Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

SplashGhost

I wouldn't say there's a strong argument there- let's not forget about Gadget's Go Coaster or Winnie the Pooh.

Gadget's is actual fun for a kiddie coaster when there isn't a line, and Pooh has some good air conditioning. I'm 6'4" and mildly claustrophobic so that is a large reason for my dislike of the subs. I could handle them for 5 minutes, but the ride is way too long for me not to be completely miserable on it.

waltography

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the 3-day parkhopper deal they had. May as well treat myself as a late-graduation/early-job present. 😂 Only shame is that restaurant reservations are a mess/nonexistent, so will be subsisting off a lot of quick service for the first two trips at least.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I assume children enjoy Pooh and Gadget's Go-Coaster. IMO Pooh actually has some charm and is kind of underrated (though obviously egregiously underfunded), and GGC is a throwaway but totally harmless.

Do kids enjoy the subs? Does anyone, really? Not, like, the idea of the subs, or the history behind them, or Marty Sklar's legacy or something -- but are there people who actually think it's a quality attraction?

SplashGhost

I assume children enjoy Pooh and Gadget's Go-Coaster. IMO Pooh actually has some charm and is kind of underrated (though obviously egregiously underfunded), and GGC is a throwaway but totally harmless.

Do kids enjoy the subs? Does anyone, really? Not, like, the idea of the subs, or the history behind them, or Marty Sklar's legacy or something -- but are there people who actually think it's a quality attraction?

I like the idea of the Subs, but I find the attraction itself to be terrible. I understand wanting to keep certain things for the history of the park, but Autopia and the Subs take up a significant chunk of land in a park with very little room to expand.

cr3346

Heading to San Diego at the beginning of August for a week and was wondering if it was worth driving up to Disneyland for the day? Sorry for the dumb questions, but is mostly everything open? What's current capacity like? I've been to DCA before, but not DL. Thanks!

PiratesMansion

Exactly. No one actually likes the current attraction, they just like the idea of the subs. This is extraordinarily obvious when you read actual feedback, in which people will talk about how nice it was just being in the subs and nostalgia, etc, but say little to nothing about the quality of what's there now.

I want the subs to stay, but they deserve better than the mediocre Nemo attraction they've hosted since their return.

fctiger

I know I'm in the tiny minority but I wish they just did away with both the Nemo and subs and just did something completely new at this point. Subs are about as 'futuristic' as color TVs today. I don't want to lose the lagoon or ride area but just turn it into something more Fantasy land based. Of course sadly doing something like the TLM is out of the question these days but you can come up with something more interesting and unique.

PiratesMansion

I know I'm in the tiny minority but I wish they just did away with both the Nemo and subs and just did something completely new at this point. Subs are about as 'futuristic' as color TVs today. I don't want to lose the lagoon or ride area but just turn it into something more Fantasy land based. Of course sadly doing something like the TLM is out of the question these days but you can come up with something more interesting and unique.
The subs may not be futuristic but riding in a sub in any capacity isn't an everyday experience for most people. It is something special about Disneyland that is difficult to find or replicate elsewhere.

As much as I could absolutely see Disney just ripping it out and doing Fantasyland 3.0 or wherever we are with that, the subs and the lagoon are pretty squarely in Tomorrowland in my eyes. Not that Nemo itself belongs, really, but I shudder to imagine what today's Disney would replace it with.

fctiger

The subs may not be futuristic but riding in a sub in any capacity isn't an everyday experience for most people. It is something special about Disneyland that is difficult to find or replicate elsewhere.

As much as I could absolutely see Disney just ripping it out and doing Fantasyland 3.0 or wherever we are with that, the subs and the lagoon are pretty squarely in Tomorrowland in my eyes. Not that Nemo itself belongs, really, but I shudder to imagine what today's Disney would replace it with.

I'm not saying rip out the lagoon at all, I'm only saying build a more modern ride vehicle and story to fit. The underwater aspect is very unique in itself, doing it in old cooped up subs though doesn't really add much these days. And sure not everyone get to experience being in a submarine, but you can say that about a lot of things. And the fact is the subs has not been a 'must see' ride since the early 80s. By the time the original subs were closing the ride was getting 5-10 minute waits all year. Thirty minutes tops in only the busiest times. It's a reason why it was shut down in the first place.

I would love for something more modern like what the vehicles they have with 20,000 Leagues under the Sea at TDS for example. That's a great ride, done it many times, although the irony is you're not in water, just simulated via the vehicles. But something like that would be a lot more fun to have, without feeling so claustrophobic in the process. And the funny thing is that ride would feel at home in either TL or FL. But no not holding my breath it will ever happen (no pun intended ;)).

fctiger

I agree that subs are not exactly futuristic, but a thrilling, scary, awe-inspiring underwater adventure seems like a perfect Disneyland attraction, regardless of the land it's in. "Here in Tomorrowland, we have the technology to take everyday people deep into the ocean." There we go.

Again I'm not talking about the actual underwater experience, I'm saying the ride vehicles themselves can be traded for something more modern or unique. They just feel too old fashioned and not in a good way. There are so many more things they can do with that lagoon but yeah that would takes tons of money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom