Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

Wow, I did not know that. That's gotta be tough!

Indoor Dining has returned here in OC, but it's all technically illegal. But no one enforces it. Only the big corporate players have to obey the rules because they have legal teams and carefully curated Twitter accounts that would be destroyed if a Karen in New York found out that an Olive Garden in Orange County was openly violating California's The Guidance.

But for the non-corporate restaurants, they can do whatever they want.

I took this picture earlier tonight. I went down the hill and across the freeway to a favorite pizza parlor for dinner. The pizza parlor will let you eat inside once you order at the counter, and next door to it was a Pho restaurant that also had people dining indoors, with full waitress service.

IMG_20210307_200612.jpg

Oh, and see that shop next door with the barber pole and windows covered in black plastic? That's a barber shop that operates daily for customers. But by keeping their windows covered in black plastic they don't have to obey the Sacramento mandates on capacity and plexiglass panels between chairs, they can just run their barber shop as normal.

This type of open disobedience and flouting of Sacramento "mandates" is very, very common in Orange County.

And when Orange County reaches the Red Tier in a couple weeks, this type of indoor dining will actually be legal again. Except for theme parks. So the IHOP and Panera Bread and Captain Kidd's Buffet across Harbor Blvd. from Disneyland will have indoor dining, but The Blue Bayou will be closed. Catal and Naples Ristorante in Downtown Disney will be open for indoor dining, but Carthay Circle inside DCA will be closed. You can eat indoors at Splitsville, but you can not eat indoors at Flo's V8 Cafe.

In Sacramento, this all makes sense to someone. And they pretend that most small businesses are not ignoring them.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Your Sunday update on new COVID-19 cases for Anaheim and Orange County brings more good news with low numbers and a positivity rate around 1 percent for this batch of tests.
Keep up the great work fighting COVID in all that you do.
The county notes today's death report continues to be high following a catch up in data from the state's reporting system. We send our deepest condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to this virus.
Tomorrow, the Anaheim POD at Disneyland will reopen as a drive-thru site intended for people who need ADA accommodations. We should also see the weekly update on vaccines given through the county tomorrow. We’ll be sure to share that here on Facebook.
Here's your summary for March 7:
* Anaheim cases: 12 cases, with one among children, for a running total of 41,052
* Anaheim deaths: 11; running total of 752
* OC cases: 110 new cases, for a running total of 247,751
* OC deaths reported: 53; running total of 4,226
* OC tests: 8,917; running total of 3,113,647
* OC hospitalizations: 296, down from 321
* OC ICU: 89, up from 87
* OC ventilators available: 68 percent, up from 66 percent
* OC ICU beds available: 34 percent, up from 32.2 percent
More at Anaheim.net/coronavirus.<<

ToTBellHop

From my understanding they wouldn't be able to. Unless they cap the extended dates to allow 15%. thefood event I believe is capped at 25% correct me if I am wrong.
15% of what though? Capacity should rise with rides open. Otherwise we are claiming it is somehow safer to have more people in the park while they are all in walkways than it is to have fewer people in a more-open park.

Capacity gibberish, in general, is nonsense. Capacity changes all the time in the parks.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
15% of what though? Capacity should rise with rides open. Otherwise we are claiming it is somehow safer to have more people in the park while they are all in walkways than it is to have fewer people in a more-open park.

Capacity gibberish, in general, is nonsense. Capacity changes all the time in the parks.
Also, 100% capacity is only hit a few times a year, such as July 4th and Christmas. So you start off with a high number.

For example, Angel Stadium will be allowed 20% which is 11, 200. Weird thing here, no concessions except for in seat delivery.

ToTBellHop

Also, 100% capacity is only hit a few times a year, such as July 4th and Christmas. So you start off with a high number.

For example, Angel Stadium will be allowed 20% which is 11, 200. Weird thing here, no concessions except for in seat delivery.
Right. WDW is at 35%, apparently. It feels busy. You honestly can’t do much more than 35% of New Years Eve crowds while claiming there is any social distancing and while cutting almost all entertainment.

When WDW first reopened at 15%, they apparently were making a (very small) profit. So it is worthwhile for them to reopen the parks. They make up for decreased revenue by very slowly increasing staffing.

el_super

Pretty much this. Ride capacity is one thing, but actually getting people to use it is another. You could say the in-park capacity is over 60k, but that's going to include things like Launch Bay and Lincoln and the Columbia that people just normally don't ride.

The COVID numbers are improving so quickly, there's a chance it won't matter, and Disney will just wait until OC is in the Orange Tier in order to reopen at a higher capacity.

el_super

California definitely is the poster child for why over restrictive shutdowns were a mass failure. They managed to destroy their economy and thousands of small businesses without significantly reducing covid. Florida got a lot of bad press in the past year for doing everything "wrong" but the numbers per capita are very similar. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Oh no! Completely destroyed! I guess this means Disneyland will never open again right?

ToTBellHop

el_super

California is a Failed State. Arbitrary and overly complicated theme park reopening policy further supports that California has overtaken Florida as the Dumbshine state.

So what happens next? Should I expect the birds to stop chirping in the next hour? The sun to stop shining? Will my California money be no good at the 7-11?

And more importantly: how is this going to impact Disneyland reopening?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom