DisneylandForward

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
If Avatar is going to DCA it looks like the Hyperion would have to go. I could see an FOP or other show building going there and in conjunction with the Hollywood backlot and some of the eastern gateway space of necessary.
I think Hollywoodland goes away and BVS gets expanded all way to the Hyperion. The backlot becomes a transition area/ the beginning of Pandora. Monsters Inc may need to be sacrificed but not necessarily. Then with the all the Hollywood soundstages + Easter gateway expansion room you use for a combo of Pandora and ride show buildings. If two rides are coming they may need the Hyperions real estate as well.
The plans, from the concept art and map I saw, call for an expansion of DCA beyond Paradise Gardens Park and the Grand Californian Hotel, not behind Hollywoodland and Avengers Campus.

Also, I thought they were working on an Avatar "experience" (something that would go in the Star Wars Launch Bay building) for Disneyland, not an Avatar "land"?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The plans, from the concept art and map I saw, call for an expansion of DCA beyond Paradise Gardens Park and the Grand Californian Hotel, not behind Hollywoodland and Avengers Campus.

Also, I thought they were working on an Avatar "experience" (something that would go in the Star Wars Launch Bay building) for Disneyland, not an Avatar "land"?
That is different than what is being talked about. That is within the Disneyland Forward concepts, which are not real concepts anyways, its all hypothetical. So we don't even know if the real expansion there would be near Paradise Garden/Grand Californian or not.

The expansion area that is being talked about was the area that was part of the Eastern Gateway project that was already planned out but never approved. That plan had an expansion area for DCA where the existing bus/shuttle drop off area on the Harbor side of the esplanade is now, ie an expansion for Hollywoodland.

Also there is no "area" specifically announced for the Avatar project in Disneyland, its all just speculation by posters and Youtubers based on known available area for expansion in the park footprint. For all we know Disney has a completely different area in mind for the Avatar project.

socalifornian

I think Hollywoodland goes away and BVS gets expanded all way to the Hyperion. The backlot becomes a transition area/ the beginning of Pandora. Monsters Inc may need to be sacrificed but not necessarily. Then with the all the Hollywood soundstages + Easter gateway expansion room you use for a combo of Pandora and ride show buildings. If two rides are coming they may need the Hyperions real estate as well.
There’s plenty of room for Monsters Inc. and Hyperion to survive if there’s a similar DAK footprint. More than 2 rides in their new lands would be nice..

Attachments

• 43FA53A5-3BD1-413F-AB2C-1678CF6A2BC1.jpeg
    43FA53A5-3BD1-413F-AB2C-1678CF6A2BC1.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 2F5C38BD-6F34-4FA4-A25F-259F3D6E3A7D.jpeg
    2F5C38BD-6F34-4FA4-A25F-259F3D6E3A7D.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 106

mickEblu

There’s plenty of room for Monsters Inc. and Hyperion to survive if there’s a similar DAK footprint. More than 2 rides in their new lands would be nice..

Nice! I do think they’ll try to keep Monsters Inc. especially since it looks like they have more than enough room and that’s with accounting for some possible generous borders in your image and/or some real estate that may not be expendable.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nice! I do think they’ll try to keep Monsters Inc. especially since it looks like they have more than enough room and that’s with accounting for some possible generous borders in your image and/or some real estate that may not be expendable.
I guess it would depend on if they want to build a ride with a huge show building or not, something like Rise. If they do Monsters is on the chopping block in my opinion.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

As we know Disneyland needs all the parking it can get. How likely do you guys think it is
The track would be moved like this.

View attachment 710897
My guess it that stage 17 (I believe correct me if I am wrong) and Monsters could be demoed for some sort of dark ride maybe on par with MMRR or that TDS Peter Pan Flight attraction. Or this will be where Flight of Passage/Avatar is going. I wonder If Avatar does end up in DCA rather than DL in Hollywoodland what would happen to Philharmagic/Sunset Showcase Theater? would the plot be demoed for an attraction or become a eatery/walking space?

truecoat

As we know Disneyland needs all the parking it can get. How likely do you guys think it is

My guess it that stage 17 (I believe correct me if I am wrong) and Monsters could be demoed for some sort of dark ride maybe on par with MMRR or that TDS Peter Pan Flight attraction. Or this will be where Flight of Passage/Avatar is going. I wonder If Avatar does end up in DCA rather than DL in Hollywoodland what would happen to Philharmagic/Sunset Showcase Theater? would the plot be demoed for an attraction or become a eatery/walking space?

Does anyone know what stage 12 is or was used for? Is it just a multi-purpose space?

truecoat

I wonder if it ends up looking more like this... the bridge is redesigned to terminate further north, with security and and a path into the main esplanade mushed up against the berm. That would still leave a lot of real estate for DCA expansion where the current transport hub is:

View attachment 711051

It would be about the same amount of expansion space with a smaller security area. The exit to the bridge might interfere with the monorail.

Nirya

I'm going to assume the security tents are going to stay where they currently are (if not in a more permanent structure) just because you need a sizeable amount of them to accommodate all the traffic that will be coming from this side. Shrinking the amount of tents would ultimately cause more delays and be a bigger security risk, and people standing around on the bridge waiting wouldn't be a great look.

el_super

Does anyone know what stage 12 is or was used for? Is it just a multi-purpose space?

The kitchen space is still in use, as far as I know. The remaining space (former Flynn's Arcade) was being used as dressing rooms for various performers.

Shrinking the amount of tents would ultimately cause more delays and be a bigger security risk, and people standing around on the bridge waiting wouldn't be a great look.

They are already short security capacity on that east side. If they add more parking on that side without an additional increase in security capacity, it would cause significant delays.

But I still don't think adding parking capacity on that side is a priority now that Pixal Pals has been built.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

A multipurpose space currently used to sell Marvel merch. This and Monsters can be leveled for some sort of Rise level family E ticket for DCA now that the Avengers E ticket could be a Cosmic Rewind like coaster. I foresee the Sunset Theater will be demoed for a dark ride on par with Web Slingers.

ProjectXBlog

A multipurpose space currently used to sell Marvel merch. This and Monsters can be leveled for some sort of Rise level family E ticket for DCA now that the Avengers E ticket could be a Cosmic Rewind like coaster. I foresee the Sunset Theater will be demoed for a dark ride on par with Web Slingers.
You’re thinking of Stage 17.

TP2000

Stage 12 is back in the northeast corner of the HollywoodLand area. It was built as part of DCA's opening in 2001. It was originally called the Hollywood & Dine food court. I remember having some very bad Chinese food there in 2001 that was dripping in corn syrup. It closed after that first summer when DCA fell flat on its face in failure, as there was no need for all that dining capacity in a failed park.

hollywoodanddine_lockedblocked2002ww.jpg

Stage 12 then sat unused for years. Then in 2010 for Glow Fest, and thereafter as they started doing temporary marketing overlays of the Backlot area (with varying degrees of success), they began using Stage 12 as a photo or meet n' greet location.

Probably it's biggest success post-2001 was the summer they used it for a recreation of Flynn's Arcade from TRON and stocked it with vintage 1980's video games. I actually liked that offering!

DCA_00846_LARGE.jpg

Around five years ago, I saw a video on Facebook that showed the interior of Stage 12 was being used as a Green Room/Lounge of sorts for performing school groups and bands. The interior was a mish-mash of concepts from the past 20 years, with junk stored where the food court order counters used to be. The band kids were sitting around after their Backlot Stage performance waiting for their chaperones to sternly remind them that "You are ambassadors for Canyon High School!" before they were released into the park for the rest of the day to run wild and sully the good name of Canyon High for generations to come. :cool:

DLR92

Yes, but the cut-throughs took away from the business' parking lots. At least, that was the sticking point for the McDonald's. But, otherwise, yes, I agree with you. Disney's initial (and arrogant?) approach of "here's what we're doing!" caught everyone off-guard and put the businesses on the defensive. By the time they came back with compromise ideas, it was too late. The trust was gone. Like you said, what they are doing today with the community outreach is MUCH more likely to succeed.
I remember it put me off guard too, I stand with the local businesses. I was completely against the proposal completely.

Purduevian

I'm going to assume the security tents are going to stay where they currently are (if not in a more permanent structure) just because you need a sizeable amount of them to accommodate all the traffic that will be coming from this side. Shrinking the amount of tents would ultimately cause more delays and be a bigger security risk, and people standing around on the bridge waiting wouldn't be a great look.
They could always upgrade to the contactless security system that WDW is using. It is so much faster to get through a lane that less lanes could probably process more people.

PiratesMansion

They could always upgrade to the contactless security system that WDW is using. It is so much faster to get through a lane that less lanes could probably process more people.
They 100% need to do this. The system WDW and many other parks use basically means that people are almost never stopped, practically eliminating a huge bottleneck.

WDW is so much better at everything that happens before you actually enter the parks. It makes no sense that DLR is still using the practices they do when basically every other Disney resort on the planet, and indeed several non-Disney parks, are much better at it.

Maybe at this point they keep the current procedures in place because they're worried that they'd just end up with pandemonium in the Esplanade if Security is less of a bottleneck? It gets pretty slammed outside the turnstiles as it is the first few hours the parks are open even with the current, slow security procedures. Move people through the faster scanners and the current lines at the turnstiles would balloon and potentially run into each other.

I hope that's not actually the reason why we have the security setup we do, but I'm struggling to think of other reasons why the current setup makes any sense.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom