DisneylandForward

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let's round up Mr. Potrock's figure of $1.9 Billion in park investment over the next ten years to $2 Billion.

During its design and construction phase 15 years ago, Cars Land was reported to have cost roughly $600 Million, and the Racers ride alone took half that budget. Adjusted for inflation from 2010 dollars, that would be $860 Million today. But assuming that inflation stays at its currently elevated (and rising again) rate for at least another year, it's probably wiser to say it's at least a $900 Million project in 2026-28 dollars.

$2 Billion would seem to buy two Cars Land style expansions (one for each park?) and a smattering of new connecting infrastructure. Or in other words, spread Resortwide; 2 E Tickets and 4 C Ticket spinners, with a half dozen new restaurants and a half dozen new shops. Opening sometime between 2028 and 2034.

Just spitballing that, to temper our expectations a bit for how long and drawn out this DisneylandForward process is likely to be, and what $2 Billion actually buys you now.
Remember that figure is a MINIMUM over 10 years not a maximum. So they can spend more if the projects they have planned warrant it. For example I sort of expect that a lot of that $1.9B number will be spent on Iger’s pet project of Avatar at DLR. So will need more for other things during that same period.

TP2000

Remember that figure is a MINIMUM over 10 years not a maximum. So they can spend more if the projects they have planned warrant it. For example I sort of expect that a lot of that $1.9B number will be spent on Iger’s pet project of Avatar at DLR. So will need more for other things during that same period.

As a lifelong Disney fan, I've been burned too many times in the past decade or so by that thought process.

They've proven they are no longer trustworthy or believable, until the day after the bulldozers arrive.

Even if they announce big splashy ideas at D23 Expo this summer, and put snazzy HD artwork on display for people to ooh and ahh over, that's no guarantee any of it will ever get built. They're using the $1.9 Billion figure on purpose, but let's remember all the stuff that Jay Rasulo or Bob Chapek or Josh D'Amaro announced for the American parks at previous D23 Expo, and then was summarily cancelled and forgotten and buried....

New Fantasyland at WDW!
bc6bf6dc8e4172dd4068586cf2a4c0e4.jpg

GItQqUbWkAA1zf5.jpg

New EPCOT coming to WDW!

disney-epcot-festival.jpg

PLAY-pavilion-720x340.jpg

Mary-Poppins-EPCOT-concept-art-620x330.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As a lifelong Disney fan, I've been burned too many times in the past decade or so by that thought process.

They've proven they are no longer trustworthy or believable, until the day after the bulldozers arrive.

Even if they announce big splashy ideas at D23 Expo this summer, and put snazzy HD artwork on display for people to ooh and ahh over, that's no guarantee any of it will ever get built. They're using the $1.9 Billion figure on purpose, but let's remember all the stuff that Jay Rasulo or Bob Chapek or Josh D'Amaro announced for the American parks at previous D23 Expo, and then was summarily cancelled and forgotten and buried....

New Fantasyland at WDW!

GItQqUbWkAA1zf5.jpg

New EPCOT coming to WDW!

Lets be honest a majority of that was cancelled due to the pandemic when spending was cut to pretty much zero and just never revived. So I'm not disputing the fact they have cancelled projects previously. Which also has nothing to do with anything we're talking about since no projects have been announced yet as part of DLForward, other than maybe Avatar.

All I'm stating is a fact, its a minimum not a maximum as you keep trying to put as fact. The number is the number because that is what they want to use as a number in the marketing for DLForward. Its meant to be used as a carrot to get the project approved by Anaheim. It should not be used as a hard number they will be using as a cap on the next 10 years of the project. Now could they just spend $1.9B for 1 land and a hotel/retail space over the next 10 years and call it a day, of course. But as we know there are certain things they will want to do as a priority. For example I'm going to say that Avatar at DLR is 100% going to happen as that is an Iger pet project. And if we just take the ~$500M for Pandora at AK as the starting price tag that eats up a huge piece of that $1.9B number. That is why I'm saying that $1.9B is just a minimum that you can't take as a cap.

But I'm sure you'll be here for the next 10 years tallying up all the projects associated with DLForward to give us a total.

J4546

New Fantasyland at WDW!

GItQqUbWkAA1zf5.jpg

New EPCOT coming to WDW!

Well imo I get the fantasyland letdown but with epcot I'm happier without the table and like the communicore plaza area, Mary Poppins being a spinner would be an ok addition but way off the mark of what a proper mp ride could be and play was just gonna be meh anyways so hopefully something cooler comes out of it instead

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All I'm stating is a fact, its a minimum not a maximum as you keep trying to put as fact. The number is the number because that is what they want to use as a number in the marketing for DLForward.
Indeed.

For those who would be skeptical of Disney doing anything and just sitting on the now-developable land for years, the $1.9B is a guarantee that Disney will at least start doing something, up to a minimum of $1.9B.

Get the bridges built and at least put two new lands in the new space (one for DL and one for DCA), at that's a start.

CaptinEO

Indeed.

For those who would be skeptical of Disney doing anything and just sitting on the now-developable land for years, the $1.9B is a guarantee that Disney will at least start doing something, up to a minimum of $1.9B.

Get the bridges built and at least put two new lands in the new space (one for DL and one for DCA), at that's a start.
We have no idea what may happen with The Walt Disney Company in the next few years. In the 90s they got approval to expand Disneyland with a new park and made one of the lamest low budget themeparks ever. There are many factors and throwing money at things isn't always the solution.

That being said I'm excited to see what the future holds.

TP2000

We have no idea what may happen with The Walt Disney Company in the next few years. In the 90s they got approval to expand Disneyland with a new park and made one of the lamest low budget themeparks ever. There are many factors and throwing money at things isn't always the solution.

That's a whole other genre of cancelled official art from cancelled official press releases; Westcot Center. 🤣

WestcotGREAT.jpg

I mean, if you can't trust Michael Eisner and the Los Angeles Times, who can you trust?!? 🤔

TP2000

For those tracking the results of the Inflation Reduction Act of 2023, $3 Billion in 1990 is $7.2 Billion in today's money.

By the way, do you notice in that artwork how even in 1990 with Westcot reshaping the entire property, the Pixar Place Hotel still exists as a dead hotel that can't be touched or altered?!? Wouldn't you love to read that legal agreement that keeps that ugly hotel there unchanged until the last human leaves earth for the Mars colony? 🤣

DCBaker

Premium Member
Ahead of the City Council vote tomorrow, the City of Anaheim has released a notice with an overview and a couple things to keep in mind:

If DisneylandForward were to see approval on Tuesday, a second vote would be required at the Council’s next meeting on May 7. If approved at that time, the proposal would require another 30 days for changes to take effect.

Tuesday’s meeting is expected to see a large number of attendees and public comments.

For planning purposes, the item may come before the Council somewhere around 6 or 7 p.m., with the potential for three hours or more of public comment before the Council itself begins to discuss the item.

Full details at the link below.

NobodyElse

Ahead of the City Council vote tomorrow, the City of Anaheim has released a notice with an overview and a couple things to keep in mind:

If DisneylandForward were to see approval on Tuesday, a second vote would be required at the Council’s next meeting on May 7. If approved at that time, the proposal would require another 30 days for changes to take effect.

Tuesday’s meeting is expected to see a large number of attendees and public comments.

For planning purposes, the item may come before the Council somewhere around 6 or 7 p.m., with the potential for three hours or more of public comment before the Council itself begins to discuss the item.

Sounds like they're doing everything they can to stay on the up and up, avoiding any obvious appearance of impropriety. I guess some people still remember that Angels deal that didn't go over too well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So no news until D23 then at the earliest, as expected.

truecoat

New Fantasyland at WDW!

The original plans for New Fantasyland were mainly glorified princess meet and greets. It was Staggs who spearheaded the plans to include the 7DMT.

MK-fan

Is the 2 Billion primarily for new attractions in the expanded areas next to the hotels or do they plan on using some of those billions to build on dead parts of the parks that they could expand on aka Tomorrowland, Hollywood Backlot, Avengers Campus expansion area, galaxy’s edge expansion area, Fanatsyland Theater area, Subs/Autopia/Monorail area.

shambolicdefending

My favorite line of the day from the LA Times...

“Tonight is a decision that has weighed very heavily on [my] mind,” Mayor Ashleigh Aitken said during Tuesday night’s meeting. “As someone that has been quite the vocal critic in the past of some of these projects, I’ve been really surprised in doing my due diligence and reading thousands of pages of documents that this project will bring a benefit to our community, not just in the near future, but decades to come..."

How refreshing that the mayor of Anaheim has come to the somehow unexpected realization that Disneyland investment benefits the city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom