Disneyland Paris... Only in Europe!

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
This has been going on for some time now on and off!

I can't believe how bad this must be for first time travellers :shrug:

First I've seen on the subject! Just another reason why I won't go to France... And I have LOTS of reasons! :ROFLOL:

More European human rights stuff no doubt says they can't be replaced and it's perfectly acceptable that they ruin people's holidays!

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
First I've seen on the subject! Just another reason why I won't go to France... And I have LOTS of reasons! :ROFLOL:

More European human rights tuff no doubt says they can't be replaced and it's perfectly acceptable that they ruin people's holidays!

It's quite a complicated subject really!

But yeah I can't imagine how bad it must sour people on DLP

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A very complicated subject, reported by a tabloid paper that wouldn't understand it.

Remember the Disneyland strikes of the mid 80s? They weren't in Europe.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
A very complicated subject, reported by a tabloid paper that wouldn't understand it.

Remember the Disneyland strikes of the mid 80s? They weren't in Europe.

They probably wouldn't understand it but they are more than capable of reporting on it surely? It's clearly not a false story..

And no, I don't remeber the strikes in the Mid 80's as I was about 3 years old and didn't know much about anyhting... Feel free to enlighten me though :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disneyland suffered characters in costume striking as well as placard carrying CMs outside the main gate.

The Sun is great at reporting the facts as it sees them but the bigger picture is missing from its tabloid reporting. The Paris strikes are about H&S issues that have affected at least 2 CMs as well as conditions. Sadly both sides have valid points but they need to get their heads together and sort it properly. Flashmob sit downs curtailed 2 parades last month and did those who took part no favours.

real mad hatter

Please Excuse Me.

Iam sorry,but only the Sun newspaper could come up with this sort of horrendous news.My god! Who buys this tabloid? I can just see today's edition of the New York Times. " Goofys On Strike " Iam sorry,my warped sense of humour is going into overdrive. I can see photos of Minnie handcuffed to the railings,etc.On a serious point tho I do feel sorry for tourists from the UK going there on vacation and this happens.What's the bet it doesn't even feature on tonight's news.:ROFLOL:

Azerin

They probably wouldn't understand it but they are more than capable of reporting on it surely? It's clearly not a false story..

And no, I don't remeber the strikes in the Mid 80's as I was about 3 years old and didn't know much about anyhting... Feel free to enlighten me though :shrug:

While they got the basic fact of the entertainment cast members "striking" they certainly didn't get all the details/full story. They also falsely implied that these same cast members went on strike a couple months ago about pay/benefits.

While I agree that it really sucks for the people visiting and I would be upset too if it happened while I was there from everything I have heard it sounds like the management was to blame for refusing to address a serious problem and the cast members felt strongly enough about the issue and they felt like this was the only way to get it resolved.

This was not a normal "I want extra pay for working Sundays" strike (which was the case in March) that the vast majority of entertainment cast members are disgusted about just as much as guests (and do not support/participate) and they do everything they can with the attitude "the show must go on".

Bolna

People have the most beautiful Magic Kingdom style park to explore and some guy is quoted that people only travel there to see the characters??? :hammer:

I don't see why this would "spoil" anyone's trip more than a refurbishment of a major attraction. A disappointment? Sure. But a ruined trip? That's nonsense.

njDizFan

The French love to strike...its in their blood. Not a bad thing(except for the vacationers), they take Democracy very seriously.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The facts can be posted here now; it was an entertainment department dispute involving sexual harassment/assault. It is now resolved.

I bet that's not in tomorrow's Sun. With a photo of Sleeping Beauty Castle from Disneyland.

coolbeans14

They are very "strike-y". A few years ago I it stuck behind over 100 tractors, all part of a farming strike on taxes or something.

I get the feeling the European economy is going to cause further strikes over the coming years for Paris.

dagobert

People have the most beautiful Magic Kingdom style park to explore and some guy is quoted that people only travel there to see the characters??? :hammer:

I don't see why this would "spoil" anyone's trip more than a refurbishment of a major attraction. A disappointment? Sure. But a ruined trip? That's nonsense.

That's the european Disney community. They care more about characters than about rides, and especially about the sad state of many rides.

Semantje

Yes i would be very dissapointed if this was happening when i was there but i fully accept te reason.

You should be feeling good at your work and if there is one jackass in that park that sexually is bothering some of its female co workers and after many complains towards Disney about this person they wouldt do anything.

What to do? Let this person do his thing, be unhappy for the rest of your working years. Quit your dreamjob or strike for a day?

I don't thing they had any other option actually.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
The facts can be posted here now; it was an entertainment department dispute involving sexual harassment/assault. It is now resolved.

I bet that's not in tomorrow's Sun. With a photo of Sleeping Beauty Castle from Disneyland.

Great to hear all has been resolved, being such a huge year for DLP this was not the time for trouble in the camp!

Ralphlaw

What isn't appreciated is the long-term harm this does to France in general. I hesitate to put all my vacation marbles in France because, overnight, they could all be ruined. I even hesitate to fly AirFrance. Unfortunately, so many strikers fail to see that their own piece of the pie may diminish if the overall size of the pie diminishes due to people like me not spending money due to the history of strikes. In most of America, the following attitude seems to prevail a bit more:

1. If that job is so bad, then quit. Yes, people feel "invested" in jobs, but "Then leave" is often the quick retort.
2. When lower workers have too much power, the vision of the company gets watered down.

Walt, rather famously, spent less time working on animation once the cartoonists strike hit the studio in the 40's. After that, he focused on the world's fairs, TV, Disneyland, Imagineering, and the live action movies. His animation vision was being compromised by the unions, so he all but left it. Yes, some managers are short-sighted bullies who need to be reined in, but most bosses just want to do a good job, and the aggressive unions often prevent that from happening.

In this situation, striking for worker safety is an appropriate complaint. In America, one call to OSHA and/or the insurance company will take care of it. Strikes aren't needed. I guess that makes me wonder why the threat of Government Safety Agencies and insurance companies are insufficient to avert the stoppages in France.

Ralphlaw

We were just in Nice on our Disney cruise, and a railroad workers strike shut down certain commuter lines for a day. This happened on one of those vitally important days for students to take the notorious exams that French kids need to basically set up their futures. In short, the train workers struck on the day that would be the most damaging to young people, apparently not caring one bit that their actions clogged up the roads (due to everyone now having to drive instead of taking the trains) and will likely cause some hard-working, intelligent kids to do poorly on their exams, perhaps making them late or miss them altogether. Insane. When your kid can't get into college, I doubt if a smart parent is NOT blaming the union for their terrible uncaring timing.

By contrast, a recent taxi driver's strike in Barcelona was a bit annoying, but didn't hurt much of anyone. The taxi drivers made their point, and most people were sympathetic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom