Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

CaptinEO

Reminds me of this photo I took on Dec. 21, 2018 at 8:33am. I got sooooo much done that morning.

View attachment 564936
Everyone should ropedrop Disneyland at least once. When you are the first and only people to be in a land it feels surreal.

I remember us walking up to the Matterhorn and that whole area around it (between Matterhorn and Tommorowland ) was empty, as in zero people.

mickEblu

Everyone should ropedrop Disneyland at least once. When you are the first and only people to be in a land it feels surreal.

I remember us walking up to the Matterhorn and that whole area around it (between Matterhorn and Tommorowland ) was empty, as in zero people.

I don’t understand why I didn’t rope drop or at least get to the park earlier more often. I was an AP for 7 years and I rope dropped twice. I would usually get to the park around 1-2pm when crowds were already ugly. Guess I really prioritized sleeping in.

CaptinEO

I don’t understand why I didn’t rope drop or at least get to the park earlier more often. I was an AP for 7 years and I rope dropped twice. I would usually get to the park around 1-2pm when crowds were already ugly. Guess I really prioritized sleeping in.
Everyone is different. I used to live two hours away and would get in around rope drop most times. Don't know how I did it.

waltography

Everyone is different. I used to live two hours away and would get in around rope drop most times. Don't know how I did it.
Hear, hear. Before I was an AP, I'd go maybe one day a year to Disneyland and basically did rope drop 'til close to really get my money's worth. Dead tired after those trips but so worth it.

Post-AP, I'd still do rope drop (only an hour-ish away) but would leave the parks by 6pm because there'd always be a next time. (To be fair, that's also how I did pandemic Disneyland too, but that's because the limited capacity made it so we'd finish all the big rides by like 2pm.)

MarvelCharacterNerd

That's special for sure, but I'll still always be jealous of the wonderful welcome show at the train station that Magic Kingdom used to have first thing in the morning - to me, being greeting by all those characters traveling in by train to welcome the guests to the park for the day was just... yes... magical. :) Never understood why DL didn't do the same.

el_super

But I can't see them sitting by during the Labor Day to mid-November period, while the weekday crowds are non-existent.

My prediction is we'll get some sort of announcement around the 1st week of September

Just to point out though: bringing back APs isn't the only option on the table for them. They can still offer limited-time discounts for single-day admissions to bring in more people. Something like the So Cal Resident Salutes or the Two-fers they had previously. They also have the really old school method of just closing the park earlier. They could go back to a off-season weekday schedule of 10-6 as they had for decades.

It is going to be interesting to see what ends up happening. I would certainly think that they realized changing the AP culture would be a multi-year process and giving up just a few months in would seem a little counterproductive, but if attendance is really that bad, they might.

I do miss pandemic Disneyland where rope drop wasn't a thing. Is there a logistical reason why rope drop happens?

Well, the short answer is that it allowed them to let people into Main Street a little early, so they can spend money and get some coffee and breakfast. Same concept with keeping Main Street open an hour later.

SoCalDisneyLover

So by August, Fireworks, Parades, Fantasmic, World Of Color, Fastpass, will all probably be back.

I still think that portends the new membership program by September.

In the past, Passholders had a head start on booking Oogie Boogie Bash tickets. Unless they don't intend to do that this year, or they don't want that offered to Legacy passholders, they'll need the new program set up by the time those tickets go onsale.

PiratesMansion

That's special for sure, but I'll still always be jealous of the wonderful welcome show at the train station that Magic Kingdom used to have first thing in the morning - to me, being greeting by all those characters traveling in by train to welcome the guests to the park for the day was just... yes... magical. :) Never understood why DL didn't do the same.
I'm super happy DL never did that. Being forced to wait in the tiny area between the tunnels and the turnstiles, packed in like sardines when it's already plenty hot and humid, and being forced to watch that show so that MK wouldn't have to pay to staff Main Street (which started during the post-9/11 slump)...was miserable. The show was absolutely not good enough to have to deal with that.

I'm so, so happy they went back to the way DL, DLP, and HK do it-the way it's supposed to be done. There's still a show, but now you can have a proper rope drop. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

the_rich

FYI for those requesting Maxpass refunds. Per Disney rep on the chat feature via the app, it is taking 6-8 weeks to process the Maxpass refunds they are receiving.

To request a refund, go to the disneyland.com website, scroll down to the bottom of the page, under "Contact us", choose "Email". That will bring up a form to fill out to send a message requesting the refund. In the "Subject" drop down the very last option in the list is "Disney Maxpass Refunds". Choose that and ask to be refunded for the Maxpass you purchased on your tickets. Don't expect to hear anything from them though until the refund is processed in 6-8 weeks.

Also something I learned today is for those that would still like the Photopass option, but no longer have it due to the Maxpass feature being removed at this time, you can purchase it on the app for $20 a day. BUT if you are going for 4+ days, there is an option to purchase Photopass that is good for a week for $78 on the website.

Go to My Disneyland from the website and sign in. Then choose My Photos, then Photo Products, and that will give you the option to buy it for a week. It will save me $22, so glad I found out about this!
Finally got a reply from Disney. I have to reply to it with the bar code from each ticket. Then in 6-8 weeks I will get another email with a virtual gift card for the amount.

DLR>WDW

Disneyland Park just rope dropped an hour early!

19F96162-03F8-45B6-B346-FC150B6437FF.jpeg

SplashGhost

I am about to break down and buy a 4 day ticket to use over a couple of weeks, since I don't think the new memberships are launching in the next couple of months. I really wish they gave you more than 14 days to use the multi-day tickets, if I had a month, I would definitely get a 5 day one.

Animaniac93-98

I hate how it's almost July and we don't know anything about what's happening in September with HallowenTime. Will we be spared HHM? Will Oggie Boogie Bash happen in some form?

I'd like more than a week's notice, Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom