DisneylandForward

BrianLo

The penalty of $5 million is extremely small, especially compared to a promise of $2.5 billion. It would not shock me in the slightest if Disney built the Eastern Gateway like they've wanted to for awhile and then simply ate the penalty, considering that a small price to pay for getting free use of all their land going forward.

The 1.9 billion is mandated, the 2.5 billion is the threshold to not pay a (very small) penalty.

The Eastern Gateway project fulfills neither.

The 1.9 billion ‘has to’ happen. Presumably Disney is extremely certain of its medium term plans, otherwise they never would have offered up a figure. Certain as in they’ve already earmarked 2.5 billion for DLF by 2034, but have given themselves a small exit clause in case budgets are slashed.

denyuntilcaught

The penalty of $5 million is extremely small, especially compared to a promise of $2.5 billion. It would not shock me in the slightest if Disney built the Eastern Gateway like they've wanted to for awhile and then simply ate the penalty, considering that a small price to pay for getting free use of all their land going forward.
Agreed. However, money aside, my greater concern if Disney took that route is the potential erasure of a lot of goodwill that DisneylandForward fostered with the community and government. Basically, it could lead to a bit of erosion of trust between Anaheim and Disney. Then again, with the seats rotating every so often on both sides, it may not even matter.

el_super

Agreed. However, money aside, my greater concern if Disney took that route is the potential erasure of a lot of goodwill that DisneylandForward fostered with the community and government. Basically, it could lead to a bit of erosion of trust between Anaheim and Disney. Then again, with the seats rotating every so often on both sides, it may not even matter.

It won't be brought up again. Whether Disney meets or exceeds the requirements will never be asked from the City. If it does ever come up (which is super unlikely), Disney will find a way to show they spent 2 billion dollars on Lincoln and call it a day.

mickEblu

The 1.9 billion is mandated, the 2.5 billion is the threshold to not pay a (very small) penalty.

The Eastern Gateway project fulfills neither.

The 1.9 billion ‘has to’ happen. Presumably Disney is extremely certain of its medium term plans, otherwise they never would have offered up a figure. Certain as in they’ve already earmarked 2.5 billion for DLF by 2034, but have given themselves a small exit clause in case budgets are slashed.

So what do we think 1.9 billion gets us? How much do you think the Eastern Gateway and Avatar land will cost. That sounds like 1.9 billion right there in todays dollars.

EDIT: Wait, but didn’t it say say somewhere that the 1.9 billion had to be on lands/ attractions? In that case the the Eastern Gateway wouldn’t count towards the 1.9 billion.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The more I think about it the more I like Monstropolis in the backlot. I think they can be more ambitious with Avatar on the Simba lot. It’s a seamless transition from Hollywood Blvd. You don’t lose 1 of only 2 family friendly dark rides in the whole park. Granted you gain a much better family friendly attraction with an Avatar boat ride but it’s still a net gain of 0. The monorail becomes much less of an issue and you would most likely get a coaster out of it. You also get to spread the budget around a lot more. Not sure why this hasn’t been strongly considered. Especially at a park where they have spent so much money on lateral moves and rethemes.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I wonder how hard it would be to move Monsters Inc over to Pixar Pier...

I think that would be a waste of resources at that point. Either build around it where it is or scrap it. Now moving “it” to DHS on the other hand as part of a Monstropolis land would make sense.

BrianLo

So what do we think 1.9 billion gets us? How much do you think the Eastern Gateway and Avatar land will cost. That sounds like 1.9 billion right there in todays dollars.

EDIT: Wait, but didn’t it say say somewhere that the 1.9 billion had to be on lands/ attractions? In that case the the Eastern Gateway wouldn’t count towards the 1.9 billion.

Sorry, that’s my point. The Eastern Gateway doesn’t fulfill the requirement directly (infrastructure and bridges are excepted). It also has to be on a Disneyland Forward plot (Avatar and Avengers are excepted).

Disney in actuality has plans to spend 6.5 billion on Disneyland Resort over a 10 year window on new capex. Another 2 and change is left for maintenance.

What that looks like at this juncture is:

1) ~500 million on Eastern Gateway and bridge etc infrastructure
2) Probably well over a billion on DCA for Pandora and Avengers
3) 2.5 billion on Disneyland Forward sites

We’re still lacking 1.5-2 billion or so and I think that’s where you’ll see things like Tomorrowland, Frozen, Tiana come out of.

It’s also well and good for people to doubt it comes to be, but this is what the company actually wants to do. At this time. There is money being left on the table with Disneyland and they know it.

SplashJacket

I would agree, but that $2.5 billion fits even their most modest plans. Barring any major unknown, I could easily see them soaring past that figure with ease.

But yeah, that $5 million doesn’t effect their decision making.

BrianLo

I would agree, but that $2.5 billion fits even their most modest plans. Barring any major unknown, I could easily see them soaring past that figure with ease.

But yeah, that $5 million doesn’t effect their decision making.

I agree. They are probably brandishing about 3+ in spend internally, told the city 2.5 and gave themselves contingencies to drop to 1.9. For DLF specifically, as I mentioned there is more money planned elsewhere.

I think we’ll have a strip (not the whole plot, but a strip) developed from Critter country to the Esplanade under a decade from now. The Toy Story lot strikes me as needing some development post Eastern Gateway. It’s going to be highly underutilized after that massive garage opens, I expect them to shut it down for parking immediately after the garages open.

Ismael Flores

so true especially since one of the commissioners brought that up at one point. insisting he wanted to know more including final numbers of expenditures at the endow the decade. basically said that Disney could at one point not fullfill their promises
not to be mean but that guy was very annoying with some of the questions that had been answered multiple times and his whole "do you concur"

Ismael Flores

I agree. They are probably brandishing about 3+ in spend internally, told the city 2.5 and gave themselves contingencies to drop to 1.9. For DLF specifically, as I mentioned there is more money planned elsewhere.

I think we’ll have a strip (not the whole plot, but a strip) developed from Critter country to the Esplanade under a decade from now. The Toy Story lot strikes me as needing some development post Eastern Gateway. It’s going to be highly underutilized after that massive garage opens, I expect them to shut it down for parking immediately after the garages open.
they really need to reconsider the original plans for an elevated system to carry people from the Mickey/Toy Story structure to DTD area. It would definitely pay off in the amount of real estate they can reclaim that is used by the tram route.

MagicWDI

I can't see why they can't bring a version of the Disney Skyway to the DLR. It moves loads of people and is much more cost efficient than a continuous elevated fixed structure that needs large amounts of right of way and could be very costly.

Not to mention they are fun (unless it's closing time).

Phroobar

I can't see why they can't bring a version of the Disney Skyway to the DLR. It moves loads of people and is much more cost efficient than a continuous elevated fixed structure that needs large amounts of right of way and could be very costly.

Not to mention they are fun (unless it's closing time).
Until you have to rescue someone in an emergency or someone decides to jump.

Stevek

Having seen some ride through videos from Fantasy Spring at Tokyo Disney Sea, I can absolutely see them building the far superior Frozen attraction as part of this expansion. I'd like to see them go even further and add the coaster from Frozen Hong Kong so there are two attractions for any Frozen area. The Pan ride would be redundant, and the Tangled Boat Ride would be a solid candidate though it appears to be too short. The outdoor Tink ride reminded me of Heimlich's Chew Chew (RIP) but with cars that turned. Would probably be a good family attraction but I thought it looked quite boring.

Stevek

Until you have to rescue someone in an emergency or someone decides to jump.
I don't believe anyone's jumped from the WDW versions (don't believe the doors can be opened from inside) but yeah, the emergency part would suck but again, haven't heard about that being an issue in Orlando either...at least not in a while. I think the bigger issue is that in Orlando, everything is basically on Disney property which they clearly don't have the control over here.

MagicWDI

It would be kind of a problem if they have to shut down Harbor Blvd to cherry pick people out of buckets.
It would most definitely be a problem. Just like a fire in a highrise and a 10 car pile up on the freeway. But these are anecdotal problems and have never stopped these kinds of projects before. Not to mention this form of transportation is nothing new and has a decent track record compared to other forms of transportation. I'd also assume it would be well regulated as the system would need city cooperation and it being available to the public.

Of course any form of transformation would need to be safe and well regulated with hopefully strong oversight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom