DisneylandForward

TP2000

Coco boat ride instead of a rumored simulator would be killer.

I would agree with that. A Coco boat ride could be very cute and upbeat.

But let's be honest, in several corners of DCA anything would be better than what's been there for the past 25 years...

2aab8220b5fbe2341c1a3e48cc025f78.jpg

DLR-18_0423-B-Ambiance-0012.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

Goofys_Sky_School.jpg

DLR92

I don’t think DCA would ever see a fume ride. It takes too much space with of what DCA occupies and it layout. I wouldn’t mind for an exciting dark ride in place of Goofy Sky School though.

TP2000

I don’t think DCA would ever see a fume ride. It takes too much space with of what DCA occupies and it layout. I wouldn’t mind for an exciting dark ride in place of Goofy Sky School though.

Several of the new fume rides at Tokyo DisneySea take up no more space than a Midway Mania or a Monsters Inc. or a Philharmagic theater at DCA do. There's currently three plots of unused land in DCA that could be used to build similar rides the size of the three E and D Ticket rides at Tokyo DisneySea's new Fantasy Springs area.

For instance, the entire Rapunzel ride complex in Tokyo sits on 65,000 square feet of land.

The Peter Pan ride complex in Tokyo, including the rockwork and waterfalls in front, sits on 90,000 square feet of land.

The Frozen ride complex in Tokyo, including the mountains and nearby food/retail buildings, sits on 105,00 square feet of land.

The Monsters Inc. and abandoned Stage 17 soundstage next door on its west side sit on 78,000 square feet of land.

The second parade float warehouse built at DCA in a panic in 2002 to house the Electrical Parade floats located behind San Fransokyo and Cars Land is 75,000 square feet of land.

The unused Hyperion Theatre and the abandoned soundstage next door to it on its north side sit on 122,000 square feet of land.

The unused backstage area south of Marvel Land and east of Cars Land sits on 355,000 square feet of land.

There's plenty of space for multiple new rides at DCA, fume or otherwise, without even touching the Simba lot across Disneyland Drive.

There was a fume ride in this DCA concept art.

iu

It's not just the fume ride missing, it's that type of thing that DCA lacks in and around Pixar Pier; movement and layers.

Heck, they abandoned the wave machine during the Bush administration and are too cheap to throw a few fake buoys out there. Instead, they've just let it look like this most days since 2010...

does-it-bother-anyone-else-that-these-are-not-underwater-v0-36xs8qnj1p7b1.jpg

And that's on a good day. Some days you show up at DCA and they're just doing this all day...

IMG_3541-768x576.jpg

TP2000

https://ktla.com/news/theme-parks/d...to-disneyland-resort-according-to-disney-ceo/

The “Avatar” experience, first announced by Disney CEO Bob Iger in 2023, will officially be the first new themed area to break ground under the recently approved Disneyland Forward proposal.

So... there's goes a New Tomorrowland any time this decade. :(

Bob really seems to be milking that Avatar announcement, isn't he? This is like the third time he's announced this. Is he getting forgetful in his old age, or do they just not have anything else worth mentioning for any of the other abandoned buildings and forgotten attractions around the Resort?

Abandoned stuff like.... Hollywood Land Stage 17 & Stage 12, Hyperion Theater, Motorboat Cruise Lagoon, Carousel Theater, Fantasyland Theater, The Starcade, Tomorrowland Theater, At Least One of DCA's Parade Warehouses, etc., etc.

TP2000

Several of the new fume rides at Tokyo DisneySea take up no more space than a Midway Mania or a Monsters Inc. or a Philharmagic theater at DCA do. There's currently three plots of unused land in DCA that could be used to build similar rides the size of the three E and D Ticket rides at Tokyo DisneySea's new Fantasy Springs area.

For instance, the entire Rapunzel ride complex in Tokyo sits on 65,000 square feet of land.

The Peter Pan ride complex in Tokyo, including the rockwork and waterfalls in front, sits on 90,000 square feet of land.

The Frozen ride complex in Tokyo, including the mountains and nearby food/retail buildings, sits on 105,00 square feet of land.

The Monsters Inc. and abandoned Stage 17 soundstage next door on its west side sit on 78,000 square feet of land.

The second parade float warehouse built at DCA in a panic in 2002 to house the Electrical Parade floats located behind San Fransokyo and Cars Land is 75,000 square feet of land.

The unused Hyperion Theatre and the abandoned soundstage next door to it on its north side sit on 122,000 square feet of land.

The unused backstage area south of Marvel Land and east of Cars Land sits on 355,000 square feet of land.

There's plenty of space for multiple new rides at DCA, fume or otherwise, without even touching the Simba lot across Disneyland Drive.

Quoting myself, because I already talk to myself anyway, so why not?

Here's a quick and dirty little example of the square footage available in easy spots around DCA, where abandoned buildings or under-utilized rides (Sorry, Monsters Inc.) currently exist. With the associated square footage of new rides in Tokyo DisneySea and their connected shops/dining complexes.

1. Frozen Complex, 105,000 square feet = 1 E Ticket, 1 Restaurant, 1 Shop
2. Rapunzel Complex 75,000 square feet = 1 D Ticket, 1 Restaurant
3. Peter Pan Complex 90,000 square feet = 1 D Ticket, 1 Restaurant

In the maps below of DCA, the three ride outlined areas have at least that much space as listed above, with a bit leftover and some open common areas leading up to them like in Hollywoodland. This is not to say that these three themes should go here, as they shouldn't, but you could build a ride complex housing the same type experiences as Fantasy Springs three big rides but themed to DCA's stories and places.

Blondes Vs. Brunettes.jpg

Peter Pan He Him.jpg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

mickEblu

So... there's goes a New Tomorrowland any time this decade. :(

Bob really seems to be milking that Avatar announcement, isn't he? This is like the third time he's announced this. Is he getting forgetful in his old age, or do they just not have anything else worth mentioning for any of the other abandoned buildings and forgotten attractions around the Resort?

Abandoned stuff like.... Hollywood Land Stage 17 & Stage 12, Hyperion Theater, Motorboat Cruise Lagoon, Carousel Theater, Fantasyland Theater, The Starcade, Tomorrowland Theater, At Least One of DCA's Parade Warehouses, etc., etc.

Try 13 times lol. I think they've announced it like 13 times. The rumor is it's replacing the backlot so that would address the empty soundstages. Not sure about the Hyperion. I don't think it'll be part of it. I've been manifesting an Avatar boat ride in the backlot for a while but suddenly Ive come to the conclusion that its a shame to lose one of the only two family friendly dark rides in the park in a park with such a high ratio of flat rides. Granted, if they can make that concept art come to life people will forget about Monsters Inc in about 2.5 seconds. Still, I like the idea of Monstropolis in the backlot (especially if it came with a Doors coaster) and Avatar in the Simba lot. It makes sense for a multitude of reasons. My guess is Disney doesn't consider Monsters Inc. worthy of that much space at a resort where land is at a premium. Too many stories to tell, too much IP yet to be represented and not enough land. Well, not enough when everything has to be a 15 acre land with two rides that is.

In the Parks
No
Technically though a Tomorrowland refresh isn't considered part of DL Forward right? So it doesn't necessarily mean that it wouldn't be coming until after Avatar.
Why not both at the same time?

Breaking news:

Tomorrowland at Disneyland will be replaced by Pandora: The World of Avatar!

Of course, the Tomorrowland Theater will remain vacant, with the exception of the Avatar 8 special sneak peek with in-theater effects.

TP2000

Try 13 times lol. I think they've announced it like 13 times. The rumor is it's replacing the backlot so that would address the empty soundstages. Not sure about the Hyperion.

It's weird how silent they are on the Hyperion Theater. They announced they were going to build a Hyperion type theater for WDW's Magic Kingdom, but then it went silent for a couple years before it got cancelled entirely.

Something tells me in their new business culture, where they spend tons of money on white collar cubicle jobs and failed movies but not much money on actual in-park offerings, that something like the Hyperion Theatre doesn't pencil out anymore.

I think they painted the staircase last year though, didn't they? So maybe not? But still, the parks are bursting at the seams and they can't put a stage show on in that giant facility to soak up 10,000 people per day? That seems fishy.

I mean, the Hyperion Theater facility is cheap and ugly as hell from the outside, so I wouldn't miss it if it was replaced by some cheesy Avatar boat ride with one (1) animatronic. But still, you'd think they would do something with it at least in the short-term instead of just let it sit there rotting and abandoned.

Disney-California-Adventure-Hyperion-Theater-Stairs-micechat.jpg

The random fast food plastic highchairs are a whimsical touch, aren't they? I'm immersed!

Ismael Flores

I wonder how hard it would be to move Monsters Inc over to Pixar Pier...
They had doubts about moving Heimlich and creating a fun little two level ride. Then they opted for the easy thing and added a rethemed flicks flyer. Even then they cut the budget even more and left a bunch of concrete instead of the original lush landscaping for the ride. moving a whole dark ride is usually more expensive with little return.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
They had doubts about moving Heimlich and creating a fun little two level ride. Then they opted for the easy thing and added a retimed flicks flyer. Even then they cut the budget even more and left a bunch of concrete instead of the original lush landscaping for the ride. moving a whole dark ride is usually more expensive with little return.
Wait, I never heard about that plan. What was this going to be?

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If we lose Mike & Sully to the Rescue, they should scatter the AAs/figures around Pixar Pier. The land makes no sense anyway (it’s a pier owned/operated by Pixar characters? What’s happening?), the least they could do is fill it with Mike Wizowski and Frozone and Remy trying to sell you food and carnival barking and such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom