• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

MansionButler84

In the Parks
No
Until the no indoor queues drop, I wouldn't see them adjusting to the higher capacity yet.
As of right now, the attraction teams are trying to figure out how that's going to work still. Some are waiting until they do preview days leading up to the opening. So expect bumpy roads for a least a month or so.
Right, but they should be able to use indoor queues 6/15. That won’t help Mansion since they’ll still want to avoid the elevators for distancing, but this will be glorious for Indy. For decades, Fastpass has prevented us from enjoying its queue. I can’t wait to spend 30 min in a distanced queue inside the temple.

I imagine they will settle at 35-40% like WDW, which crowds enjoy (wait times are reasonable) and which is successfully spreading crowds throughout the year at WDW, so they can have a stable staffing level. The park reservations are here to stay.

unmitigated disaster

But that's just it.

Disneyland fired thousands and thousands of CM's in the last year. Many are never coming back.

But we never saw teary Social Media from ride operators or churro girls or turnstile attendants. Only the professional actors seem to have put that kind of stuff up on their Social Media. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe!

It just feels... cringey to me. But that's just me.

If I'm off base on this one, that won't have been the first time. But it just seems eye-rolling to me when many thousands of other CM's also lost their jobs in the last year.
And so have thousands not employed by Disney. Your constant banging the drum on how!unique!Disney/California!is!for being affected by Covid is distasteful as well.

Captn EO

He's a racist and horrible human being. Or so many fashionable people on the Left think now. His name has been stripped from public schools in San Francisco, and his statue has been toppled and destroyed in Portland. He is a horrible human being now!

The fact that Walt idolized him won't be easy to work around for Burbank, but they'll need to find a way.

I think it's only a matter of time before Disney removes him entirely from the park, citing Equity or Inclusion or a word like that.
I think you are right that TDA will find a way to remove Lincoln. I don't think for a minute that the Walt Disney Company actually cares about following the ideals of its founder Walt Disney. At least in its current iteration it doesn't.

I still think it's tragic that Carousel of Progress was removed, which was one of Walt's favorite attractions.

Walt certainly wouldn't have built a themepark in communist China and bowed down to their government to sell toys there. He also was a proud American and was into all things Americana.
Good point. Mr. Damaro does get a lot of praise, but maybe it went overboard? Mr. Potrock is in charge of Disneyland (for now), but surely he ran the whole Touch Of Disney thing by his boss?

I mean, they had almost an entire year when they had nothing to do but lay off tens of thousands of CM's and plan a food festival experience where you got $25 of food for $75. And they failed at that experience part. Mr. Damaro deserves at least part of that blame.

It saves money on not running restaurants for dinner, and pushes business out to Downtown Disney restaurants. With how few people will be allowed inside the parks, I really don't think it's going to be a problem.
I absolutely agree. I don't understand how a massive company with all the resources in the world can't plan for an event where people go to eat inside a themepark.

It's typical Disney BS where fans will defend it too. "Oh wow, well I'm just glad the CMs are at work and its not the company's fault, theyre getting into the swing of things".

Expect to hear the same excuses from people come April 30. "It took us 90 minutes to park and all the security tents were understaffed, but the company is just getting it figured out".

Everyone who frequents Disneyland knows that even when the company does well they cut staff down as much as possible.

Captn EO

David Koenig, who has written a few books about Disneyland, tweets: "When Disneyland and its eateries reopen in three weeks, expect simplified menus and an intense push for mobile ordering. The number of cash registers at restaurants has been cut in half."
They already cut the number of staff members in QS restaurants in half YEARS ago. Even on days I've been where Disneyland is at capacity I've never seen them fully staff a quick service restaurant in the last 15-20 years.

raven24

But that's just it.

Disneyland fired thousands and thousands of CM's in the last year. Many are never coming back.

But we never saw teary Social Media from ride operators or churro girls or turnstile attendants. Only the professional actors seem to have put that kind of stuff up on their Social Media. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe!

If I'm off base on this one, that won't have been the first time. But it just seems eye-rolling to me when many thousands of other CM's also lost their jobs in the last year.
Do you honestly believe only stage CMs posted about their departure from Disneyland on social media?

Just because you haven’t personally seen one, it doesn’t mean such a post doesn’t exist. This woman can’t even express how she’s going to miss her JOB that was supplying an INCOME without folks like you coming to troll and make fun of her.

el_super

I think you are right that TDA will find a way to remove Lincoln. I don't think for a minute that the Walt Disney Company actually cares about following the ideals of its founder Walt Disney. At least in its current iteration it doesn't.

Find a way? What on earth do you mean? They can remove it if they want to. This isn't some protected public space or historical landmark. If they do end up removing it, it will be due to popularity. I also think it funny to evoke Walt's name and connect it with a desire to keep attractions in place, because I am old enough to remember that awkward tribute to the FREE MARKET that was in the old exit hallway at the opera house. Removing an attractions due to low popularity is the free market at work! It's what Walt would have wanted.

el_super

They already cut the number of staff members in QS restaurants in half YEARS ago. Even on days I've been where Disneyland is at capacity I've never seen them fully staff a quick service restaurant in the last 15-20 years.

And they will keep cutting staff as long as safety requirements demand it. What's wrong with being safe?

Captn EO

Find a way? What on earth do you mean? They can remove it if they want to. This isn't some protected public space or historical landmark. If they do end up removing it, it will be due to popularity. I also think it funny to evoke Walt's name and connect it with a desire to keep attractions in place, because I am old enough to remember that awkward tribute to the FREE MARKET that was in the old exit hallway at the opera house. Removing an attractions due to low popularity is the free market at work! It's what Walt would have wanted.
So Walt would have wanted them to remove his well crafted tribute to a man he idolized? Good grief. Not a chance.

MansionButler84

In the Parks
No
I find it humorous that they suggest waiting until you have park reservations (60 days out) before booking a hotel stay. What do they suggest DVC members do? 60 days out is laughable. The next time a studio is widely available is January 2022. Other room types have a night or two here and there and wide availability starting in November.

waltography

But that's just it.

You might not have seen social media from ride operators and the like, but they definitely exist; I couldn't scroll through certain parts of TikTok or Instagram for weeks after the shutdown first started without encountering parade performers saying goodbye (followed afterwards by attractions/meet and greet/photopass/dining CMs when layoffs started happening).

People are handling the pandemic and change best as they can; some are handling it better than others. It's better to just give them some space and empathy.

el_super

So Walt would have wanted them to remove his well crafted tribute to a man he idolized? Good grief. Not a chance.

You think Walt would have wanted, or paid for, a fully staffed theater to sit empty most of the day? Not a chance.

You clearly didnt even read my post about them cutting staff for the past two decades and it having nothing to do with the pandemic, which didnt even exist at that point.

Go ahead and defend the company for making more cuts.

You don't know why the cuts are made and clearly didn't read my post when I indicated it was for SAFETY and not necessarily the pandemic. In some cases cuts were made to reduce the number of bodies flying around in the kitchens in order to promote safety and reduce injuries. You are assuming that all cuts are made in order to save money, which isn't the case. Sometimes those changes ended up costing the company revenue. This isn't so much about trying to defend the company as it is trying to stop the manufactured drama.

MansionButler84

In the Parks
No
You think Walt would have wanted, or paid for, a fully staffed theater to sit empty most of the day? Not a chance.

You don't know why the cuts are made and clearly didn't read my post when I indicated it was for SAFETY and not necessarily the pandemic. In some cases cuts were made to reduce the number of bodies flying around in the kitchens in order to promote safety and reduce injuries. You are assuming that all cuts are made in order to save money, which isn't the case. Sometimes those changes ended up costing the company revenue. This isn't so much about trying to defend the company as it is trying to stop the manufactured drama.
I, for one, am impressed at how much they are planning to reopen at the start to give guests a worthwhile experience. This will cost a fortune to get back up and they certainly could have gone much cheaper thinking people would pay, regardless. Opening somewhere around 45 rides all at once after 14 months of not running them is ambitious. Let alone the shops and restaurants.

Captn EO

So they are removing CASH REGISTERS for safety? Is that a new CDC rule?

I'm not manufacturing drama, you are. I'm talking about the cuts that have existed for decades and you act like its such a great thing.

You want to talk safety? The people who have to wait an hour outside in a large crowd to get through security, or an hour to order quick service food on peak days (this was going on before any pandemic) are all at a high safety risk the longer they are grouped together and waiting.

I'm sure youre glad they cut the parking attendants in the toll booths in half in summer 2019, now they can retroactively say it was for safety.

I love when people defend Disney making their guests suffer.

Captn EO

I'm sure Walt Disney who has idolized Abraham Lincoln his entire life would say "my Lincoln show isn't as popular as a roller coaster, I'm going to throw Super Heroes in there instead so we can sell more toys"!

Stevek

And when you go back to Disneyland you can wear one of these “cool” shirts! Ugh, good old Mongello jumping on any opportunity make money 🤦🏻‍♂️ Just another reason I don’t always like bloggers/vloggers

0BECD779-6EEE-46C7-8471-FEBE6C32ADBD.jpeg

BayouShack

So they are removing CASH REGISTERS for safety? Is that a new CDC rule?

I'm not manufacturing drama, you are. I'm talking about the cuts that have existed for decades and you act like its such a great thing.

You want to talk safety? The people who have to wait an hour outside in a large crowd to get through security, or an hour to order quick service food on peak days (this was going on before any pandemic) are all at a high safety risk the longer they are grouped together and waiting.

I'm sure youre glad they cut the parking attendants in the toll booths in half in summer 2019, now they can retroactively say it was for safety.

I love when people defend Disney making their guests suffer.

-Cash is incredibly dirty, so yes, reducing cash use is healthy

-Locations don’t “lose” cast members to mobile ordering. The lost cashier positions become new food prep positions. Mobile ordering means more food needs to be made. In some locations, kitchen can reclaim cashier space. They can get more food out, and more different items out too.
Mobile ordering isn’t about reducing staffing, it’s about having the capacity to churn out more variety quicker.

Captn EO

-Cash is incredibly dirty, so yes, reducing cash use is healthy

-Locations don’t “lose” cast members to mobile ordering. The lost cashier positions become new food prep positions. Mobile ordering means more food needs to be made. In some locations, kitchen can reclaim cashier space. They can get more food out, and more different items out too.
Are they restricting payments to credit card only?

Mobile Ordering is great on light days, but on busy days I've personally seen Stage Door Cafe and Award Weiners turn into a mess.

I think the problem is they only have one employee tending to mobile order pickup and the places get overwhelmed fast.

An easy way to fix it would be to have the restaraunts prepare your order when you order it, and you select a pickup time, that way its ready to go.

The way it works now is you "place an order", show up to the location, click that "I'm Here", and then they actually start making the order.

Not sure if World is any different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Are they restricting payments to credit card only?

Mobile Ordering is great on light days, but on busy days I've personally seen Stage Door Cafe and Award Weiners turn into a mess.

I think the problem is they only have one employee tending to mobile order pickup and the places get overwhelmed fast.

An easy way to fix it would be to have the restaraunts prepare your order when you order it, and you select a pickup time, that way its ready to go.

The way it works now is you "place an order", show up to the location, click that "I'm Here", and then they actually start making the order.

Not sure if World is any different.
I would suspect that CC or mobile payment use are going to be pushed as the primary payment methods moving forward.

Your comments are based previous experiences with Mobile Order, which was still fairly new at the time, not on what they are planning for now.

The issue with your idea is that by the time the guest gets to pick up their food it could be potential cold or "old". Making it when they show up makes sure the food is warm and fresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom