News Disneyland offers $99 summer parkhopper ticket deals to annual passholders - OCRegister

WDW Pro

"Today the Leads in Attractions and other Ops departments Resortwide have been ordered to slash labor and staffing any way possible. Management is in FULL FREAK OUT PANIC MODE over the extremely low crowds for the entire Resort that has daily two-park attendance being revised down by tens of thousands plus the lack of demand to get into SW:GE. I had an old school reliable manager tell me today that everyone is pointing fingers at each other. Ops leadership is pointing fingers at Marketing for scaring everyone away, and Marketing leadership is pointing fingers back at Ops for telling them to scare everyone away. That same manager also told me that there are WDW managers here this week observing SW:GE and they can't believe what they are seeing, with perfect mild weather and low crowds for a land everyone thought would be the next best thing to reincarnating Walt.

There's a twice daily management meeting held now at DL. It was set up back in May because they thought they would need to be responding to huge crowds, a closed land with long lines, and upset Guests. But instead the daily meetings are being used to determine just how much attendance has been downgraded for the day and how much labor they can cut as quickly as possible. I've never seen park management this freaked out before. The fear is real." -- Westsider

-- Link Removed due to request from WDWMagic Mod --

Westsider is an insider on that forum just like Marni is an insider over here.

This post is in response to quite a few individuals who went beyond asking for the source, and instead mocked me, laughed at the info, and called the claim a type of bovine excrement.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"Today the Leads in Attractions and other Ops departments Resortwide have been ordered to slash labor and staffing any way possible. Management is in FULL FREAK OUT PANIC MODE over the extremely low crowds for the entire Resort that has daily two-park attendance being revised down by tens of thousands plus the lack of demand to get into SW:GE. I had an old school reliable manager tell me today that everyone is pointing fingers at each other. Ops leadership is pointing fingers at Marketing for scaring everyone away, and Marketing leadership is pointing fingers back at Ops for telling them to scare everyone away. That same manager also told me that there are WDW managers here this week observing SW:GE and they can't believe what they are seeing, with perfect mild weather and low crowds for a land everyone thought would be the next best thing to reincarnating Walt.

There's a twice daily management meeting held now at DL. It was set up back in May because they thought they would need to be responding to huge crowds, a closed land with long lines, and upset Guests. But instead the daily meetings are being used to determine just how much attendance has been downgraded for the day and how much labor they can cut as quickly as possible. I've never seen park management this freaked out before. The fear is real." -- Westsider

This post is in response to quite a few individuals who went beyond asking for the source, and instead mocked me, laughed at the info, and called the claim a type of bovine excrement.

We all know where this came from, MC. While I don't doubt resortwide meetings being had by all about attendance, Westsider tends to be very hyperbolic from what I seen over the years.

Anyways, thanks.

Animaniac93-98

Remember when Bob Iger was like "we'll just say it's open on twitter and the crowds will show up"?

Galaxy's Edge was supposed to be his final parks and resorts success story as CEO before leaving. The definitive proof that Disney's strategy of integrating IP in the parks over anything else with their alleged #1 IP (that they spent $4 billion to get) would turn out to be Disneyland's biggest attendance and revenue boost ever. IMO, the lackluster opening is an even bigger embarrassment for the company than Solo becoming the first Star Wars movie not to turn a profit at the box office.

Californian Elitist

There's nothing there now and it's downright disrespectful - hardly nostalgic.

And they care even less now.

Look I get you both have some vendetta against Disney for zapping away your personal nostalgia, so there isn't really any argument to be had here. But if you didn't like what was happening to the parks before and during Star Wars, things will only get worse if this doesn't perform well.

Nothing good comes out of SWL performing below expectations. Get ready for less upkeep, less cast members, reduced entertainment, etc and still higher prices...

Okay.

JD2000

Thank you for posting that.

I sure hope they don’t react too quickly and severely. As I said before, you never know what could happen tomorrow, people may have just stayed away thus far to see how crowded it would be.

WDW Pro

We all know where this came from, MC. While I don't doubt resortwide meetings being had by all about attendance, Westsider tends to be very hyperbolic from what I seen over the years.

Anyways, thanks.

I had another acquaintance who confirmed this was happening, but as far as I know Westsider is the only person who has made it public. His statement about "full freakout mode" is a bit of editorializing, but there definitely is anxiety inside the main offices... and partially because you can't spin photos or YouTube videos of an empty new expansion.

WDW Pro

Thank you for posting that.

I sure hope they don’t react too quickly and severely. As I said before, you never know what could happen tomorrow, people may have just stayed away thus far to see how crowded it would be.

My understanding is that the twice daily meetings are in place so that they can dynamically adjust each day. If the "bring a friend" 55% ticket reduction doesn't change the pattern, then more concrete, season-wide decisions will be made.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I had another acquaintance who confirmed this was happening, but as far as I know Westsider is the only person who has made it public. His statement about "full freakout mode" is a bit of editorializing, but there definitely is anxiety inside the main offices... and partially because you can't spin photos or YouTube videos of an empty new expansion.
Like I said I have no doubts they are having daily, even twice daily, meetings about attendance, the AP "bring your friend" offer proves it. I'm just saying Westsider does a LOT of "editorializing", so take it with a grain of salt and wade through the hyperbolic comments.

Mouse Trap

Allow these incompetent Imagineers to make changes to a park they don't understand... or let the park remain stagnant while it stills remains good... hmm, I wonder which I would prefer?

Stagnant? No...

Disney isn’t going to stop adding, they’ll just get cheaper with their additions. If you’re wishing for the worse with SWL you won’t be getting stagnant, you’ll be getting more penny-pinching overlays and shoehorned additions cheapening the quality of the park. Disney will rush in and drop a nice quick and cost efficient IP blanket right on top of your favorite area of the park.

No good will come if SWL tanks.

fctiger

I lean more towards it being a combination of #1 and a campaign to keep people away, either through increased AP blackouts and a host of previews talking about how slammed the parks were going to be when the land opened. For example, I have a Deluxe pass, but I'm blocked out right now when normally I would have availability, and I'm not planning on upgrading to a Signature until August when my pass is up. This new deal might get me to go earlier to check things out, but I would assume the vast majority of APs are at the very least intrigued by SWL and want to go; they're just unable to at the moment.

Funny this post is exactly I argued on the 'other' site. I think its a combination of a ton of Apers being blocked out but most not willing to either upgrade to a higher AP or buy a day pass to see the new land because its either not enticing enough or they are just waiting for ROTR to open as well.

I have a Signature AP and in fact got it WITH GE in mind. It ends next week. We have already decided to renew because things are so quiet and not the complete chaos we thought the summer would be although yeah I suspect that won't last all summer either. And I guess this sounds a bit nuts but I rather buy a $1,000 pass than I would a $150 day pass. For one thing I'm getting two parks out of it and its nice to go anytime I want except Christmas which I don't want to go anyway. But I ask myself if I was blocked out, what would I have done? I probably would've bought a day pass to see it once but that would've been it until my pass let me go again.

And it sounds like that's what Disney is betting on and that every one who is blocked out may go for this deal. $99 for two parks as opposed to $149 for one just feels like a more viable option if you are interested in seeing GE instead of waiting a few months.

Figments Friend

So...

Anyone think they might lift the blocked APs in a desperation move to get people into the Park?
If that happens, I'd view that as a major red flag that something is definitely 'not quite right'.

-

TROR

So...

Anyone think they might lift the blocked APs in a desperation move to get people into the Park?
If that happens, I'd view that as a major red flag that something is definitely 'not quite right'.

-
Well, after the recent change to allow AP's to bring up to three friends, then the parks would be overcrowded beyond belief. If they did, they'd have another kind of problem on their hands.

BrianLo

As funny as the narrative would be that SW:GE is so terrible that it is decreasing crowds... don’t sink to that level people. Even freaking Pixar Pier could drive crowds... even a half opening shopping mall with an 80’s simulator could at least sustain them.

This is on marketing and the media (and us) who for years and years blabbered on about how crazy busy and unbearable the place would be. People listened and stayed away as they were told.

We’ve seen this before, this is what Eisner did to Disneyland Paris.

The crowds will be back. The vacationers will be suppressed through the summer though. TDO is totally going to make the opposite mistake though and WDW will be unbearable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom