Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Californian Elitist

You don’t know this forum very well…..

Raven 24, you came off a little strong on Mansionbutler. He has a good point. All perspectives should be welcome

I appreciate you pointing at that I’m new here and passively putting myself and others in their place. A ray of sunshine in this forum indeed.
You’re welcome. You’re taking everything the wrong way, but okay.

Welcome to the forums. When was your last DL visit? Have you returned since the parks reopened?
I originally expected the land to be open to all. That being said, I knew what I was getting in to so the fact that I only had a 20 min or so wait was a nice surprise.
Well there you go.

I know you recently didn’t have the best recent visit. Will you now write off any future visits?

Stevek

You’re welcome. You’re taking everything the wrong way, but okay.

Welcome to the forums. When was your last DL visit? Have you returned since the parks reopened?

Well there you go.

I know you recently didn’t have the best recent visit. Will you now write off any future visits?
No, but I will wait until I see how things pan out post 6/15. My issues were much more broad than Avengers Campus so until I understand what the new normal will be like, I won’t return.

SoCalDisneyLover

Disney has indicated that it owes me nothing as a "Legacy" Passholder, and I have no argument with that. I do not feel I should be entitled to have an AP, so if they want to dump the program, that's their decision. However, unlike those who NEED their Disney fix, I am not going to spend $150+ so I can spend 12 hours in Disneyland.

In fact, I am glad, since it has given me the opportunity to get passes at the other area theme parks, and explore them. It's not Disneyland, but I'm happy with my Knott's pass, and feel it offers a Tremendous value. For almost $200 less than what I would have paid for a Flex Pass, I get a year of admission to Knott's And Soak City, parking, 2 meals/visit, unlimited drinks, 20% food/merch discount, and a pass good for all nights of Knott's Scary Farm.

I'm sorry that people may be disappointed with what Disney is providing, but again, people are willingly paying for that, and Disney has made clear the "take it or leave it" attitude, so it's no secret what you're going to get when you pay your $200/person for a 1-Day Park Hopper plus $25 for parking. Can't blame them, since people are climbing over each other to book those precious reservations every time there is another reservations release. Then either arrive Harbor side at 5 AM, or pay $25 for the privilege of walking the 1+ mile tram route both ways.

Last edited:

DrAlice

I'm not a local, have never had an AP, and this last trip was our first DL trip in 3 years. We knew that by planning the trip before June 15, there would be some "differences from normal" but that was by design on our part. My daughter has spent the last year in online school without her normal extra-curriculars and really needed some taste of normalcy. And frankly, so did I. We chose to go when it would be the "safest" for her (she's too young to be vaccinated yet), so we made a compromise on our DL experience so we could get out and have some fun. We would not have been comfortable going to a place with a crush of people not wearing masks and huddled together indoors. So, while some of those COVID restraints were difficult (masks in the heat sucks), we still had fun overall and I'm glad we went when we did. But, now we can wait until things go back to something that looks more normal (and after my kid is able to get a vaccine). If that means we don't go back in another 3 years, so be it.

If Disney didn't create a two hour line to get into the park/land, then the land would be literally shoulder-to-shoulder packed... and don't think for a minute the same people wouldn't be complaining about that online.

But the thing is, the Harbor line and Avengers Campus WAS packed shoulder-to-shoulder BECAUSE of Disney's policies. I don't agree that it would be worse if they just opened it up. Listen, Harbor is always a bit of a mess to get in to the parks, but it was NEVER like this. If they let people go in early and wander around DT Disney (and use the freakin bathroom), people would be spread out and the entry experience wouldn't have been so dismal. As I said in another thread, there isn't much to do in Avengers Campus and the only reason it is packed right now is because you can't get food unless you are physically in the land and people are waiting for their return time that is often 3-4 hours after they place the order. If they were allowed to wander the park and come back, they would.

@raven24 asked what I expected. I expected crowds for opening week of AC. I didn't expect Disney to make that situation worse. I expected mobile ordering of food. I even knew food might be difficult (we brought our own snacks and lunches to alleviate that a bit). I did NOT expect that Disney would create a food system that was so bad that I would want to give Disney my money for an overpriced cofee or cold drink and it would be extremely difficult/impossible for me to do so.

Stevek

@raven24 asked what I expected. I expected crowds for opening week of AC. I didn't expect Disney to make that situation worse. I expected mobile ordering of food. I even knew food might be difficult (we brought our own snacks and lunches to alleviate that a bit). I did NOT expect that Disney would create a food system that was so bad that I would want to give Disney my money for an overpriced cofee or cold drink and it would be extremely difficult/impossible for me to do so.

This x 100. I can't stress enough how terrible the food situation is. If they didn't have the staffing to handle the food needs, they should have never increased the capacity to an unmanageable level. Bottom line is, they don't care. They're willing to live with all backlash from this because there is such pent up demand that folks will return no matter what.

Stevek

Disney should have scared off guests for showing up for a new land with only one new ride like they did with SW:GE!
Yeah, you would have thought that AC would have had the same issue as GE but I think folks were looking for any reason to go back to the parks. Had GE opened up now instead of AC, I think you'd have the same issues as we are experiencing now but just a larger land to absorb people.

mickEblu

Yikes! Even with a stroller, you should be able to be through security by 9 AM at the latest, unless you didn't leave your car until then.

8:45 meaning just arrived/ last car in line to pay for parking at Mickey and Friends. Add 10 minutes spent parked at our parking spot to get our stuff together and my wife nursing our baby and I don’t think it’s that bad to be done with security at 9:30am.

mickEblu

This x 100. I can't stress enough how terrible the food situation is. If they didn't have the staffing to handle the food needs, they should have never increased the capacity to an unmanageable level. Bottom line is, they don't care. They're willing to live with all backlash from this because there is such pent up demand that folks will return no matter what.

I tried to warn you but you re so damn optimistic! Lol.

mickEblu

Everybody understands Disney is still riding high on all the pent up demand right? That people won’t be willing to spend full price for this kind of experience for long. They ve only been open for 6 weeks after being shut down for 15 months. Also 35% capacity is going away like tomorrow. Membership programs are coming. Lots of changes will be happening by the end of the year.

Californian Elitist

Everybody understands Disney is still riding high on all the pent up demand right? That people won’t be willing to spend full price for this kind of experience for long. They ve only been open for 6 weeks after being shut down for 15 months. Also 35% capacity is going away like tomorrow. Membership programs are coming. Lots of changes will be happening by the end of the year.
Exactly, and it’s okay if some folks aren’t completely happy with their visits and find some of the current customs a bit frustrating. The good thing is it won’t be like this forever, as you just stated.

mickEblu

Did anyone here expect to be able to just walk right into AC freely without a wait? To those who’ve been to the parks recently, @waltography @mickEblu @Stevek @DrAlice etc.? Were any of you genuinely shocked to find a line to get in? I’m curious.

The disappointment is justified. I’m sure we’re all aware that the DLR has to do things differently because of the pandemic restrictions, but it’s not like how it was and we have every right to feel a little disappointed. The parks were closed for over a year and many of us enjoyed going to the parks without having these weird restrictions and obviously miss those days. The parks haven’t been open for very long and the initial, normal reactions are still rolling out.

I’m neither annoyed, nor shocked about the feelings now longtime ex-APers may have currently. Anyone who’s ever been a longtime DLR passholder could most likely understand why some are naturally pressed about the situation.

I expected pretty much everything I got but I’m also on these boards everyday and follow Disneyland current events pretty closely. On another thread I even mentioned that I was pleasantly surprised with my Mickey and Friends experience only taking 45 minutes. Meaning from waiting in line to pay for parking until I walk out of security. I more or less expected the crowds and long wait times at the park due to social distancing/ staffing issue.

Things I didn’t expect was for it to be as crowded as it was at Avengers Campus. Inside Web Suppliers for example people were pressed up against each other like old times. “ I even heard once concerned girl say “there are way too many people in here.” I also expected mobile order to be a little more efficient than a few weeks ago. But if anything it was worse now than my trip from late May. Could just depend on what time you re ordering and from where.

To be honest if it wasn’t for a hack that I will never share on these boards publicly I wouldn’t be able to ride half the rides I do at the relaxing pace we go at.

Newtwo

Also 35% capacity is going away like tomorrow.
Capacity is not going to magically jump to 100% tomorrow.

Disney can't hire workers back fast enough. They are slowed by multiple things.

First being the rule stating that they have to offer back the jobs first to those that were furrowed before hiring new people.

They also can't staff the park at 100% with the current social distancing restrictions in place for their cast members still due to OSHA rules.

And with the huge labor shortage going on now, when they do start hiring new people, it will be a slow process.

Capacity will increase, but it will be a slower process.

mickEblu

First being the rule stating that they have to offer back the jobs first to those that were furrowed before hiring new people.

They also can't staff the park at 100% with the current social distancing restrictions in place for their cast members still due to OSHA rules.

And with the huge labor shortage going on now, when they do start hiring new people, it will be a slow process.

I know. Never said it was jumping to 100% tmrw

Disney Analyst

Is mobile ordering terrible park wide, or is it the AC mobile ordering situation?

It seems so odd, as from what I can tell, WDW has had this down pat almost this entire time, why is Disneyland having such a hard time with it? Just because they aren't used to it on such a wide scale?

Stevek

Agreed but I wouldn't put it by Disney to go from 35% to 50% just because they can, even if they can barely handle the current capacity.

ToTBellHop

Is mobile ordering terrible park wide, or is it the AC mobile ordering situation?

It seems so odd, as from what I can tell, WDW has had this down pat almost this entire time, why is Disneyland having such a hard time with it? Just because they aren't used to it on such a wide scale?
WDW pretty slowly ramped up capacity, has larger kitchens, was able to hire new CMs over time, and doesn’t have such restrictive state policies. DL is trying to condense what took a year in Florida into a few months at DL. So, growing pains. It should improve considerably by mid-summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom