Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Mickeyboof

I truly believe there are decision-making people at Disney that genuinely enjoy the chaos they inflict on their guests.

I play by the rules, but it’s really unfair when the rules are changed right out under us, such as today’s disastrous dining reservation rollout.

Sure, there are problems with staffing and capacity, but I think Disney invented most of these problems on their own, knowing full well the impact would be on the guests, not them.

Plan ahead! Purchase Mobile Order early! But if you do that, you aren’t guaranteed you’ll get to pick up your food! Plan ahead! Reservations available 60 days in advance! Unless they’re not! We don’t care! Plan ahead! Press the boarding pass button in a split second or else you won’t get to ride! How fun! Plan ahead! Buy ride-enhancing merchandise for a ride you can only do once or twice during your visit! Brilliant! Welcome to Disneyland! This land is your land… only if you plan ahead!

truecoat

We got five day hoppers too. But I can’t imagine waiting on Harbor for 1-2 hours. I wonder if more people are entering from Harbor side or it’s mostly due to trying to keep the esplanade distanced?

I've heard the Toy Story lot is opening soon. If so then the lines in the bus drop offs have to disappear as well. I think it will be a lot different by the end of the month.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I didn't have any major problems parking at M&F. The first day I got there around 8:15am and only waited about 15 minutes to get through the line. On Sunday I didn't get there until 10:30am and I drove right up to the ticket booth.

I know many people walk to and from M&F anyway, but I'll say that the mile-long trek back to my car at the end of the day (especially the second day) was brutal. I'd almost prefer to brave the Harbor chaos in the morning if it meant a shorter walk back to my hotel/car.

mickEblu

I didn't have any major problems parking at M&F. The first day I got there around 8:15am and only waited about 15 minutes to get through the line. On Sunday I didn't get there until 10:30am and I drove right up to the ticket booth.

I know many people walk to and from M&F anyway, but I'll say that the mile-long trek back to my car at the end of the day (especially the second day) was brutal. I'd almost prefer to brave the Harbor chaos in the morning if it meant a shorter walk back to my hotel/car.

Yeah I just did that trek and it was kind of brutal at the end of the day. Is Mickey and Friends further from the esplanade than the Marriott across the street from Toy Story? That walk felt much shorter for whatever reason. I’m surprised at how much more energy I had at the end of our days when we stayed out there. I think just the combo of the drive over and a long hot day. One day tickets have the worst value for a variety of reasons

Stevek

I truly believe there are decision-making people at Disney that genuinely enjoy the chaos they inflict on their guests.

I play by the rules, but it’s really unfair when the rules are changed right out under us, such as today’s disastrous dining reservation rollout.

Sure, there are problems with staffing and capacity, but I think Disney invented most of these problems on their own, knowing full well the impact would be on the guests, not them.

Plan ahead! Purchase Mobile Order early! But if you do that, you aren’t guaranteed you’ll get to pick up your food! Plan ahead! Reservations available 60 days in advance! Unless they’re not! We don’t care! Plan ahead! Press the boarding pass button in a split second or else you won’t get to ride! How fun! Plan ahead! Buy ride-enhancing merchandise for a ride you can only do once or twice during your visit! Brilliant! Welcome to Disneyland! This land is your land… only if you plan ahead!
I know you may be a little tongue and cheek but I truly believe that there are people at Disney that are willing to let guests suffer through a diminished or challenging experience purely because they know they can and they need to start recouping money now. Disney, like always, learns what they can do very early on and then they push that boundary. They've shown that time and time again with increased ticket prices and they always get people that will bite. The next few months will be very telling for the resort and seeing if Potrock is truly a man of his word when he says he's all about improving the guest experience.

DrAlice

Is mobile ordering terrible park wide, or is it the AC mobile ordering situation?

It seems so odd, as from what I can tell, WDW has had this down pat almost this entire time, why is Disneyland having such a hard time with it? Just because they aren't used to it on such a wide scale?
I never made it into AC. The problem with mobile order is a resort-wide problem. We made sure to order dinner early in the day (when we were eating lunch), but even with that advanced planning, we had one meal that wasn't correct (whatever, I ate it anyway) and on another night we had to wait at least 30 minutes in line to pick it up. We waited so long, I got a shouty message on the app saying that since I didn't pick up my order when I said I would, I would be charged anyway. I mean, for goodness sake. Don't yell at me when it is your fault!

The biggest frustration however, was trying to find impromptu snacks and beverages. Not all places have standby, and it isn't actually advertised who is offering standby (or even open). And if you try to mobile order, you will wait at least an hour to be able to pick up that cold drink you want (or coffee). So, you either wander around aimlessly hoping that you come upon something with a standby line (and then wait in line) or you use the mobile order. And again on our last day there, the corn dog cart never cleared out our order, so every time I clicked on mobile order it just gave me a "something went wrong" error. I could've asked a cast member about it, but at that point I was done with the whole business.

I'm not against mobile order as an option. But, you've got to have more ways for people to get food. Or not. I guess there's enough pent-up demand that nutballs like me will go anyway.

Stevek

Is mobile ordering terrible park wide, or is it the AC mobile ordering situation?

It seems so odd, as from what I can tell, WDW has had this down pat almost this entire time, why is Disneyland having such a hard time with it? Just because they aren't used to it on such a wide scale?
It’s pretty bad park wide. At least it was Saturday. I guess it really depends on where you want to eat. You may be forced to eat food that’s not your first, second or third choice. Your mileage may vary.

Stevek

Don't worry. You mobile orders problem will soon be gone when they open up the QS counters and there will be hour long lines.

But don't worry about QS, the restaurants will be open soon and you can't get reservations.
They will if they don't have the staff. That's the challenge with all of this reopening process.

Mac Tonight

I let my wife handle the mobile ordering on our trip last Monday (DL only). We did Stage Door Cafe for lunch and Red Rose Tavern for dinner. Both were ordered during "peak" meal times (12 and 6). The only "issue" she had was that the guy behind the register at Stage Door was very slow in processing the people in line. Food-wise everything was excellent.

CaptinEO

Don't worry. Your mobile orders problem will soon be gone when they open up the QS counters and there will be hour long lines.

But don't worry about QS, the restaurants will be open soon and you can't get reservations.
Yes. Before any pandemic Disney was understaffing all their QS restaraunts, even on busy days, with only half the lines open.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Capacity is not going to magically jump to 100% tomorrow.

Disney can't hire workers back fast enough. They are slowed by multiple things.

First being the rule stating that they have to offer back the jobs first to those that were furrowed before hiring new people.

They also can't staff the park at 100% with the current social distancing restrictions in place for their cast members still due to OSHA rules.

And with the huge labor shortage going on now, when they do start hiring new people, it will be a slow process.

Capacity will increase, but it will be a slower process.

Or Disney just lets more people in and have more lines and says "success!"

Stevek

Or Disney just lets more people in and have more lines and says "success!"
This would not surprise me at all. Given that queues can now go indoors and they believe they know how to manage the outdoor portions, why not just increase capacity and use both?! Cuz money!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom