Disneyland Maine: Revitalized

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
All right, what say we start going on some of the rides here at Disneyland, eh?

===========================================================================

westcot2_plazaillustrative.jpg

A new day dawns in the great north. We once again find ourselves in Disney Square, main hub of the Disneyland Maine Resort. Naturally, the music heard here is an atmospheric collection of orchestrated Disney favorites meant to set a tone for the adventure ahead. Seasonally, the music will change to reflect the holiday of Halloween or Christmas. Halloween, in particular, is heavy on vocalists and pulls from the original source material. Of course, those holiday loops will come at a later time. For now, let me share with you the regular music loop...

* = indicates a selection from Disney's Orchestra Collection
** = indicates a selection from the WDW Today 2015 loop
*** = indicates a selection from the 1991-2005 Magic Kingdom entrance area music
**** = indicates original instrumental

All selections from other sources will be marked in a parenthetical. Any selection taken straight from the soundtrack will have nothing after it.

Disney Square Area Music (January-August)
1. "A Whole New World" - Alan Menken & Tim Rice, Aladdin
(found here)
2. "Mickey Mouse Club March" - Jimmie Dodd, The Mickey Mouse Club ***
3. "You've Got a Friend in Me" - Randy Newman, Toy Story ****
4. "Winnie the Pooh" - The Sherman Brothers, Winnie the Pooh *
5. "Heigh Ho" - Frank Churchill & Larry Morey, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ***
6. "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!" - Sammy Cahn & Sammy Fain, Peter Pan ***
7. "Circle of Life" - Elton John & Tim Rice, The Lion King *
8. "Avengers Theme Suite" - Alan Silvestri, Avengers: Infinity War
9. "Bundle of Joy" - Michael Giacchino, Inside Out
10. "Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" - Buddy Baker & X. Atencio, Pirates of the Caribbean ****
11. "Nemo Egg" - Thomas Newman, Finding Nemo
12. "Le Festin" - Michael Giacchino, Ratatouille **
13. "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" - Allie Wrubel & Ray Gilbert, Song of the South *
14. "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" - The Sherman Brothers, Carousel of Progress ****
15. "New Horizons" - George Wilkins, Horizons ****
16. "So This is Love" - Mack David, Al Hoffmann & Jerry Livingston, Cinderella *
17. "Baroque Hoedown" - Jean Jacques Perry & Gershon Kingsley, Main Street Electrical Parade
18. "It's a Small World" - The Sherman Brothers, "it's a small world" ***
19. "Define Dancing" - Thomas Newman, WALL-E
20. "For the First Time in Forever" - Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Frozen **
21. "The Bare Necessities" - Terry Gilkyson, The Jungle Book ****
22. "Be Our Guest" - Alan Menken & Howard Ashman, Beauty and the Beast *
23. "Fantasmic! Exit Music" - Bruce Healey, Fantasmic!
24. "Soarin'" - Jerry Goldsmith, Soarin'
25. "Under the Sea" - Alan Menken & Howard Ashman, The Little Mermaid ***
26. "The Raiders March" - John Williams, Raiders of the Lost Ark
27. "I See the Light" - Alan Menken & Glenn Slater, Tangled
(found here)
28. "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers / Hip-Hip-Pooh-Ray" - The Sherman Brothers, Winnie the Pooh (found here, 20:34 to 25:20)
29. "Main Title" - John Williams, Star Wars
30. "Grim Grinning Ghosts" - Buddy Baker and X. Atencio, The Haunted Mansion ***
31. "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" - George Bruns & Thomas W. Blackburn, Davy Crockett ***
32. "Married Life" - Michael Giacchino, Up **
33. "Out There" - Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz, The Hunchback of Notre Dame ****
34. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - The Sherman Brothers, Mary Poppins *
35. "A Spoonful of Sugar" - The Sherman Brothers, Mary Poppins **
36. "You'll Be in My Heart" - Phil Collins, Tarzan
(found here)
37. "Once Upon a Dream" - Jack Lawrence & Sammy Fain, Sleeping Beauty **
38. "The Rainbow Connection" - Paul Williams, The Muppet Movie
(found here, 27:35 to the end)
39. "March of the Cards" - Oliver Wallace, Alice in Wonderland ***
40. "Chim-Chim-Cheree" - The Sherman Brothers, Mary Poppins *
41. "End Titles" - Danny Elfman, The Nightmare Before Christmas
42. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - Elton John & Tim Rice, The Lion King *
43. "Colors of the Wind" - Alan Menken & Stephen Schwartz, Pocahontas *
44. "One Little Spark" - The Sherman Brothers, Journey Into Imagination ****
45. "Go the Distance" - Alan Menken & David Zippel, Hercules *
46. "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" - Paul Dukas, Fantasia **
47. "Bella Notte" - Peggy Lee & Sonny Burke, Lady and the Tramp ***
48. "Transformation / Finale (w/o choir)" - Alan Menken, Beauty and the Beast
49. "Let's Go Fly a Kite" (w/o vocals & choir) - The Sherman Brothers, Mary Poppins
50. "When You Wish Upon a Star" - Ned Washington & Leigh Harline, Pinocchio ****

Now then, as I promised, this particular visit to Disneyland Park will highlight some particular rides and attractions. And where better to start than with the...

Disneyland Railroad

epr091738LARGE.jpg

On-board the Disneyland Railroad, we'll be given a scenic, grand-circle tour of this new iteration of the original Disneyland aboard one of four authentic steam engines: the Walter. E Disney, the Ward W. Kimball, the Ub. E Iwerks and the Richard F. Irvine. Our journey begins right here on Main Street, U.S.A. at Main Street Station. An exact of replica of the original Disneyland's Main Street Station, this friendly facade welcomes guests to Disneyland Park, its tunnels below sending them into the park for a day filled with fun. All of a sudden, we hear it...the call of a steam whistle and the chugging of wheels. The Disneyland Railroad has pulled into the station!

"Your attention please! The Disneyland Railroad, now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom, with stops at Frontierland and Discoveryland. All passengers, board!"

With that, we hop aboard the train, ready for a trip unlike any other. As we board, we hear the voice of one of those typical old-timers, one who's been on many a train and knows the way trains work and the local landscaping and color by heart. He gives us a friendly welcome.

"Hello, folks! Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad! We’re now embarking on a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom, with stops at Frontierland and Discoveryland—and featuring stops at the Grand Canyon, the Primeval World and Progress City. We got a lot of travelin’ ahead of us, so remember: for a safe trip, you need to stay seated, keeping your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the train. And please, watch your children."

"¡Hola todos! Bienvenido a bordo del Disneyland Railroad! Le llevaremos a una excursión de gran círculo del parque, con paradas en Frontierland y Discoveryland. Por su seguridad y la de otros, por favor permanezca sentado con las manos, los brazos, los pies y las piernas dentro del tren, y por favor asegúrese de vigilar a sus hijos. Gracias!"

As the train chuffs out, the country-laden twangs of "Casey Jr." from Dumbo (basically, an extended version of the song heard in the video above) fills our ears. This serves as underscore for our journey. As soon as we depart from Main Street Station, the voice of our guide comes on again.

"You know, I've been riding these rails for quite a spell, and I find there's no better place to travel than right here at Disneyland. By the way, we’re traveling on pure steam power. This old locomotive is descended from the mighty trains that powered the golden age of steam. And just like me, it’s a little old-fashioned", he says with a chuckle. Suddenly, a fierce roar sounds from out of nowhere.

"Golly! Did you hear that? Where else but at Disneyland can you travel from the charm of a turn-of-the-century American town to the untamed jungles of Africa, Asia, and South America? We're traveling through the wilds of Adventureland, where you might run into all sorts of savage creatures and mysterious locales. There's lions, tigers, tiki birds...heck, I've even heard tell there's a Haunted Mansion 'round these parts! And don't be surprised if you run into Captain Jack Sparrow while you're here. He’s hidin’ out among those scurrilous Pirates of the Caribbean. Everybody best be on the lookout—ya never know just what may show up. But if your travels bring you to Adventureland today, be sure you come with an extra dose of bravery."

992_c8632be6d9.preview.jpeg

As we pass through Adventureland, our train passes along a trestle that whisks us past the impressive facade of the Temple of Four Winds; and, just like in Disneyland Paris, through the Pirates of the Caribbean show building, offering us a glimpse of what lies within the walls of La Fortaleza. Once we exit the fort, we find ourselves in the Wild West.

"Well, shoot! It looks like we've reached the wild west of Disneyland: Frontierland! This outpost is home to the covered wagons, cowpokes, and Country Bears. And right now, we're passing by the runaway mine trains of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Runaway trains… now I ask you — is that any way to run a railroad?

15456-dscn1548.jpg

We’ve reached Frontierland Station, everyone, so sit tight until we’ve come to a complete stop. This station not only serves Frontierland, but it's also the place to stop if you want to head to Adventureland. If you’re disembarking here, please carry your strollers all the way off the platform before you unfold ’em. That’ll help make room for the new passengers joinin’ us. For those of your continuin’ on with us, we’ll be resumin’ our trip in just a moment. This is Frontierland!"

In due time, we're off once more!

"To those who’ve just joined us, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad! The next leg of our journey will take us along the rim of the Grand Canyon. It’s a mighty long drop to the canyon floor, so for your safety, stay seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the train. Be sure to watch your kids, and no flash pictures, please!

As we head out of Frontierland Station, take a look around at all the unique sights. Y'know, Big Thunder ain't the only mountain we've got here in Frontierland. We've also got Splash Mountain, the place where every day is a "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" day! If you look real hard, you might just find your Laughin’ Place, just like good ol' Brer Rabbit!"

Much like at Disneyland, we pass right through Splash Mountain, getting a glimpse at the ride's finale, before passing through the heart of Folktale Forest.

DSC_7767-7771HDR.jpg

"We're now passing over Folktale Forest, where Pocahontas, Kenai, Koda and Br'er Rabbit make their homes and embark on fun-filled adventures. And just across the river is the French Quarter, home of jazz and jambalaya. And for all you character-lovers on-board, the French Quarter is the place to go if you wanna get up close and personal with Tiana and Naveen!

We’re traveling along the Rivers of America and into the American frontier as it looked more than a century ago. This area’s so rich with natural beauty and wildlife, you can see why the early settlers were inspired to move west! And you’re seein’ this view just like many of them did—from the comfort of a genuine steam-powered train. When these iron horses first started criss-crossin’ the country in the 1800s, the time it took folks to reach the West dropped from months to a matter of days! Why, steam power not only fueled trains, but the dreams of a whole new generation, as they settled this great frontier."

As this bit of narration is going on, we find ourselves inching towards the rocky caves of Columbia Gorge...

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, the Grand Canyon."

gcd038177LARGE.jpg

A trip along the rim of the Grand Canyon provides passengers with a glimpse at one of the world’s longest dioramas, a re-creation of the flora and fauna of Arizona’s great abyss. To Ferde Grofé’s "Grand Canyon Suite," curious wildlife examines our train in hesitant caution, unfamiliar with such strange creatures as ourselves.

"That was the Grand Canyon as we know it today. But it wasn’t always that way. Quiet now, as we travel back in time. Back to the fantastic Primeval World—land of the dinosaurs."

pwp106116LARGE.jpg

This is the world that once was; a world that trembles beneath giant feet. Strange and hulking creatures, that we have since come to know as the dinosaurs, thrive among the dense jungles and deserts. The Brontosaurus graze amidst the stagnant waters. A pair of Triceratops watch as their young hatch. Amid a volcanic background, a Tyrannosaurus rex corners a Stegosaurus, poised to close-in on its smaller foe.

As we emerge, the voice of our guide comes back on again.

"Wasn't that exciting? But right now, we're about to enter the most magical land of all: Fantasyland, the place where some of your favorite Disney stories come to life! As we chug on through Fantasyland, take a look around at what can be found here. Right now, we're passing by Belle and the Beast's provincial French village, where the gates to their castle are open wide, invitin' one and all to "be our guest". We're now about to pass by the happiest cruise that ever sailed, “it’s a small world.” It's been entertaining generations of people ever since it first opened at the 1964 New York World's Fair, and the song has gone down as one of the most beloved of all Disney songs.

Just up ahead is Arendelle, home of Princess Anna and Queen Elsa. But you know, there are still so many adventures to be had here. Here, you can soar into the skies with Dumbo, hear the story of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, zip and zoom through the Seven Dwarfs' diamond mine, take a journey under the sea with the Little Mermaid, enjoy an enchanted musical concert, and explore other fanciful locales, such as Neverland, Wonderland, Mt. Olympus and the 100 Acre Wood. Whether you’re a pixie, a princess, or just an everyday dreamer, there’s always something special about Fantasyland.

If you’ve been riding trains as long as this old-timer, you may remember the days when the railway expanded on into the West, bringing millions of people with it in search of a new life. Well, that vision is realized here in Discoveryland, an eternal tribute to the hopes and dreams of millions of thinkers, dreamers and inventors, just like you. This is the place where time travel is as common as a trip to the store; where you can soar anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds. It's also the place to feel like an adventurer, exploring what lies deep in the sea or excavating inside a volcano. If this sort of thing is right up your alley, then Discoveryland is for you! This station is also your gateway to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. If you'll be leavin' us here, please wait until the train has come to a complete stop, gather your belongings, and carry your strollers away from the platform before you start unfoldin’ ’em. That way, we can start loadin’ up for the next leg of our trip. For those of your disembarking, please watch your step, and thanks for traveling with us on the Disneyland Railroad. Join us again real soon. If you’re stayin’ aboard, our next stop is Main Street, U.S.A."

Bennett-station-1s.jpg

"To those who’ve just joined us, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad! To ensure a safe ride, remember to stay seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the train. And please, watch your kids!

Y'know, folks, there are some people who say that this steam train is a little old-fashioned — but for me, it’s the only way to travel. Of course, there are those who prefer to hit the highway, but where we're passin' by, you might see some very strange cars zippin' along the roads. Hovercars, I hear, are quite a popular transportation method. Then again, when you're in Tomorrowland, gettin' from place to place is a big deal. You might board a PeopleMover, zip around on the Orbitron, or book a flight across the galaxy at our busy Starport in Space Mountain. Tomorrowland is truly a world on the move!"

As we approach Space Mountain's show building, we enter into another tunnel for a third showcase! This is something I didn't tell you about beforehand. I wanted some things to be a surprise...

This tunnel showcases concept renderings and digital projections 270 degrees around the train putting you in each world of Tomorrow as visualized by the time periods.

"Well, folks, my good friend Walt always told me he had beautiful dreams of the future. Far beyond an old conductor like myself could ever imagine. He pictured a future filled with possibility. Of wonder and excitement, an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. A Tomorrowland, that would continue to grow and evolve with each generation, as long as we keep moving forward.

E3nqJ4rvfR7uwBSVP38QZHsFYzKUGoZeXbjd-c0q4xbUrnVKazskX6vlCc5hyIUZ7SHj03zFVYxlkAUb_lBPwhcR4JKE6KejTgmJveYPDpGv5P2im8bkBo8DFvrazp-2ulYraHJT

Take a gander at this, folks. This is Progress City, Walt Disney’s dream for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Progress City was the inspiration for EPCOT at Walt Disney World in Florida, and many of its forward-thinking ideas have been realized at Disney parks throughout the world."

As we emerge, the voice of our guide comes back on again...

"Y'know, after all that travelin', it's nice to come home to good ol' Main Street, U.S.A., the gateway to Disneyland. Inspired by the small-town dreams of a young Walt Disney, a walk down Main Street is like steppin’ back into the early years of the 20th century. Of course, ours is a Main Street of the imagination, a charming, nostalgic tribute to a bygone era of barbershop quartets, horse-drawn trolleys and charming store windowfronts.

We’ve made a complete trip around Disneyland. For those of you who’ve been on board for the whole journey, thanks for puttin’ up with me these last few days. We sure hope you’ve enjoyed your travels with us and that you’ll come back and see us again real soon! If you’re stayin’ with us, we’ll be headed for Frontierland next. If you’ll be leavin’ us here, stay in your seat ’til we come to a full stop. And remember to gather all your personal belongings (includin’ the younguns if you got any), and step carefully from the train. For those of your travelin’ on, we’ll be on our way again in just a few minutes."

Returning back to the familiar sight of Main Street Station, we depart and find ourselves back on Main Street, U.S.A. What should we do now? Well, I say we head on over to Adventureland. There are a few certain "adventures" I'd like to tackle...

What do you guys think? How'd you like our grand-circle tour of Disneyland? Oh, and all credit for the Progress City tunnel goes to the dynamic duo of @spacemt354 and @MonorailRed, who created it as part of their 50 for the 50th project last year.

Until the next post, my friends, send any feedback if you got any and I'll see you again soon!

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
In this post, we'll begin our journey on-board one of the all-time classics here at Disneyland. Let me tell you something, we are gonna have some pun tonight!

...I regret nothing.

Jungle Cruise

Jungle-Cruise.JPG

Our adventures through the world's mysterious waterways begin - as such adventures often do - on the edge of the Forgotten Kingdom, a rundown colony among the towering palms and weeping moss of the jungle foliage… The crackle of big band and symphonic chatter of distant wildlife entice our senses as we approach the ramshackle launch of the Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. The two-story boathouse - since decimated by a fallen tree - appears to have once offered safe passage to the fabled Temple of the Four Winds. Nowadays, the old launch has fallen into a state of disrepair… Moss and vines crawl up the foundation of the rickety structure, poised to reclaim the estate for the tropical wilderness.

"Voice of the Jungle" Albert Awol hosts an ongoing radio broadcast throughout the dusty halls and walls of the dingy queue. Such news bulletins recap the up and coming dangers in the immediate jungle. Preserved specimens, framed artifacts, detailed maps, and black-and-white photographs adorn the walls, while dark "peek-ins" allow glimpse at a cozy office and the crew’s quarters of the Jungle Navigation Co. Hammocks, half-written letters, human skulls, dusty binoculars, and lone pith helmets act in lieu of interior decor. A small library features one of the world’s only known fossils of the "Monster of Paradise Falls," a South American import on loan from the Adventurer’s Club.

The eerie crackle of Mr. Awol's big-band playlist leads our path to an old boat landing, where tramp steamers - a la The African Queen - arrive for a perilous voyage...

28GK_1XezQF-9tt305RVCGIBOlsAr1uhKl0-VKddTMdkZRqjJD3mneT6P9BO6coRtR2nh-G63SZIrQH5B9_oqH9XMnYBEh5nU9gYuwxtoc0I-oiO9wUNU-0rXZdqoYOO6BFVmx6-

Across the river from the dock is a dense jungle, seemingly endless as it stretches toward the distant skyline of an ancient city: the crumbling spires and turrets of the Temple of the Four Winds. Birds sing and insects chirp as a "musical" backdrop to a thatched-roof shack on a miniature pier. Fishing nets, undisclosed crates, and a rusted shovel hint at a macabre resident… Wooden grave-markers in the adjacent underbrush imply the same. This peculiar shack is the first of countless mysteries ahead… Once on board a ramshackle riverboat, we are introduced to our fearless guide with - what else - a one-liner: "Welcome aboard, folks. As you enter the boat, please watch your step and lower your head, and if you miss your step and hit your head, please watch your language - this is a family park." As our fellow passengers load into the boat, we venture out into the exotic heart of darkness with the low rumble of our steamer’s uneasy, perhaps defunct engine.

"And we’re off! Now, we always turn and wave goodbye to the beautiful people back at the dock… and wave goodbye to the ugly people, as well. They need love, too. Now that that's taken care of, welcome aboard the world-famous Jungle Cruise! I’ll be your skipper, guide, snake charmer, lion tamer, crocodile hunter, witch doctor, water buffalo wrestler, and, if you don't laugh at my jokes, your swimming instructor, for the next five exciting days and six romantic nights… For your safety, please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the boat, and please, watch your kids - or the piranhas will… ” Our boat has since left the dock and entered a mystical, almost unreal stretch of the rainforest…

DSC_3617_1200x800.jpg

A dense canopy shelters the river from the elements, adorned in vibrant blossoms and the occasional exotic insect. A gentle mist pours down from the arched canopy in a refreshing breeze, beautiful and mesmerizing amidst the warble of a Debussy flute. Giant butterflies and watchful toucans appear in the trees, a subtle compliment to the lone okapi peering through the thicket. "As we leave the last outpost of the Paradise Kingdom, we enter the deep rainforest, where it rains some 365 days a year. We often see exotic birds and huge, colorful butterflies - genus name, 'plasticus mechanicus'. And check out those wings! The average butterfly has a wingspan between 12 inches and a whopping 1 foot! Do you feel that refreshing mist in the air? It’s malaria, don’t worry."

Jungle+Cruise+%25286%2529.JPG

jcfrogs.jpg

The canopy parts to reveal Inspiration Falls, a small, if not beautiful, waterfall. A croaking family of bullfrogs sit opposite the falls, two adults and three juveniles. Our skipper slows for a moment, fishing for a rare moment of awe. "This is Inspiration Falls. We call it Inspiration Falls for it inspires us to go…" Our skipper gives pause; suddenly, he lowers to his knees, as if needing to use the restroom desperately. He regroups. "Deeper and deeper into the jungle." Our boat rounds the bend, only to discover a crashed biplane, its skeletal pilot slumped over the controls… "You know, we’ve been waiting on a shipment of supplies from the mainland, I wonder if… Well, there it is - in plain sight. Gosh, I should tell the guys back at the dock about this..."

p6a2hBAHtRDCvlIGbw594M4sL8X18GxBcQcra901ADDqEhwo986YK33RO0t6kOADCLfoKx6B0o7dR0BvZcPu067vDp-MwtvhHjzqDUZBvt5AIyTz6_5Ltl92AQBUd4gCPE35EkWq

Leaving the rainforest behind, we come upon the sight of an abandoned War Camp, presumably that of the native islanders - cannibals, of course. Beached war canoes and a series of skulls spiked onto torches set an ominous tone to the sudden pulse of tribal drums from the undergrowth. "Up ahead we have a pygmy war camp. Each canoe can hold up to 300 pygmies! Seeing as there are three canoes… There may well be 900 pygmies nearby, waiting to attack! Those drums are certainly an invitation to dinner… It’s either eat or get eaten out here in the jungle, folks. I wonder what scared them off?" Suddenly, the drums stop.

snansa7361211.jpg

An ominous hiss shatters the silence. A gigantic python, poised and readied on the branch of a dead tree in the shallows, frightens both the skipper and ourselves to look to the opposite end. "Whoa!" The skipper slams down his fist on the boat for an added scare. “A python! I can see why those pygmies were scared. He does look frightening. But don't worry, pythons are actually some of the nicest animals in the jungle. They're known to develop crushes on people." Our skipper bursts into a self-provoked laughing fit, unaware of our current path into Crocodile Country.

https://i1.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2016/07/11827606456_877c89d9bc_b.jpg?resize=800%2C400&ssl=1

Dozens of basking - growling - crocodiles line the beach from either side… Every so often, a croc opens its jaws with a hideous yawn. "We’re entering Crocodile Country, the oldest part of the river… Look, there’s Old Smiley! Old Smiley here is a hundred years old! And there’s Ginger, his girlfriend. Careful: Ginger snaps! She's one tough cookie!" More crocs begin to surface from the immediate waters, growling hungrily. We hear the ear-splitting caw of a rare hornbill, perched on a gnarled tree in the shallows. Three crocs have cornered the bird from either side, offering little comfort for the bird, who doesn't seem to comprehend that he can simply fly away. "Wow, a rare flightless hornbill - about to become a little more rare." Suddenly, a trio of hungry crocs charge the boat, just narrowly missing their mark. "Uh-oh! Look out! Phew, that was a close one. I would hate to lose any of you - so soon."

read-image4.jpg

The crackle of big band returns as we drift past Beacon Joe's Shack, the last sight in Crocodile Country. Ol' Beacon Joe is a sight straight from the bayou, a bearded old coot quietly rocking back and forth on his porch, enjoying a pipe. His faithful dog intensely watches a series of bubbles in the water - the source likely a submerged crocodile. "There’s old Beacon Joe, the last outpost of civilization… Joe here always enjoys a good chat. Hey, Joe!" No answer. "Good talk, Joe! I’ll be back again to see you in ten minutes… And again after that… And again… And again… And again… I went to Julliard for this?"

UiLTWgcdTg4xeBuK1iTfbbbaMGuQsNxDfMRNqQz9O7EiBjsvs1BAuMV-8d0lvsV8orLI1oGLg43Go2-AX5tyq_doFbsgvy3HmAfO9A5vuSSRLgJ1jsBqA7rvlEoOAYNsxju1fbWs

The river turns to the left as we catch glimpse of a Safari Camp laden with supplies. However, something is a little… off? A family of exuberant gorillas have invaded the outpost, gleefully toying with the varied belongings found in the large tent. Cans and boxes are scattered along the shoreline, a preface to the overturned jeep with its tires still spinning, fresh tracks in the sand. A huge silverback in a polka-dot skirt and necktie tries on a pith helmet in a wall-hung mirror; a grunting mother dips her baby in a bag of flour, giving him "pants"; a lazy ape swings back and forth in a hammock; a juvenile peers into the loaded muzzle of a rifle; a second armed juvenile sits on an ammunition crate near the shore, firing curious potshots at our boat - not to mention the floating crates of ammunition in the water. All this monkey business has greatly disturbed the camp’s pack mule and crate of chickens across the river. "Well, well, well - my inlaws are back in town. There goes my mother-in-law again, always trying to blow my head off. If any of you are wearing yellow clothing, don’t make any sounds like a banana - it drives them ape." As we continue downriver, we come upon a stray silverback swinging out over the water, pummeling a crocodile just begging for a knuckle sandwich. With every snap of the beast's jaws, the ape's fist comes down, sending the croc's head under and its tail skyward. "Now there’s something you don’t see everyday. But I do."

junglecruise_falls_wdw2009ww.jpg

Leaving these crazy apes behind, we come across Schweitzer Falls, a spectacular clifftop of thundering cascades of water. However, our boat seems to be ever-inching closer and closer towards the mighty falls. "All right, everybody, lean in the middle! This is gonna be a tight turn! If we all lean in the middle, we'll all sink evenly!" Fortunately, we make it past the falls without a scratch. "That waterfall we just passed by was Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous explorer who discovered it, and who also founded the Jungle Navigation Company. I am, of course, referring to the one and only Dr. Albert...Falls."

enQD3cbTntuud30kyb03Q8hEL5cgW6fnpr2wX_KIYqVlCuxNwPt28AyAcFLsAEUHIFQ-6eF22KUQSgLVsOY-s_RgBdNuvIuZB-m6TIxBc4IMU42ltuV8k0m199k4LXD1XwkwJhGP

The thundering Schweitzer Falls provide a smooth transition towards our next stop. Our boat heads toward a series of ancient statues; elephants, to be precise. A magnificent canopy appears once more, even more spectacular than the last. "These elephant statues guard the entrance to the Enchanted Bathing Pool of Elephants. Let’s take a closer look…" Now beneath the canopy, we find a spectacular grotto of frolicking Indian elephants among glistening fireflies, giant lily pads, purple waterfalls, bubbling streams, and the return of a Debussy flute. An entire herd has gathered to bathe; one huge elephant reclines in a waterfall; a baby squirts water into the mouth of a waiting crocodile; countless other adults and their young frolic gleefully among the waters. "Feel free to take all the pictures you want, folks. They do have their trunks on. These sacred bathing rights are seldom seen by civilized man… As I look around this boat today, I see that this still holds true."

DL_Jungle_Cruise_elephant.jpg

As we leave the waters of the pristine elephants, we venture deep into the interior, where - uh-oh - a large bull elephant has strayed from the herd, half-submerged in the waters ahead. The rogue bull shoots a stream of water in our path before ducking back under. "No, Squirt! No! Bad elephant! He’s trying to give us a bath!" Our skipper slows down for a moment, only to be jolted by a second bull elephant from the opposite side of the canal. "Yikes! Everybody get down, get down! Duck! Duck! Goose!" Fortunately, neither elephant sprays us. "Heh-heh. Just a little bit of dry humor for ya. The jokes don’t get much better than this…"

1517428810807-png.260761

As the canopy parts overhead, we come upon a narrow stretch of river inhabited only by a tall pair of African bull elephants. The great beasts bellow forth, as if ready to charge the boat. "Over on the left we have the second most feared animal in the jungle: the African bull elephant. Over on the right we have the first most feared animal in the jungle: his wife. These star-crossed lovers guard the entrance to the eerie Elephant Graveyard."

W5DKAltqts9V_ErH7UhhV6mmc3svvdDtJLXLIdKf5VQpYEHgksXl2pRQT0l2cxbCl1R_DVqZVC2H2nrmBmYlzWCl_yw0Bt6pIKpHNdmAZ4s1pI4j-cNqted2LginMN70CuPh0cdI

Sure enough, our boat has sailed into the midst of an elephant graveyard - not to be confused with the same locale of The Lion King. Giant skulls, tusks and ribs litter the rocky shoreline… Ahead we see the entrance to a water-logged temple adorned with toppled columns, cracked stairs, crumbling stone, and the carved face of an ancient goddess. The river ahead trails deep into the dark abyss of the temple, guarded only by hissing king cobras slithered ashore…"Elephants come to their final resting place in this hallowed ground. The ancient islanders built this temple in honor of these fantastic beasts… Nowadays, the temple is home to a series of great dangers… We must be quiet… Shh…" With the utmost pride and courage, our skipper pulls full-steam ahead into the darkness of the temple, blissfully unaware of the dangers that lie ahead... Vultures watch as we drift inside...

What do you guys think? Oh, and by the way, most of this came from the mind of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit to him. Also, I know his version didn't include Schweitzer Falls and I can understand that, because this kind of Adventureland is ambiguous as to where in the world it's set; but I decided to bring it back because, to me, it wouldn't be a Jungle Cruise without a trip past the "backside of water"!

EDIT: I also want to point something else out: The skipper referring to the Forgotten Kingdom as the Paradise Kingdom was deliberate. It would make sense that the skippers would still try to sell this place as the tourist destination it once was, wouldn't it?

Part 2 of the Jungle Cruise should be coming along shortly. Until then, send any feedback if you got any!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Here's Part 2!

The dark and uninviting temple brings us past a collection of mosaics in portrayal of the island’s mythology and the vicious animals that tormented the natives. Fallen pillars and stone appear among the dark waters, the din roars of some strange phenomena in the distance. But before we investigate further, we hear a hungry growl.

A massive tiger has paused in its tracks; crumbled brick and jungle foliage around him. The green eyes of the tiger illuminate the darkness, the beast close enough to climb aboard… "That right there is a Bengal tiger! Bengal tigers can weigh up to 500 lbs and jump up to 25 feet! But don't worry, we're a good 24 feet away. He’ll sail right over us!" The tiger now behind us, we sail further into this mighty temple. "Ladies and gentlemen, as we travel through this temple, please remain seated and refrain from flash photography. Only those with a dark heart use the dreaded flash photography…"

The growling of the mighty tiger gives way to musical tones. If not the real thing, they are at least evocative of xylophones used in Cambodian court music. The impression is that in the darkness of the ruins there is the echo of something lost to time. As if captivated by the sound, two cobras sway back and forth on pedestals situated near the boats' path. With a hiss, a blanket of steam envelops our path, practically blinding us. "T
his can’t be good! I can’t see a blasted thing in this steam… With my luck, we’ll veer off course and meet our doom. But things could be worse, right?" A pair of red eyes illuminate thru the fog, soon joined by three more pairs. "I spoke too soon."

jcshrine05.jpg

The eyes are revealed to belong to four giant king cobras, surrounding a shrine to the Hindu god Hanuman, crouched in a blissful position among gold artifacts and crystals. These snakes hiss defensively, ready to attack those who dare disturb this holy shrine, occasionally lunging forward with bloodcurdling screeches. "Snakes?! Why did it have to be snakes?!" Fortunately, our boat veers just in time. Once again, our path is engulfed in a thick cloud of steam.

When we emerge from this cloud, we find ourselves back outside. We sail beneath a railroad trestle and back into the relative safety of the jungle. A group of monkeys appears on the port side, meddling with more treasure, sticking their heads and hands into urns or climbing into them. A little monkey yelp is heard for a moment. "Before we go any further… Raise your hand if you’re still alive." We do. "One, two… Okay, good. I get paid for the amount of people I bring back, not the amount I take out."

An Indian elephant and her calf appear on the starboard side, enjoying a bath. Neighboring them, a pair of submerged water buffalo inspect our passing boat. A third buffalo emerges from the river with a wet snort, spraying those close enough . On the port side, two zebras and a giraffe have come to the river for a drink. Bamboo towers high above the landscape. "This tall grass means Big Game Territory. We must be on the lookout! The wild animals come down to the river to drink."

jcveldtpano800.jpg

Curious gazelle and zebras can be seen hidden among the tall grass and bamboo thicket. A trio of baboons even appear in one tree. A pair of giraffes munch on the leaves of the tallest trees, only visible from the neck up. "Now you can say you’ve had a nodding acquaintance with a giraffe! The giraffe, however, won’t talk back - this is one animal with no vocal cords. And if you look across the river in the bamboo, you will see: absolutely nothing."

At the far edge of this veldt is the lair of a snarling lion pride. The eerie diorama portrays the dramatic "survival of the fittest" motif found in Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventure films. Amid the rocks and ruins of their cave, the lions have made a kill and are hungrily chowing down on an unfortunate zebra. The gargantuan male often lifts his head from the feast, roaring proudly. A pair of cubs fidget with the tail of a lioness, while two such lionesses engage in a tug-o-war with a meaty (zebra) leg. "Would you look at that? Those lions are protecting that sleeping zebra. Can you feel the love tonight? Reminds me of my favorite Disney movie: Toy Story." As our boat sails past the feast, we pass underneath a gargantuan tree branch. Giant roots hang from it. Our skipper takes note. "Some call this a root canal. Seriously! That’s the honest tooth. I mean, truth." An angered lioness slowly creeps out from the shadow with a low growl. "Even nature thinks my jokes are bad."

jungle_cruise_rhino_by_kylgrv-da3sbzb.jpg

Hyenas can be heard cackling ahead. The foliage parts for a beach laden with rocks and sand. The hyenas joyfully "laugh" at a rare glimpse of the Treed Safari. The unfortunate travelers have climbed a dead tree to evade the horn of a massive rhinoceros. A blonde Victorian woman, a la Jane in Tarzan, is at the top of the tree, followed by a petrified guide, the woman's husband and his pencil-thin mustache, a native porter in a khaki uniform and red fez, and lastly, a very unlucky man who thinks himself the next Indiana Jones. The woman’s heels have fallen to the shore below. As the rhino lunges forward with its raised horn, the poor victims rises up briskly. "I tried to warn those guys that no man can outrun a rhino. Looks like the big guy really has them up a tree. The guy at the bottom is a good friend of mine: Juan. And it looks like that rhino’s going to get a hole in Juan."

IMG_5415.jpg

Flowing past the Treed Safari, we find ourselves coming back towards Schweitzer Falls. Unlike before, we pass right through the waterfall. "And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the best part of the Jungle Cruise, the sole reason why you came to Disneyland, the greatest natural phenomena ever experienced by man, the eighth wonder of the world: THE BACKSIDE OF WATER!" Leaving this glorious sight behinds, the pounding of native drums and ominous chanting can be hear just ahead. "Sounds dangerous. Let's check it out."

OsKM5RWp5tnuQlGEpynPYgf_9mLAX2GUTlxzwf5hKKRJoG8aoHpeO_XKeywT9Bg4-DbNNIJed8uib3b1RpAt2ILx137vdOQQSsZAr6tFDOKf0pExysIB4miFh5ThUqeq-ydQWBeP

Bizarre bamboo formations laden with skulls and animal skins mark the early warning signs of Headhunter Country. A canoe full of skulls and a human rib cage instills a sense of danger in our skipper. "Uh-oh. Looks like we’re headed into Headhunter Country - not a good place to be-headed." In the primitive village ahead, a native dance circle of painted warriors is underway to the drumming and chanting of some mean-eyed musicians. A dead lion appears upside down above a roaring fire. Various huts and tribal decor set an impressive yet foreboding backdrop to the unsettling display. "It seems as if the natives are celebrating the kill of that lion… I’ve studied their language extensively. Allow me to translate." A long pause. "Nope, I got nothing." Our boat continues on without a hitch, until we come upon a series of large shields embedded into the shore. The drums silence. A masked warrior pokes his head out from behind a shield and barks a foreign order. From nowhere, unseen natives scream battle cries, firing "poison darts" and "spears" at our passing boat. "Duck! Duck!" Our skipper drops to the floor. "Don’t worry about looking stupid, folks, I’m doing it for you."

1517593146410-png.261116

Once again, we escape the blatant danger - again - but sail right into the midst of more danger. A low fog has rolled in above the surface of the Hippo Swamp. "We’re not out of danger yet - we’re sailing right into the midst of a swamp filled with dangerous hippopotami." Sure enough, unfriendly hippos begin to surface from below, wiggling their ears and blowing bubbles. "Don’t worry, the natives tell me they’re only dangerous if their wiggling their ears and blowing bubbles… Which they’re all doing." The large "river boss" begins to charge the boat with his twisted teeth. "I’ll scare them off the way I scared off my ex: I LOVE YOU!" As expected, the hippos dive back beneath the surface. "Works every time."

1517594077348-png.261118

As our boat departs for the last stretch of the jungle, we come upon who else but Trader Sam at his kitschy outpost. With his ramshackle umbrella and bundle of shrunken heads at hand, Sam wears a (stolen) top hat and striped skirt, surrounded by the grim spoils of his profession; skulls, masks, shrunken heads, and painted bones - human in origin. "Over here is Trader Sam, Head Salesman of the Jungle. Sam has a special two-for-one deal going on right now - two of his heads for just one of yours! Yessir, any way you slice it, you’ll always come out ahead!"

We head straight toward the ramshackle boathouse of the Jungle Navigation Co., readied to return to the Adventureland mainland. "And now, we come to the most dangerous part of all: the return to civilization. Congratulations! You just survived the world-famous Jungle Cruise! Folks, out of all the crews I’ve had today… You by far have been the most recent. We’ve been through so much together in such a short amount of time. It’s almost too hard to say goodbye, but… Get out. Oh, wait a minute. Where are my manners? Please...get out." We do.

Full Scene Breakdown for the Jungle Cruise
1. Boathouse (Queue, Load & Unload)
2. The Rainforest
3. Crashed Biplane
4. Pygmy Camp (w/Python)
5. Crocodile Country (w/Beacon Joe's Shack)
6. Safari Camp
7. Schweitzer Falls
8. Enchanted Elephant Bathing Pool
9. Elephant Graveyard/The Temple
10. Big Game Territory (w/Feasting Lions & Treed Safari)
11. Backside of Water
12. Headhunter Country
13. Hippo Swamp
14. Trader Sam's Outpost

Once again, most of this came from @MANEATINGWREATH's excellent Jungle Cruise concept, so all credit to him. And speaking of which, our next ride-through will be a complete ride-through direct from his 2016 draft of the Kingdom of Dreams. Up next: Indiana Jones Adventure--Temple of the Four Winds!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Now, what say we begin our journey with Indiana Jones? It should be noted that this entire ride-through came directly from the mind of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit to him. However, I did edit one little thing. I wasn't really a fan of the idea of the Four Winds being bipedal animals, so in this case, they are human.

Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Four Winds

lostexpedition2-590x307.jpg

Primitive, ancient, and laden with exotic wildlife, the Forgotten Kingdom is the place where all jungle adventures are born. Amidst the skulls on spears and vibrant masks of Polynesian culture, we find a pulp recreation of Africa and the South Pacific as seen thru the eyes of Hollywood in the 1950s. Tattered-canvas awnings and flickering gas lanterns point the way to the Garden of the Four Brothers, a partially-submerged (as in submerged in the mud) tribute to the Four Brothers, otherwise known as the Four Winds.

It is clear from the moment we enter the Garden that it is in fact a clever compass, hieroglyphic-esque markings in the earth pointing in the directions of North, South, East, and West, each direction marked by a vine-entangled statue representing a "Wind." Each Wind wears the garbs of ancient royalty, each holding a prospective gift for those who seek fortune with a pure heart. But, to those who seek fortune with the blackest of hearts, human skulls and bones carved into the base of each statue hint at a grim fate... A nearby sign reads Indiana Jones Adventure - Temple of the Four Winds. Just below it, a beaten path leads through a swamp and to the site of a vast excavation. Items and signage labeled "F.K.E.T." symbolize the arrival of the Forgotten Kingdom Expedition Team. From the trees above peers the awe-inspiring remains of the temple itself...the Temple of the Four Winds.

latest

Despite its distinctly Mayan-appearance, no particular location is given in regards to the Forgotten Kingdom's location, as it is a realm of pure fantasy and imagination. An old phonograph blaring crackling jazz standards of the 20's and 30's sets the scene as we catch glimpses of ancient relics and artifacts displayed among the swampy plant-life. An old power generator attempts to give life to a long string of lanterns leading in and out of the temple, just barely getting by with what little energy it can muster. A large excavation pit sits in the middle of the switchback-ridden camp. A quick look below shows a muddy hole lined with excavation gear and several long-lost treasures being pulled from the mud. An ore car filled with shovels and equipment sits derailed along a track, the track itself leading into the abyss of an unaccessible mine shaft. From within, the sound of digging and whistling rings out, echoing back and forth between the mud-walls.

Several windmill-type contraptions composed of oil drums and metallic blades attempt to harness the power of the Four Winds, although, not much wind goes their way, even if they are placed adjacent to a small hole at the very peak of the temple. A note plastered to a windmill by Sallah reads "Dear F.K.E.T. Employees, PLEASE do NOT touch the windmills! We wish to harness the power of the Four Winds to provide energy for the local villagers. One misplaced finger may lead to iminate doom! All the Best, Sallah."

Distant jungle creatures and the even-more-so distant hum of the Jungle Cruise create a low din beneath the jazzy background music, all the while maintaining the immersive setting. Strangely enough, a phone booth sits among the dig site, and, unsurprisingly, it still works. If one does not wish to make a collect call, one can simply listen in on humorous conversations between various denizens of the jungle.

njOr4EWy97qAJucqUmV9p7FN8ZX1arznA4A2nrq0BKPBnGePG_x2Age6mnLtabcN4QOuyvRBvw3juCMx3nqG_Z8Ich02nDsvbJhGC3uPG7jA1avntHP0oeDGarFuNzxMviWJBbjH

An unfortunate archaeologist has fled from his tent; a group of playful tiger cubs have made themselves at home. The poor chap was so frightened that his pith helmet and tea kettle were dropped to the floor. Where their mother is is anyone’s guess… As we approach the base of the monstrous temple, we find another tribute to the Four Winds, this time a painted-mosaic of sorts inscribed upon a sandstone tablet roped to a wooden platform. This time, the tribute illustrates the reasoning behind the temple's existence. Here, a group of spear and shield-wielding natives face off against each of the Winds, each Wind utilizing their powers as weapons. North spews icy blasts from his hands, South belches a plume of flames, West rides upon the tip of a tidal wave, and East, being the youngest, sits in the corner crying, streams of sand pouring from his eyes. Hieroglyphics at the base of the tablet read (when translated to English): "One who enters the Temple of the Four Winds will unleash an evil power that mustn't be freed. One who enters will face eternal suffering." A bit grim, eh? Inspired, we loop through a quick jungle path at the temple's side, past the railroad tracks, past some ominous stone tablets, and into a small passageway carved into an odd corner of the temple's side.

Inside, we find a subterranean passage of unnatural, if not supernatural proportions. Almost immediately, we are greeted by the gristly skeletal remnants of a former archaeologist, still donning his pith helmet and khaki safari gear. The poor soul hangs from the moss-covered ceiling by a grappling hook's rope, the hook latched onto an inaccessible ledge high above our heads. It appears as if his partner left him behind upon viewing whatever made the massive spider web in a not-so-distant corner of the ceiling. Perhaps his earthly intention was to snatch the large ruby jammed in a pedestal in the center of the chamber. A note left behind by Sallah clearly demands "Friends! Do not touch the cursed ruby! It is a mere test, but it is very bad news indeed." Of course we have to touch it...which results in several bricks in the walls becoming dislodged and the suspended skeleton to briskly lower down a few more feet before rising back up...

An overhead sign warns us to beware of...gulp...spiders...just ahead is a narrow, dark corridor lined with cobwebs, cobwebs upon cobwebs upon cobwebs. Dark nooks and crannies emit ethereal squeaking sounds, hinting at either rats...or really loud spiders, most likely the latter. Suddenly, seemingly hundreds of green insect eyes illuminate in the shadows. The lone pair of lanterns hanging from the ceiling suddenly shine their brightest, quickly but briefly revealing several spiders of varying sizes, some big, some small, some HUGE, before going to dim again and hiding their presence. The following corridor warns us to watch our step, for a single misplaced footstep may lead to a spiky demise.

9526113505_32f5699bca_m.jpg

The skeletons and skulls of unfortunate explorers can be seen jabbed onto spikes protruding from the ceiling and floor, the unlucky victims of classic booby traps. Bamboo poles attempt to hold the ceiling from completely falling down onto our heads, although a harsh tug at a certain pole makes the spikes begin to lower and tremble rather loudly. Quickly thereafter, the tight passageway leads into a massive chamber at least three-stories in height, a chamber in which seems to encompass the entirety of the temple we saw outside.

4755069876_6c10ff4829.jpg

Our scaffolding-like path leads on an upward spiral towards the ceiling, excavation gear and a broken-down truck looming on the muddy floor below. Mosaic-paintings illustrating the sheer power of each of the Four Winds line the crumbling walls, while a massive statue takes up residence in the chamber's northernmost corner. This statue (another unfortunate skeleton attempts to climb it from the base-up, but seems to have died in the process) is the sole reason why the F.K.E.T. has any interest in the temple: Mother Nature. Yep, Mother Nature is the mother of the Four Winds (who else would mother them?) and man, is she beautiful, or at least her statue is. Resembling a goddess of ancient lore, she calmly stands atop her altar, surrounded by stone busts of her four sons. Stone-carved natives bow at the base of the altar, mosaic paintings of natives bringing gifts to Mother Nature surrounding her on both sides. An old radio placed upon some nearby scaffolding simultaneously plays jazz standards and provides an interchanging backstory for the temple...

"Dateline: The Forgotten Kingdom, 1933. World famous archaeologist, Indiana Jones has discovered a tattered map leading to the ancient oedipus known as the Temple of the Four Winds. Thought to have been destroyed long ago in a devastating earthquake, the temple proves to be alive and well, still standing as a lasting testament to the goddess Erutrea Mosea, which translates to us simple folk as "Mother Nature." Native legend has it that those who seek her favor will be rewarded with priceless gifts from her and her four sons, more commonly referred to as the Four Winds. But, an argument between the brothers resulted in a devastating war that required the long-lost civilization to seal the brothers deep within the temple. Enraged, Mother Nature punished those who worshipped her by sealing herself within the temple as well, forever cursing them with the terrible curse of...BAD WEATHER. If the legend is true, Mother Nature and the Four Winds still reside within the temple to this day... If it isn't, all that resides in the temple now are a gaggle of rats and spiders... Will Indiana Jones solve this ancient mystery? Or will he be blown away by the Four Winds? Only time will tell... And now, a musical interlude, brought to you by our friends in Los Angeles, California with 'Happy Days Are Here Again.'"

Having reached the top of the chamber, we pour out into a small passageway and into what appears to be a former church of some kind due to the general appearance and shape of the room. Artifacts and scaffolding decorate the sanctuary-like room, barely visible in the inky-darkness of the room. The only source of light comes from the seldom lanterns strung along the walls and the rather bright projector screen plastered to a wall high above our heads. Every minute, a new film is projected from a noisy, old projector on the opposite side. Black and white newsreels explain once more the story of the attraction; Indy, having discovered the long-lost temple has enlisted the help of the F.K.E.T. and Sallah to unearth the mysteries and rumored treasures hidden fathoms below the earth. In order to fund the excavation, Sallah has come up with the brilliant idea to allow jeep tours of the temple's innermost sanctums, a money ploy in which he promises Indy he will never do again...despite the fact he does the exact same thing again when they discover the Temple of the Forbidden Eye two years later... While the newsreels provide solid entertainment, the main film here is a truly classy safety video delivered by none other than Sallah himself.

"Welcome, my friends, to the Temple of the Four Winds! (Sallah stands outside the temple, gleefully waving. The slide changes to Sallah holding a sign that reads "SAFETY FIRST!") I, Sallah, shall now give you a few friendly reminders for your ever-so-dangerous journey ahead. (Sallah sits on the hood of a ride vehicle) It is of grave importance that you always remain seated throughout your journey and in a real chair, which I, Sallah, have installed with my own hands. (A disgruntled Sallah attempts to install a seat into the jeep) You must remember to take the safety belt from the right and insert into the left, like so. (The slideshow format turns into a crackling, low-quality video of a man in a gorilla suit buckling in from right to left, then giving the thumbs up gesture to the camera) Also, be sure to stow all earthly treasures in the pouch that I, Sallah, have placed in front of you. (A photo of Sallah attempting to steal a banana from the gorilla's pouch results in another picture of Sallah being thrown in a chokehold by the gorilla). Your off-road journey is high-speed and turbulent! (We see a video of Sallah and the gorilla riding around inside the attraction, holding onto each other and screaming) So high-speed in fact that you'll be turning sharply, and dropping suddenly. You will never live to experience another adventure like this, I assure you. (A slide of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye quickly shows up before being replaced by an image of Sallah outside THIS temple) Now, my friends, one final word of advice... (A photo of Sallah and the gorilla looking upwards from the front row of the jeep) If you run into the Four Winds... Don't get blown away... (The gorilla is whisked away, much to Sallah's visible sadness)"

Passing beneath the massive screen, we meander past a collection of artifacts and relics packaged and ready for delivery to Marshall College, Indy's livelihood. In a dusty corner of the room, Indy's makeshift office rests under the musical stylings of a crackling radio, hundreds of inside-joke-based artifacts littering the chamber, including, but not limited to a model train resembling the circus train of The Last Crusade, Sallah's fez, and several statues, one being that of Quetzaloatl, the patron deity of Tokyo's Indy E-Ticket.

5062355905_041760e28a.jpg

A sharp turn takes us into the Motor Pool, a former sacrificial altar (yes, you read that right) turned into a double-sided station for tourists such as ourselves to board a jeep and explore the wonders of the forbidden temple. As we have been traveling towards the temple's peak for the past hour or so in line, we look down upon the pool from scaffolding high above, slowly lowering back to first-story level via strategically-placed ramps and wooden stairs. Giant roots and vines symbolize that we are deep within the temple's core, additional mosaics and statues warning us of our potential doom. Massive statues resembling each of the Four Winds can be seen on opposing sides of the station, North and South on one side, East and West on the other. Mother Nature's ever-watchful stone face overlooks the chamber from the keystone above the jeep's path. Sallah's ever-friendly voice continuously gives safety spiels from an otherworldly audio source (aka speakers)...

"Hello again, my esteemed friends! When you board your transport, put all earthly treasures in the pouch directly in front of you — unless of course you wish to lose them in the temple. (Laughs.) Oh, but seriously, our journey through the temple is rough. To keep safe and sound, stay well seated with seatbelt fastened and your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the transport. If you are traveling with children, you must keep a close watch on them. Your transport approaches. I wish you a successful and wondrous expedition!"

...while last-minute signs warn us about the thrilling E-Ticket we are about to experience.

6OzdsFhEpEjakJSVkd64gAV9ZDJwoJ6QtD2OCOTLL2ttq2mjQ-DS5rV918nb5pDFBRw3zPtAG73bV7Ah5t7my8uvDLK-_1dOx45WJQqezyyQja7t9j5RFSTs0gIrHHWSAe8z9wS_

Once at ground level, we are "grouped" by a friendly F.K.E.T. archaeologist into one of three rows in a pre-WWII troop transport jeep, weathered and worn from previous adventures. Unlike its counterparts, DLM's Indy jeeps feature small automatic doors at the end of every row, preventing valuables and other objects from falling out of the jeeps and onto the track. New to DLM's attraction is the lack of track. That's right, similar to Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland and Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo, Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Four Winds utilizes wifi to control the ride vehicles. Each vehicle continues to utilize the classic Indy method of EMV (Enhanced Motion Vehicle) to allow a bumpy, off-road-type journey that is further immersed by the lack of visible track. So, this Indy is a first; trackless ride vehicles combined with EMV technology. These are also the largest and most complex trackless vehicles to date, making this attraction just as groundbreaking as the original Indy was in 1995.

Upon boarding our vehicle, we buckle ourselves in, place our mortal belongings in the pouch, watch the doors close, and proceed to the next portion of the station, a quick seatbelt and door check before our presumably dangerous temple tour. "Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Sallah speaking. Am I coming in? Splendid. Before your adventure, we must perform a quick safety procedure. Please pay heed to the F.K.E.T. associate ahead." From the checkpoint, the aforementioned Mother Nature keystone glares at us with glowing-green eyes, an ominous sign of things to come... As our jeep departs from the station and beneath the deity's watchful eyes, Sallah's voice rings out in the inboard speakers: "Friends! Friends...er, uh...the brakes may be needing a little adjustment...heh-heh, easy on the curves! Oh, one more thing. If you run into the Four Winds, do not release them! Their power is unimaginable! Er...uh, uncontrollable! Heh-heh. Good luck!"

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster

We are surrounded by inky-darkness... Water drips from the ceiling, echoing into eternity... Unseen rats screech from the shadows... An ominous din typical of subterranean "wonderlands" hums from all corners of the temple. Suddenly, a dim light appears at the end of the tunnel, seeming to glow with the power of the heavens as we draw closer and closer. One with keen eyes can make out the imagery of vast jewels and gold, the prize for those with a pure heart who enter the temple. An ethereal voice calls out to us... "Free me... Free me..." Rather than continuing towards the light, we make a sharp turn to the right, heading towards a large door marked with hieroglyphics and the carved faces of the Four Winds... As if by magic, the doors open... Evidently, someone in our jeep doesn't have an entirely pure heart...

We find ourselves headed upwards towards a glistening, swirling vortex of some supernatural power, the vortex itself purple in color and dotted with twinkling stars and nebulas. Massive statues of the Winds stand guard on either side of the chamber, North and East to the left, South and West to the right. Mosaics warn us once more of their unnatural powers, but by this point, it is too late. "Free me... Free US..." Lightning bolts suddenly strike from the ceiling to the floor, illuminating the room whilst casting it into an eerie, unnatural darkness. The swirling vortex expands in size, while the statues begin to "melt" from their stone containment, revealing full-colored representations of their respective Wind who make eye contact with our jeeps and begin to shift their arms. As we near the top of the hill, the vortex quickly seals shut and disappears from sight, leaving behind a massive lightning bolt. We have unknowingly broken the seal that has kept the Four Winds imprisoned for the past few centuries... "You have freed us... Now, face your eternal punishment," the whisper-like voice of the brothers rings in perfect unison...

Dramatic themes play as an underscore to our impending demise. Our jeep is tossed around rapidly as we meander through a stone corridor filled with falling rocks, collapsing columns, and additional lightning bolts coursing through the walls and striking the floor from the ceiling. Up ahead, a familiar friend calls out to us...it's Dr. Jones, but it looks like he's in just as much trouble as we are. The fedora and leather-clad archaeologist has been caught in the midst of a vicious tornado where the elements of the Four Winds are in full-swing. Skeletal spirits and snake-like apparitions also float among the tornado's vortex, taunting both our jeep and Indy as he floats in midair. "Great! You unleashed the Four Winds, didn't you? Don't worry, evil deities are my specialty. Veer left! That should be your best way out! Now, don't get into anymore trouble, okay?" But...we do...

Whereas other Indy attractions would leave us at a dramatic overlook of the entire attraction, we enter a blue-shaded chamber where North resides. Our jeep stops. The walls begin to freeze over, while icicles grow from the rim of the ceiling and snow gently falls from above. North appears behind a wall of ice. "Foolish mortals, face me!" North unleashes a bloodcurdling battle cry, shattering the ice in which he stands behind before disappearing. The room begins to shake, the shadows of falling icicles and rocks projected upon the walls. Our jeep takes off, slipping about on the icy road below before just barely pulling into a narrow corridor where giant icicles hang from the ceiling. North cries out in the distance. "Come back!" The ceiling begins to lower, the sharp-edged icicles growing closer and closer to our heads. But before we abandon all hope, our jeep quickly bolts out of the corridor and down an icy slope, the first of many drops. North, in full animatronic form appears at the bottom of the hill, blue energy orbs forming in his claws. Our jeep comes to a grinding halt. North's eyes glow an eerie white. "Face the power of the North Wind..." Just before North throws us into an icy grave, the "ice" on the floor begins to crackle and "breaks," sending us downward (another drop) into a mass tomb of former intruders. Our jeep slowly meanders through the eerie, root and coffin-adorned grotto filled with skeletal mummies...hundreds of them... Indy pops out from behind a quartet of grinning corpses, one of them wearing tattered Mickey Mouse ears.

"Tourists! I thought I told you to get out of here! Well, watch your step. You wouldn't want to interrupt their beauty sleep." Our jeep goes over a suspicious "bump." "I said watch your step!" A coffin to our right slowly opens, revealing its red-eyed occupant to be very much alive, er...undead. A mummy on the opposite side with equally red-eyes pulls itself from beneath the surface, hissing angrily. "Go! Go! Go!" The jeep boosts in speed, careening through narrow crevices and corners while mummies awaken from their not-so-eternal slumber. As we escape the chamber, a mummy flings out of its upright coffin, taking a swipe at our rather terrible driver. After narrowly avoiding the grasp of a rogue mummy, we come to another Indiana Jones Adventure first: a fork in the road. Through the magic of the wifi-controlled jeeps, we are predestined to make a right or left turn towards the unknown, meaning each ride through this attraction has a 50% chance of being different from the last. Because we aren't actually on the ride, we'll go down both routes today...

Route 1

Veering left at a fork in the road, our jeep careens around a corner and into the lair of West, the ever-vicious water brother. Our jeep cautiously inches forward atop a rickety suspension bridge. From below, we see roaring whitewater, not to mention countless hungry crocodiles slowly perusing the surface looking for a handout. Roaring waterfalls from all sides of the cavern nearly mute the music playing in the inboard speakers, but not entirely. On the other side of the suspension bridge rests the giant stone mouth of West, opened widely for a delicious "lunch" of us. From above, we see the revealed night sky, which at first appears starry, but quickly transitions to raging storm clouds, complete with thunder and lightning ravaging the sanctity of it all.

Passing through the great stone mouth, we turn a sharp corner and enter an oddly-shaped chamber where water hastily pours down the walls and to the floor (via projection mapping). It even appears as if the room is beginning to fill with floodwaters of an unsafe size. West stands before us, gazing menacingly upon us. An unnatural growl generally grows in volume... A rather soaked Indy appears among the falling waters, calling out to us. "Careful! Careful! Uh-oh. See ya' later alligator!" Suddenly, West points his hand at us, summoning the monstrous figure of an absolutely humongous crocodile, almost like a prehistoric monster, to emerge from below the surface, launching out towards us with a mighty roar. The mighty crocodile bares several rows of razor-sharp teeth, each one sharper than the last. Is this the end?

Fortunately, our jeep moves upward and just out of the way, immediately put in the path of danger...a spider nest...and our jeep is stuck in a particularly nasty web...

Hideous shrieks and growls emit from among the monstrous webs. Huge, hairy-legs poke out over the sides of the webs as giant spiders with multiple-red-eyes peer down at us with a vicious hunger. Suddenly, a giant spider, at least the size of our jeep begins to descend from the ceiling with a bloodcurdling hiss. Once again, fate is on our side, allowing our jeep to break free of its containment and progress further into the temple, but not before putting us in the path of immediate danger once more...

Indiana+Jones+-+0030.jpg

Several statues of skeletal warriors line both sides of a long corridor, each wielding swords and spears. Our jeep hesitates for a moment, but quickly changes its "mind," moving forward with great speed. As if from nowhere, the statues begin to shoot poison darts (air blasts). Luckily, they all miss, but not before we round a sharp corner and enter the next scene and go down a drop in the dark...

Route 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujgH5eGG0E

Quickly veering right, we mistakenly stumble upon the lair of East, the cry baby brother of the Four Winds. In this distinctly-Egyptian-like chamber, we find ourselves slowly moving through a sand-dune-filled chamber awash in a dim, golden glow. Several statues of East line the walls, as do mosaics, illustrating the power of East's ability to "cry sand." East's head pokes up from a dune, and yes, he's crying. "Leave me! Leave me be!" The chamber is quickly thrown into an eerie black-lit glow as East's anger triggers a devastating sandstorm. Our jeep spins out of control as whirling winds of pure sand overwhelm the chamber (projection mapping). We hastily zip into the following chamber which is also affected by the massive storm.

Our jeep is "picked up" by the winds of the storm and sent careening around the air past jagged rocks and statues of East before crash-landing us on the rim of a safe alcove. Meandering down the resulting cavern takes us past swarms of hungry vampire bats whom have awoken as a result of the sandstorm. The rats-with-wings glare at us with green-eyes, some fluttering just inches above our upward-stretched arms. One particularly large bat near the end of the cavern (at least the size of a Great Dane) launches out as a jump scare, sending us toward a shrine where East waits impatiently for us. "Leave! LEAVE!" East stomps with his mighty foot, causing a devastating earthquake to send us into a rather pre-climactic climax of a scene.

8014494949_c1b55bf083_o.jpg

Ahead of us rests a rocky catacomb, littered with the skeletons of prior explorers, and...a jeep like our own, brutally destroyed by a fallen rock. The rocks that compose the whole of the catacomb attempt to dislodge from the walls and ceiling, shaking wildly. As we hastily move forward, we catch a glimpse of Indy hanging from an overhead rope. "Let me in! Let me in!" A massive, several-ton boulder appears in the darkness behind Indy, rolling closer and closer towards us as a result of the ongoing earthquake. "Let me out! Let me out!" Our jeep backs up a tad before the weak floor gives way and sends us down a steep drop and into the ride's next scene...

No matter which route we take, we end up in the cavernous, volcanic crater-esque lair of South, the fire brother. Our adventure has reached its peak. Lava slowly churns in a sweltering pit below, while waterfalls of pure magma pour from the walls and ceiling, adding to the general discomfort of the lair. A crumbling bridge made of stone bricks beckons us to cross.

XhaCRaf.jpg

As if from nowhere, the massive Wind reveals himself from a cloud of smoke, his monstrous face growing in close proximity to the guardrail-free side of the bridge. South simply emits a monstrous roar, causing the bridge to crackle and crumble from right beneath our jeep. Fortunately, we make it to the sturdier-side just in time, even avoiding the fiery-breath of South. But we're not out of trouble yet...we haven't experienced the grand finale just yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNKAb75Cj_k

Our jeep enters a huge circular chamber where all Four Winds have gathered in the flesh at a more natural size (ten feet tall), each facing one another. As expected, the Four Winds engage in weather-based combat as we spin around the glowing, green chamber. Indy stands in the middle of it all. "Hey, boys!" The Winds look downward. "Nature calls." Indy, clutching a staff ridden in ancient text, slams it into the earth, causing something quite magical to arise. Every bit of weather we've experienced thus far illuminates the chamber as the massive form of Mother Nature awakens, rising high above us. Our jeep comes to a halt. Mother Nature opens her pure-white eyes and looks down upon her sons. The Four Winds retract in shame. Mother Nature raises her hands upwards. In a blinding flash, our jeep darts out of the chamber backwards and down one final drop.

As we careen backwards, the figures of the Four Winds are seen hurtling through the air, shrieking in agony as they turn into statues once more. Colorful specks of "magic dust" settle down the brilliant white-light of the "flash," turning us face-forward and into the ride's post-climax. Indy, a bit beaten by all the bad weather looks at us from atop a collapsed statue of South, a statue for East, West, and North also in close proximity. "Now, don't tell me that wasn't big fun!" As soon as Indy finishes his comment, South's statue-eyes open, hinting at more adventure to come... Sallah's voice greets us as we reenter the station. "Friends! I celebrate your arrival! Did you find any gold or jewels? Heh-heh. I knew you would! When you return to the station, please gather all your belongings, and watch your step. Come back soon!"

Our jeep pulls into the station, we disembark down a long corridor and into the gift shop-converted tomb: Sallah's Souvenirs.

Once again, this amazing concept came from @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit to him. But for our next ride-through, everything you see will come directly from my mind. For our next ride-through, we shall take on the Disneyland Maine equivalent of quite possibly, the greatest dark ride in the entire Disney pantheon. All I can say is...

"Readers, beware...you're in for a scare."

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
The Haunted Mansion

42.jpg

Hidden from view, far away from the Forgotten Kingdom, is the abandoned structure of Gracey Manor, the former home of the dearly departed Ambrose Gracey, a wealthy sea captain who spent the last years of his life in the exotic Paradise Kingdom. He had Gracey Manor specifically built in the style of the ancestral Antebellum mansions of the deep American south, where he spent the years of his boyhood. Rumor has it that Gracey Manor was built upon a burial ground sacred to the early natives...but those are just rumors, right?

Of course, it didn't really help matters once Captain Gracey passed on and Indiana Jones disappeared into the Temple of the Four Winds. Within weeks, the Paradise Kingdom became the Forgotten Kingdom. And with it, Gracey Manor became bereft and abandoned. But yet, strange things have happened here. People said that lights were still on, ever flickering. People said that they could see shadows drifting past. People said that they could hear ungodly music being played from within the manor. And what's more, the door remained unlocked, meaning that anyone could enter and discover the mysterious secrets of Gracey Manor. And now, it's our turn.

hmhmhm536221.jpg

Passing through a labyrinth of low-hanging tree branches and stagnant swampwater, we arrive at the gates of Gracey Manor...although it doesn't seem to be called that anymore. A plaque on each wall now refers to this place as "The Haunted Mansion". Going through the gates, we begin our journey through the realms of the unknown with a trek through the Memento Mori Graveyard, a cemetery on the outskirts of the manor.

hmhearse.jpg

A black hearse sits on the outskirts of the graveyard, decorated with ornate carvings surrounding windows which look into the casket area revealing a sign from the manor's Ghost Relations Department which reads, "Reservations Accepted. Ghost Relations Department, Disneyland. Please do not apply in person!" Its most distinguishing factor is a girdle mounted on what appears to be an invisible, phantom horse. Even stranger, there is also a lead attached to the girdle which appears to float in mid-air, as if a phantom driver is still sitting in the driver's seat. You can even see horseshoe prints in the pavement leading to the spot where the phantom horse is positioned!

Once past this hearse, we start exploring the graveyard itself. Not only does Memento Mori play host to the graves of the departed Graceys, it also is the final resting place of those who never emerged from the Temple of the Four Winds. In fact, there are twenty-six victims here, all with very macabre names...
  • Asher T. Ashes
  • Clare Voince
  • Dustin T. Dust
  • Hail N. Hardy
  • Hap A. Rition
  • I. Emma Spook
  • I. M. Ready
  • I. Trudy Dew
  • Love U. Trudy
  • Metta Fisik
  • Paul Tergyst
  • Ray N. Carnation
  • Rusty Gates
  • Pearl E. Gates
  • U. R. Gone
  • Bea Witch
  • C. U. Later
  • G. I. Missyou
  • Hal Lusinashun
  • I. L. Beback
  • I. M. Mortal
  • I. Trudy Departed
  • Levi Tation
  • Manny Festation
  • M. T. Tomb
  • Rustin Peece
  • Theo Later
  • Wee G. Bord
At the northernmost reaches of the graveyard is the Family Plot, honoring the deceased members of the expansive Gracey family, as well as their closest acquaintances (most of which are named after the Imagineers who worked on this attraction).

zab1D8g.jpg

• "Master Gracey laid to rest. No mourning please, at his request. Farewell." A rose can often be found upon this grave, which is always kept in pristine condition.
  • "In memory of our patriarch, dear departed Grandpa Marc."
  • "At peaceful rest lies Brother Claude, planted here beneath this sod."
  • "Requiescat Francis Xavier. No time off for good behavior. R.I.P."
  • "Here lies darling Cousin Victor, he brewed a batch of bad elixir."
  • "Here lies Phineas Pock, laid to rest beneath this rock. R.I.P."
  • "Rolo Rumkin live and died a friendly bumpkin."
  • "Here rests Wathel R. Bender. He rode to glory on a fender. Peaceful Rest"
  • "Rest in Peace, Cameron Irving. You probably should've thought of swerving."
  • "In final rest, M. Dibjib. He had to eat that one last rib."
  • "Loyal friend Esteban Pine no longer has to wait in line."
  • "Julia Shrub, such a good sport when people would tease her for being so short."
  • "Aqui descansa Bradford Clemente, demaisiado beber de la fuente." This Spanish tombstone translates to "Here rests Bradford Clemente, he drank too much from the fountain." The tombstone also has the inscription of a grape hinting at what sort of fountain he died drinking from.
  • "Dear Sweet Leota, beloved by all, in regions beyond now but having a ball." Her tombstone has a mould of her face which occasional pushes out slightly and opens it's eyes to look at guests.
  • "Here lies good old Fred. A great big rock fell on his head."
  • "Rest in peace, Cousin Huet. We all know you didn't do it."
  • "Dear departed Brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave."
  • "Here lies a man named Martin. The lights went out on this old Spartan."
  • "R.I.P. good friend Gordon, now you've crossed the river Jordan."
  • "In memoriam Uncle Myall, here you'll lie for quite a while."
  • "R.I.P. Mister Sewell, victim of a dirty duel."
  • "First lady of the opera, our haunting Harriet searched for a tune but never could carry it."
  • "Colin died in the fall, it's a fact not withstanding. But the judges admired his form on the landing."
  • "Farewell forever, Mr. Frees. Your voice will carry on the breeze."
  • "Drink a toast to our friend Ken. Raise your glass and don't say 'when.'"
  • "While Brother Roland here reposes his soul's above, or one supposes."
  • "A train made a stain of absent-minded Uncle Blaine. Rest in Peace."
If that's not enough, there's also a pet cemetery, honoring their fallen animal friends.
  • Kai the Koi Fish, whose epitaph reads, "He has gone to a Betta place."
  • Penny the elephant. "Where pachyderms reside with worms within a tomb most elegant, you'll find long gone our mastodon, Beloved Penny, the elephant." Above the tomb is the statue of a mouse which presumably scared Penny to death due to the myth that elephants are terrified of mice. Penny's tomb is in reality a cleverly disguised exhaust chimney for the Disneyland Railroad.
  • Big Jake the dog. "Here lies my good dog Jake. Chasing a toad down a well was his one mistake."
  • Miss Kitty the cat. "In memoriam Miss Kitty. After losing eight lives you still had no fear, you caught a snake in your ninth and that's why you're here." Her tombstone even comes with dates marking all nine of her deaths!
  • Old Flybait the frog. "You didn't drink, you didn't smoke, I just can't figure out what made you croak."
  • Waddle, the duck. "Little Waddle saw the truck, but little Waddle didn't duck."
  • Stripey the skunk. "In loving memory of our pet Stripey, you may be departed but your scent will linger on."
  • Fifi the poodle. "So prim and proper and never lazy, all you do now is pack or double."
  • Rosie the pig. "She was a poor little pig but she bought the farm."
  • An unnamed cat with no epitaph which is surrounded by the small tombs of five birds.
  • An unnamed pet rat. "In memory of my Rat whom I loved, now he resides in realms above."
  • Long Legged Jeb the spider. "Got tangled up in his very own web."
  • An unnamed fish.
  • Eric, the snake. "Here lies my snake whose fatal mistake was frightening the gardener who carried a rake."
  • An unnamed rabbit.
  • An unnamed squirrel who's tomb resides underneath the shade of a tree.
  • Freddie the bat. The epitaph is written upside down and says "We'll miss you."
  • Buddy the dog. "Every dog has his day...too bad today was your last."
  • Lilac the skunk. "Long on curiosity, short on common scents."
  • Jed the cockatoo.
  • An unnamed monkey.
Once past the graveyard, we find ourselves walking a path along the stagnant swampwaters of Adventureland, before finding ourselves standing before Gracey Manor itself. Disneyland Maine's Haunted Mansion gets its looks from the much-maligned 2003 film, (The film was garbage, but you can't deny it had amazing production design) which, in turn, was inspired by the original Haunted Mansion in California, with some attributes taken from Florida's mansion, like the visible conservatory built into the right side. Atop the doorway is a clock, eternally stuck at XIII. A cupola stands prominently atop the highest tower, topped by a bat-shaped weathervane. Two dour-faced servants stand at the doors to Gracey Manor, only allowing a certain number of people in at the times. At last, the doors open for us, and we step tentatively inside...

36848998060_80bb91551e_b.jpg

Our first stop: the manor's grand Foyer. Wall-mounted candles and a cobweb-covered chandelier light the room, where a pair of doors await. A mirror is at the entrance. At the farthest end of the Foyer is a fireplace, above which hangs the portrait of Captain Ambrose Gracey himself. A pipe organ plays a dirge in the distance. More and more people join us inside the Foyer. Suddenly, the doors that lead back outside shut. The lights dim. The pipe organ gets louder and louder. An ominous voice speaks...

"When hinges creak in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls... Whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still... That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight."

As this voice speaks, the portrait of Captain Gracey seems to "decompose" before our eyes, ultimately ending up as nothing but a skeleton in a tattered suit. At the conclusion of this brief speech, that aforementioned pair of doors opens into the next room of the mansion: the Stretching Room.

2014-05-09_0002.jpg

In this octagonal room, four paintings, flanked by candle-wielding gargoyles, hang from the walls. We have a bearded gentleman holding a document, a beautiful young maiden holding a parasol, an old woman with a rose and a man in a bowler hat. Once all are inside this room, that voice that welcomed us speaks again...

"Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion. I am your host, your ghost host. Our tour begins here in this gallery. Here, where you see paintings of some of our guests as they appeared in their corruptible, mortal state. Kindly step all the way in please, and make room for everyone. There’s no turning back now."

Another servant, who has joined us in the Stretching Room, encourages us to move to the "dead center" of the room...and as we'll soon find out, there's a good reason to keep away from the walls. A hideous creak sounds suddenly, thus prompting the room to start stretching upwards, and the paintings elongate with the walls, revealing the cruel fate of their subjects: The bearded gentleman stands pantsless atop a lit keg of dynamite, the parasol maiden is standing on a frayed tightrope over the jaws of an alligator, the old woman is sitting upon her husband's gravestone -- a bust of whom sits in the forefront with an axe in his head -- and the man in the bowler hat is sitting on the shoulders of another man, who himself is sitting on the shoulders of a man waist-deep in quicksand.

"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it your imagination — hmm? And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows and no doors… which offers you this chilling challenge: to find a way out!" And with a chilling laugh, he adds on, "Of course, there's always my way..."

The lights ominously fade out. A crack of lightning illuminates the room! Thunder booms! The ceiling of the Stretching Room vanishes to reveal the mansion's cupola, where the skeletal body of the Ghost Host sways from a noose tied to the rafters! A piercing scream rattles our ears! The room goes pitch-black again, this time accompanied by the dreadful clatter of falling bones!

After the noise ceases, the lights just...come back on again. The ceiling is back to normal, as if the whole ordeal never happened. "Oh, I didn’t mean to frighten you prematurely. The real chills come later. Now, as they say, 'look alive,' and we’ll continue our little tour. And let’s all stay together, please." Another panel slides open, letting guests exit into the Portrait Corridor.

16174365459_593390a32e_b.jpg

The Portrait Corridor can easily be described as a cross between the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom equivalents. We begin in a similar corridor as Disneyland's. Here is a dimly lit corridor occasionally illuminated by flashing lightning. On the left-hand wall are windows looking out onto a storm-tossed night, complete with rolling clouds and rain, while a set of portraits hang on the wall to the right; whenever the lightning flashes, these paintings flicker briefly into grotesque and macabre images. Brass bat stanchions flank to length of the corridor. At the far end of the corridor, we turn to the right and approach the loading area, which is, in itself, part of the Portrait Corridor.

The loading area takes its design directly from the Magic Kingdom Haunted Mansion. (I really don't like the aesthetic of Disneyland's loading area.) Here, an endless procession of "doom buggies" emerges from the inky blackness of an unknown corridor and appears to head towards another. "And now, a carriage approaches to carry you into the boundless realm of the supernatural. Once on board, remain safely seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside. And watch your children, please." We step onto a moving walkway that keeps us at pace with our doom buggy, thus ensuring a smooth boarding process. "Do not pull down on the safety bar, please. I will lower it for you", our Ghost Host says, as an invisible force does just that. "And heed this warning: the spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times. Oh yes, and no flash pictures, please. We spirits are frightfully sensitive to bright lights."

Safe and sound in our doom buggy, we head off down the way, towards the horrifying and mysterious world of the unknown...

What do you think, guys? Are you liking what you see so far? The thrills and chills are only going to keep on coming, so until the next leg of the journey, please feel free to leave any feedback you have!

Oh, and it should be noted that like California and Paris, the Stretching Room doubles as an elevator that takes guests below the railroad line. In my mind, Haunted Mansion is exactly where its Parisian counterpart is located.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I've been super-busy this week, but now that I've got some time to spare, let's resume our tour of the Haunted Mansion.

26689306661_9ca978e04f_b.jpg

Heading further into Gracey Manor from the loading area, we pass underneath a stairwell and pass by another hallway with portraits lining the walls. Unlike in the Portrait Corridor, these subjects of the portraits stare back, their eyes dimly glowing and following guests as they proceed down the corridor. After passing through this unsettling hallway, we find ourselves in the mansion's Library, a chamber of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, crammed with dusty tomes. Invisible spirits pull books from the shelves, slide a rolling ladder back and forth, rock a chair and turn pages of a book on a side-table, while marble busts watch from alcoves among the shelves, seeming to turn and follow guests as they pass through.

"Our library is well-stocked with priceless first editions -- only ghost stories, of course -- and marble busts of the greatest ghost writers the literary world has ever known," the Ghost Host tells us. "They have all retired here, to the Haunted Mansion."

From the Library, we move on to the Music Room, where an invisible ghostly pianist plays a discordant tune. His shadow can be found cast upon the floor, illuminated by the moon. As we silently glide past, the Ghost Host continues his spiel from the Library. "Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here. But there’s room for 1,000. Any volunteers? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements may be made at the end of the tour."

10895854686_dbc0da94f4_b.jpg

Next stop: the Endless Staircase. As we travel deeper and deeper into the darkness, numerous staircases that seem to run in every direction fill our field of vision, some sideways and upside down; some ending in freestanding doors and others turning or leading off to points unknown. Occasionally, glowing green footprints manifest along these stairs, and any candelabras they pass flicker and sputter out before mysteriously relighting. At the top of the stairs, guests travel through a darkened area of whispering voices and eyes blinking in the dark; these eyes soon become the patterns of the demon wallpaper as the doom buggies pass into the Endless Hallway.

15167073321_79fb49cd7e_z.jpg

"We find it delightfully unlivable here in this ghostly retreat," our Ghost Host tells us as we enter. "Every room has wall-to-wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills. Shhh, listen!" Before us is a dark, seemingly endless hallway lined with doors. A lone candelabra floats in midair halfway down it. Flanking the sight on the right-hand side is a slightly-moving suit of armor; and on the left-hand side is an armchair that seemingly has a "face."

17064485615_8743f921b3_b.jpg

"All our ghosts have been dying to meet you!" the Ghost Host says as we pass the next room. "This one can hardly contain himself!" Indeed, here in the Conservatory, an undead occupant is is trying to get out. "Let me outta here! Let me outta here!" he desperately cries. His skeletal hands attempt to push the lid open, which, based on the nails sticking through the wood, was meant to stay sealed. "Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through", the Ghost Host says in reply. A raven perches on top of a stand with a withered funeral wreath. The Conservatory is practically choked with decaying and overgrown plants and vegetation. As we glide past the poor, struggling ghost, we notice that the vegetation is shifting... A long vine slithers past us, disappearing into shadow...

venus-flytrap1.jpg

Suddenly, a number of bizarre, flytrap-like plants emerge from the dense vegetation, firing "poison darts" at our doom buggy! (represented by bouts of air being blown at the riders) Fortunately, we sail past the danger just in time… only to come across another jungle danger...

exhibits_colby-trophy-room.jpg

This is Captain Gracey's former Trophy Room. Now that the ghosts have taken over the joint, the jungle animals Gracey killed for sport have been made alive again, their heads desperately baying and bellowing. Tiki relics on a table in the center of the room come to life, their eyes glowing as they pound out a beat on their drums, which sounds like a more upbeat version of the dirge we heard in the Foyer, and belt a haka in time. In the center of the room, above the dead fireplace, is another portrait of Captain Gracey, dressed in khaki, providing holding his rifle. When lightning strikes, the shadow of a fierce and very sharp claw appears ripping the picture... only to reveal that nothing has happened to it at all. The animals Gracey had mounted and stuffed still act like the predators they once were, but due to being nailed to their bases, they can't harm us. But that doesn't stop a massive lion from taking swipes at us!

Escaping from this uncertain doom, we are carried backward down the ominous Corridor of Doors, which is exactly what the name implies: a series of doors on either side of the car. Growls, screams and pleading voices emanate from behind them, as if something is trying to get out. Doors bend and pulsate, as if they are breathing, knockers clack and rattle, and the walls are adorned with some "family portraits" of corpses. At the end of the hall lies a grandfather clock, with its arms spinning wildly backwards and the clock striking 13. A shadow of a clawed hand passes over the face of the clock, marking the end of the corridor. "Perhaps Madame Leota can establish contact," the Ghost Host suggests. "She has a remarkable head for materializing the disembodied."

28534935_2.jpg

Here at Madame Leota's Seance Circle, the buggies travel in a circle facing a large table and high-backed chair in the center of the room (a raven perches on the back of the chair). Above this table floats a crystal ball containing the spirit of Madame Leota, chanting incantations that summon the spirits to appear.

"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!
Rap on a table, it's time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!
Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourines!
Creepies and crawlies, toads in a pond, let there be music from regions beyond!
Witches and wizards, wherever you dwell, give us a hint, by ringing a bell!"

As Leota chants, several instruments and other supernatural objects float through the darkness making noises to correspond with Madame Leota's spells, while a ghostly light seems to draw lines through the air on the far side of the room, perhaps even making the shape of a face.

35012933381_ff982ba3e3_b.jpg

From Madame Leota's, we find ourselves gliding before the mansion's Ballroom along a balcony. A big party is underway as a multitude of transparent spirits engage in all sorts of revelry. "The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize," the Ghost Host tells us as we enter. "They're assembling for a swinging wake, and they’ll be expecting me… I’ll see you all a little later." A long dining table covered with decayed floral arrangements and dusty silverware plays host to a birthday feast, and whenever the orange-haired birthday girl blows out the candles on her cake at the head of the table, the other ghosts seated there vanish, only to reappear when the candles light again; nearby, an old woman disappears and reappears in a rocking chair. Several haunts drift into the hall from a hearse parked in a doorway, while cloaked wraith-like phantoms fly in through the broken windows from a stormy night outside.

While a number of ghosts gad about on the chandeliers above the room -- including the notorious Pickwick, who hangs from a chandelier via his cane, a glass of wine in his free hand -- , a pair of duelists emerge from their respective paintings on the far wall and take shots at each other, forever reenacting their age-old feud. The open floor whirls with waltzing couples (who will face the right way this time) as a ghastly organist plays a waltz on a pipe organ, where tiny spirits emerge from the pipes. Upon reaching the end of the balcony, the doom buggies pass into the Attic.

AtticBride.jpg

The Attic is designed like you would design an attic in your home; strewn about with old, discarded junk--trunks, boxes, chests, etc. As we enter, ghostly voices seem to murmur "I do...", seeming to mock a beautiful young bride, looking forlorn and taunted. She is a beautiful young thing, with a fair face and light blue hair. She holds a candlestick in one hand and a bouquet in the other. Her heart can be seen beating, eternally for her lost love. This is Emily, and she was once betrothed to Ambrose Gracey. A portrait depicts the happy couple, only for Emily to disappear. Occasionally, the ghost of Ambrose can be found nearby, giving his love a tender kiss on the cheek. Now that they are in the afterlife, they can remain together. But I wonder...what did happen that caused Emily and Ambrose to never tie the knot?

2015-07-17_0119.jpg

As we leave the Attic, we come across the Hatbox Ghost, who stands with an old, knobby walking stick in his right hand and his namesake hatbox in his left. As riders look on, his head vanishes from his shoulders and reappears inside the hatbox, his top hat floating above the space where his head should be, only to have the head fade back into its original position moments later. Oddly enough, his head changes positions in time with Emily's heartbeat...maybe he's to blame for the lovers' sad fate? As we pass him by, he gives us a creepy smile not unlike that of a slasher from a horror film...

Alas, we have no time to find out, because we find ourselves being "flung out" of the house and into the stagnant swamps below. A raven caws at guests from a tree branch. The shapes of rising spirits can be seen everywhere. Welcome to the mansion's Graveyard. Here, among the rotting jungle foliage and unearthly sounds, the "swinging wake" is really kicking into gear!

4e8af-1.jpg

Upon reaching the ground, Silas Crump, the graveyard caretaker can be seen with his faithful dog, Bones, the two of them utterly petrified by the sight before them. Music is all around, while playful spooks pop-up from behind their tombstones. To the left, the Phantom Five, a musical group of ghouls, play a flute, a horn, a bagpipe, a harp, and pound on a tombstone to create an unearthly vibe. A King and Queen balance on a see-saw while a Duchess swings from a tree branch while she drinks a cup of tea. In the very back a skeletal wolf is seen howling at the moon. On the other side of the path, five singing busts come into view, bearing very vividly lit, expressive faces as they sing the ride's theme, "Grim Grinning Ghosts".

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake,
Spooks come out for a swinging wake.
Happy haunts materialize

and begin to vocalize.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

Now, don’t close your eyes and don’t try to hide,
For a silly spook may sit by your side.
Shrouded in a daft disguise,
they pretend to terrorize.

As the moon climbs high o’er the dead oak tree,
Spooks arrive for the midnight spree.
Creepy creeps with eerie eyes
start to shriek and harmonize.

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell,
Weird glows gleam where spirits dwell.
Restless bones etherealize,

rise as spooks of every size!"

Other ghosts materialize, gathering around a hearse and drinking tea. A mummy sits in his sarcophagus, trying to make contact with an elderly spirit who is just too deaf to understand him. Two "Phantoms of the Opera" blast their ghostly voices into the night. A beheaded knight, his executioner and his prisoner all sing as a trio, while the poor ghost behind them tombs himself up.

11997651114_f40f7b6ce3_b.jpg

As we exit the graveyard into a Mausoleum, we hear a very familiar voice: "Ah, there you are! And just in time… there’s a little matter I forgot to mention — beware of hitchhiking ghosts!" Indeed, we come across a trio of hitchhiking ghosts: Ezra, Gus and Phineas. "They have selected you to fill our quota, and they’ll haunt you until you return!" We soon realize that the Ghost Host's warning is true. We pass by a series of mirrors, showing that the Hitchhikers are sitting in our doom buggy!

We turn around to find ourselves passing through another part of the mausoleum, we come across the mansion's "Ghostess", who invites us to return. "Hurry back... Hurry back... Be sure to bring your death certificate... if you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now! We’ve been dying to have you..."

At last, we come across an exit to the mausoleum, and to the Haunted Mansion as a whole. Our Ghost Host gives us one final farewell: "Now I will raise the safety bar, and a ghost will follow you home!" And with the eerie cackle of the Ghost Host ever fading away, we head out through a long, candle-lit hallway, towards the relative safety of Adventureland. As we pass through this hallway, we hear the singing busts sing a haunting, somber reprise of "Grim Grinning Ghosts".

"If you would like to join our jamboree,
there's a simple rule that's compulsory.
Mortals pay a token fee;
rest in peace, the haunting's free.
So hurry back, we would like your company..."

And there we have it--Disneyland Maine's Haunted Mansion! What did you all think? Oh, and I must give a shout-out to @MANEATINGWREATH, who inspired me to put in the "possessed trophy room" scene, in order to link the ride to Adventureland.

I hope you enjoyed the ride-through, everyone. Now, we still have one more experience to experience here in Adventureland before we move on to some experiences in the other lands of the park. Hoist the main sail and scuttle the jib, because in our next post, our time in Adventureland shall end with a voyage along the rascally Pirates of the Caribbean!

MANEATINGWREATH

I've been super-busy this week, but now that I've got some time to spare, let's resume our tour of the Haunted Mansion.

26689306661_9ca978e04f_b.jpg

Heading further into Gracey Manor from the loading area, we pass underneath a stairwell and pass by another hallway with portraits lining the walls. Unlike in the Portrait Corridor, these subjects of the portraits stare back, their eyes dimly glowing and following guests as they proceed down the corridor. After passing through this unsettling hallway, we find ourselves in the mansion's Library, a chamber of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, crammed with dusty tomes. Invisible spirits pull books from the shelves, slide a rolling ladder back and forth, rock a chair and turn pages of a book on a side-table, while marble busts watch from alcoves among the shelves, seeming to turn and follow guests as they pass through.

"Our library is well-stocked with priceless first editions -- only ghost stories, of course -- and marble busts of the greatest ghost writers the literary world has ever known," the Ghost Host tells us. "They have all retired here, to the Haunted Mansion."

From the Library, we move on to the Music Room, where an invisible ghostly pianist plays a discordant tune. His shadow can be found cast upon the floor, illuminated by the moon. As we silently glide past, the Ghost Host continues his spiel from the Library. "Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here. But there’s room for 1,000. Any volunteers? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements may be made at the end of the tour."

10895854686_dbc0da94f4_b.jpg

Next stop: the Endless Staircase. As we travel deeper and deeper into the darkness, numerous staircases that seem to run in every direction fill our field of vision, some sideways and upside down; some ending in freestanding doors and others turning or leading off to points unknown. Occasionally, glowing green footprints manifest along these stairs, and any candelabras they pass flicker and sputter out before mysteriously relighting. At the top of the stairs, guests travel through a darkened area of whispering voices and eyes blinking in the dark; these eyes soon become the patterns of the demon wallpaper as the doom buggies pass into the Endless Hallway.

15167073321_79fb49cd7e_z.jpg

"We find it delightfully unlivable here in this ghostly retreat," our Ghost Host tells us as we enter. "Every room has wall-to-wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills. Shhh, listen!" Before us is a dark, seemingly endless hallway lined with doors. A lone candelabra floats in midair halfway down it. Flanking the sight on the right-hand side is a slightly-moving suit of armor; and on the left-hand side is an armchair that seemingly has a "face."

17064485615_8743f921b3_b.jpg

"All our ghosts have been dying to meet you!" the Ghost Host says as we pass the next room. "This one can hardly contain himself!" Indeed, here in the Conservatory, an undead occupant is is trying to get out. "Let me outta here! Let me outta here!" he desperately cries. His skeletal hands attempt to push the lid open, which, based on the nails sticking through the wood, was meant to stay sealed. "Unfortunately, they all seem to have trouble getting through", the Ghost Host says in reply. A raven perches on top of a stand with a withered funeral wreath. The Conservatory is practically choked with decaying and overgrown plants and vegetation. As we glide past the poor, struggling ghost, we notice that the vegetation is shifting... A long vine slithers past us, disappearing into shadow...

venus-flytrap1.jpg

Suddenly, a number of bizarre, flytrap-like plants emerge from the dense vegetation, firing "poison darts" at our doom buggy! (represented by bouts of air being blown at the riders) Fortunately, we sail past the danger just in time… only to come across another jungle danger...

exhibits_colby-trophy-room.jpg

This is Captain Gracey's former Trophy Room. Now that the ghosts have taken over the joint, the jungle animals Gracey killed for sport have been made alive again, their heads desperately baying and bellowing. Tiki relics on a table in the center of the room come to life, their eyes glowing as they pound out a beat on their drums, which sounds like a more upbeat version of the dirge we heard in the Foyer, and belt a haka in time. In the center of the room, above the dead fireplace, is another portrait of Captain Gracey, dressed in khaki, providing holding his rifle. When lightning strikes, the shadow of a fierce and very sharp claw appears ripping the picture... only to reveal that nothing has happened to it at all. The animals Gracey had mounted and stuffed still act like the predators they once were, but due to being nailed to their bases, they can't harm us. But that doesn't stop a massive lion from taking swipes at us!

Escaping from this uncertain doom, we are carried backward down the ominous Corridor of Doors, which is exactly what the name implies: a series of doors on either side of the car. Growls, screams and pleading voices emanate from behind them, as if something is trying to get out. Doors bend and pulsate, as if they are breathing, knockers clack and rattle, and the walls are adorned with some "family portraits" of corpses. At the end of the hall lies a grandfather clock, with its arms spinning wildly backwards and the clock striking 13. A shadow of a clawed hand passes over the face of the clock, marking the end of the corridor. "Perhaps Madame Leota can establish contact," the Ghost Host suggests. "She has a remarkable head for materializing the disembodied."

28534935_2.jpg

Here at Madame Leota's Seance Circle, the buggies travel in a circle facing a large table and high-backed chair in the center of the room (a raven perches on the back of the chair). Above this table floats a crystal ball containing the spirit of Madame Leota, chanting incantations that summon the spirits to appear.

"Serpents and spiders, tail of a rat, call in the spirits, wherever they’re at!
Rap on a table, it's time to respond. Send us a message from somewhere beyond!
Goblins and ghoulies from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourines!
Creepies and crawlies, toads in a pond, let there be music from regions beyond!
Witches and wizards, wherever you dwell, give us a hint, by ringing a bell!"

As Leota chants, several instruments and other supernatural objects float through the darkness making noises to correspond with Madame Leota's spells, while a ghostly light seems to draw lines through the air on the far side of the room, perhaps even making the shape of a face.

35012933381_ff982ba3e3_b.jpg

From Madame Leota's, we find ourselves gliding before the mansion's Ballroom along a balcony. A big party is underway as a multitude of transparent spirits engage in all sorts of revelry. "The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize," the Ghost Host tells us as we enter. "They're assembling for a swinging wake, and they’ll be expecting me… I’ll see you all a little later." A long dining table covered with decayed floral arrangements and dusty silverware plays host to a birthday feast, and whenever the orange-haired birthday girl blows out the candles on her cake at the head of the table, the other ghosts seated there vanish, only to reappear when the candles light again; nearby, an old woman disappears and reappears in a rocking chair. Several haunts drift into the hall from a hearse parked in a doorway, while cloaked wraith-like phantoms fly in through the broken windows from a stormy night outside.

While a number of ghosts gad about on the chandeliers above the room -- including the notorious Pickwick, who hangs from a chandelier via his cane, a glass of wine in his free hand -- , a pair of duelists emerge from their respective paintings on the far wall and take shots at each other, forever reenacting their age-old feud. The open floor whirls with waltzing couples (who will face the right way this time) as a ghastly organist plays a waltz on a pipe organ, where tiny spirits emerge from the pipes. Upon reaching the end of the balcony, the doom buggies pass into the Attic.

AtticBride.jpg

The Attic is designed like you would design an attic in your home; strewn about with old, discarded junk--trunks, boxes, chests, etc. As we enter, ghostly voices seem to murmur "I do...", seeming to mock a beautiful young bride, looking forlorn and taunted. She is a beautiful young thing, with a fair face and light blue hair. She holds a candlestick in one hand and a bouquet in the other. Her heart can be seen beating, eternally for her lost love. This is Emily, and she was once betrothed to Ambrose Gracey. A portrait depicts the happy couple, only for Emily to disappear. Occasionally, the ghost of Ambrose can be found nearby, giving his love a tender kiss on the cheek. Now that they are in the afterlife, they can remain together. But I wonder...what did happen that caused Emily and Ambrose to never tie the knot?

2015-07-17_0119.jpg

As we leave the Attic, we come across the Hatbox Ghost, who stands with an old, knobby walking stick in his right hand and his namesake hatbox in his left. As riders look on, his head vanishes from his shoulders and reappears inside the hatbox, his top hat floating above the space where his head should be, only to have the head fade back into its original position moments later. Oddly enough, his head changes positions in time with Emily's heartbeat...maybe he's to blame for the lovers' sad fate? As we pass him by, he gives us a creepy smile not unlike that of a slasher from a horror film...

Alas, we have no time to find out, because we find ourselves being "flung out" of the house and into the stagnant swamps below. A raven caws at guests from a tree branch. The shapes of rising spirits can be seen everywhere. Welcome to the mansion's Graveyard. Here, among the rotting jungle foliage and unearthly sounds, the "swinging wake" is really kicking into gear!

4e8af-1.jpg

Upon reaching the ground, Silas Crump, the graveyard caretaker can be seen with his faithful dog, Bones, the two of them utterly petrified by the sight before them. Music is all around, while playful spooks pop-up from behind their tombstones. To the left, the Phantom Five, a musical group of ghouls, play a flute, a horn, a bagpipe, a harp, and pound on a tombstone to create an unearthly vibe. A King and Queen balance on a see-saw while a Duchess swings from a tree branch while she drinks a cup of tea. In the very back a skeletal wolf is seen howling at the moon. On the other side of the path, five singing busts come into view, bearing very vividly lit, expressive faces as they sing the ride's theme, "Grim Grinning Ghosts".

"When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake,
Spooks come out for a swinging wake.
Happy haunts materialize

and begin to vocalize.

Now, don’t close your eyes and don’t try to hide,
For a silly spook may sit by your side.
Shrouded in a daft disguise,
they pretend to terrorize.

As the moon climbs high o’er the dead oak tree,
Spooks arrive for the midnight spree.
Creepy creeps with eerie eyes
start to shriek and harmonize.

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell,
Weird glows gleam where spirits dwell.
Restless bones etherealize,

rise as spooks of every size!"

Other ghosts materialize, gathering around a hearse and drinking tea. A mummy sits in his sarcophagus, trying to make contact with an elderly spirit who is just too deaf to understand him. Two "Phantoms of the Opera" blast their ghostly voices into the night. A beheaded knight, his executioner and his prisoner all sing as a trio, while the poor ghost behind them tombs himself up.

11997651114_f40f7b6ce3_b.jpg

As we exit the graveyard into a Mausoleum, we hear a very familiar voice: "Ah, there you are! And just in time… there’s a little matter I forgot to mention — beware of hitchhiking ghosts!" Indeed, we come across a trio of hitchhiking ghosts: Ezra, Gus and Phineas. "They have selected you to fill our quota, and they’ll haunt you until you return!" We soon realize that the Ghost Host's warning is true. We pass by a series of mirrors, showing that the Hitchhikers are sitting in our doom buggy!

We turn around to find ourselves passing through another part of the mausoleum, we come across the mansion's "Ghostess", who invites us to return. "Hurry back... Hurry back... Be sure to bring your death certificate... if you decide to join us. Make final arrangements now! We’ve been dying to have you..."

At last, we come across an exit to the mausoleum, and to the Haunted Mansion as a whole. Our Ghost Host gives us one final farewell: "Now I will raise the safety bar, and a ghost will follow you home!" And with the eerie cackle of the Ghost Host ever fading away, we head out through a long, candle-lit hallway, towards the relative safety of Adventureland. As we pass through this hallway, we hear the singing busts sing a haunting, somber reprise of "Grim Grinning Ghosts".

"If you would like to join our jamboree,
there's a simple rule that's compulsory.
Mortals pay a token fee;
rest in peace, the haunting's free.
So hurry back, we would like your company..."

And there we have it--Disneyland Maine's Haunted Mansion! What did you all think? Oh, and I must give a shout-out to @MANEATINGWREATH, who inspired me to put in the "possessed trophy room" scene, in order to link the ride to Adventureland.

I hope you enjoyed the ride-through, everyone. Now, we still have one more experience to experience here in Adventureland before we move on to some experiences in the other lands of the park. Hoist the main sail and scuttle the jib, because in our next post, our time in Adventureland shall end with a voyage along the rascally Pirates of the Caribbean!

It was good! But I think you could definitely have more links to Adventureland throughout, even subtle ones. For instance, I would have a decayed jungle or overgrown swamp be the background to the Music Room, Conservatory and Graveyard. The Haunted Mansion is one of those beautiful examples of an attraction that can be adapted to any surrounding; take for instance Phantom Manor. I would even have some different or additional ghosts in the Graveyard to further strengthen the Adventureland connection. It wouldn't hurt to have a khaki-clad hunter or animal ghost somewhere in there, maybe even some restless headhunter ghosts.

There is an unused Jungle Cruise gag that could hypothetically work in the Haunted Mansion. Imagine a ghost elephant with two hunters (riding it) firing at a rather disgruntled ghost tiger, who's rear-end is now burnt.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
It was good! But I think you could definitely have more links to Adventureland throughout, even subtle ones. For instance, I would have a decayed jungle or overgrown swamp be the background to the Music Room, Conservatory and Graveyard. The Haunted Mansion is one of those beautiful examples of an attraction that can be adapted to any surrounding; take for instance Phantom Manor. I would even have some different or additional ghosts in the Graveyard to further strengthen the Adventureland connection. It wouldn't hurt to have a khaki-clad hunter or animal ghost somewhere in there, maybe even some restless headhunter ghosts.

There is an unused Jungle Cruise gag that could hypothetically work in the Haunted Mansion. Imagine a ghost elephant with two hunters (riding it) firing at a rather disgruntled ghost tiger, who's rear-end is now burnt.

I did mention that the Graveyard takes place in the jungle, and I deliberately added the man-eating plants into the Conservatory, but you have a point. I think sometime later I'll go back and edit a few things in the walkthrough, again, taking from your suggestions. I should've specified that some of the portraits in the Portrait Corridor will feature jungle hunters and such like.

Pirates of the Caribbean

n014915_2020jun11_pirates-of-the-caribbean_16-9.jpg

In this Uncharted Lagoon, the golden days of piracy are brought back to life. And what better way to see life through the eyes of a pirate than with a rollicking voyage aboard Pirates of the Caribbean? The adventure begins at La Fortaleza, a once-empowered stronghold meant to protect the once-thriving seaport from unwanted visitors. Tragically, their efforts were proven futile; the iconic skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger fly proudly from the highest tower. Marking the entrance to La Fortaleza, and the ride, is a old, weathered pirate mast, bearing the words "Pirates of the Caribbean" upon its sail, and above that, a skeleton up in the crow’s nest, looking out into the distance with a telescope. Below the mast, you’ll find that the iconic green barker parrot sitting on a rock, inviting one and all to step inside.

Adventureland-0131.jpg

Once you step through the walls of the fortress (through an opening seemingly made by a cannonball), you find yourself deep in the catacombs of La Fortaleza, blackened with gunpowder and strewn with skeletons.

AD+PIrate+queue.jpg

Once inside the fort, a short entrance tunnel plays a menacing version of the ride's theme, "Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" (a tune which will become a familiar sound throughout our journey), but then the music goes silent. It needs to, because then we hear the soldiers of the fort preparing for a pirate attack. Essentially, this serves the same purpose as the original Disneyland’s queue: setting up the storyline. We will soon find out that things will soon turn disastrous for this Caribbean town. A captain of the guard is heard ordering the preparations for firing on the pirate ship, and occasionally blasts of cannon fire could be heard. This, combined with the occasional refrain of "Yo-Ho" echoing through the halls, is absolutely essential narrative information that also creates the eerie impression that the pirates could be around any corner.

From there, the queue diverges through different areas of the fort, coming back together at Pirate's Cove, a secret rear escape route. Through openings in the cave walls, a distant pirate ship can be seen in the harbor. Pirates are coming...

MoonlightBay.JPG

We escape through Pirate’s Cove and find ourselves standing on a rocky precipice, seemingly blown apart by an attack on the fort. We can see that we are now in an old swamp in the Caribbean. Palm trees and sand-lined beaches fill our field of vision, amidst settings of old shipwrecks. This all sets the mood for the adventure that’s to come.

maxresdefault.jpg

Heading down a path embedded in the rock formation, we head towards an old dock, where a never-ending parade of worn-out boats arrive under an arch in the rock formation (we pass right over them on the way to the dock), stop at the dock, pick up unlikely sailors, then make their way through the dense swamp, heading off for who knows where. Echoing throughout the loading area is the an old pirate’s voice: "Ahoy there, crew! For your safety, remain seated, keeping your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the boat—and watch your children. And no flash pictures! Prepare to make sail!"

Our excitement mounting, we board our boat and set sail. An aura of mystery and foreboding is upon us as we sail along a dark, misted river, surrounded by deep jungle foliage. In the distance, the sounds of an approaching waterfall can be heard. The boats continue deeper along the river, the mood becoming much more tense. Suddenly a gust of sea air blows us into the the deep, dark caverns of a rocky passage in the shape of a skull. Inside the caverns, flickering torches light the walls, illuminating several bats from overhead. The boat heads up a small incline hill, leading to the newly-added second floor of the ride. Once on the second floor, the boat briefly travels down through the cavern, before coming across a familiar voice. Ahead, the sound of an approaching waterfall draws nearer, as a skull plaque is seen just overhead.

PiratesOfTheCaribbean-talkingskull-061917-2.jpg

The skull speaks: "Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin’ in ev’ry cove, waitin’ to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin’ adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you’ve come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open, mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them what don’t obey."

Upon the conclusion of the spiel, the boats take a quick dip down into the deeper caverns of the passage. A high-spirited instrumental chorus of "Yo-Ho" plays as the boats continue through the caverns. The boats take another plunge down a second waterfall and into the ruins of a dark, musty grotto. Waterfalls cascade down from the rocky ceilings of the chamber, as a low mist covers the scene.

DSC_4070.jpg

The boats makes their way around large boulders and stagmites, revealing the remains of a disheveled skeleton crew washed on a forgotten beach. The pirates guard a treasure chest, which holds a plethora of gold and jewels. The boats continue to glide through the grotto, as a thunderstorm starts to erupt over our heads. We hear seagulls squealing and thunder pounding.

DisneylandPOTCDeadMansCove.jpg

Soon, we enter the abandoned hull of a sunken pirate ship. In the wake of the disaster, the pilot of the ship continues to steer the ship, as a fierce, severe hurricane erupts outside of the ship, illuminating the skeletal figure with brief flashes from the lightning. The boat passes through the Captain’s Quarters, where a pair of skeletal pirates are caught in the middle of a tough game of chess. In his bed, the skeletal Captain is examining a treasure map, while holding a mangled chalice. On the opposite end of the ship’s hull, a harpsichord plays a macabre version of the attraction’s theme. The boats exit out of the ship’s hull and into the caverns of the grotto again. The caverns are plentiful with huge piles of gold, treasure chests and unspeakable riches. In the far end of the cavern, the Aztec Chest from the original Pirates of the Caribbean film is seen.

The boats exit out of the glittering chamber and out into a dark chamber, where lightning flashes overhead. Projected onto the walls of the chamber, huge cyclones wrap around the rocky waters, as the boats make their way across the vast sea. Wind wraps around the boats, whipping at the guests. Mist spreads all throughout the ceiling of the room, making it seem as though a heavy rain is falling from the uneasy storm, without actually getting the guests wet. Throughout this ominous storm scene, ghastly voices warn the guests of the perils they face, as they travel to world’s end...

OLD PIRATE’S VOICE: You may not survive to pass this way again!

SKULL’S ECHO: Dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...dead men tell no tales, tales, tales, tales...

FOREBODING PIRATE’S VOICE: No fear have ye of evil curses says you. Aye? Hehehe. Properly warned ye be, says I.

Then, at the penultimate moment of chaos and confusion, the boats take another, sudden, third plunge. As the storm settles and we float back out into the ocean, we find ourselves heading towards the Caribbean town of Port Royal...and for that matter, in the midst of a great battle!

pirates9.jpg

On our left is the Wicked Wench, commandeered by a Paul Frees-voiced captain, pounding away with her cannons at a Spanish fort on the coast. The fort fights back with all of its might, but the winner of the battle is yet to be determined. Cannon fire blasts in-between the ship and fort, which happens to be the exact route of the guests, sometimes even getting them wet! Large impacts of wind hit the guests, simulating the feel of cannon fire. Our boat drifts past the battle and into Port Royal itself. Thank Heaven we survived that scene! But, no...we’re not safe yet. It appears that pirates have completely taken over the town! Those villainous scoundrels are everywhere!

DSC_0342.jpg

To our immediate right, the unfortunate mayor of the town, a man named Carlos, is being tortured in the town square. Carlos is tied up and suspended over a water well. His rope is being held by a pirate, who periodically dunks Carlos into the water and then pulls him out again. His wife watches in horror from a window above. Now, unlike the other versions of the ride, the pirates do not want to know the whereabouts of Jack Sparrow. They, like in the old days, want to know the whereabouts of the town's treasure. The reason why is very simple: Much like in the old days, the pirates are simply looking for treasure hidden within the town. Jack, who obviously isn’t a part of the crew, is secretly searching for the treasure himself, thus why he appears to have found it at the end of the ride. Speaking of which, he watches the scene from behind a set of cargo, his mind intrigued at the thought of treasure.

maxresdefault.jpg

Anyways, we float past the town square and find ourselves in another area of town. Here, the various bits of loot the pirates have stole are being auctioned off. The auctioneer, a fancy dressed pirate, is calling out orders as a fiery-redheaded female pirate shows them off. Our craft sails silently onward. We pass under a stone arch and find ourselves in a residential part of the town. There are balconies and staircases here and there. Throughout the town, several pirates are being chased away by some of the female villagers. Two pirates are seen stealing many goods from one specific house. Sitting below, near the waterline is a dapper pirate dressed in gold and blue. He smiles stupidly and has a habit of laughing due to the influence of alcohol. He appears to have quite of a load on. But then, which of the pirates here hasn’t? A scared woman is hiding in a barrel directly behind the drunkard. She slips her head up and takes a peek. Quickly, she retreats into the relative safety of the barrel. To the left of this sight, a pirate has fallen asleep in a drunken stupor, the key to the town’s treasure vault tightly gripped in one hand, and the map leading to it in his lap. On either side stands a horse and a goat, both in which walk a sneaky Jack attempts to steal the map and key. Right as Jack is about to get it, the animals make noise, causing him to retract as the pirate makes some horrid noises in the form of snores. Jack goes back and, of course, the animals react. This never-ending sequence is guaranteed to garner a few laughs.

disney-2013_073-Large.jpg

We sail on into the ride’s penultimate scene. Here, the pirates, in a drunken frenzy have set the entire town ablaze, as the buildings crackle with fire. The old fire effect has been removed and is replaced with Pepper’s Ghost effect flames, making the effect seem all the more realistic. The flames fill the night air with an orange glow. To our right, we pass one pirate who sits on a barrel with a bottle of rum. Several alley cats stand near him, one with it’s back arched, hissing wildly. Nearby, we find ourselves within arm’s length of a rowboat with two very intoxicated pirates seated in it and filled to overflowing with rum bottles, including some in the water nearby. On our left, we pass a trio of pirates singing "Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me" alongside a donkey and a dog. Nearby them is a man with one foot in a row boat, the other on the dock. His arms are loaded with loot, several hats are sitting atop his head. He tries to sing the song with the rest of the crowd, but his nervousness about stepping into the boat precludes him from participating. To our right, a drunken pirate sits happily in the mud with three little pigs. Like four old mates, they share music and rum. Beside the drunken pig pirate, is an archway leading to another section of town. Sitting above the arch is another drunken pirate. His hairy leg hangs directly over us, prompting us to hold our breath until we’ve passed the arch.

disney-2013_074.jpg

In the next part of town, we find ourselves in the village jail. Six pirates are locked in two cells that sit right next to each other--three in the first, three in the second. A furry dog sits casually, just out of reach of the cells. He hold in his innocent jaws the keys to the jail. The pirates are whistling, and cooing for the dog to come over. The dog seems immune to their pleas and sits there, nonchalantly.

6.jpeg

We enter into the final room, where Captain Jack Sparrow sits on a throne, surrounded by all sorts of treasures. He acknowledges the guests, before sending them on their way. As we leave Captain Jack behind, we find ourselves going up a waterfall. When we arrive at the top, it is evident that there are no more pirates. At last, our boat is floating back to the lagoon to safety. Safety by the way of the disembarking area. That old pirate voice we heard at the beginning is heard again: "When the boat stops, please be steppin’ out to yer right. All hands, prepare to go ashore by steppin’ out to yer right."

We are, indeed, safe from pirates for the time being. Returning to the Uncharted Lagoon, we decide to get out of there as quickly as possible and move on to the wilds of Frontierland. There are a few things there I'd like to check out up-close...

So, what do you all think? For our next ride-through, I think I'm in the mood for making a splash...

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
It looks great. Plus I've been working on a new thread that doesn't use Disney or Universal.

Thank you kindly, my friend.

Splash Mountain

161542_orig.jpg

Splash Mountain is one of the quintessential Disney thrill rides. There's no better way to cool off on a hot day than taking that five-story drop down into Br'er Rabbit's briar patch. But, although you'll get more than soaked when summer rolls around, the winters in Maine can be quite tough to get through. Therefore, Disneyland Maine's Splash Mountain will use the same safety considerations used in Tokyo's Splash Mountain. With that said, let's get on with the ride-through.

Now, since Splash Mountain marks the entrance to Folktale Forest, it's only fitting that it has folklore in its blood. Not only is the ride inspired by Song of the South, which in itself was inspired by Joel Chandler Harris' "Uncle Remus" stories, the mountain even has its own backstory! You see, somewhere in the American south, there exists a land they call the "New-nited States of Georgia". Discovered shortly after the American Civil War, this is a land where animals can walk and talk just like humans can. At the center of this land is the mighty Chickapin Hill, and it's here that the Beaver Brothers had built their sturdy new dam. But unbeknownst to them, Rackety Raccoon had also constructed a juice producing still in the same area. And it seems that while Rackety was concocting a new, experimental brew, he used a few too many blueberries with disastrous results. When his still exploded, it took the Beaver Brothers' dam with it and water began to rush downhill and through the many caves, burrows, holes, and tunnels that crisscrossed the mountain. From that moment on, the local critters started referring to Chickapin Hill as Splash Mountain, and well, the name stuck.

6219637824_2f35158948_b.jpg

The entrance to Splash Mountain is through an old barn used by the critters. Tacked onto the door is the front page of the critter’s local newspaper, the Rabbit Tales, sounding a warning: "You may get wet!" The barn is decorated like all the other versions of the ride, with all sorts of farm equipment. In addition to instrumental arrangements of tunes from Song of the South, you'll also hear such Southern ditties as "Polly Wolly Doodle", "Old McDonald" and "Froggy Went a-Courtin'." These songs are played on era appropriate instruments like the harmonica, banjo, and mouth harp, all of which were popular in the 19th century.

https://www.easywdw.com/reports/uydgoasball86.jpg

Upon reaching the second floor of the barn, we enter Tall Tale Tunnel, where some of the local critters live, laden with waterfalls and lights. Once through this tunnel, we enter a cave that serves as our loading area. Our watercraft will be an old log, hollowed out by sharp toothed beavers. As we board, we hear an unseen critter's voice saying: "For your safety, please stay seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the log. And be sure to watch your kids! Have a zip-a-dee-doo-dah ride!" Our journey begins as we leave the loading dock and make a sudden right turn and begin a climb up a sharp incline up out of the cave. As we do, we hear the voice of Uncle Remus himself (as played by James Baskett) beginning to tell his story: "Now, this here tale didn't happen just yesterday, nor the day before. 'Twas a long time ago. And in them days, everything was mighty satisfactual."

2014-05-10_0007.jpg

At the top of the incline we sail past Br'er Rabbit’s home in the briar patch and head toward the Log Lifter. The Log Lifter is an ingenious device created by the Beaver Brothers to haul logs to the top of Chickapin Hill. It’s also near the entrance to the Log Lifter that folks may get wet. In fact, if the timing is right, you’ll get wetter here than on the big plunge later on. You see, as the logs slide down Chickapin Hill they create a tremendous splash that aims right for the Log Lifter.

At the top of this next incline we find a number of indications that critters inhabit the mountain. First we happen upon a charlatan's wagon selling Critter Elixir. This potent brew guarantees to cure fleas, flat feet, and fur balls. Next is a small garden tended to by some unseen creature. Carrots, turnips, lettuce and cabbage are all ripe for the picking. Further on we find a still, presumably not Rackety's. Also dotting the landscape are numerous critter homes, including those of Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear. The strains of "How Do You Do" start playing, serving as an instrumental for this cruise. And be sure to take in the swing-around offering dramatic views of the park, including an almost-eye level look at the top of the drop down Chickapin Hill! Around the next bend, we enter a cave and take a sudden dip further into the interior of Splash Mountain, coming face-to-face with the critters themselves.

tokyo-disneysea-0965-640x408.jpg

Inside the cave, we're greeted by a number of fishing geese and frogs, welcoming us to their home with a lively rendition of "How Do You Do."

"“How do you do?” Mighty pleasant greetin’.
“How do you do?” Say it when you’re meetin’.
“How do you do?” With every one repeatin’
“Pretty good, sure as you’re born.”

What goes up is sure to come down.
A penny lost is a penny found.
“How do you do?”
And you “howdy” back.
A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

How do you do?
Fine, how are you?
How you come on?

Pretty good, sure as you’re born.

Stop jumpin’ around,
You’ll run out of breath!
Why don’t you sit back
And calm yourself?

You can hurry on now if you must.
We’ll do what we like, ’cause
That suits us.

How do you do? Mighty pleasant greetin’.
How do you do? Say it when you’re meetin’.
How do you do? With every one repeatin’

The weather is good, the fishin’ is fine.
Oh, what do we do with all of our time?
Well, we sit and we think and we wiggle our toes.
That’s what you ask us, that’s what we know!

How do you do?
Fine, how are you?
How you come on?

Pretty good, sure as you’re born."

splash-mountain-gallery04.jpg

Sailing past this welcome wagon, we come across Br'er Rabbit and Mr. Bluebird. Br'er Rabbit picks up his own verse of "How Do You Do", explaining to us that he's planning to leave his home in the Briar Patch -- and his troubles -- behind, unaware that his longtime foes, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are eavesdropping.

BR’ER RABBIT: I’m lookin’ for a little more adventure.

MR. BLUEBIRD: He’s headin’ for a little bit of fun now.

BR’ER RABBIT: I’m hopin’ for a little more excitement.

BR’ER RABBIT AND MR. BLUEBIRD: Time to be movin’ along!

BR’ER RABBIT: I’ve had enough of this ol’ briar patch.

MR. BLUEBIRD: He thinks an adventure’s about to hatch.
He’s movin’ on,

BR’ER RABBIT: Say goodbye to me.
Down at the Laughin’ Place is where I’ll be!

MR. BLUEBIRD: He’s lookin’ for a little more adventure.

BR’ER RABBIT: I’m headin’ for a little bit of fun now.

MR. BLUEBIRD: I’m hopin’ for a little more excitement,

BR’ER RABBIT AND MR. BLUEBIRD: Time to be movin’ along!

As Br'er Fox gloats about his forseeable victory, we soon realize that Br'er Rabbit may be hoping for too much. Indeed, not everyone thinks this is a good idea. Ol' Br'er Porcupine sings out a warning to Br'er Rabbit:

"He’s lookin’ for a little more adventure,
But he’s headin’ for a little bit of trouble.
He’s headin’ for a little bit of danger.
Time to be turnin’ around!

Careful, Br’er Rabbit, better mend your ways.
You’re headed for trouble one of these days!
Warnin’ this rabbit, I’m afraid, is a waste,
He’s makin’ his way to the Laughing Place.

He’s lookin’ for a little more adventure,
But he’s headin’ for a little bit of trouble.
He’s headin’ for a little bit of danger.
Time to be turnin’ around!
Time to be turnin around!"

splash-mountain-gallery05.jpg

In an effort to snare Br’er Rabbit, Br’er Fox sets a trap. But the dim-witted Br’er Bear stumbles into it and is caught instead, infuriating his short-tempered cohort. Safe on the other side of the river, Br’er Rabbit laughs and taunts the two: "Br'er Fox! No need to get hung up over Br'er Bear! You need a good dose of my Laughin' Place."

We pass by old Br'er Frog fishing on the back of Br'er Gator, then by some baby possums and Br'er Rabbit riding a handcar across a railroad trestle (as he does in California). You then see some critters, including the singing alligator seen in California and Japan, trying to hitch a ride as signs point the way to the Laughin' Place. Up ahead, Br'er Rabbit has painted a crude "To the Laughin' Place" sign on an old tree branch. Believing what he reads, the doltish Br'er Bear plunges head first into an opening and, well..."I don’t see no Laughin' Place. Just bees!" Moments later, a loud crack can be heard as the rotting tree trunk gives way and they fall into a cave below, taking us along with them. As we enter the cave, we see a number of beehives hanging from the ceiling and their angry inhabitants buzzing around. Further on we find Br'er Bear has landed on his back and has a beehive stuck on his nose. Br'er Rabbit is also on his back, laughing hysterically. He says to Br'er Bear, "I didn’t say this was your Laughin' Place, Br'er Bear—I said it was mine! And I’m laughin'!" But unbeknownst to Br’er Rabbit, Br’er Fox has snuck up behind him with a “beehive honey-trap surprise” of his own...

It turns out that Br'er Rabbit's laughing place is actually a flooded mine that is enjoyed by a number of critters. As we pass through this area, we see several of his friends having a rollicking good time. We see three animals riding geysers: a fox, a rabbit, and a turtle. A brown bear eats honey out of a broken beehive. A donkey showers under a waterfall. Little weasels pop in and out of nooks and crannies here and there. A hound dog spins around in a rowboat. A beaver plays a turtle like a drum, a stork plays a spider web like a harp and fountains burble and leap this way and that.

"Everybody’s got a Laughing Place,
A Laughing Place to go-ho-ho.
Take your frown, turn it upside-down,
And you’ll find yours we know-ho-ho!

Honey and rainbows on our way.
We laugh because our work is play.
Boy are we in luck!
We’re visiting our Laughing Place,
Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk!
Yuk yuk yuk!

Everybody’s got a Laughing Place,
Take a smile there, for a while,
And you’ll find yours, we know-ho-ho!

Honey and rainbows on your way.
Take that frown, turn it upside-dow,n
And soon you’ll find you’re here to stay.

Come on in, give us all a grin,
And you’ll find yours, I know-ho-ho!

Laughing is how we spend our day.
Plenty o’ fun is what we make.
Boy are we in luck!
We’re visiting our Laughing Place.
Yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk!

We’ve found one that’s filled with fun,
And you’ll find yours we know-ho-ho."

A Laughing Place to go-ho-ho!
Take that frown, turn it upside down,
And you’ll find yours we say-hey-hey.

And soon you’ll find you’re here to stay!"

brer-fox-splash-mountain-442x640.jpg

Suddenly, a crack of lightning and the ominous rumble of thunder ruin the moment. We find, to our horror, that Br'er Fox has captured Br'er Rabbit! "I bet you wish you’d never been born, huh, Br'er Rabbit?" the fox taunts. "Well, you mine! You mine! And you’ll not be gettin' away this time!" "Where are you takin' me, Br'er Fox?" the rabbit responds, a noticeable quiver in his voice. "Let me go!"

A dramatic underscore, the same heard in Florida and Tokyo, pounds in our ears as we traverse through the dark, spooky forests...a side of Chickapin Hill no one ever dares go beyond. Leafless trees with jagged branches tower over us. Upon one of these branches are two vultures dressed as undertakers, taunting us. "Time to be turning around...if only you could... So, you're looking for a laughin' place, eh? We'll show you our laughin' place!"

3784239268_8166175b2f_z.jpg

Passing underneath these birds, our log boards a lift hill and chugs up to the top of the mountain, the dramatic music growing louder and louder. Finally, near the top of the hill, we see Brer Fox’s lair. Inside, Brer Rabbit is tied to a barbeque spit next to a sizzling cauldron, Brer Fox (whose shadow is all we can see) menacing him, threatening to do such horrible things to him. Surprisingly, Br'er Rabbit is fine with that. "Go ahead, Br'er Fox, skin me if you like. But whatever you do, please don't fling me in that briar patch!" As we reach the top and emerge into the open daylight, all of the park spread out below us, Br'er Fox congratulates himself for thinking up that idea and announces to Br'er Rabbit that he's going to do just that. The log tips downward and we hurtle down that five-story drop into the Briar Patch, landing with a mighty splash!

SplashMountain-brerrabbit-horizontal-566620353df78ce161c9ef17.jpg

As we emerge from the Briar Patch, we sail along the edge of the Rivers of America, an instrumental of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" filling the air. Once we're back inside Splash Mountain, we pass under a banner reading "Welcome Home, Br'er Rabbit" and into the ride's grand finale. The centerpiece of this scene is the Zip-a-Dee Lady, a gigantic riverboat topped with chickens, foxes, can-caning geese, a goose in the pilot’s chair, and a pig at the organ. Nearby the Swamp Boys, a band made of three alligators, plays. All the critters sing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah."

"Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!
My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Welcoming back Br'er Rabbit today.
We always knew that he’d get away!

He’s had enough of movin' on now.
It’s where he’s born and bred in.
The briar patch is where he’s headin'!
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!

My oh my, what a wonderful day!
Plenty of sunshine heading our way.
We never doubted he’d get away!

Moving on taught him a lesson.
You’ve learned it well, Br'er Rabbit.
Gettin' caught's a nasty habit.
Wonderful feeling, feeling this way!

Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are gonna get it today.
That hungry gator's gettin' his way!

Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder.
It’s the truth, it’s actual,
Everything is satisfactual!

Wonderful feelling, wonderful day!"

3306395279_f5a0fe6707_b.jpg

We leave the room after seeing one last sight: Another band made up of a rooster on the washboard, a lanky wolf blowing into a cornjug, a beaver sawing a fiddle, a bear drumming on an upside-down washtub and a skunk playing a one-stringed instrument. (similar to the "thang" Tennessee plays at the Country Bear Jamboree) Indeed, we find that what the chorus said about the two ne'er-do-wells is true; Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear are trying to avoid the jaws of Br'er Gator, who is currently chompin' down on his tail. As the fox howls in pain, he angrily blames Br'er Bear for letting Br'er Rabbit get away, even though it was his own fault.

3306398325_15e69142b9_b.jpg

Cruising past them, we then see Br'er Rabbit and Mr. Bluebird, relaxing outside their Briar Patch home, happy to be home after a long day of almost getting eaten.

BR'ER RABBIT AND MR. BLUEBIRD: Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay,
Home sweet home is the lesson today.

BR'ER RABBIT: I'm sure glad to be here...

MR. BLUEBIRD: And he's here to stay!

BR'ER RABBIT: I'm through with movin' on now.
It's where I'm born and bred in,
The briar patch is where I'm headin'!

BR'ER RABBIT AND MR. BLUEBIRD: Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!

BR'ER RABBIT: I'm back in my home now and I'm sure gonna stay!

"Don't you worry, Mr. Bluebird," Br'er Rabbit says. "I learned my lesson!" To which the bluebird responds, "The briar patch is where you were born, and the briar patch is where you’re gonna stay." With a laugh, Br'er Rabbit says, "One of these days, I gotta thank Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear for flingin' me back home to my briar patch." As we leave the two to sing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" again, and pull back towards the loading area, we hear Uncle Remus finish the story: "So Br'er Rabbit took his foot in his hand and put out for home, where he belongs. And just like I told him in the first place, you can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far."

Finally, our log comes to a complete stop, and we are given the opportunity to unload and travel back to Folktale Forest for another adventure. The attraction exits out into the Chickapin Hill Photography Studio, where you can pick up a picture of your daring dive into the Briar Patch.

What'd you think of our time on Splash Mountain? Leave any feedback you want, my friends! Our next adventure will also take place here in Folktale Forest, so until then, have a "zip-a-dee-doo-dah day!"

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
The Rivers of Nature

Plitvice%20Lakes%20Croatia%20Waterfall%20Walkway%20by%20Michael%20Matti.jpg

If Splash Mountain seems too intense, there's another riverway in Frontierland's Folktale Forest that offers a far more gentler journey, a journey through The Rivers of Nature. This all-new attraction, created specifically for Disneyland Maine, is a gentle boat ride that takes you through a natural forest habitat, meeting all the various inhabitants of the forest, and seeing how they live. A Native American-inspired score serves as the underscore for the ride, providing a very natural feel. There's no spoken dialogue. This ride is a truly emotional experience, relying heavily on natural sights and sounds. It all culminates in a beautiful moment where we encounter...well, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's experience the ride for ourselves.

disney_1007_wthep.jpg

As I said in my initial post, Folktale Forest borrows its layout from Disneyland's Critter Country. Therefore, The Rivers of Nature is located where The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh would be located in Critter Country. Almost hidden from sight in Folktale Forest, The Rivers of Nature is marked by a haven of rocks, trees, waterfalls and just all around beauty. We meander through the woods, going through a mirror-image of the DL Winnie the Pooh queue (as pictured above), and come across a wooden dock, where a parade of worn-out wooden boats passes through, guests stepping in and out as they prepare to take their journey. Now, if the idea of wooden boats reminds you of Splash Mountain just steps away, fear not. This ride is as gentle as a quiet river. The journey begins as you pass by the Klondike Inn, hugging the banks of the Rivers of America, and into the rocky structure itself. Native American flute music fills our ears as we enter the dark caverns. Suddenly, from within the caverns, the stars appear overhead. They turn into constellations, immersing us in a beautiful night atmosphere.

static1.squarespace-3.jpg

Soon, we find ourselves deep in the heart of the forest. Trees, flowers, plants and small animals like snakes, frogs and bugs all reside here, living peacefully in harmony with each other and the land. The trees occasionally turn bright green and send a beautiful green beam towards a green sky-bird that flies past. What is this creature? But before we can guess, the bird flies off...for now.

beavervalley.jpg

A few feet away, we come across a beaver colony. In a scene taken out of Nature's Wonderland, friendly beavers build their dams and chop down trees in a sense of true companionship and cooperation. The bird from before flies past, and the beavers nod their heads respectfully. Again, our curiosity peaks. Who is this bird, and why were the beavers acknowledging it?

2fb1270e8cfc51c79c7c49f7ea3f41de.jpg

We haven't time to wonder, because we find ourselves in Bear Country. These bears are gentle, casually scratching their backs against trees, and foraging for fish. The bird again flies past, and the bears acknowledge it. Why???

living-with-the-land-prairie-buffalo.jpg

Say, is the temperature rising or it is just us? That's because we've wondered out of the forest, and into the desert. Cacti and prairie dogs roam the desert, as it gives way to the prairies, where the buffalo roam, and the deer and the antelope play. As we leave, we make an unsettling discovery...is that a forest fire in the distance?

during_a_forest_fire___by_jinju.jpg

The animals desperately run through the burning branches, trying to get away. The fire rages stronger and stronger...until, the bird from before appears. With the swoop of its mighty wings, the fire stops. The animals turn round to face the bird and bow to it. Through the use of SFX, it's revealed that the bird is actually the spirit of Mother Nature, represented here as a green-skinned woman with flowers in her hair, and wearing a long green cloak. With a wave of her hand, we suddenly find ourselves in...

...the true Heart of the Forest. This is where all flora and fauna, fish and fowl, animal and human, live in harmony. The trees intertwine, the flowers blossom, it all adds up to Disney's biggest and most elaborate show scene. As we circle through the Heart, a choir joins the triumphant Native American music. It's just too beautiful, I cannot even describe it in mere words. Just close your eyes and picture a world where nature rules supreme. Isn't it beautiful?

0417farmhouse.jpg

As we head out, we come across one last scene. It's a scene similar to the "American farm" scene from EPCOT's Living with the Land, but it's night instead of dawn. A boy is casually looking up at the star-and-moonlit sky, in awe. Suddenly, the bird flies past. The trees give off the green beam again. The boy gasps. The bird turns back into Mother Nature, and gives the boy a reassuring smile. With that, she turns back into the bird and flies off into the night. We pass through yet another constellation-filled cavern and return to the old dock.

Wasn't that exhilarating? Next stop, Fantasyland. And boy, oh boy, I've got tons of rides I want to get a closer look at there, so expect the first of this multitude of ride-throughs coming your way soon! Until then, keep on sending that feedback and I'll see you next time!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
And now, we start going through many, many, many ride-throughs in Fantasyland. And where better to begin than in Storybook Village, with something from the mind of @D Hindley...

Fantasia

9.1_animation_promo_fantasia.jpg

Enter a musical world of your choosing and “conduct” a symphonic landscape inspired by Walt Disney’s triumphant Fantasia!

Fantasia is an E-ticket trackless dark ride, a massive masterpiece requiring almost all the show space on Storybook Village's west side. Its high capacity, branching ride experiences and regular updates all promise a tremendous improvement which shall delight families for years to come!

24768544547_cd3256e958_o_d.jpg

Fantasia is found within the confines of a sorcerer's alchemy lab. Impressive stonework still forms towers and turrets. The walls rot and crumble with age, held in place by twisted tree roots. From an upstairs window, keen guests will notice the sorcerer Yen Sid occasionally appearing from behind velvet curtains. He surveys the land, silently, judgmentally, yet benevolently. Yen Sid invites guests to a "concert program" within his fortress. With his powerful magic, Yen Sid has joined together time periods, drawing together classic music spanning the centuries. Scattered all about the fortress’s base are musical instruments from innumerable cultures and eras. Yen Sid's naïve-yet-eager apprentice, one Mickey Mouse, has tossed together hand drawn signs promoting his master’s concert. Hastily drawn, smeared with wet paint, Mickey's glove-prints staining the nearby fortress walls. These signs ask guests to "choose your own program" and "conduct your world."

39636736761_b621265c89_o_d.jpg

Following outdoors overflow queueing amongst music-themed topiaries, guests enter Yen Sid's laboratories along the queue. Here, they go around past an old stone chamber: Yen Sid's private chamber. Here, he practices his powerful magic. The great sorcerer’s shadow projects on the wall, commanding smoke. The smoke coalesces from a cauldron – achieved with a simple Musion effect (projections combined with Pepper’s Ghost) – forming into a lovely butterfly…and then disintegrating.

4459394855_0c3ea04ac2.jpg

Guests continue further into the cold stone antechambers. Magically, these rooms start to resemble a timeless concert hall without ever losing their medieval masonry texture. The sounds of a distant orchestra to echo through the halls – music from both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, all the pieces not presently featured on the ride. This main chamber is a prominent example of an interactive queue. Musical instruments appear on display. Guests are invited to toot, whistle, plunk and boom to their hearts content. Play the xylophones. Bang the drum. Pluck a violin’s strings. Blow air into the brass section. Better still, the far corner features a screen – tastefully held within a medieval stone arch – housing Fantasia's Soundtrack. This anthropomorphized sound graph reacts to guests’ cacophony of sounds in an adorable, colorful manner.

film5_1.jpg

Down further halls, with framed concept art for the assorted Fantasia segments. Finally guests reach a fork – the FastPass merge. Here a cast member clad in usher black tie directs guests to their concert hall section. In fact, it's guest choice: Four Fantasia segments, and four unique ride experiences, each now with separate branching queues. With so many tuneful tales to choose from, the choice is rarely the same. Here upon opening, Fantasia offers a choice between The Nutcracker Suite, Dance of the Hours, Night on Bald Mountain or Pines of Rome. Like Fantasyland's original dark ride breakdown, these options represent different moods: exciting, humorous, frightening and beautiful, respectively.

Guests continue down one of four final queue halls, with décor dedicated to their unique choice. Here they’ll see sheet music, artwork and appropriate props. Loading is found on four distinct platforms in a row. In practice, Fantasia loads similarly to other trackless dark rides, like Mystic Manor or Pooh’s Hunny Hunt, with four vehicles leaving at once. (One vehicle for each segment.) This loading takes place within an abstracted, minimalist stone concert hall. In place of the traditional dark ride mural, here we find a velvet curtain with projected silhouettes or the orchestra members. They tune and practice their instruments. There is an uncontainable energy; the concert is ready to begin!

boxseats-cort.gif

The ride vehicles resemble balcony box seats, with two rows of three. Each row features a interactive addition to the trackless genre: a touchscreen. These are tastefully, subtly incorporated, much like those on Efteling’s Symbolica. When the screens light up – as they’ll do three times during the ride – it’s an invitation for guests to "conduct" the music and the landscape before them. Combined with the trackless vehicles' wonderful ability to dance, glide and spin, this feature shall further immerse guests into the enveloping world of classical music which lies ahead!

As the cast member behind her "ride op" conductor's podium raps her baton, the vehicles move out. They pass through spreading curtains, and face a proscenium arch...

conductor-image.jpg

Here via screen projection is the silhouette of master conductor Leopold Stokowski. With "Fantasound" onboard speakers, riders hear the music begin to swell. Fantasia narrator Deems Taylor also appears over the speakers, introducing the ride’s first act: "There are three kinds of music on this Fantasia program. First up is the kind of music that exists simply for its own sake: Absolute music."

Act One: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Vehicles dance together into an abstract chamber of light and sound, to the tune of Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor." (With its screens and on-ride soundtrack, Fantasia is designed to change out regularly. This sequence can easily feature Beethoven’s "Fifth Symphony" from Fantasia 2000 on occasion instead.)

film1_1.jpg

Riders slowly transition from the concert hall into fantasy. Projected musician shadows display against plain walls, all dominated by ever-shifting primary colors. Vehicles move in time with their music. As the harpist plays, the lights turn cool. As the drummer pounds, lights turn red.

c17f76f7989d550c748745b3b0acb5e9.jpg

Here vehicles split along our first branching path. "Exciting" and "humorous" glide left towards the orchestra's String Section, while "frightening" and "beautiful" veer right to the Brass Section. Either way, these two vehicles join two more from the previous dispatch in a fog-shrouded room of pure abstraction. Physical set pieces suggest a mental landscape inspired by music. Colorful discs sail around overhead. For the String Section, strange poles (vaguely reminiscent of violin bows) dance from behind an undulating hill. Lights flash across strings. For the Brass Section, abstracted trombone handles rise up from swirling horn-shaped pipes. Colors race across a tangle of tubes. Vehicles pause before different screens. Their touchscreens light up, inviting guests to “conduct.” The patterns they create are duplicated on the large screens. Patterns form of clouds, of lights, of shapes…all animated abstractions familiar from Fantasia’s opening sequence.

Act Two: Branching Programs
"The next kind of music is the type that, while it has no specific plot, does paint a series or more or less definite pictures."

Vehicles reverse into darkness, where they secretly branch away once again. Here for Act Two, guests enjoy their unique musical selection. No matter their choice, each Act Two follows a similar pattern. First solo vehicles glide through a small hallway mostly defined by screens, again allowing guests to “conduct” live-rendered imagery. (Very easy to switch out as needed whenever Fantasia alters its segments.) The second scene joins the solo vehicle with the two vehicles which left ahead of it on this same path. (By "mixing and matching" vehicle groups like this, Fantasia can pack multiple cars together in a smaller space like similar trackless rides.) Here vehicles dance together to the music surrounded by physical scenery and animatronics. Here’s how this works in practice:

Act 2A: The Nutcracker Suite (The Exciting Piece)

FAN-Frost-Fairy-1.gif

To the strains of the "Waltz of the Flowers" sequence of Tchaikovsky's masterpiece, riders pirouette through forest scenes depicting the seasons. Screens, framed by physical trees and vines, display beautiful 1940 animation. Guests "conduct" the fall leaves, winter snowflakes and other elements, all while nature sprites dance and celebrate.

fantasia-chinese-dance.jpg

Then riders begin the Mushroom Dance, surrounded by charming animatronic Chinese mushrooms. Trackless vehicles spin and swirl around each other in tune with the music.

Act 2B: Dance of the Hours (The Humorous Piece)

7f8b93-20150911-fantasia-dance-of-the-hours.jpg

Ponchielli’s "Dance of the Hours" begins in a hall of Greco-Roman columns, which frame screens of dancing elephants and ostriches. While these clumsy animals struggle to perform a delicate ballet, guests "conduct" bubbles flying from the elephants’ trunks. The dance room introduces riders to animatronic hippos and crocodiles, along with the ballet’s rousing upbeat crescendo. Once again, trackless vehicles peerlessly dance to the tunes!

Act 2C: Night on Bald Mountain (The Frightening Piece)

night_on_bald_mountain_monster.jpg

Vehicles cautiously creep amidst towering crags. Between them, guests glimpse horrifying specters rises from their tombs. They conduct these eerie demons. The music builds and builds, ultimately revealing a huge animatronic Chernabog flanked by flame effects! Vehicles dance in a circle around their profane overlord, surrounded by screens of gyrating demon revelers!

Act 2D: Pines of Rome (The Beautiful Piece)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95TRjGFaPY

flying-whales.jpg

Icy glacier walls frame a starry nighttime under the Aurora Borealis. Guests conduct flocks of seabirds. As the music builds, a pod of whales rises from the ocean’s surface below…and flies into the heavens. Vehicles dance gracefully, beatifically around a glowing spectral orb. Above them, animatronic whales soar weightlessly, in a scene of pure transcendence.

NOTE: All these scenes – even the animatronics – are designed to be regularly changed out, much like Haunted Mansion and its holiday overlay in California. This allows us to occasionally feature other beloved Fantasia segments in the future, bringing guests back again and again. These future segments shall include "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" (exciting), "Rhapsody in Blue" and "Carnival of the Animals" (humorous), "The Firebird" and "The Rite of Spring" (frightening), and "The Pastoral Symphony" and "Pomp and Circumstance" (beautiful).

As Act Two ends, the fours vehicles secretly join together within a star field room. Deems Taylor introduces the ride’s climax as the on-ride music changes: "Finally there is the kind of music which tells a definite story. A very ancient story, about a sorcerer who had an apprentice…"

Act Three: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_heq0a3bwY

the_sorcerer_s_apprentice_by_glimpen-dadmcfc.jpg

Paul Dukas' symphonic poem – the most beloved and most famous of all of Fantasia's segments – carries us into a chamber. Vehicles pause before an animatronic Mickey Mouse asleep at a desk, dreaming, the shadows of hardworking brooms projected on the wall behind. In a Pepper's ghost effect, Mickey's spirit seems to rise from his body and float away. We follow Mickey's spirit to a mighty crag. Here, animatronic Mickey with sorcerer's hat magically commands the stars above and the waves below. Guests similarly control the earth and heavens with their touchscreens, performing feats of wondrous wizardry right alongside Mickey!

Fantasia1waltdisneystudios.jpg

Soon we awake from our reverie! We’re back within Yen Sid’s masonic chambers, where a veritable army of living broomsticks endlessly fills a water well. These animatronic brooms are among Fantasia's neatest tricks – they too are trackless, able to weave and dance amongst ride vehicles! This is the ride’s climax, held in a massive room with 12 ride vehicles (three dispatches), much like the Heffalump room in Pooh’s Hunny Hunt. Trackless cars zoom from one show scene to another. They spin around broomsticks. They pause by a hallway where Mickey’s shadow is scene chopping brooms into splinters. They skirt around the well, overflowing with projected water. Gliding across a "watery" floor (which is really just blue lighting), vehicles pass an animatronic Mickey upon a gigantic book struggling to reverse his spell. As a grand finale, the four original vehicles twirl together around a deadly whirlpool projected upon the floor. Endless rows of brooms march the stairs above us!

4460174754_09064d7639_o.jpg

A huge door swings open! An animatronic Yen Sid spreads his arms, and the waters splash away (minor spray effects). Vehicles sit atop a hidden motion base – another Hunny Hunt trick – where they feel a little rumble with every downbeat, with every gesture of Yen Sid’s arms. The music crescendos…and ends.

Fantasia-Mickey-and-Conductor.gif

The concert program concludes. Escaping vehicles pause before a final screen of conductor Leopold Stokowski. Mickey Mouse, also in silhouette, rushes up to congratulate Mr. Stokowski. They shake hands. "Mr. Stokowski!" Mickey says. "Mr. Stokowski! My congratulations, sir." "Congratulations to you, Mickey," is the conductor's response. "Gee, thanks! Well, uh, so long. I'll be seein' ya!" "Goodbye."

Vehicles lastly arrive in a separate unloading chamber, the orchestra’s temporary backstage within Yen Sid's fortress. Soggy instruments are chaotically strewn about, suggesting the aftermath of Mickey’s misadventure with the brooms. (Also in here is a dedicated ADA loading platform.) Guests unload amidst this mess, and exit via stone hallways back out into Fantasyland.

With its next-gen trackless ride system, branching paths, and interactive elements, Fantasia should bring a new form of energy to Fantasyland without sacrificing Walt’s original touch. It will appeal to the entire family. It will wonderfully compliment classics like Pinocchio's Daring Journey and Peter Pan's Flight. Best of all, Mickey Mouse – in his most iconic role – gets to star in another ride! (The other one, of course, being Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida.)

And there we have it: the first of many ride-throughs in Fantasyland! Once again, all credit goes to @D Hindley for this epic idea. Now, for my next post, since the next two rides I want to show you just happen to share a complex, we'll visit them both in one post!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Pinocchio's Daring Journey

A-Daring-Journey.jpg

Across the way from Yen Sid's laboratory, we find the entrance to Pinocchio's Daring Journey. Now, Disneyland Maine's version of this classic dark ride will be a bit more, shall we say, extravagant compared to the other versions of the ride. The rather rushed story will be fleshed out a bit, and a few new scenes will be sprinkled in here and there. But don't take my word for it. Let's hop right to it!

The ride's exterior is modeled after the beautiful exterior of Disneyland’s ride. Passing underneath the theater entrance, we find that although the exterior may look Californian, the queue takes inspiration from Tokyo Disneyland’s version of the ride. After passing through those wooden switchbacks, we arrive at the loading area, which also looks like the Tokyo version. Passing through the loading area is a never-ending parade of woodcarver’s carts, ready to take guests through the world of Pinocchio. As we wait to board, we hear Jiminy Cricket provide the safety spiel. "Hello, friends. Cricket's the name. Jiminy Cricket. And you're about to embark on a journey with my pal, Pinocchio. But before you do, here's a few words of advice: For a safe ride, remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside and parents, be sure to watch your kids. And please, no food, drink or smoking, either. Well, I'll see you under the wishing star. And remember, always let your conscience be your guide."

Once inside our cart, we set off. Passing by a few village facades, a la Tokyo, we pass under an arch and towards Geppetto's workshop at night. The Wishing Star shines high above as we stop outside his workshop. Through the window, we see a workbench where a lifeless puppet--namely, Pinocchio--is seated. Suddenly, a holographic Blue Fairy appears, taps the puppet with her wand, and brings him to life. In doing so, she says: "Little puppet made of pine... wake! The gift of life is thine." The puppet moves around and says, "I can move! I can talk!" The Blue Fairy adds, "Prove yourself brave, truthful and unselfish, and someday you'll be a real boy." She turns to Jiminy Cricket standing nearby and says, "Mr. Cricket, I dub thee Pinocchio's conscience." Then she disappears.

As we pick up motion, we hear Geppetto exclaim, "It's my wish come true! Pinocchio's alive! But now you've got to go to school." The projected night turns to day as we head out onto the cobblestone streets. The instrumental strains of “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee” fill the air. We see Pinocchio, with books in one hand, and an apple in the other, being enticed by Foulfellow and Gideon. "My dear Pinocchio", Foulfellow says, "you should take the easy road to success...to the theater!" As the two rogues escort Pinocchio toward the theater, Jiminy appears again and calls out in protest, "Wait, Pinoke! You can't go with those ill winds in cheap clothing! You can't be an actor! You've got to go to school!" But this has no effect as you approach the entrance to Stromboli’s puppet theater…

2921426857_f48948f1b4.jpg

Entering the puppet theater, we see Pinocchio performing "I’ve Got No Strings" alongside a Dutch puppet and a French puppet. But as we leave, we hear Stromboli laughing sadistically as he bellows, "You will never get away from Stromboli now!"

pinocchios-daring-journey_primary3.jpg

You then enter the backstage of the theater, similar to other versions out there. Here, other puppets are imprisoned in cages, Pinocchio especially, in a bird cage, as Stromboli leers at him menacingly, .while saying, "This will be your new home, my little wooden gold mine!" You go past the both of them, past Jiminy Cricket pointing the way out. You go through the giant cage and out into the cobblestone street. Heading back out onto the streets, we come across a fork-in-the-road. Foulfellow and Gideon are standing beside it. It looks they've been messing with the directional signs. One points the way to Geppetto's Workshop and the other points the way to Pleasure Island. From the way the signs are pointing, you (and by extension, Pinocchio) seem headed in the right direction, but then the fox laughs uproariously while the cat hiccups. Jiminy calls out, "Wait! You're going the wrong way!" Too late, it seems you are now crossing a stone bridge over some water, towards Pleasure Island…

pinocchios-daring-journey-00.jpg

Our trip through Pleasure Island should be both warm and inviting, yet strange and disorienting altogether. There are various sights to be seen, such as a candy cane Ferris wheel and a lollipop-themed merry-go-round. To the right, you see a literal soda fountain; that is, a fountain that spouts soda. And rising in the background is an ice cream mountain down which lemonade cascades. In the foreground, roller coaster tracks crisscross. In the sky, fireworks explode. One car travels through a gingerbread house, and below a tree adorned with donuts. We pass by a giant box of popcorn, and a giant candy apple with a green worm popping its head out.

We go past Foulfellow and Gideon playing a hi-striker game, and enter the Rough House, in front of which a figure of a tough guy wearing a derby and wielding a club entices boys to come in and pick a fight, only to split up one more time. We then go along Tobacco Row, where wooden Indians stand at the ready to toss out cigars. On the ground, the road is paved as a giant strip of chewing tobacco; and then for a brief jaunt through the Model Home, open for destruction. A giant stained glass window had been shattered completely and inside, furniture is wrecked, mud tracks crisscross everywhere and the Mona Lisa is hanging at a cockeyed angle and is wearing a mustache besides.

pinocchios-daring-journey_primary6.jpg

Finally, we approach the Pool Hall, shaped like a giant 8-ball. ere, the truth about Pleasure Island hits, as Lampwick starts turning into a donkey before the terrified eyes of Pinocchio. Meanwhile, the Coachman stands menacingly off to the side and says, "So, you blokes choose the easy life, do ya?" Leaving the Pool Hall, you see donkeys in crates, some wearing boys' clothing and either braying a melancholy bray or crying, "Mama!" and "I wanna go home!" while the Coachman says, "You boys have had your fun!" Meanwhile, Jiminy point the way out of Pleasure Island as he cries, "We gotta get outta here, before it's too late!" Just then, you come face-to-face with the Coachman again as he tries to pull open the door to a giant crate labeled "To the salt mines", while saying, "Don't leave yet!"

Into-the-Belly-of-Monstro.jpg

Somehow, you manage to slip by, and you come across a stormy sea, which is occasionally illuminated by flashes of lightning. Here, Jiminy stands on a sign reading, "Beware of Monstro, the Terror of the Deep!", while the cricket himself warns, "Watch out for Monstro! Nothing escapes from him!" You head forward into darkness, where you hear an unearthly roar. One last flash of lightning reveals that you're approaching the huge gaping maw of a whale… That’s right! In this version of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, we actually get to go inside Monstro!

The innards of the beast are littered with various shipwrecks. In the center of it all are Pinocchio and Geppetto on their ramshackle boat, contemplating their predicament. Pinocchio proposes a way to escape from Monstro by building a fire so the great whale sneezes. You pass by an effect of Pinocchio building a fire (it's a shadow effect, backlit by the fire). The room then rumbles and shakes, simulating an upcoming sneeze. Suddenly, the cars turn backwards, as if to go back the way you came, and then exit out of the whale's mouth. It is similar to Expedition Everest, with two hallways next to each other. To enhance the effect, you see a projection of Pinocchio and Geppetto on the raft blasting out with you.

DSC_3345.jpg

You blast out onto a sandy shore. Turning back around, we find ourselves once again on the streets of cobblestone. To the instrumental strains of "When You Wish Upon a Star", we cruise past the serene streets of the village. A smiling Jiminy floats down on his umbrella as he says "Well, looks like we made it! Home at last!" At last, we return to Geppetto’s workshop, the Wishing Star shining high above it. As we head inside, we find ourselves in pitch darkness. The only light comes from the ethereal light of the Blue Fairy, who waves her wand. And as she disappears, the lights come back on to reveal Pinocchio, sitting on the bed...finally a real boy.

pinocchio.jpg

A beaming Geppetto stands beside him, Figaro and Cleo nearby. "It’s my dream come true!" Geppetto exclaims. "You are a real boy, Pinocchio!" "Gee, Father!" says Pinocchio. "I’m so glad to be home!" Finally, you see Jiminy standing by with a huge "Official Conscience" medal on his shirt while he says, "Gee, thanks, Miss Fairy..." With that, the doors to the workshop open and we head back out to the loading area.

Bambi: A Life in the Forest

2903-6BambiMount.jpg

Heading further east from Geppetto's workshop, going past Sir Mickey's Boutique, you'll come across the entrance to Bambi: A Life in the Forest, the very first major representation of the 1942 animated masterpiece in a Disney park. In the tradition of having Fantasyland's exteriors be based upon their country's origin, Bambi's exterior is designed like an Austrian hunting lodge.

20170701-Tyrolean-Chalet.jpg

Guests begin their experience by winding through a series of switchbacks, where birds and other woodland creatures can be heard chirping and humming along with the spring sunshine. Lining the queue are impressionist forest paintings throughout the switchbacks, that quite literally, 'paint' the picture of where you are heading in the attraction. As you approach the load area, a large nest approaches as your ride vehicles, symbolizing not only a connection with nature, but also an underlying reference to an attachment towards motherly figures, as being in a birds nest is an allusion to Bambi's close relationship with his mother.

As the nest glides off into the forest, we hear morning birds and a crisp spring/summer breeze before us as we turn the corner to see Bambi with his mother, as well as Thumper, Flower, and Faline in the distance calling for Bambi to play with them.

wong5.png

The jovial and upbeat background music gives the guests a calming sense of serenity throughout the forest, as the nest glides through the trees, and we see Bambi playing along, his mother watching proudly, and looming in the distance, the Great Prince of the Forest, watching and protecting the forest from "Man". As we transition into the next season, the leaves have turned and we see some of the woodland creatures preparing for hibernation, Bambi and his mother prance along as the fall season transitions into snow for the next scene.

1515470404456-png.255288

We then hear a gunshot as Bambi's echoing call for mother can be heard throughout the snow covered trees. A shadowing figure, the Great Prince, appears in the distance to tell Bambi, "Your mother can't be with you anymore. Come...my son." For an added emotional effect - after the line of dialogue is spoken, the scene flows into complete silence as the background music fades, and you watch Bambi slowly stride off with the shadowy figure in the distance and the scene continues to black amidst the silence.

The blackness of the tunnel acts as a time jump as we now see Bambi as a young stag the following winter, courting Faline as more gunshots are heard in the distance through the forest and the trees begin to turn orange and red.

1515461992379-png.255265

Sensing danger, your nest begins to franctically swerve back and forth through the tattered remains of the forest. The same smellitzer that simulates Rome burning on Spaceship Earth is utilized here, as the room's aroma places you in a burning forest with the pumped in smell of burning wood. Bambi is seen taking charge, making sure everyone from his family and friends is safe, leading away the hunter's dogs as more gunfire shoots off in the background of this dramatically intense scene.

hqdefault.jpg

As the smoke clears and fire settles, Spring emerges with the forest critters gathering for a grand reveal. The nest turns to see the Great Prince passing his title onto Bambi, with "'Love is a Song" playing in the background. As you turn towards the unload area, you see Bambi, the new Great Prince of the Forest, standing on a rock formation high above his forest, and Faline with newborn twins, as Bambi has grown into his true destiny.

What did you think, everybody? BTW, once again, all credit for the Bambi dark ride goes to the amazing @spacemt354! Until my next post, send that feedback if you got any!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom