News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

britain

I read the article. I re-read the consent parts twice, because I was laughing out loud at it and enjoying a Cognac. 🤣

What is the hourly workload I must agree to be here to satisfy my posting requirements? I've been very busy the past week or two and haven't checked in here for several days. I also have a lot of social/travel engagements planned through mid June. Do I need to run that schedule by you for approval before I post again?

Once again, I read the article before I commented on it. I also linked to it in my post in case anyone wanted to also read it, just cause I'm friendly like that. And more importantly, the article speaks for itself and is hilariously pompous and bizarre. Like this little sentence from the author...

"Haven't we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn't been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK?"

Huh? What planet is she living on? And who the heck is "we" that have allegedly all decided en masse that "consent in early Disney movies is a major issue". I don't remember voting on that ever, and I've been online for decades.

I assume the "we" she refers to are her stylish readers who know they are very, very good people and much better at being humans than the people who shop at WalMart or vote differently than her. But still, that's a pretty broad swipe at defining a "we" in her article.

The SFGate author is a caricature of a crazy San Francisco liberal railing at pretty girls who get kissed by hot guys. 🤣

Good one! Isn't it amazing how people now think old literature and art should be edited for their modern viewing pleasure?

It's fascinating to watch those on the far left become so enamored of censorship, banning books, sanitizing history, tearing down murals and art, re-writing literature and reframing thoughts, etc. They used to be against all that stuff in the 1960's, but times sure have changed. A refurbished C Ticket at Disneyland isn't even safe.

One of my favorite 1960's movies is Fahrenheit 451. I remember owning it on VHS in the 1980's and thinking "How silly, that could never happen in America!". Suddenly, 40 years later.... well, here we are. Railing against a princess getting kissed in a fairytale. :rolleyes:
So, being a generally conservative guy (albeit one whose wife thinks is a crazy lefty for voting Biden) I still have to ask, hypothetically, what is wrong with society censoring culture as long as government doesn’t? I don’t think Fahrenheit 451 quite applies here.

KIGhostGuy

Interestingly, the film explicitly tells us she's alive while under the "Sleeping Death." The queen intends to kill her, but it's not the poison apple that does it. She's counting on the dwarfs to mistake her for dead, and "She'll be buried alive!"

BURIEEEDDDDD ALLLLIIIIIVVE

Is this scene before or after Snow White explodes into a million pieces while under a bridge? 😜

The Aracuan Bird

So, being a generally conservative guy (albeit one whose wife thinks is a crazy lefty for voting Biden) I still have to ask, hypothetically, what is wrong with society censoring culture as long as government doesn’t? I don’t think Fahrenheit 451 quite applies here.
It doesn’t fit the apocalyptic world many claim we are heading to, but I don’t think it really benefits anyone. For the people that want things censored, they already know not to follow the example set by problematic content. For those that like what is being censored, they will just become emotionally charged and angry that you are taking their stuff.

It’s the children that matter, but if you censor or take away, they are just going to learn from their parents, which could be skewed in a way that is either morally correct or incorrect to society depending on the parent. Better to put disclaimers on the problems so that they can be used as teaching moments.

George Lucas on a Bench

Is this scene before or after Snow White explodes into a million pieces while under a bridge? 😜

willy-wonka-million-pieces-300x170.jpg

She's up there! In a million pieces!

DanielBB8

Well, it’s the slippery slope and government censorship is downstream from the cultural wars. And government representatives are asking for private corporations to do their bidding to censor political opponents. I can think of a few recent events.

owlsandcoffee

It's fascinating to watch those on the far left become so enamored of censorship, banning books, sanitizing history, tearing down murals and art, re-writing literature and reframing thoughts, etc. They used to be against all that stuff in the 1960's, but times sure have changed. A refurbished C Ticket at Disneyland isn't even safe.

One of my favorite 1960's movies is Fahrenheit 451. I remember owning it on VHS in the 1980's and thinking "How silly, that could never happen in America!". Suddenly, 40 years later.... well, here we are. Railing against a princess getting kissed in a fairytale.
I think it's important, if a bit pedantic, to mention that Fahrenheit 451 is far less about censorship and far more about the dumbing down of media. The book-burnings are less a metaphor for the destruction of ideas than for the destruction of a mode of imparting those ideas. I would argue that we already live in a world fairly similar to that of the book.

Also I think you misunderstand what constitutes far left. True self-identifying leftists (communists, marxist-leninists, etc.) tend to actually bristle a bit at stuff like this, in my observation. It's much more common with center-left and center-right democrats. Not sure a theme parks forum is the ideal place for that discussion though, haha.

Depends on the censorship. If a company changes something because the public doesn't like it, that's just the free market at work. If people are destroying things permanently, that's where I bristle. And I'm farther left than you are, guaranteed. I'd say at some point the line between society and government is nil. Ideally the gov't would just be an extension of society anyways.

TP2000

Except you don't know them. They are actual human beings. Your straw(wo)men are imaginary.

Their article they wrote about how "we" (Who is "we" exactly? That's almost as sloppy as blaming "they") have long known Disney's fairytales have a "major issue" with "consent" was real, not imaginary. They even included their names in the byline.

Think about it. It's an old fairytale, and Walt wasn't the only one to use it, although an argument can be made that he was the most successful at it. There's a cute little dark ride at Disneyland based on it. And these ladies are upset because Snow White gets gently kissed (closed-mouth, hands at sides, barely First Base) by a hot guy to wake her from a wicked spell of sleep at the end of the ride. Exit to your left.

Snow-White-kiss.jpg

Seriously. This is where we are in the 21st century. It's hysterically funny! 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

Many of these traditional tales have deep roots below and many branches above.

Yeah, I've read some of the Grimm's fairytales and such. They were pretty bleak and scary versions, and Walt did wonders cleaning them up and making them happier and shinier.

But that Sleeping Beauty take was a new one on me! I had no idea. And if Sleeping Beauty was actually impregnated in her sleep by the King like that, it doesn't really say much about the King, does it? ;)

TP2000

I'm generally a conservative guy, pro-Capitalism, except for a few social issues where I can be way out there in Left field.

I think what Fahrenheit 451 got right and wrong about the future is the fairly recent melding of private enterprise that controls means of communication, like Twitter and Facebook, censoring culture based on political leanings that pander to one specific side.

LBJ famously quipped that he knew he lost Vietnam when he lost Walter Cronkite. But the point to which the journalists of today (none of which even approach Cronkite's professionalism and intelligence) are willing to pander to, or openly fight against, whoever is the current holder of power in DC. That's something LBJ and Cronkite and Ray Bradbury never could have dreamed of.

Cronkite probably would hate the current media format, and LBJ would probably be very jealous of it.

Bradbury would say "Why didn't I think of that?!" 🧐

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Their article they wrote about how "we" (Who is "we" exactly? That's almost as sloppy as blaming "they") have long known Disney's fairytales have a "major issue" with "consent" was real, not imaginary. They even included their names in the byline.

That's the point: There is no "we" except a handful of kooks. There are no protesters outside the parks with signs. There's no petition at change.org. There's no hashtag movement.

There is no controversy.

Except the one ginned up by right wing media that claims there is, without showing any proof that "people" are upset except for to keep referring back to this crazy opinion piece.

This is now a right-wing straw-man in which they take the kookiest person of the opposing faction and paint the whole faction as embodying that kookiness.

As a left-wing lib, I denounce that stupid article and its author and its publisher.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Those who say there is, need to show proof other than one person's article and ""news"" outlets claiming it's controversial, who, in turn, aren't showing proof that any objections are widespread.

One editorial does not a movement make.

johnsmith1917

Of course the outrage is blown out of proportion for internet "clicks". But this has been an ongoing issues with Snow White. While teaching middle schooler's health topics in college, people always used Snow White as a negative example of consent. Furthermore, every year more and more fluffy articles have mentioned the "problematic aspect" of the story. It's just really a few articles now, but there is a growing movement of people hyper-analyzing Disney films. When they renovate Peter Pan again, this time all eyes will be on that attraction

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...-some-real-concerns-about-snow-white-consent/

https://www.insider.com/moments-the...iss-occurs-at-the-climax-of-sleeping-beauty-2

https://www.34st.com/article/2020/1...c-pixar-racism-2020-ignorance-sleeping-beauty

Stevek

Think about it. It's an old fairytale, and Walt wasn't the only one to use it, although an argument can be made that he was the most successful at it. There's a cute little dark ride at Disneyland based on it. And these ladies are upset because Snow White gets gently kissed (closed-mouth, hands at sides, barely First Base) by a hot guy to wake her from a wicked spell of sleep at the end of the ride. Exit to your left.

Snow-White-kiss.jpg

Seriously. This is where we are in the 21st century. It's hysterically funny! 🤣

Some here claimed the original article what much ado about nothing, that the call out about the kiss was just one minor piece of that article... and now we are here. All it takes is one spark. People really have nothing better to do than try to find fault in anything and everything. This over correction we are going through infuriates me at times...and I’m about as mild mannered as they come.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Some here claimed the original article what much ado about nothing, that the call out about the kiss was just one minor piece of that article... and now we are here. All it takes is one spark. People really have nothing better to do than try to find fault in anything and everything. This over correction we are going through infuriates me at times...and I’m about as mild mannered as they come.
The "spark" isn't a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches.

It's conservatives imagining there is a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches and retiring to their fainting couches over it.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Fake news.

Stevek

The "spark" isn't a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches.

It's conservatives imagining there is a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches and retiring to their fainting couches over it.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Fake news.
I don’t believe there is a movement but we’ve seen this type of thing before. An article gets picked up and people that never realized they were upset about “true loves kiss” (they never were) all of a sudden jump on the bandwagon. Hopefully this just fades away quickly.

CaptinEO

That's the point: There is no "we" except a handful of kooks. There are no protesters outside the parks with signs. There's no petition at change.org. There's no hashtag movement.

There is no controversy.

Except the one ginned up by right wing media that claims there is, without showing any proof that "people" are upset except for to keep referring back to this crazy opinion piece.

This is now a right-wing straw-man in which they take the kookiest person of the opposing faction and paint the whole faction as embodying that kookiness.

As a left-wing lib, I denounce that stupid article and its author and its publisher.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Those who say there is, need to show proof other than one person's article and ""news"" outlets claiming it's controversial, who, in turn, aren't showing proof that any objections are widespread.

One editorial does not a movement make.
Stop this wing talk please.

Some idiot journalist made up an issue and it naturally upset people. Nothing to do with politics or wings.

I don't think theres a political party attachment to every single thing in the world. This was made to upset Disney fans.

The lack of discussion about any other Disney film or ride shows as much, the writer saw the new thing at Disneyland and tried to create controversy out of it, knowing it would get them views.

I'm an independent and I don't call myself a "wing" cause I'm a human being.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom