News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

Travel Junkie

"More than 10,000 Orange County residents scheduled COVID-19 vaccination appointments at the Disneyland Resort center overnight through the Othena.com website. Thousands more registered into the Othena system to be notified when more appointments become available. The magnitude of users caused the site to buckle, Wednesday, with health officials promising to address "technical issues this large influx of visitors may have caused." As of noon, the Othena website appeared to be up and running once again."

Emmanuel

"More than 10,000 Orange County residents scheduled COVID-19 vaccination appointments at the Disneyland Resort center overnight through the Othena.com website. Thousands more registered into the Othena system to be notified when more appointments become available. The magnitude of users caused the site to buckle, Wednesday, with health officials promising to address "technical issues this large influx of visitors may have caused." As of noon, the Othena website appeared to be up and running once again."

Sounds like opening weekend for Rise Before Dawn

Stevek

FYI, California is just continuing to follow CDC guidelines, as the CDC changed their guidelines yesterday and California followed suit in allowing anyone 65 and older and those of any age with underlying health conditions that are more at risk of contributing to the spread of COVID.
So does this mean my daughter with asthma and other daughter with Type 1 diabetes could get vaccinated now? I still see them falling in 1C, sometime in Feb along with me as I'm in the 50-64 age range.

Darkbeer1

From the County of Orange:

In a vital step to help battle the spread of COVID-19, the County of Orange has established the first large Point-of-Dispensing (POD) site to provide COVID-19 vaccines to residents at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim.

“The Disneyland Resort, the largest employer in the heart of Orange County, has stepped up to host the county’s first Super POD site – undertaking a monumental task in our vaccination distribution process,” said acting Chairman Andrew Do, First District. “We truly appreciate the support of the Orange County Fire Authority, our cities, and our residents as we continue to rollout COVID-19 vaccinations throughout the county.”

Known as “Super POD” sites, the five regional Super PODs will have the capacity to vaccinate thousands of residents each day. The Super PODs will increase efficiency and provide multiple vaccine distribution points throughout Orange County. The County will announce additional Super POD sites as agreements are finalized.

“I’m proud to have Disneyland Resorts and the City of Anaheim, both in my Fourth District, be the first of the Super POD sites in Orange County,” said Supervisor Doug Chaffee. “Residents in my district have been highly impacted by COVID-19. These Super PODs are absolutely critical in stopping this deadly virus.”

Vaccine distribution is managed through a phased, tiered approach established by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). Currently, vaccinations are available to Orange County residents and those who work in Orange County who meet the criteria for what is referred to as “Phase 1a, all tiers.” This group includes law enforcement first responders in high-risk communities and was recently expanded to include those age 65 and older. We are excited to serve this group as a priority population. The County is working in collaboration with community partners to create a process that reaches seniors close to home and best serves these individuals.
Please refer to these CDPH links for a complete list of eligible groups:

• https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/CDPH-Allocation-Guidelinesfor-COVID-19-Vaccine-During-Phase-1A-Recommendations.aspx

https://covid19.ca.gov/essential-workforce/

“It’s important to vaccinate as many willing people as possible for COVID-19, and we need the space to do it,” said Supervisor Donald P. Wagner, Third District. “I thank Disneyland Resort and the City of Anaheim for stepping up in the shared effort to give OC residents protection against the virus.”

The first Super POD at the Disneyland Resort will be operational later this week. Most of those eligible to be vaccinated in Phase 1a will be contacted through their employer to schedule an appointment via a third-party app developed in cooperation with the County of Orange.

“In order to ensure a smooth and effective distribution of the vaccine as quickly as possible, it is so important that Orange County residents have the information they need on who, and when, they are eligible to receive the vaccine, and where they can go to receive it,” said Supervisor Lisa Bartlett, Fifth District. “We will have several sites across the county, including South County, and information on these locations will be available shortly. Please stay tuned to https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/covid-19-vaccination-distribution for the latest information on vaccine distribution sites. In the meantime, please remain vigilant and protect you and your loved ones by practicing social distancing, good hygiene and wearing your masks.”

Only those identified under Phase 1a who have an appointment will receive a vaccination at the County’s new Super POD locations. Individuals with appointments must provide identification and documentation of vaccine eligibility at the site. Walk-ups without an appointment cannot be accommodated. Given the limited initial supply of the COVID-19 vaccine, distribution will be limited at first and increased over time. The phased, tiered approach to vaccine distribution aims to reach critical populations to reduce morbidity and mortality rates due to the transmission of COVID-19.

“Coronavirus has brought both a public health crisis and economic devastation,” said Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu. “With this super site, we will begin to overcome both. Every vaccination done in Anaheim will help to save lives and speed the reopening and recovery of our city.”

Those interested in receiving the COVID-19 vaccine can view the phased tiers of eligibility and other important vaccination information at OC Health Care Agency’s website, www.COVIDVaccineFacts.com. The success of the vaccination distribution plan and the Super POD sites is dependent on everyone understanding where they fall in the phased, tiered plan. Individuals attempting to receive a vaccine ahead of schedule will overload the system, making it even more challenging to meet this urgent need. We appreciate the public’s patience and understanding.

The County, through its “Operation Independence,” established a goal of completing all county vaccinations by July 4, 2021. An Incident Management Team (IMT) was established on December 31, 2020, for Operation Independence. The Operation Independence IMT is a unified command with representatives from the Orange County Health Care Agency, the Orange County Fire Authority, the County of Orange County Executive Office (CEO) and other County agencies.

For questions related to COVID-19, visit http://www.ochealthinfo.com/novelcoronavirus, or follow the HCA on Facebook (@ochealthinfo) and Twitter (@ochealth).

lazyboy97o

So does this mean my daughter with asthma and other daughter with Type 1 diabetes could get vaccinated now? I still see them falling in 1C, sometime in Feb along with me as I'm in the 50-64 age range.
Probably not. Poor wording on the CDC’s part as they’re really only focused on those with deficient immune systems.

These are the conditions the CDC actually describes for group 1C.

Darkbeer1

I see nothing about "those of any age with underlying health conditions" in the revised rules in California, just age.

California's Covid vaccine rollout: what you need to know (msn.com)

>>

Who is eligible for the vaccine now?​

California is currently in the first phase of its vaccine rollout and focusing on “vaccinating the vaccinators,” according to Newsom. The 3 million estimated Californians eligible for the vaccine in this tier are healthcare workers and long-term care residents.

There are three tiers of within this phase, known as Phase1A, with healthcare workers at acute care hospitals, oncology centers, residential treatment facilities and psychiatric hospitals in tier 1. Public health field staff, urgent care workers and home healthcare workers fall under tier 2 while dental workers, Covid-19 testers and chiropractors fall under tier 3. Those 65 and older also qualify.

Newsom has also announced a new system to let people know if they are eligible to receive a vaccine, to start next week.

If residents are not yet eligible, the system will allow them to register for a text or email notification when they are.

When will the first group all be vaccinated?​

Health officials were estimating that everyone in Phase1A will have at least received their first dose of the vaccine by early February at the latest, but with Californians who are 65 and older now qualifying for a vaccine, the deadline will most likely be extended.

As with the rest of the country, Phase1A Californians began receiving vaccinations in mid-December.

Who’s next?​

Phase1B is for Californians at risk of exposure at work. This phase has two tiers: tier 1 is for those working in childcare, education, emergency services or food and agriculture, and tier 2 is for those working in critical manufacturing, transportation and logistics, or industrial, commercial, residential, and sheltering facilities and services.

Tier 2 also applies to those living in congregate settings with high risk of outbreak such as prisons or homeless shelters. Tens of thousands have tested positive in California’s overcrowded prisons, and homeless shelters across the state were forced to cut capacity to comply with social distancing.

Phase1B was expected to being in early February and finish by late March. Again, time tables will change with the new directives.

Will anybody else get vaccinated?​

Phase1C is the last group that the state has identified. This includes Californians between 50 and 64, and Californians between 16 and 49 with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk.

The Californians who can get vaccinated under Phase1C also those who risk exposure at work in water and water, defense, energy, chemical and hazardous materials, communications and IT, financial services or government and community-based operations.

This phase was expected to begin in late March and end in early May. Phase 2 – and when the vaccine will become available to any Californian – is still up in the air.<<

Stevek

Darkbeer1

Orange County looking for volunteers for mass COVID-19 vaccination sites – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>County officials are setting up massive COVID-19 vaccination sites and are looking for volunteers to help with the distribution effort.

The sites – called super points-of-dispensing or PODs – will be set up throughout the county and are expected to vaccinate thousands of residents daily. Disneyland was the first location announced Monday, and four more are expected and will need to be manned seven days a week, officials said.

Officials said they hope to pre-register volunteers who will help operate the sites. The county needs people who have medical training, but also those who can help with general assignments such as directing traffic, entering data into computers and registration.

When the question came up at Tuesday’s Orange County Board of Supervisors meeting about whether people could volunteer just to get early access to the vaccine, which is being rolled out in phases, Supervisor Lisa Bartlett said they were told those who sign up for at least four 10-hour shifts would be eligible for a dose.

“The idea is to give it to long-term volunteers,” Bartlett said.<<

D

Deleted member 107043

When the question came up at Tuesday’s Orange County Board of Supervisors meeting about whether people could volunteer just to get early access to the vaccine, which is being rolled out in phases, Supervisor Lisa Bartlett said they were told those who sign up for at least four 10-hour shifts would be eligible for a dose.

The greatest country in the world.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The one with diabetes might fall into group 1B depending on other conditions but more likely 1C, the other would fall into 1C.

Here is the list of medical conditions considered highest risk, you have to have two or more to fall into 1B:

Obesity
COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Diabetes
Heart disease
Chronic kidney disease

The state should have a website up next week that will allow you to check what group you fall into and sign up to receive an alert when you are eligible to get it. Your primary care physician should also have information on when you're eligible as well.

In the meantime here is a tracker you can use to see approximately when you become eligible to get it. Note it hasn't been updated yet with the 1C criteria so it may still say you're in Phase 2, but its a good overall indicator.

Overall I'm expecting most Californians who have underlying health conditions no matter what age to get it sometime between March and May, dependent on supply of course.

TP2000

The greatest country in the world.

You can't let 30 year olds jump the line just because they volunteer to help park cars and shuffle clipboards at the vaccine supersites.

I don't even think that 40 hours of volunteering is appropriate to jump to the front of the line; if you are healthy enough to work 40 hours a week and have no other job or responsibilities, yet you don't meet the requirements for Phase 1A or Phase 1B, then why are you taking vaccines away from those who need it most in Phase 1?

Want to volunteer 40 hours a week to help your community? Great! Here's an "I'm A Good Person" button instead of a Covid shot.

Covid kills old people, so the old people need to go first. Not youngsters who want to volunteer for a few hours to jump to the front of the line.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

You can't let 30 year olds jump the line just because they volunteer to help park cars and shuffle clipboards at the vaccine supersites.
Of course you would say this

40 hours of unpaid community service for a single dose of the vaccine is rediculous. We need to do better.

TP2000

Speaking of that, some disturbing news from the vaccine front for OC is the demographic breakdown of who has been getting the vaccine first. I realize that frontline healthcare workers needed to go first, as they should, but these demographic stats need to reverse themselves quickly in the next week. Here who has gotten the vaccine first in Orange County among the 56,000 doses given so far...

Age 65 And Older = 8% of Doses
Age 55 to 64 = 18% of Doses
Age 45 to 54 = 25% of Doses
Age 35 to 44 = 25% of Doses
Age 25 to 34 = 21% of Doses
Age 18 to 24 = 3% of Doses

Yikes! Double Yikes! I realize all those middle aged and younger folks are the hospital workers, but they are so far completely leaving out the people this virus kills. That needs to turn around quickly!

Also, the gender demographic is almost opposite of who the virus kills. 60% of vaccines went to women, and 40% of vaccines went to men. But that's about opposite of who Covid kills, as men make up about 60% of the deaths. It's assumed that's because old men have led a more strenuous/dangerous life and have more lung damage by the time they are in their 60's and older.

TP2000

40 hours of unpaid community service for a single dose of the vaccine is rediculous. We need to do better.

Every American will get the vaccine for free. In the first weeks of the vaccine distribution, I don't think a 30 year old should jump the line and take a dose away from an old person. Or take it away from a nurse or doctor.

Now, two months from now, maybe when the Disneyland supersite is walk-ups and vaccines are being given out at every CVS and Dentist's office in America? Sure, a young person in Phase 3 can jump ahead to Phase 2 and cut the line for doing community service. Although I'm not sure that's what the spirit of volunteerism is all about, but that's another topic.

But right now, on the second day of operating the Vaccine Supersite? That's ridiculous.

We need to vaccinate 330 Million Americans. That is a monumental task we have never done before. Waving cars into spaces and refilling hand sanitizer jugs at the Supersites shouldn't allow you to jump the line ahead of old people.

Last edited:

TP2000

I would agree that California needs to do better on vaccine administration. Currently California is one of the worst states in the nation for that; as of today California ranked 44th among the 50 states. California has received over 3 million doses of vaccine so far, with 2.4 Million unused doses sitting in medical freezers across the state, but as of today has only administered 25% of the received doses so far, with more doses pouring into the state weekly.

Texas ranks 9th at 47% of doses administered
Florida ranks 22nd at 38% of doses administered
California ranks 44th at 25% of doses administered

And we are the biggest and wealthiest state in the union, and we fancy ourselves very sophisticated and tech savvy. But we are being beaten badly by states like West Virginia and, gulp, Texas.

That needs to change fast.

And as a reminder, why I feel strongly that old people need the vaccine first before clipboard volunteers at the supersites cut the line, here is a reminder of who dies from Covid, and who doesn't in the USA...

USA Covid Deaths By Age Group
Aged 85 and Older = 33% of Deaths
Aged 75 to 84 = 27% of Deaths
Aged 65 to 74 = 21% of Deaths

Americans aged 65 and older make up 81% of the deaths! Then there's a smaller chunk of the late middle aged folks.

Aged 50 to 64 = 15% of deaths

Then the remaining 4% of deaths belongs to age groups under age 50 in fractions of single digits, until you get down to the school children and college kids who make up 0.1% of the deaths. That's one tenth of one percent for children and young adults.

So some panicky 20 year old kid who doesn't understand Science & Data, or even a 30 year old bored unemployed Jungle Cruise Skipper (who I commiserate with), should not be allowed to cut to the front of the line in these first few weeks of vaccine distribution just for volunteering to help park cars at the Supersite.

TP2000

Science & Data says young people spending their day around hundreds of high risk persons could not possibly spread the virus to them. Right?

I can't imagine that they would let "volunteers" near the actual vaccination process, where people would be in close contact and touching others to give them the shots.

I fully expect the "volunteers" are being used to help direct traffic, restock supplies, etc. While wearing masks and following all CDC Social Distancing protocols, obviously.

Exactly. Imagine being so entrenched in your political ideology that you can't comprehend something this basic.

This has nothing to do with politics. It's just seems so basic to me to get all the old people vaccinated first before you start doling out "I'm A Good Person!" buttons and letting 35 year olds jump the line from Phase 3 to Phase 1A.

I think it's great if a young person who has nothing else to do wants to volunteer to help at these Supersites. I think it would be fun if some of the 30,000 Disneyland CM's (mostly young people under age 40) who are still unemployed wanted to help at the Supersite as they collect unemployment.

But that volunteer work allows them to jump the line from Phase 3 (April? June?) up to Phase 1A (January) during the very first weeks of vaccine rollout? When we are desperately needing to get this vaccine into the 52 Million Americans over the age of 65? Nope, sorry, but I just don't think that's following Science & Data.

USA Covid Deaths By Age Group - 81% of Deaths Are Over The Age of 65
Aged 85 and Older = 33% of Deaths
Aged 75 to 84 = 27% of Deaths
Aged 65 to 74 = 21% of Deaths

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom