DisneylandForward

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Agreed. They’ve “announced” the Avatar land but I feel like we will get a location, details and hopefully timelines at D23. Hopefully some actual info on the Avengers E-ticket as well with dates.
I’m sure we’ll also get some beyond Big Thunder Mountain type bs as well for the parking lots across Disneyland Dr.
Mystic Henry mentioned Hollywoodland being replaced and the Avatar land for DCA separately. I wonder if the rumored DHS expansion will also be cloned for DCA and replace HL and Avatar will go into the Simba lot where it can be fleshed out better.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
That should be the first items done, as for timing I wouldn't be surprised if they don't wait until October when the new fiscal year starts. We'll probably hear about it at D23.

Now that it's approved I'm sure they'll take their sweet time. Remember Bob's discussion of spreading out costs.
For capital projects, the financial benefit of waiting until the new fiscal is basically zero. It won’t hit the books until it opens, and then it will only count for 1/20th of the cost to build each year for 20 years.

DisneyAJ

Mystic Henry mentioned Hollywoodland being replaced and the Avatar land for DCA separately. I wonder if the rumored DHS expansion will also be cloned for DCA and replace HL and Avatar will go into the Simba lot where it can be fleshed out better.
Do we know what the DHS expansion is rumored to be? To be fair whatever it is would likely fit much better over there and avatar in the simba lot would give much more space so that would be amazing.

I’m no insider, but I did see someone who tends to have insider knowledge that DLF is all about a third gate.
Toy Story lot is just waiting to be turned into a new park

Andrew25

Considering a 3rd park would probably require APs to increase pricing by $200+ a year... would Disney really do that? Lowest priced AP will be $1K at a minimum lol

Really do think DL just needs expansions and retrofits of existing areas... not a 3rd park.

Andrew25

It does need a really good space themed sit down dining space. The food quality is low par right now.
I have to imagine a Space 220 franchise is planned for Anaheim at some point lol

Agreed that Tomorrowland would be the ideal space for something like that. Especially with the multilevel buildings already there. They just need to be utilized better.
Great crowd management too, put the attraction entrances on the 2nd floor while keeping the profit center on the first. Make guests find the attractions, make it easy for them to find dining/shopping lol

I've not seen our insiders here that I trust say such a thing.

Tho not bound to it, Disney presented a expansion of two parks. They didn't mention the possibility of a third gate.
I can't imagine a 3rd gate without an increase in available resort rooms? Not that DL relies on tourists, but I'd imagine part of a 3rd gate business model is to take advantage of additional hotel nights.

Nirya

Any discussion of a third gate in those expansion spots west of Disneyland Drive would almost necessitate tearing out the Disneyland Hotel and rebuilding those rooms somewhere else. It's why I think the idea behind turning the Toy Story Lot into a Disney Springs-ish area with a ton of extra rooms makes sense as a bridge idea.

My pie-in-the-sky concept for this expansion would be as follows:

- A brand new Disneyland Hotel complex is built as part of the Toy Story lot area. This would provide extra rooms for both the resort and the convention center nearby, while also providing the convention center with some better food options for attendees (let's be honest here: asking them to walk all the way to DTD is a lot). This new complex is outside the security bubble (important distinction which you'll understand why soon enough) and some of the higher-end food options at DTD get shifted over here, while DTD shifts their offerings to service the people going to the parks (think quick eateries and experiences).
- Disney buys GardenWalk. This adds a few more hotels to their footprint while creating one long corridor they would own from the parks to the new DLH/DS complex. The complex would likely need to be reconfigured a bit for coming changes, but it would have a path to the new parking structure on the east side. This would also be outside the security bubble. Getting new tenants will likely not be as difficult for the following reason:
- Monorail gets extended and rebuilt, with the Disneyland station taken out and a station instead added to GardenWalk as a transportation hub to move guests from the DLH/DS complex to the resort. Guests would have to go through security to board (thus getting them into the security bubble) but monorail service is completely free. New track layout would cut out the winding around above Autopia and instead do the one outer circle (thus still giving access to the Roundhouse), would cross Harbor twice at Disney Way and then cut through Garden Walk, with the station on the north side of the complex to also service people at the new parking structure. The track would then do a loop in the middle of the new DLH/DS complex (similar to the monorail path at Epcot) before going back through GardenWalk, across Harbor, and relinking with the old track through DCA. I think this would necessitate losing or relocating House of Blues and the AMC Theaters, but that can be accommodated for with the new DLH/DS complex.
- Finally, the hard part: tearing down the existing DLH complex to free up the final space to put a third gate. Entrance would be about where the current security checkpoint is from the DLH, so you would exit the monorail and be right at that gate. I don't personally care what they put in this park, since I'm more thinking logistically with everything else at the resort, but if Disney was willing to hold out on adding Avatar to DCA immediately, this would be a slam-dunk anchor for the new park.

But I also recognize this would cost billions to do on its own before even getting to the park...which is also why it kinda makes sense as the first move for Disney if they really did want a third gate.

mickEblu

We all know this will be a decades long project, but I think Disney would do themselves a world of good in the PR department by not dragging their feet. I don't see serious reasons why they couldn't get the ball rolling on the EGW this summer.

I agree. I also think they’ll start Avatar simultaneously.

Consumer

The problem with hotels on the Toy Story lot (besides wasting the last real plot of expansion) is that it removes any incentive to stay on Disney property. The Toy Story lot is a mile away from Disneyland and takes roughly half an hour to walk to. The current Disneyland Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the gate. On top of that, being further away, these hotels wouldn't offer views of the parks or be as optimal for fireworks. All in all, it's going to cost more for the same kind of experience you can get from the myriad of local hotels. The Toy Story lot ought to be used for a true third gate. Perhaps it can have hotels incorporated into it, much like DCA or TDS, but saving all 80 or so acres just for hotels is a brain dead move for Disney.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The problem with hotels on the Toy Story lot (besides wasting the last real plot of expansion) is that it removes any incentive to stay on Disney property. The Toy Story lot is a mile away from Disneyland and takes roughly half an hour to walk to. The current Disneyland Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the gate. On top of that, being further away, these hotels wouldn't offer views of the parks or be as optimal for fireworks. All in all, it's going to cost more for the same kind of experience you can get from the myriad of local hotels. The Toy Story lot ought to be used for a true third gate. Perhaps it can have hotels incorporated into it, much like DCA or TDS, but saving all 80 or so acres just for hotels is a brain dead move for Disney.
If they did the hotel/retail/dining option they already drew illustrations for.....

1715215172799.png

...then they can just shuttle people right up Clementine/Manchester straight to the new EGW transportation hub.

1715215311326.png

Then the mile long walking distance wouldn't be an issue.

Consumer

If they did the hotel/retail/dining option they already drew illustrations for.....

View attachment 784235

...then they can just shuttle people right up Clementine/Manchester straight to the new EGW transportation hub.

View attachment 784237

Then the mile long walking distance wouldn't be an issue.
Instead of spending half an hour walking to the park gates, now guests can spend half an hour waiting for their shuttle. It's really not much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom