News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

BrianLo

I think this looks like an actual positive project for once.

Ya the exterior paint job kind of sucks, but exterior colour choices in Disney Parks aren't a 25 year commitment, fortunately.

I really want them to do Toad and Pinocchio.

PiratesMansion

I think this looks like an actual positive project for once.

Ya the exterior paint job kind of sucks, but exterior colour choices in Disney Parks aren't a 25 year commitment, fortunately.

I really want them to do Toad and Pinocchio.
They can do whatever they want to Pinocchio as far as I'm concerned.

I don't trust them to touch Toad. They must preserve my beloved plywood cutouts and hell ending scene!

Okee68

I'm too optimistic that it would all stay and just be spruced up, repainted, some projection effects. More of an Alice.

BUT optimism is not reality. :)
They actually did add a seemingly random projected mist effect in front of the shepherd and stone bridge a few years ago. I have no idea why it was put there, but it looks very good and not out of place at all.
I still fully expect them to change Mr. Toad's ending, or get rid of it entirely, at some point. What with them being on a PC kick and everything.
I'm sure even Disney has limits as to how severely they'll allow themselves to defile their old attractions. Mr. Toad's hell scene has been iconic since the day the park opened, and most of the little collectables based on the ride even use the miniature devils as key iconography. I can't help but feel that even the most cynical, statistics-obsessed executive would feel a little bit soulless removing the brilliant ending scene of an opening day attraction thought up by the original Imagineers and replacing it with some inoffensive, vapid garbage just because the scene could possibly scare a few literal toddlers here and there. There isn't even anything "politically incorrect" about Toad's hell scene either; it's a tongue-in-cheek pastiche of the Christian hell. There isn't a single offensive thing about it.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Technically during the 80's refurb they did make Hell a bit more "PC" by adding elements (like the devil version of the judge and the Green Dragon like the Green Dragon Inn seen earlier in the village) to suggest that it was just a dream which as far as I'm aware was completely absent in the pre-'83 versions of the ride.

It's not obvious at all, but the subtext is there.

Brer Panther

I'm sure even Disney has limits as to how severely they'll allow themselves to defile their old attractions. Mr. Toad's hell scene has been iconic since the day the park opened, and most of the little collectables based on the ride even use the miniature devils as key iconography. I can't help but feel that even the most cynical, statistics-obsessed executive would feel a little bit soulless removing the brilliant ending scene of an opening day attraction thought up by the original Imagineers and replacing it with some inoffensive, vapid garbage just because the scene could possibly scare a few literal toddlers here and there. There isn't even anything "politically incorrect" about Toad's hell scene either; it's a tongue-in-cheek pastiche of the Christian hell. There isn't a single offensive thing about it.
You never know. You just never know.

Also, isn't "hell" considered a curse word? That alone would likely make the guys obsessed with making Disneyland "PC" want to change it.

PiratesMansion

You never know. You just never know.

Also, isn't "hell" considered a curse word? That alone would likely make the guys obsessed with making Disneyland "PC" want to change it.
No one's "obsessed" with making Disneyland PC. Anyone thinking that is profoundly misreading these boards or getting all their news from Twitter. If anyone is genuinely interested in that I suspect they're cubicle drones from inside Disney's own offices.

If you're talking about the place, hell's not a curse word. It's only bad in other contexts.

Although undoubtedly there are people at Disney who are uncomfortable with that scene still being there, which is why I'd rather they just not touch Toad at all.

TP2000

I still fully expect them to change Mr. Toad's ending, or get rid of it entirely, at some point. What with them being on a PC kick and everything.

I just really, really want them to try adding Warning Signage to some of these old rides, like they've now done to the Muppet Show.

Honestly, we already have to pass by endless signs reminding us that simply visiting Disneyland will kill us, so why not just throw in the towel and put up a big sign stating Mr. Toad is Officially Offensive?

5bdb5d05d31d4.image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom