Disneyland Resort in 2017: Marvel TOT retheme in DCA, Fantasmic! 2.0

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
All sounds good to me, especially the refreshed Fantasmic.

To answer your question I'd love to see a brand new storyline, a new score, and a showcase for characters that have been introduced since Belle and Ariel hit the scene. Basically I'm saying bye Fantasmic, hello to something fresh and new.

I doubt we'll see an all-new score - the theme song is iconic. I'm sure post-Belle characters will get some face time!

mickEblu

This would be a permanent change.

Why on earth would they think this is a good idea? Yea cuz Nothing screams GOTG more than a big haunted hotel in Hollywood. Do the imagineers have any say in anything? I can't imagine they would think this is a good idea. Unless of course it's someone who hasn't had an opportunity trying to earn some recognition in spite of what they likely believe is a bad idea.

This is just a sloppy short term cash grab at the expense of a superb attraction. It's the best attraction in DCA and Hollywood Studios and this is the one they want to mess with? I could see a cheesy overlay of the show scenes to tie in with a GOTG sequel but This is mind boggling.

So this is the new DLR. anything new has to be Star Wars or Marvel? It's one thing to clear backstage areas for these franchises but to destroy a classic like TOT? I really hope this doesn't happen and people come back to their senses at TDA. What's next ?

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

I was wondering how they would handle TOT with all the rumored changes going on around it, but this seems absolutely bizarre to me. I'm not sure how a Guardian's haunted hotel makes any sense. I really hope it doesn't occur in Florida. WDW's TOT is a treasure. If DCA needs a partner to help spread the costs, do it in Paris as the Towers are virtually identical, the studios park there could use something, and Marvel has been rumored to go in there for years. .

I heard F! was getting upgrades and hopefully it turns out great. I have always loved that show.

Californian Elitist

@WDW1974 dropped the bomb in his thread. I've been sitting on this for weeks and found it too unreal to believe, but it is indeed going forward.

Current plan is for TOT at DCA to close after Christmas for a full retheme to Guardians of the Galaxy, opening with the new movie in May.

This doesn't bother me, mainly because the "Hollywood" theme in DCA is beyond terrible, the worst of the entire park. Might as well make it worse.

Californian Elitist

Why on earth would they think this is a good idea? Yea cuz Nothing screams GOTG more than a big haunted hotel in Hollywood. Do the imagineers have any say in anything? I can't imagine they would think this is a good idea. Unless of course it's someone who hasn't had an opportunity trying to earn some recognition in spite of what they likely believe is a bad idea.

This is just a sloppy short term cash grab at the expense of a superb attraction. It's the best attraction in DCA and Hollywood Studios and this is the one they want to mess with? I could see a cheesy overlay of the show scenes to tie in with a GOTG sequel but This is mind boggling.

So this is the new DLR. anything new has to be Star Wars or Marvel? It's one thing to clear backstage areas for these franchises but to destroy a classic like TOT? I really hope this doesn't happen and people come back to their senses at TDA. What's next ?

Disney is putting an entire land dedicated to Star Wars in Disneyland. Disneyland...the original, Walt's park, the OG... They lost their minds the moment they started believing that would be a good idea, let alone when they decided to execute it. This decision, if it turns out to be true, is no different.

All I can do is laugh at this point. It's comical.

mickEblu

It's not the clash in theming that bothers me as much as the loss of an excellent attraction. The music outside and around the hotel, the haunted hotel facade, the Lobby/ queue, the classic Twilight Zone theming and the ride itself.

I guess Disney must think "well the thrills and drops will still be there. They ll get over it once they see what we put for GOTG."

They should just a put a real GOTG ride in one of those buildings in the backlot, put the new coaster in the expansion pad and leave TOT alone.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I don't like DCA's TOT theming. The exterior is underwhelming compared to the same ride at DHS and TDS. Walking by it, it has no ominous presence, no build up. It looks like a low rent TOT dropped in a parking lot. DHS' version is on a hill with way more theming effort. Combine that with a lackluster ride experience at DCA, and I have zero attachment to it.

I hate the idea for WDW, but I can live with it here.

mickEblu

Disney is putting an entire land dedicated to Star Wars in Disneyland. Disneyland...the original, Walt's park, the OG... They lost their minds the moment they started believing that would be a good idea, let alone when they decided to execute it. This decision, if it turns out to be true, is no different.

All I can do is laugh at this point. It's comical.

For some reason the loss of TOT bothers me more only because it appears the ROA didn't get butchered as bad as we thought and it will be reopening with some nice new eye candy. Then of course there is the fact that most of the land for SWL was backstage areas.

Losing TOT for me would be like losing the crown jewel of DCA.

Californian Elitist

For some reason the loss of TOT bothers me more only because it appears the ROA didn't get butchered as bad as we thought and it will be reopening with some nice new eye candy. Then of course there is the fact that most of the land for SWL was backstage areas.

Losing TOT for me would be like losing the crown jewel of DCA.

Star Wars Land at Disneyland is one of the ultimate offenses to me. I don't care what Disney does to DCA. I don't see Tower as being the crown jewel of the park. Maybe it was back in 2004, when it debuted, but not anymore. I find the ride mediocre.

George Lucas on a Bench

Why on earth would they think this is a good idea?

I'm not surprised. This is the kind of thing we really have to worry about. They constantly change E tickets around these days and it's always baffling considering they are already as popular as can be, beloved, classic (Tower is a modern classic) and perfect before they shoehorn unrelated movies and themes and radically alter the experience. This also doesn't solve DCA's problem of needing more worthwhile stuff. It's just changing around something that's already there and is actually good.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I have a very hard time believing this one. Put me down as believing this will never actually happen. But if it does, I don't know how to really feel about it. I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but I love Tot as it is too.

It's important to note that there's still a lot of time for this to change. With Disney, nothing's a done deal until you're riding it, and even then...;)

BrianLo

Took me a while to wander down here!

@GiveMeTheMusic, I noticed you started this thread just a little before @WDW1974 did today. I'm kind of curious what just 'changed', or was it just pure total coincidence?

First Fantasmic - Love that they are going to plus this show. It goes without saying how ridiculously spoiled Disneyland is right now in terms of new or refreshed night spectaculars. Even WoC (when it hopefully reverts) still qualifies as brand new in WDW terms.

I really hope it retains some of the weirdness, but things definitely need refreshing. I certainly enjoy the Heffalumps, flower and Pinocchio segments, but all the costumes/elements are so 90's bare-bones by today's standards.

I kind of hope Anna and Elsa just get relegated to a new fourth Princess float (with the obligatory few lines of Let it Go), but I certainly am not stupid that the temptation will be there to do a lot more than that. If they pull off some spectacular ice power projection mapping shenanigans (with a live Elsa Actress), it earns a thumbs up.

Now the controversial one. It kind of helps hearing the more inducing WDW side of things, because it actually makes sense in the DCA context. I actually understand why and how this came to be.

I'm a ok with them redrawing the boundaries of Hollywood land to shift Tower of Terror into the forthcoming Marvel Land. I totally agree the DCA version is just 'meh'. It's not a proper weenie being set off the actual main drag. It doesn't have the atmospheric build up that WDW gets. It's also just a lesser version of the ride in terms of the show scene. Finally, it's kind of an ugly dilapidated mess in DCA. TDS is simply stunning and DHS just is this beautifully imposing period and placement appropriate masterpiece.

I don't want the ride to go away, because it's still fantastic. But if they can retool it, it could benefit from being purpose designed for what's coming later to DCA.

This is the whole reason clones don't work. It's why ToT hasn't really ever worked as well in DCA and it's the reason GoTG does not make sense as an overlay in Florida. They need to stop forcing ideas born out of very different parks to save a few dollars on R&D.

mickEblu

Star Wars Land at Disneyland is one of the ultimate offenses to me. I don't care what Disney does to DCA. I don't see Tower as being the crown jewel of the park. Maybe it was back in 2004, when it debuted, but not anymore. I find the ride mediocre.

But at least you can kind of pretend that that SWL is not there. I mean they re literally building it outside of the berm.

Just out of curiosity... What do you think is the crown jewel of DCA? I think the only other attraction worthy of that title would be RSR.

dweezil78

What a weird idea. I really see this one going to the graveyard of 'Wacky Ideas That Were Considered But Never Happened.' Just seems like too much of a stretch to me, especially in Florida where TOT is such an iconic attraction at DHS. I wouldn't be devastated for the change at DCA if it were somehow done well as the main reason I enjoy it out here is really just due to the fact that it allows me to get a taste (however inferior) of the original, far superior, attraction.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great property, but IMO, it's hardly something that's proven itself to have any kind of longevity with just one movie under its belt (even with a sequel on the way.) To do anything more than a temporary overlay would be quite a huge gamble and I'd be shocked to see them follow through with such a risky plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom