Disneyland's spell fades in expectant Hong Kong

Woody13

Original Poster
Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:40 PM ET

By Dominic Whiting

HONG KONG, Dec 21 (Reuters) - Mickey Mouse operation or scapegoat?

After three months, Hong Kong Disneyland is struggling to meet the city's hopes for an economic shot in the arm, with some retailers and politicians complaining the $1.8 billion theme park is luring too few tourists.

Customers, on the other hand, have complained of long queues and too few attractions. Local media have seized on every misstep, airing the complaints of disgruntled employees and a local pop star's account of rude treatment by park staff.

"It's too small and too expensive," said Maurice Wong, a 22-year old violinist from Taiwan who visited Disneyland with his orchestra during a tour to Hong Kong. "A lot of people told us before we came that this Disneyland is not good enough."

Scrutiny is itensified by the fact that the local government paid $2 billion to build infrastructure to support the park.

Hong Kong Disneyland's vice president for marketing, Roy Tan, said expectations were too high when Hong Kong was recovering from an outbreak of the SARS respiratory disease in 2003.

"We were supposed to be the silver bullet for all the issues Hong Kong faced -- unemployment, the economy, service culture," Tan, a former Hong Kong professional soccer player, told Reuters.

"But we have always said we are part of the destination of Hong Kong, not the destination. People don't come here just to see Hong Kong Disney and fly out."

Walt Disney Co. (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) has gone on the offensive on visitor numbers, announcing last month the resort had drawn 1 million guests in its first 100 days.

Last Tuesday, the 30,000 capacity park said for the first time that all available tickets were sold on a day when schools were closed while Hong Kong hosted a World Trade Organisation meeting. It did not say how many tickets had been sold.

But a visitor that day told Reuters he saw none of the hour-long queues for three-minute rides common when Hong Kong was abuzz with Disney fever in mid-September.

"It was quite busy, but not exactly crowded. We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes for any of the rides," said Aaron Barguss-Smith.

BUZZ

Before the park opened, some 18,000 people turned up to ride on the first day of train services to its entrance, taking their photographs by the Mickey Mouse-shaped windows and hand grips.

Investment bank CLSA upgraded its forecast for Hong Kong's economic growth to 6.7 percent from 6.4 percent because Disney enthusiasm was expected to lift consumer and business confidence.

Disney refuses to release daily attendance numbers, but Tan said the park was on course to meet its target of 5.6 million visitors in its first year, an average of over 15,000 per day.

Disney's figures for its first 100 days, including free trials, imply above 10,000 visitors a day. A count by the South China Morning Post newspaper in November showed nearly 13,000 people visited on a Sunday and 11,399 on a Wednesday.

The Hong Kong government, which has a 57 percent stake in Disneyland, estimates the park will generate $19 billion in revenue over 40 years, creating 18,000 jobs across the economy in its first year. Some 5.3 percent of the city's 7 million people are unemployed, with 2.4 percent classed as underemployed.

But the Democrat party has been critical of Disney during debates in Hong Kong's legislative council, after it received complaints about working conditions from a union for Disneyland staff. Workers said breaks from heavy costumes were too few.

"I don't think Disney is seen as a peoples' park," Democrat chairman Lee Wing-tat told Reuters. "We're very concerned about the way it now operates, about transparency and whether it's a good employer."

NOT SOLD

While Hong Kong Disneyland, with its Winnie the Pooh ride and Buzz Lightyear shooting gallery, is popular with children some visitors note it doesn't cater as much to adults as the far larger Disney parks in the United States, France and Japan.

Disneyland, which sells adult tickets for nearly $40, is focusing its marketing efforts on mainland China and Hong Kong, which each supply about one third of visitors, and Taiwan.

In China the park promotes itself with Disney feature films on television to familiarise people with its characters, and also pushes the resort as a family-friendly convention venue.

Hong Kong received a monthly record of 2.14 million visitors in October, up 6 percent from 2004, but retailers still complain.

"The Disneyland effect is lower than expected," the chairman of cosmetics retailer Sa Sa, Simon Kwok, lamented in late November after reporting a fall in his company's profits.

Tan was not impressed. "If retail sales were good they would talk up their great marketing strategy, not Disneyland," he said. ($1=7.8 Hong Kong dollar)

CaptainMichael

Hopefully with additions of more thrilling attractions, things will change. I can imagine that it is probably quite boring at the moment. How many times can one ride Space Mountain? More E-Tickets are the way to go.

Shaman

Maybe this will make the company rethink their global theme park expansion plans. I think the idea is flawed...As for HKDL people don't want half of something good...but people shouldn't complain now...wait a couple of years, for the other phases to be completed. Just my opinion, anyway.

cherrynegra

objr said:
Maybe this will make the company rethink their global theme park expansion plans. I think the idea is flawed...As for HKDL people don't want half of something good...but people shouldn't complain now...wait a couple of years, for the other phases to be completed. Just my opinion, anyway.

I agree that their global expansion plans appear to be flawed. Especially when they open parks with fewer attractions. People really don't like to be cheated. Unfortunately people have been saying and writing about the Chinese being cheated with a small park for a couple years before it even opened. I don't really blame people expecting a park like DL in Anaheim or MK in Orlando but wind up getting something smaller. And having TDL in the neighborhood doesn't help either when they compare their HK park with others.

wannab@dis

cherrynegra said:
I agree that their global expansion plans appear to be flawed. Especially when they open parks with fewer attractions. People really don't like to be cheated. Unfortunately people have been saying and writing about the Chinese being cheated with a small park for a couple years before it even opened. I don't really blame people expecting a park like DL in Anaheim or MK in Orlando but wind up getting something smaller. And having TDL in the neighborhood doesn't help either when they compare their HK park with others.
But do you think some of the problems are the negative media portrayal of a park that is not "completed"? When WDW first opened, it was only MK and it didn't have the number of attractions that are there now. Maybe I just see it as an unfair judgement to assume a new park would be a huge and attraction filled park on day one.

For people that have visited the other parks, their view of the park may be that it's not as big as the other parks, but for first time visitors, they may not have that view if the media didn't feed it to them. *shrug*

I don't think this spells failure for Disney's global expansion, but it may lead them to slow down their plans so they can afford to build bigger parks from the outset. To me, that doesn't make financial sense because it could lead to bigger losses if it doesn't take off, but it would help from a marketing standpoint.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think when WDW opened Phase one it was such a new and bold concept it didn`t matter there were only 18 (ish) attractions of any kind. Everyone wanted to see the new Disneyland, and there was only Disneyland like it anywhere else. Nowerdays, people demand everything at the same time - themed parks are two a penny (not comparing Disney to anywhere else BTW) and Disney is expected to be the best, anywhere, anytime.

I agree the expansion with small parks is flawed in the 21st century, and would have thought at least one or two unique, blockbuster E Tickets was the least HKDL could offer (SM, as good as it seems, is not this) - something more on the size and scale of DLP`s PotC for example.

imagineer boy

Well, it's like this. You give an A potential project, but it's half baked and not really complete. So you go "I'm sorry. I promise I'll make it better!" But the teacher won't care, and will give you an F off the bat. Now, you can try to expand the project by adding new things to it, but it will only add you up to atleast a C. Instead, if you turn in an A potential project that's atleast good enough for a B, you can add more for extra credit and the whole thing will add up to an A.

Perhaps if HKDL had started out the park with atleast B grade material, they would't be having these problems.

wannab@dis

imagineer boy said:
Well, it's like this. You give an A potential project, but it's half baked and not really complete. So you go "I'm sorry. I promise I'll make it better!" But the teacher won't care, and will give you an F off the bat. Now, you can try to expand the project by adding new things to it, but it will only add you up to atleast a C. Instead, if you turn in an A potential project that's atleast good enough for a B, you can add more for extra credit and the whole thing will add up to an A.

Perhaps if HKDL had started out the park with atleast B grade material, they would't be having these problems.
But who is to say that it's up to par? Have you been there?

Here's the deal... we won't hear from all the people that think the park is really great. Good opinions are rarely reported, but vocal negative reviews (even if a small minority) will always be highlighted. Also, you have to remember that many of the negatives about HKDL comes from political parties that were against this project from the beginning.

This same thing happens in the states all the time. Just look at the incidents this year at WDW that created such negative press and ended up being non-issues concerning safety. ;)

cherrynegra

I actually did a blog search a couple weeks after the opening of the park because I wanted to read the opinions of the people who have been to the park. I already read what was being reported in the media and I wanted to see what else was being written. The blogs I read were written by locals and people who had travelled there to see the park. They all said pretty much the same thing. It's a beautiful park, it's small, it needs more attractions. Negative reporting in the media aside, I think people who have been there are relating their feelings about the park after having been there. The one theme that runs in all of what I've read is the lack of attractions.

Now, Ocean Park is another theme park in HK. I am in NO way saying Ocean Park is better or equals the Disney park. However, comparatively they have more attractions. (I could be wrong on this point and would be happy to be corrected.) So I think it's only natural for people to have expected more from the Disney park in terms of attractions when they know they can find more attractions in a lesser park. Just my thoughts.

wannab@dis

I agree that the park needs more attractions, but I was wondering if the park was receiving negatives from the "normal everyday visitors". Based on your blog searches, that case may be true. However, my view that people will take the time to write negative opinions more often than positive ones may still be true.

I guess I would see it as "Rome wasn't built in a day" and would be willing to give them some leeway. Hopefully, the park will be popular enough that they will be able to continue to add to it and grow it over the years.

BTW... this is the same way I took DAK. It's now one of my favorite parks and EE will only help. :D

Wendell

Okay, I'm going to try this again and I hope no one gets irritated this time...

Here are the great things about Hong Kong Disneyland that I didn't get to say in an earlier thread:

The train service to the park is very timely and efficient.

The souvenirs and trinkets offered in the stores were much more diversified and imaginative than what I observed at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea
a month before. The only problem was trying to fight your way in line to pay for something!

While kind of expensive (as all Disney parks tend to be), I appreciated the versions of local cuisine that were offered in the restaurants. The sticky rice and Chinese pork hash were pretty good. Again, the only problem was the pushing and shoving in the lines as well as for finding a table and it wasn't even during a traditional meal hour.

The color palette used to decorate the buildings and different Lands were very rich in warmth. The park, at least what there is of it, is very richly themed and a feast for the eyes. This was probably the only facet that surpassed the other Parks in comparison.

The Space Mountain ride is identical to the newly revamped version that debuted in California Disneyland recently. The Buzz Lightyear ride is also identical to the California version all the way down to how the queue is layed out.

The Winnie the Pooh ride is also identical to the US counterparts which I found to be sad and a disappointment given the fact that the version in Tokyo Disneyland was about 2 light year generations ahead of all the other versions. If they were going to clone a ride, why didn't they clone the expensive one where the ride vehicles moved independently on a track of imbedded wire similar to Ellen's Energy Adventure at Epcot?

Instead they put the cheap less costly version in for whatever reason we will probably never know. To me, this one choice indicates that whomever was making the financial decisions was opting to do it on the cheap.

Next to the shoving and cutting in lines, the only other hardship I expereinced that day was trying to answer questions from my three nephews, ages 4, 5 and 12.

They have been to Disneyland and Disneyworld each a few times. And after about 3 hours of touring the Park, we were practically finished with most of the major attractions. However, they kept asking to go on the pirate ride, and where's the haunted house with the ghosts and when are they going to fly on the Peter Pan boats. I had to keep telling them that they don't have that ride here and looking perplexed, they couldn't understand why.

I guess the point is that even kids, just like adults have a basic set notion in their head about what a Disney experience should include and all of the other Parks had these three basic rides, so why couldn't Hong Kong?

Maybe there is someone here better in history that might know if these basic attractions were not available during the first year of operation at the other parks either. Of course, it probably would not be fair to include Disneyland in California since it was the lead prototype.

jrriddle

Wendell said:
Maybe there is someone here better in history that might know if these basic attractions were not available during the first year of operation at the other parks either. Of course, it probably would not be fair to include Disneyland in California since it was the lead prototype.

Yup. TDL, DLP & WDW's MK all had the "classics" at opening. Except DLP, they got Space Mountain after opening instead of the incredible Discovery Mountain meant for Phase 2. But they had PotC, HM, IASW, PP etc at opening.

Figment1986

This shows disney the park is popular, and they need to work on expanding it now, add a AM in adventure land (to keep with the tradition of HM is a different land.. ) and add something else... good rides people love... esp high hourly vcapacity rides, then add the E tickets afterwords...

nickcarraway

I think Disney (and the media and the rest of the world) want HKDL and DLP to be vacation destinations like WDW and DL and Tokyo, but you really can't just build vacation destinations from scratch. It takes years of cultivation. Walt Disney World wasn't built in a day. Sure, when WDW was built, it didn't have as many rides or parks -- and it also didn't have all the resorts, shops, DVC and other accourtrments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom