DisneylandForward

jmuboy

Like many here, I do not trust modern Disney to get out of their own way and make good choices. And I trust the leaders and decision makers at WDW EVEN less than Bob Iger and team. So - for fun discussion only - what is the long rumored and recently resurfaced VILLAINS Land proposals ended up at part of DL park's expansion and NOT a rehash of Fantasy Springs. I feel like DL management (and maybe even the WDC leadership as a whole ) have more ambition to expand/ enhance DL right now than WDW, I think if we are going to get a park foot print expansion beyond Critter Country north of the DLH this land could absolutely be the perfect balance to Fantasyland proper and give DL a "Fantasy Spring" type level of expansion.

Not an insider - fun speculation and day dreaming only.

October82

Having seen some ride through videos from Fantasy Spring at Tokyo Disney Sea, I can absolutely see them building the far superior Frozen attraction as part of this expansion. I'd like to see them go even further and add the coaster from Frozen Hong Kong so there are two attractions for any Frozen area. The Pan ride would be redundant, and the Tangled Boat Ride would be a solid candidate though it appears to be too short. The outdoor Tink ride reminded me of Heimlich's Chew Chew (RIP) but with cars that turned. Would probably be a good family attraction but I thought it looked quite boring.

It's likely that all of the attractions in FantasySprings will remain unique to Tokyo. The TDS expansion is also designed to fill specific gaps in the attraction lineup at DisneySea. That attraction lineup doesn't, IMO, make sense for either a Disneyland or DCA expansion.

I expect that Disney will build the Hong Kong version of the Frozen ride in Disneyland - cost-sharing across the resorts has been connected to the HKDL version since it was originally announced. It does seem like the HK/Paris version is plussed compared to the WDW one, but count me in the camp of thinking that Disneyland deserves better than a re-theme of an EPCOT Center era attraction. If it must come to Disneyland, I'd prefer it take up an underutilized area of Fantasyland rather than take up space that could be better used in the DisneylandForward area.

October82

Like many here, I do not trust modern Disney to get out of their own way and make good choices. And I trust the leaders and decision makers at WDW EVEN less than Bob Iger and team. So - for fun discussion only - what is the long rumored and recently resurfaced VILLAINS Land proposals ended up at part of DL park's expansion and NOT a rehash of Fantasy Springs. I feel like DL management (and maybe even the WDC leadership as a whole ) have more ambition to expand/ enhance DL right now than WDW, I think if we are going to get a park foot print expansion beyond Critter Country north of the DLH this land could absolutely be the perfect balance to Fantasyland proper and give DL a "Fantasy Spring" type level of expansion.

Not an insider - fun speculation and day dreaming only.

There's kind of a paradox with the Villain's land concept. It is a flexible 'high concept' theme which Disney has moved away from for the domestic parks in favor of single IP lands, but not so flexible to enable a wide collection of IPs.

The concept layouts released as part of the noise mitigation agreements are probably a reasonable approximation to what's possible, and as much as "Villain's kingdom", IMO, makes for a pretty much perfect conceptual counterpart to the original "magic kingdom", I would assume they'll go with a more generic concept that allows tangential IPs to be integrated. "Fantasy" (TDS) or "Adventure" (DLP) are the recent precedents.

mickEblu

It's likely that all of the attractions in FantasySprings will remain unique to Tokyo. The TDS expansion is also designed to fill specific gaps in the attraction lineup at DisneySea. That attraction lineup doesn't, IMO, make sense for either a Disneyland or DCA expansion.

I expect that Disney will build the Hong Kong version of the Frozen ride in Disneyland - cost-sharing across the resorts has been connected to the HKDL version since it was originally announced. It does seem like the HK/Paris version is plussed compared to the WDW one, but count me in the camp of thinking that Disneyland deserves better than a re-theme of an EPCOT Center era attraction. If it must come to Disneyland, I'd prefer it take up an underutilized area of Fantasyland rather than take up space that could be better used in the DisneylandForward area.

Agree although I wouldn't mind a version of Fantasy Springs. The hotel and the land are beautiful. Don't really care for the rides though. We probably wouldn't get a hotel of that caliber but if my choices are walking around a beautiful forested land with waterfalls everywhere or a Frozen land, Toy Story land, or Zootopia land Im going with the Fantasy Springs with multiple IP being represented. Frozen land at HK looks great but I don't think we need that at DLR.

Andrew25

Not that I believe that Fantasy Springs will come over to DLR... but what about the lineup doesn't fit DLR?

There's only 3 boat rides in the entire resort... and any of the FS versions will vary differently than the ones currently there.

mickEblu

Not that I believe that Fantasy Springs will come over to DLR... but what about the lineup doesn't fit DLR?

There's only 3 boat rides in the entire resort... and any of the FS versions will vary differently than the ones currently there.

4 boat rides. You probably forgot Storybookland. 5 if you count Splash. 6 if you count GRR. 9 if you count all the ROA vessels. 10 if you count Nemo.

IMO it's not that it doesn't fit. It's that we have a great Fantasyland with a European village theme and land is at a premium at DLR. They can probably find room for either the Tangled or Frozen boat ride and one restaurant and that would suffice. Then you don't eat into other expansion areas where other IP/ themes can be represented that bring more variety to the resorts offerings. The million dollar question though is if not Fantasy Springs or World of Frozen than what? I'd certainly take more Fantasyland European village theming over some of the other possible contenders.

Andrew25

4 boat rides. You probably forgot Storybookland. 5 if you count Splash. 6 if you count GRR. 9 if you count all the ROA vessels. 10 if you count Nemo.

IMO it's not that it doesn't fit. It's that we have a great Fantasyland with a European village theme and land is at a premium at DLR. They can probably find room for either the Tangled or Frozen boat ride and one restaurant and that would suffice. Then you don't eat into other expansion areas where other IP/ themes can be represented that bring more variety to the resorts offerings. The million dollar question though is if not Fantasy Springs or World of Frozen than what? I'd certainly take more Fantasyland European village theming over some of the other possible contenders.
Forgot Jungle Cruise so... 4 "Traditional" Boat Rides in POTC, Storybook and Small World. Not counting the others as they either are thrilling (GRR/Splash) or are more for transportation/scenic experiences without any storytelling.

The atmosphere and experience of Tangled/Frozen TDR rides are also very different than stuff like Small World/Storybook/Jungle Cruise... so for me the ride system/method of propulsion isn't really overused at Disneyland... I'd argue its lacking.

Outside Frozen, the only other IP(s) Disney has any interesting in expansion is Avatar, Toy Story, and Moana.

October82

As @mickEblu said, there are plenty of boat rides in Disneyland. DCA seems to be getting one with Avatar based on the concept art. But sure, DLR could use more boat rides.

My comment was less about the ride systems and more about the choice of IP and scale of those attractions. FantasySprings was designed to attract families with children to DisneySea since the rest of the park is much more (young) adult oriented. The IPs were also all chosen specifically for their relevance to Japanese audiences and the scale of the attractions matches OLC's ambitions for attracting (and keeping) a larger demographic to TDS.

It's not that any of them would be bad choices for DLR in the abstract - I just don't expect Disney to repeat FantasySprings. It's a specific response to particularities of TDR. I do expect them to clone HK/Paris take on FEA. It's less costly and that is an IP that has proven itself relevant to American audiences.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Forgot Jungle Cruise so... 4 "Traditional" Boat Rides in POTC, Storybook and Small World. Not counting the others as they either are thrilling (GRR/Splash) or are more for transportation/scenic experiences without any storytelling.

The atmosphere and experience of Tangled/Frozen TDR rides are also very different than stuff like Small World/Storybook/Jungle Cruise... so for me the ride system/method of propulsion isn't really overused at Disneyland... I'd argue its lacking.

Outside Frozen, the only other IP(s) Disney has any interesting in expansion is Avatar, Toy Story, and Moana.

Forgot Jungle Cruise? Wow I'm a gambling man and you would have killed me on that.

I'd be ok with a couple more boat rides. Although I'd rather not have them all in the same land.

I could see a Moana land being good. It has potential. No thank you on Toy Story.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

As @mickEblu said, there are plenty of boat rides in Disneyland. DCA seems to be getting one with Avatar based on the concept art. But sure, DLR could use more boat rides.

My comment was less about the ride systems and more about the choice of IP and scale of those attractions. FantasySprings was designed to attract families with children to DisneySea since the rest of the park is much more (young) adult oriented. The IPs were also all chosen specifically for their relevance to Japanese audiences and the scale of the attractions matches OLC's ambitions for attracting (and keeping) a larger demographic to TDS.

It's not that any of them would be bad choices for DLR in the abstract - I just don't expect Disney to repeat FantasySprings. It's a specific response to particularities of TDR. I do expect them to clone HK/Paris take on FEA. It's less costly and that is an IP that has proven itself relevant to American audiences.
Considering the rate at which Disney builds, we will likely not be looking at Frozen coming to DLR until the 2030's. At the rate I would sure hope any Frozen land at DLR heavily incorporates elements from Frozen 2-4. Maybe they could go with a trackless ride as well instead of a boat ride.

TP2000

Maybe I'm overly simple, but I always considered a "boat ride" to be a ride where you got in a boat and floated around in water and saw things and went places. Is that not the definition of "boat ride" any more?

But in my simple little world with my simple little definitions, Disneyland has 10 boat rides; Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash/Tiana, Rafts, Canoes, Columbia, Mark Twain, StorybookLand, Small World, Submarines.

Disneyland used to have 12 boat rides for a few years from the time Splash Mt. opened in 1989 to the time the Motorboat Cruise closed around 1995 and then the Mike Fink Keel Boats closed in 1997.

DCA only has 1 boat ride, Grizzly River Run. Which is just one of the reasons why DCA has always kind of sucked at being a good theme park. DisneylandForward should add at least 2 more boat rides to DCA of some sort.

For a theme park based on a state with almost 1,000 miles of ocean coastline and epic lakes and rivers, DCA failed at the boat ride thing. Among many other reasons why DCA has failed. Pressler! Chapek! D'Amaro!

Purduevian

Maybe I'm overly simple, but I always considered a "boat ride" to be a ride where you got in a boat and floated around in water and saw things and went places. Is that not the definition of "boat ride" any more?

But in my simple little world with my simple little definitions, Disneyland has 10 boat rides; Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash/Tiana, Rafts, Canoes, Columbia, Mark Twain, StorybookLand, Small World, Submarines.

Disneyland used to have 12 boat rides for a few years from the time Splash Mt. opened in 1989 to the time the Motorboat Cruise closed around 1995 and then the Mike Fink Keel Boats closed in 1997.

DCA only has 1 boat ride, Grizzly River Run. Which is just one of the reasons why DCA has always kind of sucked at being a good theme park. DisneylandForward should add at least 2 more boat rides to DCA of some sort.

For a theme park based on a state with almost 1,000 miles of ocean coastline and epic lakes and rivers, DCA failed at the boat ride thing. Among many other reasons why DCA has failed. Pressler! Chapek! D'Amaro!
American parks boat ride count:
DL: 10
MK:6
EPCOT: 3
AK:2
DCA:1
DHS: 0

Stevek

Yeah, you're probably right but man, the TDS version is so much better than what is in HK or Epcot. Just not sure if there is enough space in the existing DL FL to build a larger show building.

Stevek

Considering the rate at which Disney builds, we will likely not be looking at Frozen coming to DLR until the 2030's. At the rate I would sure hope any Frozen land at DLR heavily incorporates elements from Frozen 2-4. Maybe they could go with a trackless ride as well instead of a boat ride.
True, what is relevant to audiences today may not be by the time this gets built. But Disney will likely have to know the plots for 3-4 well enough in advance as they would likely start the design process sooner or later, if they haven't already. I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised and Disney has a lot of this expansion mapped out already...but who am I kidding :D

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's spooky about that list is that is how a majority of Disney fans would rank those six American parks overall. I know that's how I would rank them from best to worst, with maybe a flip-flop of AK and DCA.

The key to theme park success is boat rides! o_O
Note that Anaheim and Orlando both have the same number of boat rides!

TheRealSkull

Coco boat ride instead of a rumored simulator would be killer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom