Disneyland's Main Street or Magic Kingdom's Main Street?

Disneyland's Main Street USA vs Magic Kingdom's Main Street USA

• Total voters

mickEblu

I have to come down on the WDW Main St side. The Victorian architecture is more grand and the forced scale works better to the build up to Cinderella’s castle (whereas in comparison the DL castle can seem a bit swallowed up). WDWs Crystal Palace and the grand staircase to the train station are also winners.

Despite the redesign, the staging area in front of Cinderella’s castle, complete with the moat, is more impressive. In comparison, it can get cramped and claustrophobic in front of Snow Whites castle due to crowd and space issues.

Disneyland wins by default since you referred to Sleeping Beauty’s castle as Snow Whites.

Rich T

I have to come down on the WDW Main St side. The Victorian architecture is more grand and the forced scale works better to the build up to Cinderella’s castle (whereas in comparison the DL castle can seem a bit swallowed up). WDWs Crystal Palace and the grand staircase to the train station are also winners.

Despite the redesign, the staging area in front of Cinderella’s castle, complete with the moat, is more impressive. In comparison, it can get cramped and claustrophobic in front of Snow Whites castle due to crowd and space issues.
WDW's Maint Street is less charming, but bigger--and it does form a great lead up to the big castle. And that, in many ways--sums up the huge difference in approach between the two parks: Most DL visitors are locals who couldn't give two figs about a view of the castle at the end of the street. DL fans love their Main Street as the homey, comfy place it is. Sleeping Beauty Castle is simply a lovely entrance to the world's best Fantasyland. So WDW's is more grand, but I'll always prefer the "welcome home" feeling of DL's. Plus: Magic Shop!!!

Curious Constance

Is it a bummer there are fewer specialty stores and so many Disney specific stores? Well, sure. But in 2018, what do guests want more -- to walk into the equivalent of a small strip mall with different stores (after literally just walking by a big one) or be surrounded by all things Disney?

This is my biggest issue with today's Disney. They think that today people want to be surrounded by all things Disney, when that's really only a very small percentage of the people who live on the face of this planet who would prefer that. So they fill shops with Disney junk, and build lands based on more Disney junk. And by catering to these people they leave most of the world out.
Imagine how much more appealing they would be to a whole new, larger percentage of the population if they just focused on providing good, quality, appealing products and attractions instead of just slapping a character on the side and waiting for people to line up.

My husband who's not a Disney fan, hated the fact that Main St LOOKED to be really cool, "Hey, let's go look in that book store" only to find it's actually filled with Disney junk.

dweezil78

This is my biggest issue with today's Disney. They think that today people want to be surrounded by all things Disney, when that's really only a very small percentage of the people who live on the face of this planet who would prefer that. So they fill shops with Disney junk, and build lands based on more Disney junk. And by catering to these people they leave most of the world out.
Imagine how much more appealing they would be to a whole new, larger percentage of the population if they just focused on providing good, quality, appealing products and attractions instead of just slapping a character on the side and waiting for people to line up.

My husband who's not a Disney fan, hated the fact that Main St LOOKED to be really cool, "Hey, let's go look in that book store" only to find it's actually filled with Disney junk.

You honestly think that Disney, being the so-called greedy business focused company they are, has no sales data to back up their focus in selling so much Disney merch on Main St. Don't you think if there was more $$$ to made by selling non-Disney merch, they would be shoving it in everyone's face like there's no tomorrow?

Curious Constance

You honestly think that Disney, being the so-called greedy business focused company they are, has no sales data to back up their focus in selling so much Disney merch on Main St. Don't you think if there was more $$$ to made by selling non-Disney merch, they would be shoving it in everyone's face like there's no tomorrow?

I think they're taking the lazy, safe, cheap way out. I don't think they've actually given the other option a fair try.

Jedi Stitch

Of course your first time will always leave the lasting impression, mine was at Disneyland. I can concede that the MK train station having two stories is better. Yet, having more than stroller rentals could be better. I did notice that with the larger scale of MK, came the main street being more stretched out, and not so quaint.

Rich T

You don't think 50-something years was a fair try?
Disney used to be much more diverse with their merch selections, and that's the Disney so many people grew up loving. Selling the same crud everywhere these days might work in the short term, but it's no way to sustain things or expand the fanbase. So much of what Disney does lately is greedy, unimaginative and short-sighted. If they keep this up, they will eventually find they've lost the devoted fanbase they've taken for granted for so long. If you really want to visit a Main Street where you walk into a Penny Arade or Book shop and find nothing but Mickey plush, you're welcome to it. But that's one less wonderful feature that made the park memorable. One more Borg-step toward same-ness and uniformity.

dweezil78

Disney used to be much more diverse with their merch selections, and that's the Disney so many people grew up loving. Selling the same crud everywhere these days might work in the short term, but it's no way to sustain things or expand the fanbase. So much of what Disney does lately is greedy, unimaginative and short-sighted. If they keep this up, they will eventually find they've lost the devoted fanbase they've taken for granted for so long. If you really want to visit a Main Street where you walk into a Penny Arade or Book shop and find nothing but Mickey plush, you're welcome to it. But that's one less wonderful feature that made the park memorable. One more Borg-step toward same-ness and uniformity.

I don't disagree that it was a bummer to lose some of the more unique, interesting stores. Although in my lifetime, I can't say I ever made a purchase at any of them other than the magic shop, which thankfully we still have today. But to counter Constance's point (and yours), if Disney is, in fact, greedy by stuffing the stores with their own merch -- then it's because they've determined that it is, indeed, what people want more of vs. more unique niche non-branded items. We all know that if there was more $$$ to be made by selling the other stuff, they most certainly would.

So it's a bit hard to say that they're both greedy for selling what they know they'll sell more of and, in the same breath, that it's not what people want.

SuddenStorm

I think they're taking the lazy, safe, cheap way out. I don't think they've actually given the other option a fair try.

Yes they have. Main Street shops used to be far more diverse. Tobacco, lingerie, the old Bank, the old flower shop, the old candle shop- it's my understanding that it wasn't until the '90s or so when Disney merchandise exploded throughout the park and shoved everything else away

BD-Anaheim

And that, in many ways--sums up the huge difference in approach between the two parks: Most DL visitors are locals who couldn't give two figs about a view of the castle at the end of the street.

Well I guess this rationale explains why DL visitors don’t give two figs about the appearance of Pixar Pier or Mission Breakout.

Oh, wait...

dweezil78

I mean they used to do it, then they took the lazy, cheap, and safe way out in order to cut corners and employees (have everything made cheap in China) and put the least effort/investment in.

Notice how since they've started dumbing everything down, their guests have sort of followed suit?

I don't think the trend is exclusive to theme parks... Look around you. The world is changing.

Also, you're being a bit overdramatic and resentful of others who do visit Disneyland to indulge in all things Disney. The stores may be stocked with Disney merch, but there are still niche products at all of them -- from glassware to original art to magic to christmas ornaments to cooking items to silhouettes to candy. DL's Main Street may no longer sell tobacco products, bras, or greeting cards, or have a real photo shop (in an age of smartphones) but what they do stock in the stores (beyond the Emporium) is still of a pretty wide variety. Is it all Disney focused? You bet it is. You're in freaking Disneyland, not Crate and Barrel.

What exactly are you hoping to find in these stores?

Californian Elitist

I would hardly call the products in the stores on Main Street “a wide variety.”

Count me in as another person who would prefer similar shops from yesterday. When I say yesterday, I mean from decades ago.

dweezil78

I would hardly call the products in the stores on Main Street “a wide variety.”

Count me in as another person who would prefer similar shops from yesterday. When I say yesterday, I mean from decades ago.

Like what though? I'm legit curious. What are these old Main St items that you long for that you can no longer find? In my lifetime -- I'm having trouble thinking of any beyond the magic store, which I can still get today.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom