News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

PiratesMansion

Hans Conried was still around back then, wasn't he? Was he just unavailable that day? And would it really be too expensive to ask Corey Burton to come in and re-record Hook's dialogue for the ride?
While I have nothing to source this on, I feel like they just didn't care if the voices matched. Voice acting was probably a distant priority when they were putting these things together. If the rides themselves are more freeform compared to the movie and didn't insist on strict faithfulness to its source text, why extend fidelity to voice acting?

Perhaps chintzy from today's perspective, but it just wasn't deemed important then.

Also, MUCH easier to get away with when the public could only catch a Disney picture every seven years.

Sharon&Susan

I mean, the Shanghai Pan is hands down the best of all of them. And the music is a huge part of that. The pirate shanty in the 2nd half of the other versions is bad.
The pirate shanty is far from my favorite piece of music in Flight, but I think it fits the Pirate ship scene more than the dramatic piece in Shanghai which tries to add in a mood of urgency... in a scene full of (mostly) still figures and Captain Hook being portrayed as an idiot who stands no chance compared to Peter. The use of "Never Smile at a Crocodile" is good though.

That moment the window opens with that buildup in the chorus to "You Can Fly" is one of the most memorable uses of music in the park. Which is really undercut in the Shanghai by using a version with 0 buildup and sounds like it belongs in the finale.
Hans Conried was still around back then, wasn't he? Was he just unavailable that day? And would it really be too expensive to ask Corey Burton to come in and re-record Hook's dialogue for the ride?
Magic Kingdom may've reused the audio track from pre-'83 Disneyland version. Here's Disneyland USA with an identically wrong sounding Captain Hook and Smee:

There was only one scene of Captain Hook in the original version, so either A) They got a new actor who sounded similarly/ got the guy back to record some new audio or B) it was recorded back in the 50's but never used until they worked on the MK (which is what I personally believe considering how the rides were designed around the already laid out track layout and that Snow White received massive changes just a year before opening so I can believe the same was true for Peter Pan)

Professortango1

The pirate shanty is far from my favorite piece of music in Flight, but I think it fits the Pirate ship scene more than the dramatic piece in Shanghai which tries to add in a mood of urgency... in a scene full of (mostly) still figures and Captain Hook being portrayed as an idiot who stands no chance compared to Peter. The use of "Never Smile at a Crocodile" is good though.

That moment the window opens with that buildup in the chorus to "You Can Fly" is one of the most memorable uses of music in the park. Which is really undercut in the Shanghai by using a version with 0 buildup and sounds like it belongs in the finale.

Magic Kingdom may've reused the audio track from pre-'83 Disneyland version. Here's Disneyland USA with an identically wrong sounding Captain Hook and Smee:

There was only one scene of Captain Hook in the original version, so either A) They got a new actor who sounded similarly/ got the guy back to record some new audio or B) it was recorded back in the 50's but never used until they worked on the MK (which is what I personally believe considering how the rides were designed around the already laid out track layout and that Snow White received massive changes just a year before opening so I can believe the same was true for Peter Pan)

The shanty is passive, pleasant, and like a commercial jingle. It makes the end seem more lifeless and dull than it already is. At least the music in Shanghai elevates the mood and compliments to animated Hook. Its my favourite Pan by far with DLR next and WDW just shortly after. I don't know the other parks well enough to judge theirs.

Sharon&Susan

The shanty is passive, pleasant, and like a commercial jingle. It makes the end seem more lifeless and dull than it already is. At least the music in Shanghai elevates the mood and compliments to animated Hook. Its my favourite Pan by far with DLR next and WDW just shortly after. I don't know the other parks well enough to judge theirs.
Fair enough.

Brer Panther

Other versions of the ride use multiple songs as part of the score? The Magic Kingdom's version is just an instrumental of "You Can Fly" throughout. Which I personally think works fine.

Sharon&Susan

Other versions of the ride use multiple songs as part of the score? The Magic Kingdom's version is just an instrumental of "You Can Fly" throughout. Which I personally think works fine.
Disneyland uses Peter's theme, You Can Fly, and A Pirates Life. Shanghai adds in Following the Leader along with a few new incidental pieces there while removing A Pirates Life.

George Lucas on a Bench

I was forwarded this link of the refurbishment of the Parisian Snow White ride, which appears to actually be enhanced rather than ruined. Looks like Disneyland California got the crappy version.

Okee68

I was forwarded this link of the refurbishment of the Parisian Snow White ride, which appears to actually be enhanced rather than ruined. Looks like Disneyland California got the crappy version.
I applaud those Paris lads. Leave it to the European Imagineers to actually enhance an old attraction rather than completely removing nearly everything that made it enjoyable in the first place because, "it 2 spooky for babby and no scary belong in fantasyland". I hope they also fix the utterly possessed movements of some of the animated figures in the Paris ride, although that page makes it seem as though they're just making the lighting more atmospheric.

Last edited:

Okee68

A while ago I wrote a detailed description of my theoretical "best Snow White dark ride", which, in order to retain all of the classic "scary" scenes, totally lacks the character of Snow White herself and is sold appropriately, with the title "Escape From the Wicked Witch" and a grim dungeon serving as its queue area. This is only tangentially on-topic, so I'll post these screenshots of the text rather than pasting it.

Attachments

• 1a.png
    1a.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 1b.png
    1b.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1c.png
    1c.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 1d.png
    1d.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1e.png
    1e.png
    84 KB · Views: 90

J4546

so many people were talking negatively about this when it was announced haha, but it seems like a great refurb to me! Makes me hopeful about the splash mountain retheme

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom