Disneyland's Main Street or Magic Kingdom's Main Street?

Disneyland's Main Street USA vs Magic Kingdom's Main Street USA

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

I would love to see a book shop too! The closest thing that I have ever seen to a book shop is Off the Page in DCA. And they don't even that many books!

Exactly. And I would prefer classic literature books sold in the store.

I don’t know if anyone has walked down Magnolia Street in Burbank, but it’s wonderful. It’s lined with all kinds of cute and quaint shops. Magnolia Street is what I imagine Main Street to be like, if I had it my way.

dweezil78

Exactly. And I would prefer classic literature books sold in the store.

I don’t know if anyone has walked down Magnolia Street in Burbank, but it’s wonderful. It’s lined with all kinds of cute and quaint shops. Magnolia Street is what I imagine Main Street to be like, if I had it my way.

Wouldn't you just rather go to authentic Magnolia street (which is awesome and I agree...great antique shops too, and of course Portos!!) than go buy books at Disneyland? Also, again from a business sense (going back to greed/Disney not trying), do you really think there's going to be a lot of people stopping in their day to by books at a theme park?

NateD1226

Wouldn't you just rather go to authentic Magnolia street (which is awesome and I agree...great antique shops too, and of course Portos!!) than go buy books at Disneyland? Also, again from a business sense (going back to greed/Disney not trying), do you really think there's going to be a lot of people stopping in their day to by books at a theme park?
They could make Disney books specifically for that store so people will go to the book store.

dweezil78

They could make Disney books specifically for that store so people will go to the book store.

I believe Disneyana was fairly well stocked with Disney books until it moved in w/ the Gallery after Starbucks came in. There definitely used to be more books available, which are generally my go-to items. You can still find them, but they're a bit more scattered about the various stores.

Californian Elitist

The antique shops are great. Porto’s is delicious, have you tried their Cuban sandwich? BOMB.

I would love to have the option of buying a piece of literature at Disneyland. That would enhance my experience greatly and I would spend more time on Main Street. I don’t believe a bookstore would see hoards of people, but it’s not about profit for me.

dweezil78

Porto’s is delicious, have you tried their Cuban sandwich? BOMB.

Hell yeah... pretty much everything at Porto's is bomb. On the bakery side, the cheese rolls are the most addictive thing ever.

I would love to have the option of buying a piece of literature at Disneyland. That would enhance my experience greatly and I would spend more time on Main Street. I don’t believe a bookstore would see hoards of people, but it’s not about profit for me.

And yeah... obviously not about profit to you. I bring up that point in reference to Constance and Rich's POV that the loss of niche-type shops will turn people away from the parks and is somehow a result of Disney being lazy when there's really some kind of big demand for that stuff they just haven't discovered.

lazyboy97o

You don't think 50-something years was a fair try?
Youre defending Paul Pressler, his philosophies and his radical shift to the Disney theme park business mode. The 40 years of “trying” only failed if you are trying to run a late-1980s mall with all of its most horrid and cynical philosophies.

Californian Elitist

Hell yeah... pretty much everything at Porto's is bomb. On the bakery side, the cheese rolls are the most addictive thing ever.

And yeah... obviously not about profit to you. I bring up that point in reference to Constance and Rich's POV that the loss of niche-type shops will turn people away from the parks and is somehow a result of Disney being lazy when there's really some kind of big demand for that stuff they just haven't discovered.

Ooooo, I haven’t tried the cheese rolls. Can you get them with different kinds of cheese?

dweezil78

Youre defending Paul Pressler, his philosophies and his radical shift to the Disney theme park business mode. The 40 years of “trying” only failed if you are trying to run a late-1980s mall with all of its most horrid and cynical philosophies.

Sigh. No, I'm not defending Paul Pressler. I'm defending the moment in time when the Disney Company and its own merchandise became more in demand by park visitors than a bunch of random tchotchke souvenirs people were quickly losing interest in and a working bank people no longer had any use for with ATMs scattered around the resort. The rest of the stuff is still there today and it's the majority of what was there beyond the initial years when Walt leased out those stores to third parties.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Since some would like less Disney branded merch and more uniqueness on Main St., then lets bring back Hollywood Maxwell's...

189febb82ba7fc01d38cc7b389a368f2.jpg

lazyboy97o

Sigh. No, I'm not defending Paul Pressler. I'm defending the moment in time when the Disney Company and its own merchandise became more in demand by park visitors than a bunch of random tchotchke souvenirs people were quickly losing interest in and a working bank people no longer had any use for with ATMs scattered around the resort. The rest of the stuff is still there today and it's the majority of what was there beyond the initial years when Walt leased out those stores to third parties.
It didn’t suddenly become more in demand. Paul Pressler came in and changed the business model. That is the moment in time you are defending.

Nobody was ever daft enough to think something like antique cars were going to do huge numbers, or any numbers, but what was understood was that this is a theme park and not a shopping mall. What is being sold is an experience, everything works together; not everything is in competition with everything else. Disney doesn’t do anything different because the parks haven’t been run by anyone different, it continues to be men who do not have experience in, do not understand and far too often do not like themed entertainment. The notion of a “store” as part of the experience makes no sense to them. The notion of attractions being a major draw to a theme park makes no sense to them.

Curious Constance

I don't think the trend is exclusive to theme parks... Look around you. The world is changing.

Also, you're being a bit overdramatic and resentful of others who do visit Disneyland to indulge in all things Disney. The stores may be stocked with Disney merch, but there are still niche products at all of them -- from glassware to original art to magic to christmas ornaments to cooking items to silhouettes to candy. DL's Main Street may no longer sell tobacco products, bras, or greeting cards, or have a real photo shop (in an age of smartphones) but what they do stock in the stores (beyond the Emporium) is still of a pretty wide variety. Is it all Disney focused? You bet it is. You're in freaking Disneyland, not Crate and Barrel.

What exactly are you hoping to find in these stores?
I know it's not just Disney doing this. The world is changing. And it's not for the better. You think I'm being over dramatic but I think it just bothers me more than you.
I don't know what exactly I'd want to see in the stores. I just know that as a Disney fan it's odd that I can rarely find much of anything I have any interest in buying. And people who aren't big Disney fans have zero options. It seems like you either have to be a child or the emotional equivalent of one to get much out of the merchandise.

Curious Constance

I disagree. There wasn't a moment in time when suddenly adults had to have Jack Skellington backpacks or Alien popcorn buckets. When they decided to switch and sell primarily crap, they started to appeal less to most adults and heck even some kids if you have geniuses like I do and began appealing more to the typical APs you see today. Dumb the experience down, appeal to a different crowd. Meanwhile everyone else is left with junk.

Phroobar

I disagree. There wasn't a moment in time when suddenly adults had to have Jack Skellington backpacks or Alien popcorn buckets. When they decided to switch and sell primarily crap, they started to appeal less to most adults and heck even some kids if you have geniuses like I do and began appealing more to the typical APs you see today. Dumb the experience down, appeal to a different crowd. Meanwhile everyone else is left with junk.
The skank of the Six Flags crowd discovered Disneyland.

dweezil78

You speak as if that’s the only thing they sell on Main Street though when I’ve already cited all the other more high end/diverse things you can purchase. There is far more than the merch you’re singling out. Also, the stuff you mention isn’t aimed at dumb adults — it’s for the hordes of young children who watch these fims/shows/characters on repeat because they love them so much. Dumb/young-at-heart adults buying it is a byproduct.

As for non-Disney fans not finding stuff on Disneyland’s Main Street that interests them? Boo hoo? I mean really, what do you expect? In the 40 years I’ve been visiting Disney parks, I can’t ever think of a time that there was merch sold in those shops that would have been of interest to non-Disney fans with the exception of utilitarian stuff sun block, Tylenol, or a hat.

dweezil78

Ooooo, I haven’t tried the cheese rolls. Can you get them with different kinds of cheese?

They’re danish-like pastries with a sugary cream cheese like filling, so really just the one kind. Although I think there’s also a type with guava? Get a box of the cheese rolls next time you’re there, you won’t be disappointed!!!

Phroobar

Everyone that goes to Disneyland is looking for two things and one of them isn't love.

They want a Disneyland shirt and Mickey/Minnie Ears or hat.

EPCOTCenterLover

I went to both Disney World and Disneyland in one month's time. (Long unexpected story). I had money to burn for souvenirs. I'm a Disney geek (obviously). In Florida, I walked away with one magnet, 2 coffee cups (one Starbucks World Showcase and one Epcot 35th). That's it. In California, I bought zero souvenirs. Sad statement on what's become of merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom