Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

cmwade77

I guess so since you conveniently chose to leave out the number of cases per million, which is the second highest in the US. :rolleyes:
Actually, it isn't, as pointed out, we are closer to the bottom.....but also, number of cases per million don't really matter, what matters is the number of deaths per 100,000 people, which is 1.5, not per day, but since the beginning of this. Yes, is stinks to be one of those 1.5, but more people than that normally die every day.

Mac Tonight

One thing that I don't see ever brought up amidst all the numbers that get thrown out to scare us, is the recovered cases %. Why is that?

Number of cases per million? Big Scary Number constantly flashed at us.
Number of Deaths per 100,000? Big Scary Number constantly flashed at us.

Percentage of Recovered Cases? ... *cricket chirps*

Now yes, I'm sure the data is available somewhere, but it is almost never brought up as part of the discussion. It goes without saying, but what the heck, I'll say it anyways... testing positive for Covid is not a death sentence. Now, this is not to trivialize the people that have died from this, I promise, but I'm just getting a little tired of the BOOGEYMAN NUMBERS that seem to dominate these discussions, as though they are the only thing that matters.

SoCalMort

So again I ask... Why are we bagging on Florida? They seem to be managing this much better than several other big states, and are nearly matched with California in death rates.

Not sure that is a comparison you want to make because Cali has twice the population of FL.....

Also, trends are obviously going down in the NE states while FL has done nothing but spike since reopening. I wouldn't call that good management.

TP2000

One thing that I don't see ever brought up amidst all the numbers that get thrown out to scare us, is the recovered cases %. Why is that?

Number of cases per million? Big Scary Number constantly flashed at us.
Number of Deaths per 100,000? Big Scary Number constantly flashed at us.

Percentage of Recovered Cases? ... *cricket chirps*

Now yes, I'm sure the data is available somewhere, but it is almost never brought up as part of the discussion. It goes without saying, but what the heck, I'll say it anyways... testing positive for Covid is not a death sentence. Now, this is not to trivialize the people that have died from this, I promise, but I'm just getting a little tired of the BOOGEYMAN NUMBERS that seem to dominate these discussions, as though they are the only thing that matters.

That stuff is out there, but it's not as easily tracked as the Big Scary Death Numbers that the media scrolls along the bottom of our TV screens every evening.

For Orange County, it's available on their Covid dashboard thing. As of today those numbers are...

Cumulative OC Cases To Date = 52,382
Recovered OC Cases To Date = 47,197

That's a total of 5,185 active cases in Orange County right now. With about 3.2 Million people in Orange County, that represents 0.16% of OC's population.

805,000 Covid tests have been completed in OC as of today, and about 7,000 tests are being done daily in OC.

Disneyland is still closed.

Last edited:

SoCalMort

Here you go:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.36.27 PM.png

Mac Tonight

Here you go:

View attachment 499654

Thanks for posting that. Very fascinating. Look at the difference between Chile and France! Don't get Covid in France!

ToTBellHop

I think the Florida vs. New York thing is so interesting because they are closely matched in size of population; New York has 19.5 Million and Florida has 21.5 Million.

As of today, 33,138 New Yorkers have died with Covid, and 13,241 Floridians have died with Covid.

If New York had the same death rate as Florida, only about 12,000 New Yorkers would have died with Covid by now. But if Florida had the same death rate as New York, over 35,000 Floridians would already be dead with Covid.

So tell me why we are bagging on Florida again? I mean, I can make fun of the Sunshine State and how they operate Walt Disney World just as much as the next Disneyland fan, but Covid? There are lots of states with a far more deadly approach to that disease who saw a lot more of their citizens die with it.

And when you consider that Florida has an average age above the US average and notably higher than New York or California, and the vast majority of deaths from Covid are over age 65, that says quite a bit. 80% of Covid related deaths have been over age 65 in the United States. 80%!!

Average Age of Florida Resident = 42.2
Average Age of United States Resident = 38.2
Average Age of New York Resident = 39.0
Average Age of California Resident = 36.8

That comparison is terribly unfair. NYC was struck very early in the pandemic, before we had any idea how to treat it and before masks. Other states have benefited greatly from errors (unknowingly) made in NYC in April. If any state today had death rates similar to any place that saw its peak in the Spring, something very wrong would be going on.

Why do people still rag on New York? New York took the worst situation in the country and has now sat around 1% positivity for a while. They’ve managed this pandemic better than most.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That comparison is terribly unfair. NYC was struck very early in the pandemic, before we had any idea how to treat it and before masks. Other states have benefited greatly from errors (unknowingly) made in NYC in April. If any state today had death rates similar to any place that saw its peak in the Spring, something very wrong would be going on.

Why do people still rag on New York? New York took the worst situation in the country and has now sat around 1% positivity for a while. They’ve managed this pandemic better than most.

And so many states didn't learn from NY area mistakes. That had low numbers thanks to being more spread out and they let their guard down. They had two more months than NY did to prepare and they blew it.

1600819241836.png

TP2000

Orange County continues to lead the way! From the article...

Local officials said Tuesday, Sept. 22, that Orange County has notched a week of meeting the criteria for the next less-restrictive tier of the state’s monitoring list, so if trends in coronavirus cases hold for another week the drop to the “moderate” risk tier, dubbed orange, should be official and more businesses and public sectors could reopen.

And many places already allowed to open would be cleared for more capacity indoors.

What's funny is how the Register pretends that all of these OC businesses are playing along. For weeks every dive bar in Orange County has been open by offering a hot dog and a bag of chips on their menu, which qualifies as a "meal" and allows them to reopen, even though they are still just a dive bar in a strip mall. Add in all the speakeasy barber shops and nail salons, etc., and the lengths business owners have gone to to evade Sacramento's wishes is comical. It helps that the Orange County Sherriff has repeatedly said he will not get his deputies involved with policing Covid issues, so there's absolutely no enforcement with any meaning in OC. 🤣

I'd always wondered what it must have been like during Prohibition to get into a speakeasy or serve illegal wine at your dinner party. This is absolutely what it must have been like. For medicinal purposes only, you understand. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Actually, it [number of cases per million] isn't, as pointed out, we are closer to the bottom.....

Are you talking about at this moment or overall? I'm talking about the state's overall (mis)management of the pandemic since it began.

Capture.JPG

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

but also, number of cases per million don't really matter, what matters is the number of deaths per 100,000 people, which is 1.5, not per day, but since the beginning of this. Yes, is stinks to be one of those 1.5, but more people than that normally die every day.

tenor.gif

TP2000

Are you talking about at this moment or overall? I'm talking about the state's overall (mis)management of the pandemic since it began.

View attachment 499679

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

tenor.gif

Disneyland is still closed. No announcement from Sacramento today.

But we seem to be conflating confirmed cases with deaths. Those are two separate things. Anyone who has gone to the hospital for one reason or another in the last 120 days has been tested for Covid. We've now completed over 100 Million Covid tests in this country.

But just because you test positive for Covid, that doesn't mean you are going to die. Many times, you get tested for Covid and test positive, but you don't even have symptoms. Later this week I'm headed back up to Orange County and will get tested again, just for fun, and to do my part to keep OC's testing rates high to keep them moving to the Orange Tier.

Get tested! It's free! And it's fun! (kind of) :D

All that said, the Covid lockdowns were supposed to keep people alive. To prevent deaths. The death rate is the most important statistic, isn't it? I've said this repeatedly, but the full story on Covid won't be written for another year or two. But the first few chapters are already written, and the statistics are quite clear.

Florida is going to need to triple its current death rate to get up to the levels of New York or New Jersey. But Florida's already lower death rates are declining, not rising.

States weren't locked down to prevent people from sneezing, they were locked down to prevent people from dying. Right?

1. New Jersey = 1,823 Covid Deaths Per 1 Million New Jerseyites
2. New York = 1,706 Covid Deaths Per 1 Million New Yorkers
3. Massachusetts = 1,343 Covid Deaths Per 1 Million Massachusettsans
16. Florida = 625 Covid Deaths Per 1 Million Floridians
26. California = 385 Covid Deaths Per 1 Million Californians

Last edited:

TP2000

I just don't understand why Florida is being held up as some inaccurate example of Worst Case Covid Scenario, when there are 15 states, and quite a few European countries, worse than Florida in death rates.

A few US states actually have death rates double or triple that of Florida. And everyone's old in Florida.

All of these Covid lockdowns and economic disaster wasn't to prevent people from sneezing or going to bed for a week with flu symptoms, it was to prevent people from dying. Right?

This is all about saving lives? New Jersey apparently sucks at that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElvisMickey

Why would you post anything so absolutely and completely untrue...

View attachment 499624

Phase 2 was to open bars and restaurants and gyms and theaters and amusement parks to 50%.

Florida's been trying for months to get their stats low enough to go to phase 3, which is virtually everything open completely.

If you look at your phase 1 graph, it shows exactly what I said. I said that cases have been declining, not deaths. Also, we (Florida) just reopened up our bars at 50% capacity last week. So we have been reopening more and more. There’s nothing untrue about my statement in the slightest. Anyway, the overall point to all of this is that the theme parks opening up have not caused a crazy increase in cases. Disneyland could, and should be open at this point. But you guys enjoy...I’m taking a vacation day from working from home and off on my short 20 mile drive to Universal for the day 😜

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Also why does it matter where a thread is located? Help me out here. Lol
14. Politcal and social issues discussion should take place only in the Politics and Social Issues forum. Any political posts outside of that board are likely to be deleted without warning.

mickEblu

14. Politcal and social issues discussion should take place only in the Politics and Social Issues forum. Any political posts outside of that board are likely to be deleted without warning.

No that’s not what I’m saying. My question was why any users care where a particular thread is located as long as it is not locked? Many times I read a user warn “the thread will be moved” and I wonder why it matters to anyone whether an active discussion is taking place in the Disneyland forum or the Politics forum. Either one is a click away.

The Mom

Premium Member
No that’s not what I’m saying. My question was why any users care where a particular thread is located as long as it is not locked? Many times I read a user warn “the thread will be moved” and I wonder why it matters to anyone whether an active discussion is taking place in the Disneyland forum or the Politics forum. Either one is a click away.

A poster has to have a certain number of posts to post in the Political Forum. And there are many posters who only post in specific sub forums, so they are concerned that they will overlook a thread if it is moved. There are many posters who do not venture out of their comfort zone - there are certain posters that have only posted in the Imagineering section, for example. Or the DL group - who used to stay under my radar. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom