Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

CaptinEO

You think Walt would have wanted, or paid for, a fully staffed theater to sit empty most of the day? Not a chance.
I'm sure Walt Disney who has idolized Abraham Lincoln his entire life would say "my Lincoln show isn't as popular as a roller coaster, I'm going to throw Super Heroes in there instead so we can sell more toys"!

Stevek

And when you go back to Disneyland you can wear one of these “cool” shirts! Ugh, good old Mongello jumping on any opportunity make money 🤦🏻‍♂️ Just another reason I don’t always like bloggers/vloggers

0BECD779-6EEE-46C7-8471-FEBE6C32ADBD.jpeg

BayouShack

So they are removing CASH REGISTERS for safety? Is that a new CDC rule?

I'm not manufacturing drama, you are. I'm talking about the cuts that have existed for decades and you act like its such a great thing.

You want to talk safety? The people who have to wait an hour outside in a large crowd to get through security, or an hour to order quick service food on peak days (this was going on before any pandemic) are all at a high safety risk the longer they are grouped together and waiting.

I'm sure youre glad they cut the parking attendants in the toll booths in half in summer 2019, now they can retroactively say it was for safety.

I love when people defend Disney making their guests suffer.

-Cash is incredibly dirty, so yes, reducing cash use is healthy

-Locations don’t “lose” cast members to mobile ordering. The lost cashier positions become new food prep positions. Mobile ordering means more food needs to be made. In some locations, kitchen can reclaim cashier space. They can get more food out, and more different items out too.
Mobile ordering isn’t about reducing staffing, it’s about having the capacity to churn out more variety quicker.

CaptinEO

-Cash is incredibly dirty, so yes, reducing cash use is healthy

-Locations don’t “lose” cast members to mobile ordering. The lost cashier positions become new food prep positions. Mobile ordering means more food needs to be made. In some locations, kitchen can reclaim cashier space. They can get more food out, and more different items out too.
Are they restricting payments to credit card only?

Mobile Ordering is great on light days, but on busy days I've personally seen Stage Door Cafe and Award Weiners turn into a mess.

I think the problem is they only have one employee tending to mobile order pickup and the places get overwhelmed fast.

An easy way to fix it would be to have the restaraunts prepare your order when you order it, and you select a pickup time, that way its ready to go.

The way it works now is you "place an order", show up to the location, click that "I'm Here", and then they actually start making the order.

Not sure if World is any different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Mobile Ordering is great on light days, but on busy days I've personally seen Stage Door Cafe and Award Weiners turn into a mess.

I think the problem is they only have one employee tending to mobile order pickup and the places get overwhelmed fast.

An easy way to fix it would be to have the restaraunts prepare your order when you order it, and you select a pickup time, that way its ready to go.

The way it works now is you "place an order", show up to the location, click that "I'm Here", and then they actually start making the order.

I would suspect that CC or mobile payment use are going to be pushed as the primary payment methods moving forward.

Your comments are based previous experiences with Mobile Order, which was still fairly new at the time, not on what they are planning for now.

The issue with your idea is that by the time the guest gets to pick up their food it could be potential cold or "old". Making it when they show up makes sure the food is warm and fresh.

DavidDL

..But we never saw teary Social Media from ride operators or churro girls or turnstile attendants. Only the professional actors seem to have put that kind of stuff up on their Social Media. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe!..

Well, I obviously can't speak for "we". If you haven't seen it, then you haven't seen it but just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not there. You may just not be looking in the right areas or be connected to people who care enough. Like I said, it's not going to be the case for every churro cart CM or stage hand working at the resort. But of course someone whose working towards a career in the field of theatre and acting is going to try and have more of a visible social media presence. Frankly, their entire career is staked on making sure they get as much exposure as possible. Of course you're going to see their tear-y eyed farewell post on Instagram before you see the churro cart CM's. You wouldn't, unless you were connected to their inner circle or family of co-workers.

But I'm still Facebook friends with a lot of my old New Orleans Square/Critter Country co-workers because they were my work family for 5 years of my life. I see their emotions on display when things like this happen to them and by extension, to those around them who were working at the resort. I've had heartbreaking discussions with (now) former CMs who were let go. Some of which had been mistreated or unhappy in their former occupations and had finally found some sense of purpose/mental-well being who were devastated that they'd now have to return to what they did before because they were only thing hiring. Over this past year I've seen everything from tears from low level CMs losing their jobs or co-workers to COVID, to now finally, posts and messages of celebration from those who managed to hang on about their impending return.

It's happened with all sorts of jobs, not just Disney. -and yes, it's happened well before COVID. I studied for 5 years of my life for a career that myself and others were finally able to obtain, worked it for 2 years, then had everything "violently" ripped away when the studio decided to close down and move out of country. No one got any work done that day. Lots of people were crying and emotions were high. That's normal. If you care. Like, at all. I'm sorry if you've never had a career you've cared enough about to realize that. Or maybe you've just been blessed enough to not have it happen to you. Not everyone can have that experience.

But if you're working at the resort as a Guest Control CM (for example), battling waves of crowds with a smile on your face, a manager hanging out in their cushy upstairs cubicle above the River Belle Terrace wouldn't get to tell you that you're important piece of the resort and that you should behave a certain way/up to a certain standard one day, then let you know after you're let go due to COVID that whatever emotions you might be feeling are overly dramatic or cringe-worthy.

So why should you? Especially if you're demanding a certain level out of them. Instead of thinking inwardly about how you feel the way other people should or shouldn't be acting, try thinking about them and about they way they feel.

BayouShack

They want as much mobile ordering as they can get. It’s still growing so each location is figuring it out. There’s so a ratio locations set to prioritize mobile orders versus location orders, and it keeps moving.

There’s also the psychological element. Management might say to keep the mobile order wait no longer than x minutes, but the cast member actually down in the kitchen is going to have a lot more difficult time with a guest who is already there than one ordering on the phone. You can imagine how angry the Karens who order at location get when they’re still waiting for their food 20 minutes later while mobile orders get their food. So there’s a push and a pull to things. It’s just hard to say no, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc, etc.

Scheduling, if anything, overstaffs, and leaves it up to the locations to offer additional days off depending on business needs on the day of.

I wouldn’t say it’s some top down mandate to cut staff, especially since understaffing at food and merch hurts the company financially.

Last edited:

DavidDL

It's attractions like these that really demonstrate why Disneyland is considered to be the best in the business. I mean, you won't be able to find a better themed staircase anywhere.

It could only happen at Disneyland!

Agree. ;)

As it stands, Chip and Dale's treehouse is the gold standard for themed staircases when compared to other, big-draw attractions like this:

nara34.jpg

Nara Dreamland's rusted staircase to nowhere, circa 2004.

el_super

So they are removing CASH REGISTERS for safety? Is that a new CDC rule?

I'm not manufacturing drama, you are. I'm talking about the cuts that have existed for decades and you act like its such a great thing.

What I am trying to communicate to you, is that you don't fully know or understand what the nature of what you see as a "cut" is, so you can't reasonably make the assumption that it's good or bad. I am guessing you perceive all these cuts as simple cost saving measures, and that's why you are automatically assuming they are all bad. That's the wrong assumption to make.

I love when people defend Disney making their guests suffer.

If they were really suffering, they wouldn't go so much, would they? I guess you would have to admit that all these complaints about cutting cashiers and service will be moot now that the park won't be flooded with cheap local discounted admissions. Problem solved right?

I'm sure Walt Disney who has idolized Abraham Lincoln his entire life would say "my Lincoln show isn't as popular as a roller coaster, I'm going to throw Super Heroes in there instead so we can sell more toys"!

Walt removed attractions during his time at the park. If something doesn't play, there's no point in keeping it around.

el_super

They want as much mobile ordering as they can get. It’s still growing so each location is figuring it out. There’s so a ratio locations set to prioritize mobile orders versus location orders, and it keeps moving.

Let me also add that some locations, like Stage Door, there isn't a lot of room for running an efficient mobile ordering operation. Some of these venues were built 40 to 50 years ago, and there's only so much you can do without tearing the whole place down and starting from scratch. The single aisle "bar" setup at Stage Door and Golden Horseshoe are not conducive to adding more people to the setup to gain efficiencies.

It’s just hard to say no, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc, etc.

AND additionally, part of the issue will be custom orders. If a place like Ronto Roasters is just pumping out Ronto Wraps, there's nothing too complicated about the mobile order process. They wait for the guest to show up, pull a Wrap from the display and hand it to them. If the kitchen has to stop to make a custom order, which in some instances means completely swapping out utensils, equipment and wiping down counters, the whole operation grinds to a halt.

I get that it can be frustrating, but I would rather sacrifice a couple minutes of my time in order to make sure someone who needs an accommodation can be satisfied.

Scheduling, if anything, overstaffs, and leaves it up to the locations to offer additional days off depending on business needs on the day of.

I wouldn’t say it’s some top down mandate to cut staff, especially since understaffing at food and merch hurts the company financially.

Exactly the point. They have a financial interest in pumping out product and getting people through as quickly as possible. Usually when changes are made that result in a perceive decrease in capacity or service, it's because the alternative was a higher risk.

Darkbeer1

Some theme/amusement parks are going cashless.

Inside the park in multiple locations are no-fee machines that takes cash and will dispense a pre-paid debit card.

And while they are using COVID as the reason, management has been looking to do this for years.

Not issuing cash drawers, and processing them at the end of the day, eliminating cashier errors, plus the extra time it takes to make change, etc.

Security concerns in the transfer of the drawers to/from the location.

It is a money saver.

The one concern was losing "impulse" sales, but with COVID, the cashless won.

Stevek

Some theme/amusement parks are going cashless.

Inside the park in multiple locations are no-fee machines that takes cash and will dispense a pre-paid debit card.

And while they are using COVID as the reason, management has been looking to do this for years.

Not issuing cash drawers, and processing them at the end of the day, eliminating cashier errors, plus the extra time it takes to make change, etc.

Security concerns in the transfer of the drawers to/from the location.

It is a money saver.

The one concern was losing "impulse" sales, but with COVID, the cashless won.
And keep in mind that Disney actually could make a bit of money on this...how many times have folks gotten a debit/gift card and didn't use that last $1.19...everytime that happens, Disney pockets that.

Darkbeer1

And keep in mind that Disney actually could make a bit of money on this...how many times have folks gotten a debit/gift card and didn't use that last $1.19...everytime that happens, Disney pockets that.

The parks like Six Flags are issuing Visa/Mastercard, so they don't have to deal with the California rule that if the amount left is under $10, that the consumer can request the balance in cash, which defeats the system.

CaptinEO

I would suspect that CC or mobile payment use are going to be pushed as the primary payment methods moving forward.

Your comments are based previous experiences with Mobile Order, which was still fairly new at the time, not on what they are planning for now.

The issue with your idea is that by the time the guest gets to pick up their food it could be potential cold or "old". Making it when they show up makes sure the food is warm and fresh.
I used mobile order quite a bit, even during the pandemic at California Adventure.

I personally disagree theres any issue with my method as I mentioned you select a pick up time (time availability is dynamically changed based on how many orders are in the queue etc). If someone can't manage their own time it's on them.

Have you not ordered take out from a restaraunt before? You call in advance to save yourself time
waiting in person.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I used mobile order quite a bit, even during the pandemic at California Adventure.

I personally disagree theres any issue with my method as I mentioned you select a pick up time (time availability is dynamically changed based on how many orders are in the queue etc). If someone can't manage their own time it's on them.

Have you not ordered take out from a restaraunt before? You call in advance to save yourself time
waiting in person.
I understand your points, I just don't agree with you.

When you have complaints about cold or stale tasting food the "its their problem because they didn't pick it up in time" doesn't fly at a Disney Park.

The idea of Mobile Order was never billed like its "Takeout for Disney Parks". But rather that you're ordering ahead to skip the standing in ordering lines thus saving time. Even says on the description of the service - "Once you’re in the vicinity of the dining location during your chosen arrival time, let us know you’re ready for us to prepare your order with a tap of a button in the app. Then, find an open spot to unwind. You’ll receive a notification from the app when your food is ready."

The trick I've used in the past is that I click "I'm Here" when I'm on my way, rather than actually physically being at the location. That way by the time I get there the food is either ready or its a short wait of less than 5 mins. It works most of the time, only rarely have I had to wait longer than 5 mins.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
@TP2000 I’m honestly shocked you decided to show up and defend yourself. I now realize you probably don’t empathize with incredibly talented performers who poured their heart and soul EVERY SINGLE DAY into these shows. And as a self admitted “theatre kid”, I can confirm firsthand that my fellow castmembers, in various troupes and programs, both on and off stage, are people I still communicate with nearly A DECADE after the final curtain call. I even have an example. This past year, COVID brutally robbed us of the chance to give a send off to the outgoing senior class in our thespian troupe, and it was an absolute shame. I had worked with them nonstop for two years on four different shows. These people were just a couple of goofs who I could talk to, crack jokws with, and most importantly, be myself. They ARE family to me, and I refuse to let a callous, mean, cold-hearted jackass say any different.

castleparker

@TP2000 I’m honestly shocked you decided to show up and defend yourself. I now realize you probably don’t empathize with incredibly talented performers who poured their heart and soul EVERY SINGLE DAY into these shows. And as a self admitted “theatre kid”, I can confirm firsthand that my fellow castmembers, in various troupes and programs, both on and off stage, are people I still communicate with nearly A DECADE after the final curtain call. I even have an example. This past year, COVID brutally robbed us of the chance to give a send off to the outgoing senior class in our thespian troupe, and it was an absolute shame. I had worked with them nonstop for two years on four different shows. These people were just a couple of goofs who I could talk to, crack jokws with, and most importantly, be myself. They ARE family to me, and I refuse to let a callous, mean, cold-hearted jackass say any different.
The only person TP is capable of empathizing with is the bartender from Montana.

truecoat

That seems cringey to me for a show and role designed to be temporary and fleeting, particularly when thousands of other CM's who have worked at Disneyland for many years (decades) longer than the Frozen show has been around were laid off in the last six months. :(
The temporary and fleeting existence of
Disney's Aladdin:
A Musical Spectacular

Opening dateJanuary 16, 2003
Closing dateJanuary 11, 2016

Old Mouseketeer

Okay. I have no idea who that girl is/was. Her Social Media post came up at the top of a page on a general Google search when I was double-checking that the Frozen show had indeed been closed and its equipment removed from the theater, per an earlier conversation.

That person put that out on Social Media for the world to see. I didn't hack into her protected Facebook photos and cut and paste it. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe.

My point is that thousands and thousands of CM's have been fired in the last few months. Entire departments were wiped out. And suddenly there's actresses from theme park stage shows putting teary photos up on public Social Media? That seems cringey to me for a show and role designed to be temporary and fleeting, particularly when thousands of other CM's who have worked at Disneyland for many years (decades) longer than the Frozen show has been around were laid off in the last six months. :(

Seriously now, you need to stop digging. Willful ignorance is not a pretty look for anyone.

1. There is a vast difference between skilled professionals who have invested time, effort, and money to achieve a level of proficiency and entry-level workers who last a year or two. I have been both in the theme park industry and I absolutely understand the difference. I have worked in attractions and I can assure you that "pushing the green button" is not a career. I have had professional positions that make four times as much and there is a vast distance between the two. Disney dancers, singers, and instrumentalists have invested a big portion of their lives in lessons, practice, performing, auditioning, coaching, and maintaining their bodies and skills. Entry level CMs have a drivers license, social security number, and a pulse.

2. No, there have not been "thousands and thousands of CMs" fired in the last few months. There have been thousands of CMs laid off, which is vastly different. Laid off workers are entitled to unemployment compensation, positive rehire status, and right-of-return. Disney is required to recall them before hiring any new workers off the street for that job classification. In addition, for furloughed workers (who are being recalled even as we speak), Disney has been paying 100% of their healthcare including the employee portion and flex spending.

Look, I have very close friend who was an usher at Fantasyland Theater. She is extremely sad that Magical Map closed. She loved working that venue. This was not just another work venue for her. She has years of experience working some of the biggest attractions in the park, but none gave her the level of satisfaction of FLT. She also has years of experience in theater (including starring in a community theater production) and this week said that absolutely there is a difference between her job and the performers. Her response to your blather would violate site guidelines. I will, however, admit that "the horse you rode in on" and "where the sun don't shine" were prominently featured.

I know that none of this will make any difference. You've been told repeatedly and none of it is getting through. So keep digging. And when you get to China, enjoy Shanghai Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom