• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Stevek

And Me Too isn’t the only anti-sexual assault movement that’s occurred. It’s one of many (I also briefly touch on this in my thesis lol). Take Back the Night started in the 70s and is ongoing.

People tend to think that current trends in society are new, but they rarely are. Things like consent, race, censorship, sexual assault, etc. have ALWAYS been hot topics and things of concern. The idea of “cancel culture,” has been a thing for eons (it just has a different name). Same with political correctness. People have been talking about how folks find the bad in everything nowadays. A psychologist back in the 50s named Frederic Wertham wrote a book about the dangers of reading comics and how they somehow cause delinquency and homosexuality. People today would probably agree that his take was far-fetched, but once again, it’s an example of people looking at things and critiquing them.

None of this is new. Things get recycled over time, all the time.
Recycled and due to social media and more outlets now, amplified far more than before.

el_super

...they will go right back to the me too issue and only then will the few naysayers about this say "absolutely the ride is an issue and should be removed/changed" instead of currently ignoring it as "winged junk".

What's wrong with acknowledging that something should be changed when enough voices speak up against it? Isn't that essentially how democracy works? I haven't seen anyone here advocate for removing the ride, or the scene, right now, but doesn't it stand to reason that if this becomes a wider topic, it should be considered?

raven24

Recycled and due to social media and more outlets now, amplified far more than before.
Yes, I was meaning to mention social media. Social media has a lot to do with why some of us feel like the things happening around us are new. Everything is recorded and documented much quicker now and it's constantly in our faces.

el_super

I’m glad you understand cancellation is real.

Did I ever imply otherwise? Society has the right to dictate what is and isn't acceptable within society.

And yet still, the only calls for cancellation in this thread are those calling for the discussions to stop.

CaptinEO

It a constant trope to blame the reaction on Fox News when many news media reported on it. The reaction is now politicized into liberal and conservative when it’s much more. Cancel culture and Woke are applied even more on Liberal and Progressive adherents.

For an article to say it’s a fairy tale and not a life lesson, it could have ended there, but many here are constantly saying Snow White is an example of consent when it isn’t.

This is a snow ball and avalanche on the cultural wars. Nothing on Disney is safe from cancellation. That’s what you call it if they want Ideas to be expunged. As if you don’t know, a kiss can be permissible when there’s no explicit consent.
Thank you, this sums up the entire situation incredibly well.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
You people are exhausting.

The only reason any of this conversation is happening is because of how the SFGate article was reported on by other sources, not the initial article itself. That's the crux of it.

Can you imagine if we could actually get back to talking about the new ride itself? Instead of wallowing for 5 days and 20 pages in a manufactured controversy?

Stevek

The only reason any of this conversation is happening is because of how the SFGate article was reported on by other sources, not the initial article itself. That's the crux of it.

Can you imagine if we could actually get back to talking about the new ride itself? Instead of wallowing for 5 days and 20 pages in a manufactured controversy?
Some of us have been discussing the article itself and our position on it...that obviously progressed into where we are now.

yensidtlaw1969

In the Parks
No
Some of us have been discussing the article itself and our position on it...that obviously progressed into where we are now.
I know, I was part of that - the progression is what has been exhausting.

I said it before and I'll say it again, some people are just so committed to tripping over daisies. It's unfortunate that it clogs up the thread for everyone else.

MisterPenguin

Fully Pfizered!
Premium Member
Disney is a woke company.

But, Disney doubled down on the prince's kiss.

C͖̜͗̅ǒ̺̼̣͍̿g͕̹̩̣̟̤͈̽̔ͭͫ͛ͮ́n̗̋̐̿ͧí͕̯̭ť̙̝̽̓͡i̐҉̻̮̫̙͙͈v̪̤ͤ̈́͘e̯͙͍͚ͅ ͉̞̣̙̜͇̾d̘̻̣̲̖͋ͮ͋ͭ͌i̩͖̺͈͓ͭ͆̈́ͯ͆͟s̹̱̱̺͚ͥ̓̇͌̀ͭṡ̵̭͈̲͙̬̹̖͂͗o̞̫̝͔ͩͯ̕ṉ̦̿͌̐̊ͭ̃́aͮ̀͌̀͛ͮn͉̭̦̦͙͚̂͆̉ċ̟̣͎̎̔͆ͪ̄ͩe͉̞͚̠̳ͨ̊͋̌͑̐!͍͚͉̹̇ͬ̉̊͌͂͝!̮͙̜͍̙̭͈!̺̽ͯ̚!͕͎̫̘͛̒̒͌ͥ̒!͓͓͈͕͔̟̣ͯ̓ͪ͒ͤ̋͜

Homemade Imagineering

This this this this this this this this 1 billion times more. It’s time to move on from this.

DanielBB8

Where are links to the reporting on the article by other sources to have this separate discussion that never happened?

I would prefer people to not mischaracterize the discussion so far. Maybe discuss the ride if you’re still interested.

RunningKoen

Where are links to the reporting on the article by other sources to have this separate discussion that never happened?

I would prefer people to not mischaracterize the discussion so far. Maybe discuss the ride if you’re still interested.
I found three ones within a minute, all outside of the usa. Everyone mentions the article.
It (re)started the discussion, no doubt about that.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/buitenland/artikel/5228911/sneeuwwitje-van-disney-cancel-culture (Dutch)

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/195...sen-kan-niet-meer-verkeerde-les-voor-kinderen (Dutch)

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2021/05/06/sneeuwwitje-en-de-controversiele-kus/ ( Belgian)

DanielBB8

Yes, we are ready to start over discussing the other sources to get back on track. Then we can discuss the ride 20 pages later.

RunningKoen

Yes, we are ready to start over discussing the other sources to get back on track. Then we can discuss the ride 20 pages later.
You asked for sources. Three post back. Not gonna quote your own post again.

Edit: it's surreal to assume that this topic will be just an discussion about the ride only in the current situation. The entire consent and/or cancel culture elements are (slightly) linked to the new ride. So it will pop up.

DanielBB8

You asked for sources. Three post back. Not gonna quote your own post again.

Edit: it's surreal to assume that this topic will be just an discussion about the ride only in the current situation. The entire consent and/or cancel culture elements are (slightly) linked to the new ride. So it will pop up.
But those outside sources were not utilized in the discussion with extensive quotations, thus the discussion became its own feedback loop. Heck, the original article wasn’t even read by the posters carefully. So we should absolutely have a do over. Or maybe not, but I’ll leave it here for consideration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom