Disneyland's Main Street or Magic Kingdom's Main Street?

Disneyland's Main Street USA vs Magic Kingdom's Main Street USA

• Total voters

Phroobar

I went to both Disney World and Disneyland in one month's time. (Long unexpected story). I had money to burn for souvenirs. I'm a Disney geek (obviously). In Florida, I walked away with one magnet, 2 coffee cups (one Starbucks World Showcase and one Epcot 35th). That's it. In California, I bought zero souvenirs. Sad statement on what's become of merchandise.
That must have been an amazing magnet.

ght

If this was 1977 then Magic Kingdom might win but they have screwed it up over the years getting rid of almost everything that was interesting to plop in bland stores. The fact I can still go to the Penny Arcade (although a shrunken version), the Magic Shop and the Main Street Cinema makes this a no contest (and that isn't even factoring in Walt's apartment being there).

dweezil78

I went to both Disney World and Disneyland in one month's time. (Long unexpected story). I had money to burn for souvenirs. I'm a Disney geek (obviously). In Florida, I walked away with one magnet, 2 coffee cups (one Starbucks World Showcase and one Epcot 35th). That's it. In California, I bought zero souvenirs. Sad statement on what's become of merchandise.

Are you a grown adult without children? This may have something to do with it. In my experience, the older we get, the more we long for vintage souvenirs from a different era. The new stuff, however nice it may be or may not be, is just that... new and without the same kind of emotional connection. If I buy any merch in the parks these days, it's typically retro/throwback type stuff -- and in general, Epcot is the one that caters the most heavily to that type of consumer IMO (i.e. ME).

EPCOTCenterLover

Are you a grown adult without children? This may have something to do with it. In my experience, the older we get, the more we long for vintage souvenirs from a different era. The new stuff, however nice it may be or may not be, is just that... new and without the same kind of emotional connection. If I buy any merch in the parks these days, it's typically retro/throwback type stuff -- and in general, Epcot is the one that caters the most heavily to that type of consumer IMO (i.e. ME).
I am a grown man with children, and my wife and I went to FL with one daughter and her family. I was at Disneyland alone, however. Magic Kingdom Day One.

Last edited:

Missing20K

Not in awhile, but his threads should definitely be read. Proof positive of the level of thought that went into some of Disney’s best work.

He was awesome to have around. His threads should be pinned somewhere and be required reading.

Dapper Dan's at DLP is absolutely dripping with theme. More story in one corner of that barber shop than in all of Pixar Pier or TSL. Eddie was/is at a totally different level than anything being created at WDI currently.

kevlightyear

This one's tough. In the end:
-Walt's apartment over the fire station
-Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
-Dedication plaque
-Trees in the hub (with gorgeous blooms)
-Little Red Wagon corn dogs
Beats
-Awesome confectionary
-Casey's corner
-Plaza restaurant

DL wins this round.

kevlightyear

that wasn’t tough! this ones easy haha!
I guess you're right. Most of the things that make DL Main Street great are little details. From 1000 ft, they just look like two different sized towns. At a high level, they're more alike than they are different. You could easily argue that the expansive views of the castle, the larger train station, and the huge emporium make MK better.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
I guess you're right. Most of the things that make DL Main Street great are little details. From 1000 ft, they just look like two different sized towns. At a high level, they're more alike than they are different. You could easily argue that the expansive views of the castle, the larger train station, and the huge emporium make MK better.
the emporium is annoying and stupid that it covers the one whole side of main street and it’s been getting worse overtime. the look of the train station looks nice but the railroad itself is nowhere near as good as DL’s. 😐

kevlightyear

the emporium is annoying and stupid that it covers the one whole side of main street and it’s been getting worse overtime. the look of the train station looks nice but the railroad itself is nowhere near as good as DL’s. 😐
Eh, the emporium doesn't bother me. Losing Center Street is unfortunate, but it's more convenient than zig zagging back and forth at DL. I like being able to walk the length from Casey's all inside. It's a personal preference. Yes, the whole of the DL railroad beats MK, but only just. The Primeval World segment is the only big difference, and it's underwhelming.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Eh, the emporium doesn't bother me. Losing Center Street is unfortunate, but it's more convenient than zig zagging back and forth at DL. I like being able to walk the length from Casey's all inside. It's a personal preference. Yes, the whole of the DL railroad beats MK, but only just. The Primeval World segment is the only big difference, and it's underwhelming.
not really. underwhelming? the mk railroad doesn’t really have much to look at all and is more of a mode of transportation. it doesn’t even have the primeval world! in DL, it’s more of an actual ride. also, as disney tourist blog does stay in the main street reviews, “Generic retail space replacing unique shops and attractions has been a common theme on all of these Main Streets, but the Magic Kingdom is perhaps the worst offender, with its Emporium now occupying most of the storefronts on the west side of Main Street, and niche stores and attractions on the right, like the Main Street Cinema, being replaced by more retail.”

Disneylover152

Magic Kingdom Railroad is just trees with the exception of the few times your looking at backstage roads, the Tomorrowland Speedway and Big Thunder Mountain/Splash Mountain.

With the Disneyland Railroad, you are always looking at something, even if its as simple as Mardi Gras decorations or a panther. The only part your looking at trees is when your behind Adventureland (which is like 10 seconds), and behind the Autopia (which you can see the monorail and the Autopia still).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom