News Disneyland Resort Backlot Premiere Shop coming to Stage 17 in... Downtown Disney?

Curious Constance

It's important that we keep the school children away from school for another semester, because to really damage a child's long-term development you need to get them at least one full year behind.

But we need the ability to go to this store and touch all this merchandise lovingly made for us in Communist China, try on the t-shirts and pick up the mugs and get our germs on everything for the next shopper, because all of this fun seasonal merchandise is 100% required for human survival.

To prepare for the Second Wave Twindemic this fall and to follow the Science, we should be stocking up on bulk toilet paper, rice, beans, and Halloween sleep sets. Go Shopping, Save Lives!

1602019921293-png.503341
I canā€™t help but comment about school. The younger the child, the more absolutely appallingly, ridiculous it is. Iā€™m SO thankful my kids arenā€™t going going through this at a younger age. Mine are 16 and almost 13, their school is a fraction of what it should be and a joke but at least they are older and can type, work a computer, tell time to get to classes when they need to, and have had years of school to learn socialization,, etc.

My nephew, on the other hand, is in first grade and has learning/speech problems. He desperately needs school to try and catch up to other kids. His school is 30 minutes three days a week and 1 1/2 hours the other two days. Young kids are in big trouble after all of this. I donā€™t think anyone realizes how big of an impact this is going to have on kids.

TP2000

I canā€™t help but comment about school. The younger the child, the more absolutely appallingly, ridiculous it is. Iā€™m SO thankful my kids arenā€™t going going through this at a younger age. Mine are 16 and almost 13, their school is a fraction of what it should be and a joke but at least they are older and can type, work a computer, tell time to get to classes when they need to, and have had years of school to learn socialization,, etc.

My nephew, on the other hand, is in first grade and has learning/speech problems. He desperately needs school to try and catch up to other kids. His school is 30 minutes three days a week and 1 1/2 hours the other two days. Young kids are in big trouble after all of this. I donā€™t think anyone realizes how big of an impact this is going to have on kids.

It's heartbreaking! And criminal.

And I know you, and I know you are a great parent who is involved and motivated and savvy. Also fun!

Now imagine a parent who has a limited grasp of English, who never got past the 6th grade in their home country's decrepit educational system, or who works two jobs and can't sit there monitoring the useless Zoom classes, or check the homework, or engage the child in creative outlets like history and science and museum visits. Imagine the homes that don't have basic books available to read, with parents who have never owned a library card or know how to use the library catalog, who think Cardi B is okay music to play at dinner instead of Mozart or Jazz.

It's absolutely heartbreaking. We will be dealing with 2020's damage done to these children for decades to come.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Unless Im jogging at home I dont usually wear Disneyland / World shirts unless im in a Disney park. Does this stuff still sell well even with parks closed?

Do people wear mickey and minnie ears to go grocery shopping?

Ears?

1602035541889.png

Shirts, pants, baseball caps and occasionally shoes? Sure.

Yes, my wardrobe is... ummm... specifically tailored...

:D

Disneyland/DCA

Was the main street cinema a practice run for this? We're they expecting the state to shut them down in a couple days due to operating in a theme park? What a weird void to be shopping in. The literal representation of being sucked into the disney black hole

TP2000

Thank you for that. It's certainly an unattractive environment to go shopping in. South Coast Plaza this is not.

But yes, with Covid ravaging our communities and killing our children daily, this is exactly what people should be doing to stop the spread and save lives. Go out in public with people they don't live with, and touch and handle all the merchandise and mill around next to each other buying key products required for human life. Perfection! :cool:

And yet Disneyland is still closed. Also schools.

Stevek

This is one of the worst "experiences" Disney has offered. The entrance process is so bad and is entirely backstage and requires 20 employees to block all entrances to the themepark.

Unthemed entrance process to access an unthemed building. As TP said, a giant store where everyone is putting their hands on merchandise isn't what he world needs right now.

If someone isn't even in a themepark, are expensive items and shirts even worth it? Especially when the same items are online?

Reminds me of those "firework corridors" that completely break the feel of being in Disneyland.
Not sure what the big deal is. It's a store full of items that other stores in DtD carry but those stores are often hard to get in to. Seems like just another way to make shopping a bit accessible

Animaniac93-98

I still don't know why they haven't opened up DCA as a mall. Charge $25, open up all the restaurants & shops, bring out the food booths. I'm hoping for them to bring some sort of Festival of Holidays to DCA in a similar way to Knott's Taste of Halloween.

People would like this, but then Disney couldn't complain to the Gov about their parks being closed.

TP2000

I still don't know why they haven't opened up DCA as a mall. Charge $25, open up all the restaurants & shops, bring out the food booths. I'm hoping for them to bring some sort of Festival of Holidays to DCA in a similar way to Knott's Taste of Halloween.

I've wondered how Knott's got away with what it did. Under the state guidelines "Festivals" are all still illegal in all California counties. Food festivals held annually in Orange County had to be cancelled this past summer and into this fall.

If they do try and reopen DCA as a food festival, they certainly can't put this signage back up...

1180w-600h_022619_DCA-food-and-wine-need-to-know-780x440.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

Certain people would like that, I guess. I mean, look how many guests turn out for Downtown Disney and a crappy warehouse store clearly selling unsold seasonal junk intended for the theme park stores.

But the vast majority of people going to Disney are there for the rides. Take away the rides and it sucks. Literally turning the parks into malls? No, that should never be done ever.

I can just imagine how Disney would proceed from there in such a business climate. They'd start charging for the attractions or something insane that should never be done.

SuddenStorm

If I had to guess, the simple answer would be the unions which have strict and tightly negotiated contracts with the company and are quite different than the unions Knott's employees have.

Seniority plays a huge role in scheduling and staffing the resort. Let's look at the foods union- which had about 7,000 cast members across both parks. Let's say there's a cook who's trained at Blue Bayou with 15 year seniority, but isn't trained to work any of the restaurants that would open at DCA. Disney would likely have to find a way to satisfy seniority, location, scheduling, etc. with the unions before they could do any kind of partial reopen- and I imagine that would be a legal nightmare, especially when said unions were fighting against their workers having to do work of any kind back in July when the park was trying to reopen.

Most of DTD is external companies that aren't part of Disneyland's unions- so they get more flexibility.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I've wondered how Knott's got away with what it did. Under the state guidelines "Festivals" are all still illegal in all California counties. Food festivals held annually in Orange County had to be cancelled this past summer and into this fall.

If they do try and reopen DCA as a food festival, they certainly can't put this signage back up...

1180w-600h_022619_DCA-food-and-wine-need-to-know-780x440.jpg

How about the ā€œGavin Newsom Can Go To Hell,Fall Food and Wine Mixerā€?

MarvelCharacterNerd

Charging for attractions? That's a ridiculous idea. Disneyland would never do that. I mean how could you even accomplish such a thing? Would you pay for them individually? Would you buy tickets to each attraction like at a carnival? Would the least popular ones be on the low end of the scale - listed alphabetically? Who would buy such 'A tickets' or even 'D' or 'E' tickets? That's just crazy talk.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom