Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
20191122-Daisy-Ridley-04.jpg

This is no way me saying she isn't pretty, but that belt line was 'shopped from here to Shanghai. Shirt and belly tucked into the top of jeans just doesn't look like that on anyone, no matter how thin their waistline may be. Interesting that her freckles end at her neckline. That's some weird genetics right there. Was this a photo shoot for some other SciFi movie?

JD2000

So after looking at more videos; the Transport Ship almost certainly tilts forward (as well as backward). It also seems to tilt right and left, or at the very least, simulates that convincingly, in part by making only left turns in sync with the turn table. I would guess it is subtle enough that some people are just missing it. It also takes into consideration day and night time in Batuu like Smuggers Run.

disneylandcm

CMs are enjoying test rides for limited windows of time. The attraction isn’t signed off yet for guests to be allowed to experience it. I’m told that yesterday’s test involved downtime, however today there were no interruptions at all. I was able to experience it (this really is far more than just a ‘ride’) twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had not exposed myself to any videos prior to doing it first hand so I can say there were elements that were unexpected. Both times I rode the trackless ride system took me on slightly different routes and made full use of the LPS tech. The initial transport vehicle moves much more gently than Star Tours since everyone is standing. It’s still fun and clever. Beyond that I don’t want to give anything away for the benefit of those who are avoiding spoilers.

Touchdown

Can anyone confirm the rumor I heard that the DL one had a car go off course a while back and crash in to an area of the waiting line?

Haven ridden the ride in Florida I can most certainly quash this rumor, the line is not visable nor is it near any of the ride, in order for a car to end up in the queue it would have to go through a solid wall.

TP2000

Original Poster
I hope Minthorne doesn't mind me posting this here in the Disneyland thread, but it seems to be quite helpful as it's similar to how many Disneyland visitors staying in the Resort District will probably experience this Resistance ride.

FYI, the WDW version has been open for 11 days now and has fallen into a fairly predictable pattern of opening times and operation. Here's Minthorne's experience earlier this morning he used to get on the ride.

Here an update of my experience with board group this am. We walked to the park from BWV. Left hotel at 5:20am.

-Arrive in am at 5:35
-Entered park approx 6:45
-Boarding group 53.
-group called at 11:35ish and we were near entrance to join the queue about 11:45ish
-About 20 min in line
-Small snag at the vehicle load - one seat belt would not register as locked. Took about 5 min to resolve.
-exited ride at 12:40

He was staying at Boardwalk Villas, approximately the same walking distance as the big hotels at Harbor/Katella or the Frontierland tower at the Disneyland Hotel. The park opened at 7:00am, but they let the waiting crowds in early to Hollywood Blvd. All of the Boarding Groups for the day were gone by 7:50am. This pattern and timeline is fairly consistent day to day.

They have 120 Boarding Groups per day, and there's about 100 people per Boarding Group. But not all Boarding Groups get called every day due to breakdowns and delays, and if your Boarding Group doesn't get called that day you get an automatic Fastpass for the Resistance ride to come back anytime the next day.

As you can see, this is not going to work for the vast majority of locals and Annual Passholders who go to Disneyland. But for the tens of thousands of tourists staying in the 25,000 hotel rooms within the Anaheim Resort District, this could work out okay for about 8,000 to 12,000 of them per day. But you have to be a morning person! :mad:

Unless they change this proces somehow to reserve at least a couple thousand Boarding Groups per day for Annual Passholders? Do they dare try to roll out a new "reservations required" policy again and risk the place being a ghost town? I doubt that, but it will be interesting to see how they tweak this for the SoCal off season this winter. 🧐

The_Mesh_Hatter

The Anaheim version has been testing with cast members daily this week. The ride system has been able to run smooth for several hours at a time.

I’ve ridden it 3 times so far and it is one of the coolest experiences I’ve been on. It’s on a tier beyond E Tickets thanks to the queue. Love the preshow in the ship. It feels like you’re really on a transport ship with the low ceilings.

Phroobar

The Anaheim version has been testing with cast members daily this week. The ride system has been able to run smooth for several hours at a time.

I’ve ridden it 3 times so far and it is one of the coolest experiences I’ve been on. It’s on a tier beyond E Tickets thanks to the queue. Love the preshow in the ship. It feels like you’re really on a transport ship with the low ceilings.
Maybe Florida should have delayed six months like Disneyland for testing.

britain

I hope Minthorne doesn't mind me posting this here in the Disneyland thread, but it seems to be quite helpful as it's similar to how many Disneyland visitors staying in the Resort District will probably experience this Resistance ride.

FYI, the WDW version has been open for 11 days now and has fallen into a fairly predictable pattern of opening times and operation. Here's Minthorne's experience earlier this morning he used to get on the ride.

He was staying at Boardwalk Villas, approximately the same walking distance as the big hotels at Harbor/Katella or the Frontierland tower at the Disneyland Hotel. The park opened at 7:00am, but they let the waiting crowds in early to Hollywood Blvd. All of the Boarding Groups for the day were gone by 7:50am. This pattern and timeline is fairly consistent day to day.

They have 120 Boarding Groups per day, and there's about 100 people per Boarding Group. But not all Boarding Groups get called every day due to breakdowns and delays, and if your Boarding Group doesn't get called that day you get an automatic Fastpass for the Resistance ride to come back anytime the next day.

As you can see, this is not going to work for the vast majority of locals and Annual Passholders who go to Disneyland. But for the tens of thousands of tourists staying in the 25,000 hotel rooms within the Anaheim Resort District, this could work out okay for about 8,000 to 12,000 of them per day. But you have to be a morning person! :mad:

Unless they change this proces somehow to reserve at least a couple thousand Boarding Groups per day for Annual Passholders? Do they dare try to roll out a new "reservations required" policy again and risk the place being a ghost town? I doubt that, but it will be interesting to see how they tweak this for the SoCal off season this winter. 🧐

Gee, almost looks like they could offer a half-day ticket for folks who just want to enjoy the park without trying to get on the latest and greatest. 🧐

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Locals have access to all their accoutrements of home and they can bring a sleeping bag and get in line on the weekends at 3 AM!!

Alternatively, I hear in Anaheim it's OK to just spread out a blanket to hold your place in line and you can go home a get a few more hours of sleep!!

George Lucas on a Bench

Demand may be even higher considering refurbishments of various popular attractions and my own prediction that business will pick up in 2020. I think the parks will go back to being super crowded and Rise will draw a lot of people into GE and the west side of the park.

SuddenStorm

After years of anticipation for this ride, I caved and took a brief weekend trip to Florida, and I have now ridden Rise of the Resistance.

Overall I thought it was a fun experience. Looks a bit to 'polished' for Star Wars, and many of the sets looked like they were designed to hide the screens. I'm not a fan of meshing animatronics with screens of actual actors. I feel like they need to pick one, since having both makes things feel a bit weird. The exception was Rey's transmission, which looked stunning... and was only hampered by Daisy Ridley's horrific acting.

Speaking of, I feel like any time real actors film scenes for an attraction they always feel a bit goofy. Weird.

The "hey we need to rush since this is urgent" stuff at the beginning comes across as corny and forced. And having your big 'escape' be on a slow moving trackless vehicle with little lateral movement, and frequent stops kills any tension than might be created. This was a problem that was solved way back in '95 with Indy... it's to bad they couldn't find a way to adapt that to this attraction.

The BB8 animatronic was stunning, and I enjoyed moving from outside to inside to outside within the attraction.

I like it better then the current iteration of Star Tours. It's not as good as Indy. Splash and Mansion are still the best two rides at Disneyland.

I'm really curious to see the long term impact of this attraction on Disneyland. How will it impact crowd flow through Critter Country? How will it maintain popularity now that the the sequel trilogy is basically over and will soon be forgotten? Which effects will break in a few months and never get fixed?

I wouldn't wait more then 20-30 minutes for the ride.

TP2000

Original Poster
I like it better then the current iteration of Star Tours. It's not as good as Indy. Splash and Mansion are still the best two rides at Disneyland.

I wouldn't wait more then 20-30 minutes for the ride.

Wow, okay. Thank you for the review!

I consider Splash and Indy and Mansion to be part of a Golden Age of Disneyland era, and they are hard to top.

But how would you compare this Resistance ride to the best E Ticket of the Modern Era; Radiator Springs Racers?
Does Resistance top Radiator Racers?

BubbaQuest

So there is no standby for RotR at DHS?! The setup doesn't feel too much different than the opening of Radiator Springs. Pretty much you had to get a Fasspass within the first 30 minutes of park opening, otherwise your chances of riding were very slim. With breakdowns, the standby line rarely paid off (initially).

Do all members of the party have to be there to be to get in a boarding group?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom