleMovers, and replace that rotating Best Buy called Innoventions.

Since1976

Considering that TSI is often tops on the list of "Attractions People Always Skip" on these forums, I'm not surprised.

Still, I really regret never taking a raft over, considering I've been to Disneyland and WDW 7 times now.

MickeyTigg

I had no idea there WAS any confusion..:veryconfu
Skull Rock at DL was of course in Fantasyland.

However, in Disneyland Paris it is in Adventureland, more specifically on Adventure Isle. Were DL to retheme TSI to a version of Adventure Isle I would have no complaint whatsoever.:D

More importantly Lee....and this is why I don't see what the confusion is....Skull Rock isn't anywhere at DL now.....so they can put it anywhere they want if they decide to bring it back.

eastvillage

A TERRIBLE idea in my opinion.

First off, Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are classic American figures (as well as a classic DL/MK attraction) based off a classic American novel. I don't care how many kids today know about them (which, from what I've personally seen, many of them actually DO associate with them), Jack Sparrow is NOT a sufficient replacement for them.

POTC has nothing to do with the American frontier, or colonial America. Why would a old-time steamboat be sailing around a tropical island? Are there tropical islands in Missouri, or along the Mississippi River? Were tropical pirate-filled islands common in the American frontier? I don't think so...

There is only so much that can be done with pirates...and what happens when the movie-hype dies down? Frontierland and Liberty Square are both lands dedicated to celebrating American history and heritage, and TSI also acts as a great, quiet, out of the way place to rest in the middle of the day. To see it go away would be very, very sad.

Besides, according to the article, this idea mostly came from Burbank executives who really don't care about theme or story, but rather promoting the latest film and making a quick buck. Perhaps they could 'kind-of' pull it off (i really wouldn't like it though) at DL with NoS, and POTC being right across the river from the island, and a pirate ship (Columbia) sailing around (and their fort also being closed), but this better not happen at MK...

I completely agree with you. I would be very upset to see this happen at WDW. I just went over to TSI a few months ago after not going for over a decade and still think its a wonderful place for kids (and adults) to run around, play and explore in a charming American themed environment.

And where does the pirate theming stop? Next they'll be talking about changing Hall of Presidents into Hall of Pirates...lol...j/k(scary thought).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom