Disneyland Resort - New Entry Gates Incoming?

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yeah, several times I've forgotten to charge my MB+ and it still gets me in and out of the gates, but since I like using it for PhotoPass and love the little moments like the
heartbeat
at Mansion or lighting up during the various Avengers Campus shows or still being able to get the magic sparkle in the few Disney 100 signs that still work in Downtown Disney, I try to keep it charged for that. I loved when it would go off when the Headless Horseman statue was around during Halloween Time. They need more of that kind of thing to make the bands fun beyond just vaguely useful.

BrianLo

Oh yeah it (evolv) works great at the Smithsonian. It’s fine at Disney Springs too, where it’s low crowds. But the way WDW uses them at park entrances is a total cluster and I much prefer the Disneyland entrance.

Just my experience and opinions though.

I will say my recent experience with the Evolv security scanners was night and day. People are always backed up like 20-30 deep for security at Disneyland off Harbour and I was constantly waltzing through without an issue at WDW. Security was infinitely more pleasant.

The biggest issue with Evolv seems to be people not understanding it. The only reason a line ever formed is the inability of guests to understand they are supposed to keep walking through it. The CM's would have to constantly badger people not to wait and keep walking.

Though I see your point they are liable to use less of them than current security, but that also gives them more flexibility to redesign the security plaza as well.

BrianLo

Evolv actually helps Disneyland fix the issue of the Eastern Gateway. Moving security to the other side of harbour bothered local businesses. Now a redesign could keep security on the Disneyland side of Harbour still, but still with a significantly narrowed entry.

See the difference between MK with Evolv, DL as it currently is and DL as they *thought* they really needed. All conveniently against bus loops for scaling. It's almost comical what a waste of space their traditional security needs require.

Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 10.50.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 10.53.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 10.51.07 PM.png

PiratesMansion

I will say my recent experience with the Evolv security scanners was night and day. People are always backed up like 20-30 deep for security at Disneyland off Harbour and I was constantly waltzing through without an issue at WDW. Security was infinitely more pleasant.

The biggest issue with Evolv seems to be people not understanding it. The only reason a line ever formed is the inability of guests to understand they are supposed to keep walking through it. The CM's would have to constantly badger people not to wait and keep walking.

Though I see your point they are liable to use less of them than current security, but that also gives them more flexibility to redesign the security plaza as well.
Agreed 100%.

To me, there's really no such thing as a pleasant experience with security, or at least, it's relatively rare. So I consider the best security experience to be one that is as brief as possible. Evolv scanners accomplish that quite effectively, and I have yet to hear of any security incident anywhere that was caused because Evolv scanners were used rather than more traditional, old school metal detectors.

If there are concerns about cutting back security staff, perhaps Disneyland could assuage concerns by offering the security staff other roles within the resort or offering additional in-park security. I don't know that there's a perfect solution to that issue.

I want to be sympathetic to the DLR security concerns, but Evolv really does make the security process so much smoother and more efficient, and I find DLR security to be inconsistent-sometimes, it's pull everything out, search every nook and cranny of a bag, etc., and sometimes they just wave you through-and it makes it difficult for me.

Even before there were Evolv scanners, DLR consistently had the least efficient and pleasant security process of any Disney resort anyway, and I find very little to defend when it comes to the status quo.

TrainsOfDisney

Even before there were Evolv scanners, DLR consistently had the least efficient and pleasant security process of any Disney resort anyway, and I find very little to defend when it comes to the status quo.
My experience is definitely the opposite - Disneyland has always been pretty simple with the occasional grumpy CM. I’ve had several encounters at WDW that were extremely bad show both before and after evolv.

I will say though, everything went pretty smooth at Epcot this week, they really need a non-security greeter welcoming guests and pointing them to the to right lines but that was the only thing I’d say needed improvement.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

I feel like this incident will stop other companies to rushing to this new technology for a while unfortunately

Yikes!

“However, this particular stadium seems to utilize a new technology to replace traditional metal detectors called Evolv, which we’re working on an extensive article about, as this new system has been shown to miss items such as firearms and knives.”

PiratesMansion

I feel like this incident will stop other companies to rushing to this new technology for a while unfortunately
Well crap. That's probably the end of that.

So much for improved efficiency.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I'm sure there is more to the story, plus just like any tech it can be improved. So I don't see this as an end to the use of systems like Evolv. Heck even traditional metal detectors don't catch everything, such as 3d printed weapons.

October82

Yikes!

“However, this particular stadium seems to utilize a new technology to replace traditional metal detectors called Evolv, which we’re working on an extensive article about, as this new system has been shown to miss items such as firearms and knives.”

This story went around right after the incident, but it was never substantiated. The most plausible explanation is that a round was fired into the air from outside the stadium.

Purduevian

Evolv actually helps Disneyland fix the issue of the Eastern Gateway. Moving security to the other side of harbour bothered local businesses. Now a redesign could keep security on the Disneyland side of Harbour still, but still with a significantly narrowed entry.

See the difference between MK with Evolv, DL as it currently is and DL as they *thought* they really needed. All conveniently against bus loops for scaling. It's almost comical what a waste of space their traditional security needs require.

View attachment 765318
FYI that's not the whole security area for magic Kingdom, the monorail, Ferry boat, and TTC are all in the security bubble as well.

Meaning the 3 monorail hotels all have their own security area, and the one at TTC is for those arriving by car:
1707327539165.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom