Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

DanielBB8

Autopia has been updated several times recently. It’s a known quality. I don’t get why it needs to be updated again. They need to decide the overall design philosophy of Tomorrowland. I doubt they will be ambitious at all if they kept Autopia as a attraction.

The submarine is also limited by its existing vehicles. They kept the submarines beyond it’s operational use and value thematically. If they made it an actual submarine, it will help a lot. The track doesn’t lead itself to exciting adventures. The last half in the dark tunnels is complete waste.

It seems ridiculous to have Tomorrowland finally updated with the demolition of almost everything and leave behind the Subs and Autopia. They are sitting on sizable land that should be reimagined for something greater and not remain as minor C Ticket attractions.

BrianLo

Disneyland has five truly sacred cows.

The Train, Dumbo, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and IASW.

Why do you think it's day has come? It's still popular among children...

I’ll just chime in to say 2016 was the year Autotopia went from being In 100% of Castle Parks to 50%. The culling was notable. That was the sign that Disney no longer considered it a staple.

I do enjoy Disneyland’s autopia and really like the subs. If they can keep the subs I’d be happy. Autotopia uses too much land for me. Even if it’s popular amongst children.

mickEblu

I’ll just chime in to say 2016 was the year Autotopia went from being In 100% of Castle Parks to 50%. The culling was notable. That was the sign that Disney no longer considered it a staple.

I do enjoy Disneyland’s autopia and really like the subs. If they can keep the subs I’d be happy. Autotopia uses too much land for me. Even if it’s popular amongst children.

Id add the Castle, Teacups, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Storybookland, the ROA/ TSI, the Mark Twain and the Matterhorn more for the iconic structure than the ride. I think the rest of the mountains are on their way to becoming sacred cows or just a notch less sacred from the ones you mentioned. I would add the FL dark rides too but I don’t think Disney views them that way. They were going to move Toad for Pooh (how would that have worked anyway ?) and I think a big part of why they re mostly safe are the space constraints.

You remove any one of the Castle, Matterhorn or ROA and it’s not Disneyland anymore. I’d put storybookland and the Subs lagoon a tier or two under this tier.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Id add the Castle, Teacups, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Storybookland, the ROA/ TSI, the Mark Twain and the Matterhorn more for the iconic structure than the ride. I think the rest of the mountains are on their way to becoming sacred cows or just a notch less sacred from the ones you mentioned. I would add the FL dark rides too but I don’t think Disney views them that way. They were going to move Toad for Pooh (how would that have worked anyway ?) and I think a big part of why they re mostly safe are the space constraints.

You remove any one of the Castle, Matterhorn or ROA and it’s not Disneyland anymore. I’d put storybookland and the Subs lagoon a tier or two under this tier.

Sorry I should have clarified. Those are the only things that I thinks Disney considers sacred cows, not me/us. At one point or another a lot of what you list has been on a list of replaceable.

But ya the teacups Id agree there is no reason for them to be chopped and have appeared in all 6 castle parks. The Mark Twain has been on the chopping block before and left to rot in Paris. Storybook land I’d be terribly sad but they wouldn’t blink at utilizing it differently.

The Tiki room I think has swung back into good graces. Matterhorn always worries me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster

Its funny Fresh Baked had a video on this last week.

I would agree that Disney feels those as sacred. I don't think they consider them completely untouchable, except maybe the train. But they are considered sacred to the point they take great care with them. I would add the Carousel to that given that Lillian's favorite was Jingles.

To come back to TL, I don't think Disney considers any of it sacred at this point. SM is the exception just because its popular, but if push comes to shove they'd axe it right along with everything else in TL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
A Disneyland without Autopua and the Sub lagoon is kind of terrifying. One needs to be updated and the other reimagined. No reheated clones from other parks.
Well in my mind they would keep the lagoon itself but just remove the Subs. The rumor is its too expensive to run the Subs in any form which is why they want to get rid of it. Autopia would be cool if it didn't take up so much land and it was electric. But it has nothing to do with the future, its really a Todayland or Yesterdayland attraction. So I rather if they are going to keep the TL theme that if a driving attraction is part of it then they do something more futuristic than cars with glorified lawnmower engines.

mickEblu

Sorry I should have clarified. Those are the only things that I thinks Disney considers sacred cows, not me/us. At one point or another a lot of what you list has been on a list of replaceable.

But ya the teacups Id agree there is no reason for them to be chopped and have appeared in all 6 castle parks. The Mark Twain has been on the chopping block before and left to rot in Paris. Storybook land I’d be terribly sad but they wouldn’t blink at utilizing it differently.

The Tiki room I think has swung back into good graces. Matterhorn always worries me.

Gotcha. Ya I guess kind of went back in forth in my sacred cow post between what I thought is sacred and what Disney thinks is sacred. I agree that they may use Storybookland for expansion in the future although I think “wouldn’t blink” is a little extreme and it would be really foolish on their part.

The Matterhorn worries you? Do you mean them rebuilding it or a new track, giving it a Frozen overlay, or demoing it completely? I can’t see the latter ever happening.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

Well in my mind they would keep the lagoon itself but just remove the Subs.
The lagoon and tunnels would be the basement of the new Tron ride. Tron already takes a huge building. What if the size is disguised below grade? Then they can add new attractions on top including Frozen and Astro Orbitor. There are many possibilities with the space available.

BrianLo

Gotcha. Ya I guess kind of went back in forth in my sacred cow post between what I thought is sacred and what Disney thinks is sacred. I agree that they may use Storybookland for expansion in the future although I think “wouldn’t blink” is a little extreme would be really foolish on their part.

The Matterhorn worries you? Do you mean them rebuilding it or a new track, giving it a Frozen overlay, or demoing it completely? I can’t see the latter ever happening.

Hopefully not a complete demo, but it will really need to be re-tracked soon. Realistically there are many many things that will never actually disappear in our lifetime. Modified, probably.

Put another way, if attraction x burned to the ground would Disney actually rebuild it, or something in a reasonably similar vein?

I don't know if they'd rebuild the Matterhorn if that happened.

Frozen... hopefully they feel like Frozen deserves more than an overlay at this point. I'm not opposed though about a mini Frozen extension in the Matterhorn's shadow

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I disagree. I would say there is a lot more than 5 that are sacred but the top 2 are pirates and mansion. they should never be taken down or replaced

Ismael Flores

Over in the Florida forums, the MK Tron discussion veered into Disneyland territory. @marni1971 said Tron most likely would be in the Subs/Autopia space and NOT the Innoventions / Launch Bay space if he recalled correctly. Apparently something else is in mind for Launch Bay.

If this is the case, I wonder how far out the exterior track would reach? Just wrap around what was once the lagoon (might still be a lagoon)? Wrap further around the Buzz area? Wrap around the Buzz and Star Tours areas and cut in front of Space Mt? Wrap around the whole land!?

starting to sound like what i kind of guessed before. large show building partially buried where the subs and autopia is. a rebuilt southern side of tomorrowland where innoventions is which can easily have an elevated walkway and potential pad for the rockets
here is a quick somewhat cleaned up version of the above.

The red indicates the new monorail layout. I also changed the supposedly new layout for the monorail if the eastern gateway gets approved and the tracks are changed.

Something like this wouldn't be too bad and they would be able to keep a portion of the water feature from the submarine depending on how the entrance to the show building is handled. I doubt that would be the caseView attachment 370108

mickEblu

starting to sound like what i kind of guessed before. large show building partially buried where the subs and autopia is. a rebuilt southern side of tomorrowland where innoventions is which can easily have an elevated walkway and potential pad for the rockets

I sometimes have a hard time imaging some of these things. Why is it so hard for me to imagine a Tron show building so close to the Matterhorn? How can they make it work without looking weird and cluttered?

Granted they can have the show building kind of act as a berm to Harbor blvd but it’s just hard for me to imagine because from what I understand the show building is supposed to be massive. Not that they couldn’t have a truncated version for DL but that would kind of defeat the point of this kind of coaster.

mickEblu

Hopefully not a complete demo, but it will really need to be re-tracked soon. Realistically there are many many things that will never actually disappear in our lifetime. Modified, probably.

Put another way, if attraction x burned to the ground would Disney actually rebuild it, or something in a reasonably similar vein?

I don't know if they'd rebuild the Matterhorn if that happened.

Frozen... hopefully they feel like Frozen deserves more than an overlay at this point. I'm not opposed though about a mini Frozen extension in the Matterhorn's shadow

I think if the Matterhorn burned to the ground they would definitely rebuild it.

Yeah I’m not putting a lot of stock into the Frozen Matterhorn overlay unless they ve really lost their damn minds... and they decide to slow those bobsleds down to a crawl for kids. Not sure if that alone would bring the height restriction down?

GrizzlyAdams

From what I’ve heard, Tron is a noticeably short ride. So taking up as much space as it does for DL seems like a waste of space. I also agree that Tron should be all indoors, but that makes it kinda redundant with SM

truecoat

From what I’ve heard, Tron is a noticeably short ride. So taking up as much space as it does for DL seems like a waste of space. I also agree that Tron should be all indoors, but that makes it kinda redundant with SM

It has about a thousand feet of track more than BTMR but less ride time due to the launch and higher speeds.

britain

I wonder if the Disneyland version of Tron could be a bit more at 50% exterior 50% interior? Because it seems like part of the desire to put the ride in this park would be to build Rocket Rods right.

It’s even possible that while the new building in the sub lagoon would be used for load and unload, queue and launch, a few of the dark interior game grid portions of the ride could be inside buzz, star tours, space mountain, etc., if the track is roughly following the people mover route.

Not only would this differentiate the ride from Space Mountain more, but it would in a way be paying homage to the original designs of space mountain with a lot of exterior track for the coaster!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom