Disneyland Maine: Revitalized

Suchomimus

a30.jpg

MANEATINGWREATH

The good news is, while our Adventurelands are mostly similar for the time being, I have completely nixed the Nightmare King, Four Winds, Forgotten Kingdom, and Paradise Springs angle for a different setting in the darkest Congo. Once I'm back on track with Fantasyland, my revised Adventureland will surface. Also, didn't expect to see HM in Adventureland, that's always a nice surprise. I remember a version on VF from years past that had a Phantom Manor-style backstory pertaining to a British professor finding a cure for yellow fever for colonists of the jungle. A voodoo witch doctor, however killed the professor and the family, subsequently halting medical progress.

Just be sure to give credit if you borrow any more ideas from my rough or final draft. ;) Great stuff.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
The good news is, while our Adventurelands are mostly similar for the time being, I have completely nixed the Nightmare King, Four Winds, Forgotten Kingdom, and Paradise Springs angle for a different setting in the darkest Congo. Once I'm back on track with Fantasyland, my revised Adventureland will surface. Also, didn't expect to see HM in Adventureland, that's always a nice surprise. I remember a version on VF from years past that had a Phantom Manor-style backstory pertaining to a British professor finding a cure for yellow fever for colonists of the jungle. A voodoo witch doctor, however killed the professor and the family, subsequently halting medical progress.

Just be sure to give credit if you borrow any more ideas from my rough or final draft. ;) Great stuff.

Ooh, that sounds rather intriguing. I've never seen an Adventureland with that kind of backstory. Already, I'm wondering what wonders--and dangers--await. If I may suggest something, I'd add "Brothers All" to the post when it comes. I feel it perfectly encaptures the mystery and drama Adventureland offers, hence why I used it myself.

Really? I always thought that Adventureland would lend itself well to a Haunted Mansion. Maybe if I do a ride-through, I'll include some jungle-based concepts. I'm not sure if I will, because I'm thinking my Haunted Mansion would mainly be the same as its other American incarnations. But you never know.

And yes indeed, I shall give credit if I borrow ideas from you in the future.

MANEATINGWREATH

Really? I always thought that Adventureland would lend itself well to a Haunted Mansion. Maybe if I do a ride-through, I'll include some jungle-based concepts. I'm not sure if I will, because I'm thinking my Haunted Mansion would mainly be the same as its other American incarnations. But you never know.

Personally, or at least thematically, it would make sense to have some jungle aesthetic to the Mansion. If you go with the normal story of a retirement home, that's fine, but at the very least set the graveyard in a dark swamp/jungle or have portraits and artifacts of the jungle; cursed tikis, evil masks, portraits of khaki-clad hunters, etc. A possessed trophy room might even make sense in your iteration. Or some cursed jungle relic has brought all the ghosts to the Mansion.

I believe it was @mharrington back in the days of Visions Fantastic who designed an Adventureland Mansion for HKDL (in the days before Mystic Manor). If I'm correct, the story had a British professor and his family journeying to the jungle to cure an outbreak of yellow fever. The native chief was somehow upset by their intrusion and murdered the entire family during a birthday party.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160601120652570.jpg

From the Adventureland Veranda, we venture down a forested path that appears to be of the Caribbean Islands, our transition from the Forgotten Kingdom to the Uncharted Lagoon. All around us, the remnants of former pirates begin to appear amidst the overgrown moss and swaying palms, many having fallen just short of their earthly duties. A captain, by the look of his decayed uniform, stands impaled against a tree, a sword run through his chest. In his tri-cornered hat, a seagull sits, having made its nest inside. Nearby, a displaced crow's nest hosts a fossilized sentry, still gazing at passers by through his rusted, elongated telescope.

Ocean bluffs and crooked palms cast their shadow upon the ruddy wreckage of many an unfortunate vessel, their tattered flags and sails still swaying in the coolness of an ocean breeze. Amid the tropics, shipwrecks, waterfalls, palms and jagged rocks of this foreboding oceanfront, the structural remnants of a former colony preside along the edge of a storied lagoon...the Uncharted Lagoon itself; ancient, well-worn, forgotten by time. The battle-scarred La Fortaleza (that's Spanish for "The Fortress") towers above the shoreline, a once-empowered stronghold meant to protect the once-thriving seaport from unwanted visitors. Tragically, their efforts were proven futile; the iconic skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger fly proudly from the highest tower.

hkPDkjCXv3qjrx1I5swN0xrddbuqltNIFxogt-e2bWdGE6l5Z73dHJP54cy9Po8nFgU66-yg2U0PLAV87elWvGj0mbPo242HBJqXgdCVU4sN0-9-z2TkeZs7N2y2Rph55O06TQmc

Entering thru a secret entrance in the fort’s armory, we find ourselves meandering thru the gloom and mystery of La Fortaleza’s dark dungeons and arsenals, frozen in time, left as they were in the fort’s prime. A crumbling passage leads our path into a Blue Lagoon at twilight, where we hop aboard a cargo ship for an unforgettable voyage…

disneyland-updating-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride-2-lg.jpg

In Pirates of the Caribbean, we set sail with "the wildest crew that ever sacked the Spanish Main!" An ominous skull warns us of danger ahead as we explore the catacombs of the sea, past dioramas displaying pirates in their last moments, now reduced to bare bone, before emerging in a great storm at sea. At the height of the storm, we plunge down a waterfall and into the sacked seaport of Port Royal. As the pirates of the Wicked Wench auction off whatever booty they've found, engage in sword combat, deplete the village rum supply, and battle with a moldering fortress, we clap along to the iconic tune of "Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me." A foul captain and his flutist first mate interrogate the googly-eyed magistrate by dunking him in the well. Drunken ne'er-do-wells set the seaport ablaze in a rum-induced stupor, culminating in a fiery finale. But that's not all--keep your weathered eyes peeled for another famous pirate, the notorious Captain Jack Sparrow. Obviously not part of the Wicked Wench crew, he'll try to get his mitts on the town's secret treasure trove before the others do. Can he do so without being caught? While similar to the 1967 original, the ride is now a combination of elements from both Marc Davis's mind and that of the films as to provide a happy medium for fans of both. So, while you'll still see old Captain Jack, you'll still hear Buddy Baker's score and X. Atencio's script and enjoy the sights created by Claude Coats and Marc Davis.

n017807_2050jan01_blue-lagoon-restaurant_16-9.jpg

The Blue Lagoon Restaurant lays cast beneath the stars, adjacent to the calm waters of a twilit lagoon; perhaps the most elegant eatery in all of Adventureland. Seafood and steak is what’s for dinner at this quaint veranda tucked along the shores of the Caribbean Sea. Here, we dine at candlelit tables under colorful strings of lanterns and tattered flags, soothing waves crashing against the sandy shore. Keen-eyed diners may notice passengers aboard Pirates of the Caribbean peacefully gliding by, just before entering a rock in the shape of a skull. The soothing rustle of the wind, the symphonic murmur of exotic birds, and the light of a pale moon set our stage for a luxurious meal fit for the finest captain, inspired by the Blue Bayou of Disneyland's own Pirates of the Caribbean.

Upon disembarking from our own battle for sunken treasure, we take a detour thru Pieces of Eight, where storefront windows display glittering jewels, treasure chests, gold doubloons and grinning skulls. Inside: a plethora of pirate loot - toy rifles, fool’s coins and gems, plastic swords, hook-for-hand replacements, miniature telescopes, eye patches and more.

treasure-cove-night-gated-path-shanghai-disneyland.jpg

As we depart from the hallowed halls and remains of La Fortaleza, our travels bring us to what remains of this former seaport, past a collapsed structure or two, and into a dockside collection of shops, merchant stalls, and converted storehouses, filled to overflowing with imported goods - stolen or otherwise - from around the world, starting with the glistening House of Treasure. A true one-of-a-kind shop, the aptly named House of Treasure is the fine purveyor of nautical gifts, artifacts, knickknacks and treasures. La Fuente de la Fortuna ("The Fountain of Fortune") is found within what once belonged to Carlos, the plump, mustachioed magistrate (the man immortalized in the classic lines: "Don’t tell him, Carlos! Don’t be chicken!" "I am not chicken! I will not tell!"). Now a storehouse for pirate clothing and a cracked wishing well, the shifty-eyed proprietor swears that his pirate attire will bring nothing but fortune to those who wear it. This is false, however, given the various means of public execution found throughout the town, some still in use, though the victims are long deceased… Tortuga Tavern recalls the drama and excitement of an authentic pirate's tavern, complete with crooked card games, mountains of rum, and the orange light of flickering lanterns. Tortuga Tavern is our one-stop shop for hot dogs, short ribs and the almighty turkey leg of Disney lore.

150751d1363029639-my-most-detailed-prop-build-2013-wip-honest-marooned-pete.jpg

The friendly folks at Honest Marooned Pete’s welcome us to a remote soft serve yogurt, ice cream, juice and smoothie stand owned and operated by Honest Marooned Pete, a bearded fellow long-since trapped on the island after a seabound gambling crusade went horribly wrong. The stand is even set up in the hull of his overturned rowboat! Honest Marooned Pete himself never makes an appearance in the flesh, but his hand-drawn image appears on many of the crude posters advertising his "honest deals." The motley Bootstrappers bring a sense of musical “integrity” to the abandoned seaport, providing salty chanteys and horrid puns for anyone brave enough to listen…

abebdbca6e805eb29679311e1ac2a66b.jpg

The Black Pearl, Captain Jack Sparrow's famed ship, sits proudly on the dark surface of the lagoon. An appropriate bridge connects the mainland to the infamous vessel, allowing us to explore the inner and outer sanctums of Jack Sparrow's beloved ship. Guests can scout all of the hidden artifacts, treasure maps, the cursed medallions and even the Dead Man’s Chest throughout the hull of the ship, collected by Captain Barbossa, Captain Jack Sparrow and the entire crew of the Black Pearl throughout their excursions. Interactive elements are naturally in great supply, including but not limited to an animatronic Jack the Monkey and a rum cellar that has been recently emptied...sigh...why is the rum always gone? Deep in the hull of the ship, lies a watery, gloomy passage. Here, guests can experience a simulated attack by the formidable Kraken, who seemingly drags the ship underwater! In another passage of the Black Pearl, a meet-and-greet is hosted with Captain Jack Sparrow himself. On the deck, guests can witness real pirates doing their daily chores of pillaging and plundering, they can use real telescoped the scout out the secrets of Adventureland and use the interactive water features to blast away their onlookers.

The ominous Shipwreck Bay sits nearby the Black Pearl. If the name isn't any indication, this is where massive waves defy any explorers passage, sending towering waves crashing towards any mortal foolish enough to stand in its path. Shipwreck Bay an outdoor maze of beached vessels and volcanic bluffs, where decayed timbers and sand-kissed barnacles create a haunting, sub-aquatic playground. A capstan wheel levies a treasure chest from beneath the surface of a nearby inlet, the skeletal remains of an unfortunate brigand still clinging to the chest. Rusted pumps drive seawater out from a water-logged hull, revealing long-departed pirates and their earthly treasures. In a stagnant pond nearby the Graveyard is Crocodile Creek, the supposed final resting place of the crocodile that once terrorized Captain Hook. Of course, ol' Tick-Tock occasionally pops up, hoping to get a "hand-out".

c71a91e5182d22980ef42f21241c3bb3.jpg

Thru an archway built from old rock and driftwood, a dark path brings us to the "underground" lair of McGillicutty the Musical Sea Monster. With his pencil-thin mustache and starched collar, the operatic sea serpent sings in every known octave - bass, soprano, alto, tenor - and will happily perform an aria to a backdrop of jumping rainbowfish, dancing fountains and technicolor waterfalls before diving back beneath the surface with a thunderous splash. And as if the picture above didn't tell you already, this guy would easily be mistaken for the sea serpent that used to frequent Disneyland's Submarine Voyage.

Back on the mainland, we head to the left of the lagoon, away from all the pirates and plunder. At the farthest edge of the Uncharted Lagoon, we find ourselves standing before a stone arch, serving as an entrance point to the next area of Disneyland. Our adventures in Adventureland come to a close as we head towards the rugged desert terrain of Frontierland.

===========================================================================

Our tour of Adventureland is complete! What did you guys think of the Uncharted Lagoon?

I have to give credit to @MANEATINGWREATH for coming up with the concept of McGillicutty. I just thought it was too good not to use.

Oh, and one last thing: I recently resumed my college studies, so expect my posts to come less frequently over the course of the fall.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Frontierland
TP01.jpg

In Frontierland, the United States during the era when it was still a floundering young nation has been recreated and preserved for all generations to explore and appreciate. In this land of historical fact and fiction, wooded natural surroundings give way to a rustic frontier town, but not before we come upon the log-walled stockade of Fort Lincoln, gateway to Frontierland. A small, uninhabited encampment of Plains Indians can be seen in the shadow of Fort Lincoln, their docked canoes once readied for adventure on Timeless River.

In tribute to the beloved president and childhood hero of Walt Disney, Fort Lincoln stands as a remnant of the 19th Century U.S. Cavalry, as often found throughout the American Southwest in the days of Manifest Destiny. The open-air promenade of Fort Lincoln leads us past a collection of rusted cannons, stored rifles, and ammunition crates, all remnants of the recent Civil War. Just beyond the towering gates flies an American flag with its original field of 13 stars, an homage to our nation’s first period of independence. We have been whisked from the modern day and transported back to the dust-swept, horseshoe-scarred streets of a western settlement, circa 1870. The triumphant orchestral theme of a classic western film fills the air as we explore the little boomtown of Thunder Mesa.

f7d251c29aedf9ec55d8ea46ae35b322.jpg

In all the myths and legends passed down the trail, Thunder Mesa was once the cutest little boomtown this side of the Mississippi. This was of course on account of the gold vein running thru "that thar" mountain: Big Thunder Mountain. The biggest and most fanciful mountain range in the entire West - second to Bryce Canyon, Utah - Big Thunder brought Thunder Mesa from a little-known pioneer encampment to a bustling mining town overnight, bringing with it the advent of the railroad and riverboat, not to mention hundreds of would-be tycoons in the form of curious cowpoke and friendly foreigners. The once quiet town had more river and rail traffic than it could ever have hoped to handle.

Alas, there was something about the mountain that the settlers didn't know... You see, long before the pioneers came, Big Thunder Mountain was a sacred spot to the Native Americans, and it carried a powerful curse -- a curse that offered a powerful vendetta against the greedy and the selfish. Before long, the settlers' desecration of the mountain caused the curse to be fulfilled; and the town was caught in the midst of a great earthquake. Though most townsfolk perished in the quake, some did survive, others fleeing for parts unknown. The mining operation went bust, and before long, Thunder Mesa was a ghost town. Thunder Mesa was deemed "cursed" by miners across the frontier, an ominous reminder of the strange happenings and devastating quake of that fateful day.

Today we visit Thunder Mesa just a few years past the great quake, warned and inspired by the various wood-carvings and relics of the Native Americans and the mountain's curse found throughout town. We are greeted by the town's official welcome sign...

"Welcome to Thunder Mesa!
The Biggest Boom Town in the West!
Population: 1,110 - 888 - 303 -119 - 24?
Elevation: Not Sure"

Yikes! Judging by the amount of times the town’s population count has been crossed out and replaced by a significantly smaller number, Thunder Mesa truly lives up to its "ghost town" status. Past the promenade and down the main thoroughfare, we feel as if we have stepped into the reels of a classic western, where cacti and tumbleweeds are the local flora. A cigar store Indian Chief stands guard from a shaded porch… Horseshoe-prints and wagon wheel-tracks appear embedded in the pavement... Weary travelers find shelter upon quaint rocking chairs and a creaking hammock… Wanted posters and aged advertisements line the sand-kissed facades and posts, oftentimes offering bits of humor here and there (i.e. Pain For Less Dentistry)... All these things pull us further into this romanticized vision of the pioneer age.

Marked by a rooftop laden with antlers - an old merchant’s trick to attract business - the General Store is our go-to for any and all souvenirs of the Old West, from hard candies and knick-knacks to coonskin hats and sarsaparilla. Unique to our General Store? Exotic jerky. Next door, the Yensid Hotel and bathhouse labeled "Baths 5 Cents" serve as a clever disguise for the public bathrooms, a subtle nod to Disneyland's long-gone Bear Country. The Blacksmith Shoppe, as established in 1860, was once an important asset to Thunder Mesa, supplying much of the materials needed for the Thunder Mesa mining operation. Now, the shop has resorted to making souvenirs: personalized horseshoes, antique hinges, lamps, and other such items. The shop goes so far as to have an actual blacksmith on duty, constantly hard at work on his latest product. Woodrow Woodcutters features a legitimate woodcutter on duty who creates and sells handmade wooden goods, whether they be everyday home items or simple statuettes of Disney characters. Other faux-storefronts appear, allowing us glimpses into typical western life. A peek inside the Assayer's Office shows a desk covered in gold nuggets, but a closer look at the abandoned assayer's chair shows a fresh supply of bulletholes in the back of the chair, hinting at something gone awry in the past. The Sheriff's Office and Jailhouse next door do allow us to enter, giving us a chance to attempt to breakout of an "authentic" frontier prison or place our face within the frame of our own wanted poster.

On the right-hand side of the entry-path we find Westward Ho! Clothing Co., a western-inspired clothing store, neighbored by T. Ravenscroft, Undertaker who is offering a two-for-one sale at this time. Although the shop itself is inaccessible (it's really just faux storefront connecting Westward Ho to the next shop), an upright coffin outside allows us to test our final resting place before making a purchase. Suspiciously, the local Gallows (a bit dark, don't you think?) are located just a few feet from the Undertaker's shop... Noah Count Insurance Broker has his office just above the Undertaker and, as expected, country-accented arguing often emits from its open-window, followed with the appropriate fight sound effects. Next door to Ravenscroft is Prairie Supply. This is a rather unique store as it sells authentic western wares such as Native American-made blankets, figurines, and artwork.

trading_post_001.jpg

As we continue forward into Frontierland, we catch our first glimpse of a Disneyland-staple: The Rivers of America. Marked by the majestic sternwheeler, the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Rivers of America represent the many great rivers of the North American continent: the Missouri, the Mississippi, the Rio Grande, etc., as they appeared in the time of American expansion. This eight-shaped river serves as the centerpiece of Frontierland, a beacon for the land's varying sub-areas. But we shall explore that great frontier wilderness further down the trail. For now, let's continue our tour of Thunder Mesa.

8367819025_70afc32263_c.jpg

Once past the main thoroughfare, we find that Buzzard Rock County splits into two directions at the riverbend, north and south (from our viewpoint, north is right, south is left). Deciding to head left, we find the world-famous Silver Horseshoe Saloon, home to the equally famous Silver Horseshoe Revue. To an ice cream sundae and a bottle of sarsaparilla, we enjoy an Old West musical of can-can dancers, vaudeville routines, melodramatic punchlines, and the world’s only dancing buffalo. Other treats on the menu here include fried chicken, chili, sandwiches and fish and chips, with a wide variety of fixin's and sides; as well as a wide variety of other ice cream treats and cookies. The stage is often shared with the Bluegrass Boys, a wandering troupe of backwood musicians often heard around and about Thunder Mesa. The old saloon shares a kitchen with the Last Chance Cafe. If you want a place to lay low and chow down on some grub in a secluded part of the Old West (which are quite hard to come by), this is it. Wanted signs, saddles and discarded holsters make this a typical Old West outpost. And with some quick-draw service and hearty grub, it's the perfect place for the lawless to grab a hasty bite before continuing their quest. The sound of a live Mariachi band garners our attention toward the well-aged and battered facade of Casa Mexicana, Frontierland's only Mexican joint. Amid the crumbling Pueblo arches, cacti and twinkling lanterns, Spanish-American architecture hearkens to the adventures of Zorro and Don Quixote. An impressive array of tacos, burritos, enchiladas, refried beans, and more entice our taste buds for a meal south of the border. The outdoor veranda offers dramatic views of the Rivers of America.

5504601379_1be6d86211_b.jpg

On the farthest outskirts of this side of Thunder Mesa, sitting under the shadow of the mighty Big Thunder Mountain, is an old barn which serves as the home of Cowboy Cookout Barbecue. At this indoor-outdoor restaurant, smoking barbecue pits and a split rail fence stir our senses with the smell of hickory smoked dishes served chuck wagon style. Chirping crickets and howling coyotes accommodate our delectable meal of grilled chicken, pulled pork, baked beans, and corn on the cob.

Back in the center of town, once every two hours, Thunder Mesa comes alive with the sound of the Frontierland Hoedown! Accompanied by a live band of country musicians, some of our favorite frontier friends -- the likes of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, Br'er Bear, the Country Bears, Pecos Goofy, Pocahontas and Meeko, among many others -- join a troupe of four dancing couples in a rowdy barn dance that really puts the "kick in country"! After a few rehearsed pieces from the musicians and dancers, we're invited to come and join them on the dance floor, learning how to box step, pivot, and so on. But if you just want to meet characters in Frontierland, Big Al, Liver Lips McGrowl, Wendell, Shaker, Pecos Goofy, Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye are among the frontier friends found around and about Coyote Junction. Rumor has it that Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar and even Miguel of Coco have been known to pop-in from time to time.

Turning right at the river from the aforementioned split, Thunder Mesa continues south, starting with the legendary Mile Long Bar. Named for its opposing mirrors that create the illusion of an infinitely long counter, the Mile Long Bar is a full-service bar of the Wild West, complete with rugged cocktails, western wines, brash beers, and tantalizing treats for the taste buds. An outdoor patio looks down the road to the Rivers of America.

country-bear-jamboree-gallery09.jpg

Grizzly Hall, established long before our time, hosts the wildest show in the wilderness: Country Bear Jamboree. Henry, our ursine host takes us on a musical journey thru the music and lore of the Wild West. Starring in this frontier musical is a pack of bears unlike any we’ve ever heard. Henry’s job (like his mindedness) is simple: keep the audience in stitches, and introduce the stars of the show. The first group to suffer thru a Henry introduction are the Five Bear Rugs, the finest assortment of instrument-playing bears the Magic Kingdom has to offer. After the boys in the band, we are introduced to Wendell, Liver Lips McGrowl, Trixie, Shaker, the Sun Bonnet Trio, Ernest, Swingin' Teddi Barra, and the one and only Big Al, whom you’ll recognize immediately from the lousiest guitar-playing you’ve ever heard in your life. In addition to these bears, Max, Buff and Melvin, three mounted animal heads with a knack for personality, serve as a "peanut gallery" for the show, trading barbs with Henry. All these critters and more await an audience in the finest celebration of music and song this side of the great outdoors.

Built from a converted Conestoga wagon, Big Al's is the ultimate store for fans of the Country Bear Jamboree, with toy instruments, plush critters, specialized t-shirts, and a dramatic portrait of a much younger (and skinnier) Al on a journey down the Missouri. The sleepy moans, snores and growls of a hibernating Al can be heard coming from within a cave a few feet away. Davy Crockett’s Wilderness Arcade is yet another one-of-a-kind arcade, where mechanical arcade cabinets and "retro" games are all the latest rage. "Hoofin’ Henry" portrays a miniature Henry set into a tap dance by mashing buttons and balanced wires. An old-fashioned "Love Tester" and "Johnny Rio," an automated gunslinger are among the other peculiarities of the arcade. The Hungry Bear Restaurant is our final stop on this side of Thunder Mesa, an upscale quick-service eatery devoted to feeding those with ursine-type appetites. If you're a meat-eater, you'll be in heaven here: Burgers, chicken and fish are the stars on the menu, as is one of the all-time Disney classics: the turkey leg. Peanut shells litter the floor of the Hungry Bear Lodge, where an eight-foot statue of a grizzly welcomes patrons, often springing to life with a bit of pixie dust…

Now that we've explored Thunder Mesa, why don't we go ahead and explore the Rivers of America? As we shall see as we head further into Frontierland, the Rivers of America is bustling with activity, with various vessels gliding across the water. Among these vessels are old rafts that take us to the fun and adventure of Tom Sawyer Island.

Tom-Sawyer-Island-Night-banner.jpeg

The works of Mark Twain come to life on this island, not unlike an island where the likes of Tom Sawyer, Becky Thatcher and Huckleberry Finn might have played. Dusty dirt roads lined with sycamore and oak trees and creaky suspension bridges mark this natural haven. You may even stumble upon secret mined caves and uncover an age-old fort. Stepping foot on Tom Sawyer Island recalls the bygone days of youth in the 1800s, a vast forest, unremarkable to the adult eye, but to the eye of a child, a world where imagination can transform anything into a grand adventure.

Harper's Mill stands to the island's southern shore, a mysterious beacon of exploration and discovery. Marked by the large waterwheel to its side, the creaky wheels and cranks still turn inside this place, since long-abandoned. And Disney nerds, take good notice here: a nest of birds is lodged between the wedges of one of the wheels...not unlike a similar set of birds in the Academy-Award winning short The Old Mill. However, it should be noted that we can't step inside the mill itself--the door is locked tight.

From Harper's Mill, we follow the path into a lush forest of tropical blossoms and rushing streams. Fanciful trees, fallen redwoods and rock formations immerse us into the mystery and excitement of the American frontier. Explorer's Trail takes us along a natural walk-through. Slippin' Falls takes us through a lush riverbed of cool falls, whitewater rapids and spinning rocks to play on, including the world-famous Castle Rock, a large rock structure which features stationary telescopes, giving guests views of specific scenery and points of interest back on the Frontierland mainland. Tall redwoods and pines mark the entrance to Hibernation Wood, where distant native drums and chanting set the scene of adventure just ahead. As Hibernation Wood marks the end of Explorer's Trail, we find a grizzly bear reclined on a large rock, fast asleep, snoring loudly. Of course, some displaced logs here and there provide ample "playground equipment" in this natural wonderland.

Smuggler's Cove is home to two beloved components of the original Tom Sawyer Island in California: the Suspension Bridge and the Pontoon Bridge. Most travelers tend to go along the Suspension Bridge, but more daring adventurers prefer the Pontoon Bridge.

csHTbdf425ZRbVwnS7AhhLivMnd2GTaNejjoS_pCrJ7VKSB-jO6qtSH7lo-VCsh2rEebQq7mdh5gez89t7S5HPdyKdbaFMKjAZtX69L0PHQ6-qW5_IYdPnxVxCGB0B-HKfp5aJZW

Deep in the cavernous depths of Tom Sawyer Island, we come upon the foreboding Injun Joe's Cave. Despite the warning signs, we enter this mysterious network of tunnels and caves, where the eerie, eternal howl of an unseen hurricane echoes from wall to wall. Lush waterfalls cascade into underground pools through jagged fissures in the rocks. Glistening crystals, stalagmites and stalactites reflect in the sheen of the rushing waters. Warning signs insist that we "follow the river" for our only hope of survival... An expansive labyrinth of subterranean paths harken to the ghastly catacombs of Paris. Once through an archway built from skulls and ribcages, a dark path takes us into an expansive, underground lake lined with glistening crystals and mysterious colors. The howl of a ghostly wind, rolling thunder and a frightening scream (perhaps one and the same with the Wicked Witch of Snow White) welcomes us to the Chamber of the Bottomless Pit, where, as expected, one could fall for an eternity...

o.jpg

Tom 'n' Huck's Treehouse offers a walking tour of the famous anti-hero's hideaway, a six-story treehouse and interactive playground. Hands-on activities and plenty o’ climbing mean spectacular 360° views of Tom Sawyer Island and the entire Magic Kingdom.

fortwilderness_kidsatgate2002ah.jpg

A few feet away from Tom 'n' Huck's Treehouse, practically hidden away from the rest of the island, is Fort Wilderness. When you’re inside the fort, you can pretend to be back in the early 19th century. There was always danger on the frontier—wild animals, and an occasional war. Military outposts such as this one provided some security from those dangers. Like Fort Lincoln, this fort is fully explorable. We can climb up and around the fort, exploring the roosts, parapets and offices, but it's only at Fort Wilderness that we can "fire" cannons and rifles at anyone who tries to invade the innocent fort.

1515538020579-png.255436

When night falls on Frontierland, the Rivers of America are magically transformed into an amazing celebration of imagination, hopes and dreams. The incredible world of Mickey’s imagination comes to life in Fantasmic!, a spectacular nighttime pageant as presented from the streets of Frontierland. Tom Sawyer Island becomes the stage for a timeless clash between good and evil, with lasers, projection mapping, cascading waters, extraordinary digital projections, and breathtaking pyrotechnics.

In Mickey’s dream, we witness the forces of good and evil engaged in conflict, where mischievous monkeys, pink elephants, wild cowpoke, magical genies, swashbuckling pirates, and princesses more surprisingly appear on and around the Rivers of America. When Mickey is pulled into the Magic Mirror, the forces of evil are awakened as the Evil Queen of Snow White summons some of Disney’s most dastardly villains - including Ursula, Oogie Boogie, Dr. Facilier, Chernabog, and Maleficent, the latter having transformed into a 45-foot, fire-breathing dragon!

Will Mickey triumph over the evil forces inside his imagination?

vtm289574LARGE.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPvQBDFol4

Past Thunder Mesa and further into the Great Southwest, we come upon what might be the largest and most fantastical sight in any Disney Park today: Big Thunder Mountain. Rugged peaks, soaring rock walls, towering cliff tops, and thundering waterfalls are among the scenery of this mighty mountain; this seamless amalgam of Bruce Canyon, Yosemite National Park and Monument Valley, which pierces the skies of Frontierland, offering a dramatic backdrop to Thunder Mesa. The leftover buildings and traces of the old mining company still remain on the mountain range, long-abandoned since that dreadful earthquake.

A few years after the earthquake, bold explorers came to investigate the mystery of Thunder Mesa. When they reached Big Thunder, they found a most peculiar sight: Although there was no trace of human activity on the mountain, the mine trains they used to transport ore were still racing about the track, all by themselves! Aboard the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, we follow in the footsteps of these explorers aboard one of these possessed trains. We speed past dinosaur fossils, bubbling desert pits, stalactite-filled caves and the long-lost spirits of those miners who lost their lives to the earthquake so many years before. We plummet through the darkness along a dynamite-littered track, a huge explosion shakes the cavern. But the train doesn't slow up, hurtling you onwards amid the rumbling sounds of a falling mineshaft. Bats swoop. The tracks shake. The same earthquake that turned Thunder Mesa into a ghost town is threatening to rise again! Will we make it out alive? I don't know, but I do know this: all these things certainly add up to an experience that has been rightfully dubbed "the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

6166016189_8a37ebc091_b.jpg

The Disneyland Railroad makes its second stop here in Frontierland, just a few paces away from Big Thunder Mountain. Like Paris' railroad station, the railroad station is an exact replica of the original Frontierland railroad station of Disneyland; before it was converted into the New Orleans Square railroad station. Frontierland Depot also serves as a watering and refueling location for the four, hard-worked Disneyland Railroad engines, having just steamed through the perilous jungles of Adventureland. Once all board, the train sets off again, heading towards the next sub-area of Frontierland: Folktale Forest.

What do you guys think?

I have to give credit to @MANEATINGWREATH, because most of his Adventure Isle concept inspired me to make my new take on Tom Sawyer Island.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
2015-05-08_0213.jpg

Passing by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the Disneyland Railroad station, we find ourselves leaving the sweltering deserts of Thunder Mesa in favor of a cooler, shaded oasis: a shady forest of pine, fir, and redwood. Rustic cabins and crystal-clear streams bring us into a world reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest. The true beauty of nature comes out here as a lush waterfall thunders down into a gently flowing river (which eventually enters the Rivers of America). Dwellings of all shapes and sizes appear, some embedded into trees, oversized mushrooms, and rocks, perhaps belonging to some kind of critter. Muddy hills caked with grass pop up throughout the area, leading up to a large mountain caked with a gnarled-up tree trunk. My friends, we have just stepped foot into Folktale Forest.

Folktale Forest is a backwoods oasis where great frontier folk tales and legends come to life. Much like Critter Country at Disneyland, the first point of interest is the second formation in Frontierland's mountain range. It's a large mountain scraping the great Northern skies. A thundering waterfall pours down from inside a large gnarled-up tree trunk at its peak. Every few seconds a log pours down the falls seemingly filled with...people? Screaming people. What is this, some kind of thrill ride? Well...yes. Yes, it is. This is Splash Mountain, the world's biggest log ride featuring the biggest, wettest drop in the entire resort.

16069353910_437cc06080_b.jpg

Inspired by Disney's 1946 live-action (and highly-controversial) film Song of the South, Splash Mountain takes place on and inside Chickapin Hill, the muddy home of the villainous Br'er Fox and his bumbling assistant Br'er Bear. The two rogues are constantly on a hunt for Br'er Rabbit, a crafty little rabbit always in search of something better. Currently, Br'er Rabbit is planning to leave his humble home in the Briar Patch to spend the rest of his days at the Laughin' Place. But what happens when Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear kidnap him before he gets there? Well, what happens is the wettest and wildest ride in Disney park history, all culminating in a 50-foot drop down Chickapin Hill!

ssc111010LARGE.jpg

Located across the way from Splash Mountain is Fowler's Harbor, an old dock that serves as the home of the Sailing Ship Columbia, a full-size replica of Columbia Redivivia, the first American ship to circumnavigate the globe. Throughout the day, the Columbia takes guests on pleasant cruises along the Rivers of America. Nearby the dock, drop anchor along the waterfront and recharge with a quick meal at the Harbor Gallery that’ll set your taste buds afloat! Satisfy even the crabbiest cravings from a sea of savory selections, including the Fisherman’s Salad, shrimp salad, tuna salad sandwich or buttery lobster roll. Fishing for something warm and hearty? Try clam chowder, cheddar broccoli soup or a seasonal offering, each served in a crusty sourdough bread bowl.

A few feet away, along the banks of the Rivers of America is an old explorer's launch. This launch is the home of the Mike Fink Keel Boats, a long-lost relic of nearly every major Disneyland-style park makes its triumphant return at Disneyland Maine. Boarding either the Gullywhumper or the Bertha Mae, passengers are taken on a grand circle tour of the Rivers of America, treated to an audio tour provided by King of the River himself, Mike Fink. The Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes launch from a nearby landing, allowing man-powered journeys around and about the Rivers of America, narrated by a wise-cracking guide on either end of the hand-carved and hand-painted canoe.

The Klondike Inn is perhaps Frontierland's best in immersive dining, being held within an intimate, dimly-lit cabin typical of the northern wilderness. Oil paintings, period lamps, stained glass, mounted trophy heads and antlers are used in nearly all of the decorating (no Gaston here) of this classy steakhouse, where surf'n'turf and steak dinners, salads and desserts are out-of-this-world extraordinary in both flavor, size, and price. The Klondike Inn also boasts a beautiful patio right on the banks of the River; providing excellent views of Tom Sawyer Island and a good spot for people-watching, as the various watercraft glide past. Come night, it's also a popular place to enjoy Fantasmic!, offering a unique view you can't get anywhere else. You may even catch a glimpse of the Disneyland Railroad as it passes the Hungry Bear and heads for Columbia Gorge at the northern-most tip of the Rivers of America, passing right through its rocky walls, embarking on its climactic trip along the rim of the Grand Canyon and into the Primeval World; both dioramas are found within the Gorge.

Rivers-of-America-07_2017_DL.019.jpg

Folktale Forest is essentially the Disneyland Maine equivalent of Critter Country, borrowing much of its layout and style from it as well as its predecessor, Bear Country (Klondike Inn is essentially a more upscale version of Hungry Bear). Much like Critter Country, the Disneyland Railroad passes right through Splash Mountain and splits Folktale Forest in half. Heading underneath the railroad tracks, we find the old barn entrance to Splash Mountain on our left; but on our right, we head down a forest trail past thundering waterfalls and crystal-clear streams. Rock formations in the shape of eagles, owls, and other "forest spirits" lay hidden among the falls, suggesting that perhaps magic lays deep within the earth. Totem poles appear on either side of the trail, the distant howl of a wolf setting an eerie tone. Down the trail, the drumming and chanting of the Native American people seems to grow louder and louder, until we finally find ourselves in front of a world seemingly untouched by modern man. Marked by a great rock formation, covered in grass, wildflowers and waterfalls, weaved boats stand ready to takes us down The Rivers of Nature. On this incredible journey, set to Native American tribal music, we sail through the forests and deserts of North America, coming across many friendly animal faces. But be warned--man is not so friendly, and nearly threatens to destroy the forest! Fortunately, all ends well, and the journey concludes with a trek through the Heart of the Forest, where man, animal, and nature all gather in perfect harmony.

Built nearby The Rivers of Nature, an authentic Penobscot Nation house (actually built from cedar planks) serves as the home of the Penobscot Museum, a museum dedicated to the native people of the region. Exiting the museum takes us directly toward the Dance Circle, an outdoor entertainment arena where authentic dancers of the various Native American tribes of Maine --the Penobscot, the Abenaki, the Passamaquoddy, the Maliseet and the Mi'kmaq-- in the appropriate garbs perform dances that have been passed down for centuries among their people.

dsc004051.jpg

Right in the middle of Folktale Forest is a beautifully-kept garden where nature rules over all. If you want to meet more characters, you're in luck. The likes of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, Br'er Bear, Kenai, Koda, Pocahontas, John Smith and Meeko all can be seen roaming through Folktale Forest, eager to greet guests. In the center of this garden is a towering tree whose long limbs and ample green leaves provide shade. In an alcove to the right of the garden is Grandmother Willow's Grove, a playground for little kids. Young explorers can enjoy running, climbing and jumping around the encampment of swings, bridges and slides suspended between the open wooden supports of tepees. Details recall the forest friends of Pocahontas, whilst parents and older visitors can enjoy a peaceful place to sit by the river, watching the logs of Splash Mountain rush by and the riverboats slowly ply their course through the luscious green trees

Built into the Splash Mountainside, neighboring the barn, are a few small shops. First, we find Paul Bunyan's, a clothing store selling mainly flannels and plaid clothing. Various tributes to the giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan and his big blue ox Babe adorn the store. The Apple Tree is an odd store with a large apple tree growing in the middle of it. A stationary sculpture of Johnny Appleseed himself (accompanied by some forest friends) picks apples from the tree. The Apple Tree specializes in mainly candy and other sweet treats, including their famous caramel apples. Other shops in the area include Bonanza Creek Outfitters, a clothing store dedicated to keeping one warm (a winter in Maine could compete with a winter in Arendelle) borrows its name from Bonanza Creek, the starting point of the Klondike Gold Rush in 1896. Unlike Westward Ho! back in Thunder Mesa, Bonanza Creek Outfitters focuses more on winter wear and contemporary clothing, rather than western-inspired wear. The shopkeeper of Bonanza Creek Outfitters has a set of Bigfoot footprints proudly on display outside his shop, claiming them to be 100% real, much to the fear of the locals.

The Folktale Forest Picture Parlour is a bit of a curiosity nowadays as in it is an actual picture parlour...whatever that means. It is here where one can dress up in ridiculous pioneer, cowboy, bandito, mountain man, showgirl, or gold miner clothing and plop themselves in front of an equally-outrageous backdrop for a black and white-tinted photograph reminiscent of the 19th century. It is also in the Picture Parlour where the world famous "Disney silhouettes" are hand-cut by professional artists. And if you can't afford a meal at Klondike Inn, maybe you can find a cheaper alternative at Comfort Corner Hideaway, which offers such fare as pizza, kebabs and hamburgers.

Returning back to the outskirts of Folktale Forest, we notice something across the river. Deciding to investigate, we rush back across Thunder Mesa and head to the right-hand side of the fork in the town. The breathtaking western film orchestrations give way to jazz standards typical of New Orleans, particularly the French Quarter...in fact, even the rustic Southwestern structures appear to be giving way to more Southern-style buildings...could it...could it be? Yes, it could! We've just stumbled upon the Golden Age of the French Quarter, the crown jewel of New Orleans, Louisiana. Winding alleyways and bustling restaurants beckon us towards the French Quarter, Frontierland's third and final sub-area...

This one was rather quick to whip up, because it's the smallest sub-area of Frontierland, only slightly larger than Critter Country at Disneyland. So, I figured I might as well get this part written and out of the way. If you're liking what you're seeing so far, don't hesitate to leave some feedback!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
5TcnRguHx564xGabvQ9a4fvCjyIG6OmP-yqQ6rcDiH8BFdPh1x69Nsdhp0lpLQYa0MPPa6NjFkwnLhku4gATM4x8d6UB0vPKjD0-v4UbJ5MS6xSDShO0U6QCbcZWG2fWWMMkmPii

The French Quarter... Here is the Paris of the American frontier, the Crescent City of New Orleans as it appeared in the Roaring '20s, portrayed and honored down to the minute detail. Architecture and atmosphere of the 1850s are retained amid the winding walkways, wrought iron balconies, romantic courtyards, and exquisite, gourmet restaurants. The sweet sound of New Orleans jazz comes from the Nine Old Men, a ragtag band of Dixieland musicians named on behalf of the original Disney Animators. As the Nine Old Men parade in and around the fanciful architecture and charming boutiques, we find ourselves at a mighty bend in the river, home to the majestic Mark Twain Riverboat.

XqaYEU7nUGO9wy4wvGdFceFdUraoC6Cd5qTAV3YP193e9dfvmGvkipTBAJpG9qVJPHN3AQUoPVMGiSCNIYL4NqZuD3xwO1FSSArCJ_OC0N5gv2xh2elt-5wpqbnoHnMqd7kvWUrK

Named for perhaps, the greatest author in American literature, the Mark Twain Riverboat departs from a landing all-too-familiar with the architecture of New England. A Magic Kingdom icon all its own, the stately steamboat brings passengers on a voyage around the Rivers of America thru a vast wilderness beyond imagination; giving us a glimpse of the beauty and splendor of the American frontier .A burning settlers cabin and village of Plains Indians are among the sights encountered along the riverfront. Wild animals and lush greenery stock the shoreline, where a chance encounter with foul river pirates and a fantastic, panoramic view of Frontierland's mountain range allow the ultimate in thematic storytelling, brilliantly narrated by our down-to-earth captain from aboard the pilothouse. Every now and then, the Nine Old Men will hop aboard the magnificent steamboat and perform concerts at the Grand Salon Deck, aptly located on the second level of the old riverboat, providing an experience that is far out-of-the-ordinary in everyday life.

xtu299LAD3HBx9Lc16tYGXN2paD9LzvBcxQaZOcccSbHyKQVIWcX59VyJ0TuStkDHoOtNaQ7FBNpJ0In2SI6RQI-QSB2qr32d4isg7JOAvc5zjIanmOvyNnj5iSLmv5qst5Qofmw

Back ashore, we find a wide selection of shops and eateries, all unique to the French Quarter. The River Belle Terrace rests just on the outskirts of town, an elegant, two-story manor stocked to the gills with Southern comfort food: the likes of fried chicken, collard greens, cajun potatoes and homestyle macaroni and cheese. An outdoor patio looks to the bustling riverfront, a lively bandstand its musical backdrop. Porte d’Orleans brings us to the heart of the French Quarter, selling a variety of cajun sauces, beignet mixes, Mardi Gras masks, and chicory-coffee. The luxuries found at Cristal d'Orleans are found in its title - souvenirs and trinkets made of glass, crystal and silver, from personalized cups and pitchers to tiaras and figurines. Cafe Orleans, home to the world-famous Monte Cristo, has also made a reputation for selling the finest garlic fries, beignets and Creole dishes around. Le Bat en Rouge - as represented by a vampire bat in a red bowtie - sells all the contemporary clothing we could ever wish for, “hipster” in variety and bizarrely stylish…

UziZQQGCBgrGidIepv2rqo_5pVjhttr6YNwXfEbptn8QJgrFk6GIo6vLDr7R7V05gJUAFZN8DVNfUrkxupnPoaNxcHoGVCaj0zJZqks2p5ZOSM9n2-krAw6oE5OxER-DNd_Xvp82

While the French Quarter itself might be set in the Roaring '20s, a step inside La Ratatouille is a step into the world of the 2007 Pixar classic Ratatouille. As the story goes, Remy and Linguini, having found success abroad, have been invited to open such a cafe in the historic French Quarter. Their signature dish? Ratatouille. With its exquisite French cuisine and breathtaking second-story view of the Rivers of America, La Ratatouille makes for the perfect dinner date. Of course, a visit to Parfums Exotiques (the local perfume shop) might be in order after a meet ‘n’ greet with Remy and Emile, who often meet guests in a nearby courtyard.

court-des-anges-disneyland-night-M.jpg

A series of oddities and unique features line the streets outside La Ratatouille, including seats for shoe-shining, the beautiful Court of Angels, and even actual street performers! Mimes, jugglers, and solo musicians often stand outside the storefronts, setting the tone for an authentic trip to New Orleans.

In a courtyard held in the darkest shadows of the "Big Easy," flickering candles and a sign made from human skulls point us toward the dimly lit facade of Dr. Facilier’s Voodoo Emporium. Here we find a dimly-lit hole-in-the-wall marked by a rather macabre welcome plaque made of human skulls and candles. Inside is a realm blanketed in pure mystery, where voodoo dolls and spellbooks lay scattered about carelessly, a boiling cauldron in one corner emitting a "healthy" green glow. Rather than actual voodoo, Dr. Facilier's is the park's villain-themed shop, meaning any and all things related to the dreaded Disney villains are sold here, as well as Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise, select Haunted Mansion items, magic tricks, pranks, tarot cards, and plastic skulls... Naturally, the emporium is filled with interactive elements typical of Dr. Facilier, including an arcade machine that allows a voodoo doll to dance, talking masks, spellbooks that quite clearly have minds of their own, and a serpent fast asleep above the cash registers, occasionally awakening to examine potential prey.

ockRsE2RAk8Ro42SYfX6FOh3k1D6csxvSlaVmkVE0YKRyrBA1JZfpBfw50wwimbZ7G5MIr0LIeiv-TXCukcNO4z79TkW5vEcJ1LdU9j4JkUbYWkJn6tRKlflv8kp54tHPJ5eav0b

The Voodoo Emporium is a fitting neighbor to the shaded underbelly of New Orleans… A step inside an old plantation brings us not into a lavish foyer, but instead into a ramshackle portion of the French Quarter cast beneath the stars of twilight. The pale light of the full moon illuminates a dense bayou, where sleeping alligators and flickering fireflies lie in wait. On the horizon, a rickety houseboat and shrimping-boat gently rock among the thick foliage, an unseen banjo wafting onto the summer breeze amid the chirping crickets and croaking frogs. Thieves' Market is an "open-air" bazaar of rare imports and antiquities. As the market was once owned by the famous Jean Lafitte, the shady merchants and sellers talk and speak as if they were 18th Century pirates of the Delta City. Their wares include trinkets of silver and gold, weathered books, China porcelain, leather, fine jewelry, and much, much more. Vendors in need of a “quick buck” operate snack stands from within the marketplace, selling gumbo and deep-fried catfish to name a few cheap dishes.

Back in the daylight, we find additional shops and a single attraction before departing from the French Quarter. Intrigue brings us to the One-of-a-Kind Shop, a shop where all of the inventory is...well...one-of-a-kind! If anything, this is an antique store of sorts, where vintage clocks, watches, jewelry, vases, carved statuettes, etc. As the name implies, once an item is bought, it won't be coming back anytime soon, as everything here is one-of-a-kind...unless marked otherwise. 1928 is another shop unique to the French Quarter. 1928, named for the year that a certain mouse debuted, is unique, whereas it sells animation cels and original artwork from Disney films, not to mention hand-carved decorations and statuettes for year-round decor. While Main Street, U.S.A. has Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe as a year-round Christmas shop, the French Quarter has a full-on seasonal shop that changes depending on the holiday. This shop is appropriately called Chaque Vacances ("Every Holiday"). From mid-January to late-February, the shop is themed to Valentine's Day; from early-March to late-April the shop is themed to Easter; from early-May to late-August, the shop is themed to summer; from early-September to October 31st, the shop is themed to Halloween; from early-November to early-January, the shop is themed to Christmas and Hanukkah.

1065374_1341166689919_full.jpg

Tiana’s famous beignets are all the rage down at Tiana's Palace, a beacon for the New Orleans elite. Nestled proudly at a bend in the river, live jazz music and the musical stylings of Louis the Alligator attract visitors from far and near to come out and sample just what Tiana's cooking in her prized kitchen. Art Deco fixtures and a sweeping ballroom further complement the cajun cuisine and five-star service. Of course, the French Quarter is the place to go if you want to meet the beloved characters from The Princess and the Frog. Tiana, Naveen, Louis, Charlotte and even Dr. Facilier make appearances here throughout the day; with Tiana and Naveen occasionally joining travelers aboard the Mark Twain!

1515537442880-png.255431

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkyqLhLXQ4

In the thicket beyond the elegant French Quarter and Tiana’s Palace, towering trees and bubbling streams mark the entrance to the mysterious bayous of the New Orleans swamp, home of The Princess and the Frog: Tiana's Tale. For the first time ever, the world of Disney's 49th animated classic is brought to life, in a manner similar to Ariel's Undersea Adventure at DCA and the Magic Kingdom. Stepping off from Mama Odie's tree-house, we board a giant lilypad and explore the world of the film, with vivid musical numbers, high-tech animatronics, and three-dimensional set pieces. Mama Odie's, being surrounded by dense foliage is an appropriate transition from the bayous of Frontierland to the forests of Fantasyland. Head east from Mama Odie's, and you'll find yourself in-between Alice's Curious Labyrinth and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in Fantasyland's Enchanted Forest.

And just like that, our tour of Frontierland is complete! What do you think, guys?

Most of what you just saw here is from the mind of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit goes out to him! It was a concept too good not to use.

Well, there's only two parts of Disneyland left to discover before we start peeking at individual rides, so in the next post, we'll begin by looking at a relative newcomer to the Disney park family: Discoveryland!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Discoveryland

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%2010.38.48%20PM-590x369.png

Heading northwest from the Partners Statue, we find ourselves walking directly past Snow White Castle and towards a rustic entryway that rivals that of Frontierland's on the adjacent side of the Hub. Rather than finding a castle, log-fortress, or Polynesian-inspired bamboo bridge, we find a truly odd sight: a collection of buildings typical of San Francisco from 1860 to 1880 (around the time of said city's heyday) jammed and broken into a collection of desert rockwork typical of the fanciful Bryce Canyon in Utah. Even stranger, clocks of varying sizes and styles appear amid the rocks, cracked and broken yet still working, some with their hands wildly spinning clockwise, others spinning counterclockwise. Carved into a rock prominently displayed on the edges of Timeless River is the word "Discoveryland", signaling the next portion of our journey to begin. Crossing a bridge built from scrap metal and old ship pieces, we step back in time to a world that truly never existed.

Upon entering, a massive lagoon is the first thing that grabs our attention, gently flowing beneath the northernmost tracks of the Disneyland Railroad and into Fantasyland to the north. We have just stepped into a seaside port of the California Gold Rush as it appeared just a few decades shy of two centuries ago, the bustling port town of San Francisco to be exact. Despite the historic recreation of "the Paris of the West," several key factors make Discovery Bay into a realm of pure fantasy; steampunk structures and architecture protrude among the historic; an intimidating volcano pierces the horizon; gold and bronze spires kiss the clouds; a true sense of adventure fills our hearts. This is the Gold Rush that never was. Tony Baxter's famous unbuilt Discovery Bay concept has been given new life here. This is purely and wholly a realm of discovery.

Discoveryland is a seamless combination of fantasy, history, magic, and science fiction, a lasting tribute and testament to the age of inventors, dreamers, and philosophers. Despite the evident setting of Gold Rush-era San Francisco, the overall "copper" feel of Discoveryland hints at an unreal time when the past, future, and present coexist side-by-side, each unable to pinpoint which one is different from the other. This is a realm in which the likes of Jules Verne or H.G. Wells would like to call home. Discovery Lighthouse is the first thing to greet us as we step towards the water's edge, a twisted, steampunk structure beckoning us towards the bay from all points of the city. In front of it sits a statue of two children reaching up towards the uncarried heavens, determined looks on their faces. On a plaque, the following phrase is engraved: "All that is within the limit of possibility must be and will be accomplished." The Discovery Balloon Ascent of neighboring Fantasyland soars by overhead as we continue our tour.

Nearby, we find a miniature recreation of Chinatown where Chinese immigrants of the era have set up shop in a small wharf-like setting. The Fireworks Factory, the park's third themed-shooting gallery allows us to take potshots at pinwheels and firecrackers, setting off a multitude of pyrotechnic gags and mishaps. The Lucky Fortune Cookery takes us on a tour of an authentic fortune cookie factory, allowing free samples and oddly enough, a window offering a wide variety of different items that utilize fortune cookies in their ingredients. Silk Road Traders, named in honor of the famed Marco Polo Expedition, sits nearby the Lucky Fortune. The wares and decor of a Chinese expedition are available for purchase: kimonos, masks, fans, and more. And despite being set in the American West, Mulan, Shang and Mushu have been known to frequent the small square of Chinatown, especially as we draw near the month of Chinese New Year

9odXYdHHRVvIGu_vEM6eMBp3-SHz7INdEK-PH8_rqpf-cst9ajxlelsdKNUguLE-BS7VfjHEYiS9aYJxWMXfOimoTYN52iwOoCKAp4DojFL6B7UP1mWKjeddlmeUMZwHl_mOtbgN

Beautiful architecture reminiscent of a Chinese palace welcomes us to the elegant Dragon Flame Tea House. Wagyu beef noodle soup and an assorted variety of Chinese dishes are the main offering at this fanciful restaurant of live - or not-so-live - entertainment. Authentic Chinese acrobats and an Audio Animatronic figure of Confucius are in the evening’s entertainment, preceded by an appearance from a talking dragon who, while billowing smoke, asks diners, "Mind if I have a smoke?"

aquatopia.jpg

Moving east, the Victorian-era architecture of Gold Rush San Francisco begins to take shape, a perfect rival to the distinctly rugged Frontierland on the opposing side of the park. Hand-painted facades and miniscule details immerse us into the surroundings of a steampunk fan's dreams, starting with mechanical animals and statuettes composed of gears, cogs, and pipes appearing throughout the planters and walkways. Along the shoreline, steam-powered rowboats and miniature sternwheelers rest near docks that have long-since been smashed and sunken into the murky waters. Strangely, a mechanical shark fin can be seen floating by from time to time, as can a mechanical crocodile of the steampunk variety. Again, this park is all about the details, and Discovery Bay is certainly no exception. One of the docks (which isn't smashed) leads us to the loading area for Aquatopia, a retro-futuristic spin on the classic bumper boats. Occasionally, the steampunk sea creatures will popup from the waters and attempt to get in the way of the fun, but they always back down...literally. Like its source material, Aquatopia is controlled via wifi, meaning no underwater track is involved.

An unpresuming wooden warehouse upon the lake is home to the Tinkerer's Workshop, the primary laboratory for Discoveryland's inventors. Guests may try their hands at a variety of interactive exhibits. Hand cranks operate gears. Bellows stoke furnaces. Pedal-powered engines fuel ludicrous gizmos. Guests may take up flare guns and practice their aim in the explosives bunker. As the workshop’s signature element, guests draw on high-tech interactive screens made to resemble blueprint paper. Here they combine mechanical gewgaws and invent their own flying contraptions. Actual animatronic mechanisms then merge these same parts before guests' very eyes, to form actual working prototypes

tdr-soarin.jpg

Continuing down the path, a massive zeppelin sits within an opened-garage facing the lagoon; this garage being Reichelt Hangar, named for Franz Reichelt, the ill-fated pioneer of the parachute. And this airship is none other than the majestic Hyperion, as seen in Disney's 1974 sci-fi epic The Island at the Top of the World. It seems only fitting that Reichelt Hangar is home to not just Cafe Hyperion, a quick refreshment stop and coffee bar, but also one of the most popular attractions in Disney history: Soarin', which is housed within a large glass aviary filled with bizarre flight-based contraptions seeming to have been designed by Da Vinci himself. For Disneyland Maine's take on the beloved attraction, a new film with scenes both new and old will be installed, as will the theme of Leonardo Da Vinci given to the Tokyo DisneySea version of the attraction. In this version, Da Vinci's assistant sneaks us aboard the great inventor's flying machine, only to quickly discover that is far faster and more efficient than we might have thought. In a mere matter of seconds, passengers are transported forward in time, soaring over the sweeping plains of Africa to the majestic spires of the Golden Gate Bridge, and so on so forth. Better yet, the whole of the attraction is presented in HD-4D, a Soarin' first, and is once again set to Jerry Goldsmith's original sweeping score. (although I must admit, I do enjoy both the original Goldsmith, as well as Bruce Broughton's re-arrangement for Soarin' Around the World.)

Not too far from the Hyperion's hangar, Da Vinci’s Workshop poses an age-old question: "What would it be like to step into the workshop of this fearless inventor?" Well, wonder no more. In this quiet bounty of Renaissance-era trinkets, gadgets, back corners, hidden nooks, and otherworldly contraptions held in the space beneath the towering Hyperion, Da Vinci still lives, having been quietly hiding here for centuries… Only recently has the famed inventor reopened the doors to his fabled workshop. Interactive elements are portrayed in the form of inventions and bits of medieval machinery, all from the marvelous mind of Da Vinci. Erector sets, science kits, and other such technological toys are for sale among the great inventor’s wild ideas and scattered blueprints. The Grand Dirigible, modeled after the war balloon from Atlantis: The Lost Empire, is prominently displayed in the Discoveryland airspace. At the base, a simple pin trader, and a prominent source for Disneyland collectibles. Speaking of which, characters from the 2001 cult classic -- particularly Milo, Kida, Mole and Vinny -- often roam the streets of Discoveryland, eager to meet guests.

8959744475_312628c0d5_b.jpg

Nearby Da Vinci's and the Grand Dirigible rest the tracks of the Disneyland Railroad as they head back to Main Street, U.S.A. The railroad itself makes its third stop here at the Discoveryland Junction, a rustic center of trade still utilized by miners sending their glimmering fortunes back home.

Heading northeast from Discovery Lighthouse takes us towards the northernmost reaches of the park, as well as the aforementioned volcano and entrance to Fantasyland (right near Fantasy Harbour, to be exact). A collection of shops and eateries line our path in Discovery Lane, a small marketplace of unique trinkets and baubles, as well as baked goods, Discoveryland-unique dishes, and candy; lots and lots of candy. The window displays lining the Fisherman's Wharf-esque shops are rather odd and reminiscent of the long-lost vision of the future as presented by many a 19th century futurist. Many of the buildings themselves appear to be covered in Captain Nemo-designed inventions and machinery, all working in strenuous harmony for the good of the city. In fact, plans within the shop reveal that Nemo is responsible for much of Discovery Bay's futuristic ideals and technology, seamlessly intertwining California's rich history with the fanciful works of Jules Verne. Brompton's Haberdashery is a clothing shop modeled after Harrod’s, spanning the lakefront near the heliocentric model. All apparel boasts the finest steampunk fashion sense, and riveted accessories help complete the look. K.A. Bhume's TNT & Joke Shop sits next door. K.A. Bhume, a wealthy entrepreneur and award-winning big game hunter (primitive photographs demonstrate his travels in Adventureland's Forgotten Kingdom) operates his shop with great pride, selling inventory of a wacky variety; false limbs, fake animal trophies, pop-guns, gag gifts, chattering teeth, ventriloquist dummies, etc. Harbormaster's Grill is a simple quick service station over glacial docks. Basic, comforting seafood options include fish ‘n’ chips, clam chowder, and Maine lobster. Diners may either eat near water’s edge, or retire to a boathouse loaded with artifacts from past explorations.

DLP%20Discoveryland%2004.jpg

From the streets of Discovery Lane, we find ourselves standing before some unique contraption built into the rockwork; shaped like some sort of spacecraft. In front of this spacecraft, we find a dedicated statue of Thomas Edison, the man responsible for some of the inventions that have made our life easier. A step inside the spacecraft takes us on a trip through time and space aboard Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, one of the most seminal shows in Disney Parks history. Starting at the turn-of-the-century, we meet up with everyone's favorite Audio-Animatronic family -- father John, mother Sarah, daughter Grace, son James, Grandma, Grandpa, faithful dog Rover and, of course, Cousin Orville -- who showcase the latest breakthroughs in home-based technology. As the show continues, we step forward in time to the next generation of progress, then the next, and the next, until finally, we see how far progress has traveled into the future and how it may have an affect on our everyday lives. Delighting guests ever since its debut at the 1964 World's Fair, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress is a perfect reminder that there's always a "great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day." Oh, and by the way, the rockwork the show building is hidden in is visible from Central Plaza. Keep your eyes peeled next time you look at Discoveryland's entrance -- you may just see the walls of the rockwork spin, adding another level of excitement and kineticism to the park!

Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress finds itself back-to-back with another area of discovery: The Gardens of Mystery. The Gardens of Mystery are truly a mystery in terms of what it stands for. In this peaceful courtyard filled with bizarrely-shaped fountains and topiaries, statues and mosaics dedicated to the world's greatest unsolved mysteries (don't worry, nothing too sinister) are found, as are tributes to the eight wonders of the world, both natural and manmade. The Gardens of Mystery also hold the distinction of being interchangeable with a seasonal Halloween walkthrough: 1492. 1492 takes us back in time to the year when Columbus first set foot in the New World. However, in a not-so-chirpy fashion, Columbus and his crew appear to have been cursed through mysterious means, turning into undead sailors bent on collecting more members for their crew to join them for an eternity. Can we escape? Of course we can, it's just a Halloween maze.

Moving north from the Gardens of Mystery, the railroad tracks are in plain sight, this time as a long trestle running over the waters of the lagoon. On the not-so-distant horizon we see parts of Arendelle and Fantasy Harbour. Suddenly, the earth begins to shake... A dim rumble comes from below the ground... An earthquake, perhaps?

JyhIDKYyT2GOwtwRLZUF636a_XLi4zGUsKzuAoGlQ3BkNV_EEqWne7pzkBTrtYHzqGkGeMFuLUiLXWsFZBQtlV0SjNeBIUTgodim2ZJhj2IUk0BvrIb1_EpDGoeDhm33Nt95d5rZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewmkCetnwo

Standing tall at the northernmost end of Discoveryland, we look toward the foreboding sight of Mount Prometheus, the biggest, tallest, hottest volcano in this fictional representation of Northern California. Steam vents and volcanic rocks litter the surrounding shores, hinting at volcanic activity not-so-deep beneath the earth. Pines and redwoods that have since been burnt to a crisp still stand among the muddy walkways. The primeval mountain can be counted on to erupt without warning, spewing smoke and fire into the heavens above, a truly spectacular sight when viewed after dark. The massive volcano can be seen from almost anywhere in the Magic Kingdom, standing at roughly the same towering height as Snow White Castle. 750,000 square feet of rock were used to construct Discoveryland’s monstrous icon, easily rivaling the other mountains of Disneyland. Just like its equivalent in Tokyo DisneySea, Mount Prometheus is the home of Discovery Bay's star attraction: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

As the story goes, Captain Nemo and his men have set up camp in the storied supervolcano, wishing to collect the precious gems and minerals found within the mountain’s core. Boarding a "subterranean vehicle of Nemo’s invention, we begin our journey; a direct lift of the journey found at Tokyo DisneySea. A labyrinth of tunnels and caves showcase the supernatural wonders found within Mount Prometheus; giant mushrooms, glowing crystals, strange creatures. A sudden earthquake causes an unforeseen cave-in, forcing our vehicle off-route and into the volcanic nest of some large creature who initiates a powerful eruption that sends us whisking up and down the side of Mount Prometheus in a thrilling finale rivaling that of all other thrill rides in the park

Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0080-L.jpg

Mount Prometheus is almost an entire sub-land dedicated to the writings and imagination of Jules Verne. Once inside Nemo's base camp, we discover a rocky oceanfront looking to the waters of a bubbling, primordial lagoon. Because Mount Prometheus is an active volcano (thanks to the help of Disney magic), there is a restless energy all around you. Steam can be seen escaping from cracks in the side of the volcano. The landscape is rocky and devoid of plant life. There is a turbulent waterway which occupies the center of the area, and geysers shoot up dozens of feet in the air. The iconic Nautilus has docked in the lagoon, the gallant submarine of the infamous Captain Nemo himself. If the Nautilus is here, that can only mean one thing... Heading down a spiral staircase into the lagoon of this base camp, we enter an underground docking area, readied to board our very own miniature submarine. quipped with flashlight-like inventions of Captain Nemo, we dive fathoms below to investigate an underwater volcano, only to sail thru a graveyard of lost ships, have a chance encounter with a giant squid, and ultimately experience a run-in with a googly-eyed sea serpent amid the benevolent humanoids in the lost continent of Atlantis. These fish-like sentients help us make an emergency return to the surface when all seems lost.

HD4U3h7hyH4Cu61RYBdZIBI9pQVksrFgy__-fZKEJXMsbPwuvfO-mE_sfBtSkhOwp4IrEL9lX_BPm_GC21n7ysET8zXV5wP6b1o_-ra1bJkg6CNNJ2oxqR-C0YNGcaMUAcxy9xSf

Needless to say, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is quite a unique attraction. Yet another lift from Tokyo DisneySea, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is set in a "dry-for-wet" environment, meaning all the undersea locations and creatures are held in a dry show building; the submarine portholes are double-paned, filled with liquid. Bubbles are blown into the liquid to simulate the illusion of a deep-sea descent. For those who wish to truly submerge beneath the surface, a visit to Nemo’s Grand Salon inside the actual Nautilus is a lavish dining experience quite unlike any other in Discoveryland. Windows look to the vast world beneath the surface, with schools of fish, coral reefs, medieval shipwrecks, and the ominous silhouette of a giant squid lurking in the aquatic world beyond...

Not all of Discoveryland features the likeliness of inventors and gold miners. In fact, the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, located under the shadow of Mount Prometheus, stands for another great factor of the 19th century: adventure. Trophy heads and woodcrafted animals decorate the lavish grill and bar, all the while a series of large windows provide majestic views of the prehistoric volcano. Another great explorer finds representation in the form of James Cook's, the man responsible for making contact with Hawai'i, Australia, New Zealand, and many other islands across the Atlantic and Pacific. James Cook's, held within a combination of an old British galleon and retro-futuristic escape pod, sells science fiction and vintage explorer-related merchandise, as well as items unique to the Discoveryland area. On the outskirts of Mount Prometheus is the landing of the Discovery Balloon Ascent following its magnificent cross thru Mount Prometheus.

Located closer to the shoreline, though still in the shadow of Mount Prometheus, is Astronomer's Point, an actual observatory pointed towards the heavens. Aside from an immersive planetarium utilizing the latest in modern technology, streetmosphere performers dressed in the likeliness of Galileo and Da Vinci often tell tales of the heavens from within the old observatory, often utilizing a rather antique telescope with the telling of their tales. A more high-tech telescope offers us glimpses of the heavens themselves, a truly magical experience. Astronomer's Point is neighbored by a true classic that rounds off and completes Discoveryland.

audio-animatronics-disneyland-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world-feat-18.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNgHvna48Q

The late-great Robin Williams posthumously provides his voice to the title character of The Timekeeper, the finest in CircleVision 360 entertainment that has long been forgotten in the Disney theme park universe. Today, Timekeeper is back and better than ever in Disneyland Maine featuring a new HD film (while the scenes remain the same to accommodate the Robin Williams/Rhea Perlmann dialogue; they're all new and reshot; even the Jules Verne actor is different) with new in-theater effects and magic. Entering the theater sends us far forward into the future where robots in the likeliness of Timekeeper and 9-Eyes are able to exist, the dream of many a classic futurist come true. What ensues next is a 360 degree trip through time and space, all the while accompanied by an unintentionally "kidnapped" Jules Verne who experiences many ideas in which he wrote about coming into fruition.

What'd you think of our adventures in Discoveryland, guys? Again, much of what you just saw here is from the mind of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit goes out to him!

Now, the bizarre, yet wonderful adventures of Discoveryland don't end in Discoveryland... Practically the entire eastern half of Disneyland is devoted to science fact and science fiction. There is so much magic to be found here that just doing one big Tomorrowland with several sub-areas wouldn't do it justice in the slightest. With my Disneyland, I wanted to have two of my favorite concepts for Tomorrowland take center-stage: Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland (with Tony Baxter's Discovery Bay thrown in for good measrue) and the 1994 MK Tomorrowland. If Discoveryland focuses on the science-fiction world of the 1800s, Tomorrowland takes us into the 20th century with the pulp-fiction Deco-Tech worlds of the 20s and 30s, a world of neon and chrome, where it feels like anything can happen. And that's where we'll be heading next.

Our walkthrough tour of Disneyland is almost complete, my friends. We have only one more land to discover before we go back and take a closer look at some of the park's headlining attractions. Stay tuned! And be sure to leave some feedback, if you have any!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Discoveryland

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%2010.38.48%20PM-590x369.png

Heading northwest from the Partners Statue, we find ourselves walking directly past Snow White Castle and towards a rustic entryway that rivals that of Frontierland's on the adjacent side of the Hub. Rather than finding a castle, log-fortress, or Polynesian-inspired bamboo bridge, we find a truly odd sight: a collection of buildings typical of San Francisco from 1860 to 1880 (around the time of said city's heyday) jammed and broken into a collection of desert rockwork typical of the fanciful Bryce Canyon in Utah. Even stranger, clocks of varying sizes and styles appear amid the rocks, cracked and broken yet still working, some with their hands wildly spinning clockwise, others spinning counterclockwise. Carved into a rock prominently displayed on the edges of Timeless River is the word "Discoveryland", signaling the next portion of our journey to begin. Crossing a bridge built from scrap metal and old ship pieces, we step back in time to a world that truly never existed.

Upon entering, a massive lagoon is the first thing that grabs our attention, gently flowing beneath the northernmost tracks of the Disneyland Railroad and into Fantasyland to the north. We have just stepped into a seaside port of the California Gold Rush as it appeared just a few decades shy of two centuries ago, the bustling port town of San Francisco to be exact. Despite the historic recreation of "the Paris of the West," several key factors make Discovery Bay into a realm of pure fantasy; steampunk structures and architecture protrude among the historic; an intimidating volcano pierces the horizon; gold and bronze spires kiss the clouds; a true sense of adventure fills our hearts. This is the Gold Rush that never was. Tony Baxter's famous unbuilt Discovery Bay concept has been given new life here. This is purely and wholly a realm of discovery.

Discoveryland is a seamless combination of fantasy, history, magic, and science fiction, a lasting tribute and testament to the age of inventors, dreamers, and philosophers. Despite the evident setting of Gold Rush-era San Francisco, the overall "copper" feel of Discoveryland hints at an unreal time when the past, future, and present coexist side-by-side, each unable to pinpoint which one is different from the other. This is a realm in which the likes of Jules Verne or H.G. Wells would like to call home. Discovery Lighthouse is the first thing to greet us as we step towards the water's edge, a twisted, steampunk structure beckoning us towards the bay from all points of the city. In front of it sits a statue of two children reaching up towards the uncarried heavens, determined looks on their faces. On a plaque, the following phrase is engraved: "All that is within the limit of possibility must be and will be accomplished." The Discovery Balloon Ascent of neighboring Fantasyland soars by overhead as we continue our tour.

Nearby, we find a miniature recreation of Chinatown where Chinese immigrants of the era have set up shop in a small wharf-like setting. The Fireworks Factory, the park's third themed-shooting gallery allows us to take potshots at pinwheels and firecrackers, setting off a multitude of pyrotechnic gags and mishaps. The Lucky Fortune Cookery takes us on a tour of an authentic fortune cookie factory, allowing free samples and oddly enough, a window offering a wide variety of different items that utilize fortune cookies in their ingredients. Silk Road Traders, named in honor of the famed Marco Polo Expedition, sits nearby the Lucky Fortune. The wares and decor of a Chinese expedition are available for purchase: kimonos, masks, fans, and more. And despite being set in the American West, Mulan, Shang and Mushu have been known to frequent the small square of Chinatown, especially as we draw near the month of Chinese New Year

9odXYdHHRVvIGu_vEM6eMBp3-SHz7INdEK-PH8_rqpf-cst9ajxlelsdKNUguLE-BS7VfjHEYiS9aYJxWMXfOimoTYN52iwOoCKAp4DojFL6B7UP1mWKjeddlmeUMZwHl_mOtbgN

Beautiful architecture reminiscent of a Chinese palace welcomes us to the elegant Dragon Flame Tea House. Wagyu beef noodle soup and an assorted variety of Chinese dishes are the main offering at this fanciful restaurant of live - or not-so-live - entertainment. Authentic Chinese acrobats and an Audio Animatronic figure of Confucius are in the evening’s entertainment, preceded by an appearance from a talking dragon who, while billowing smoke, asks diners, "Mind if I have a smoke?"

aquatopia.jpg

Moving east, the Victorian-era architecture of Gold Rush San Francisco begins to take shape, a perfect rival to the distinctly rugged Frontierland on the opposing side of the park. Hand-painted facades and miniscule details immerse us into the surroundings of a steampunk fan's dreams, starting with mechanical animals and statuettes composed of gears, cogs, and pipes appearing throughout the planters and walkways. Along the shoreline, steam-powered rowboats and miniature sternwheelers rest near docks that have long-since been smashed and sunken into the murky waters. Strangely, a mechanical shark fin can be seen floating by from time to time, as can a mechanical crocodile of the steampunk variety. Again, this park is all about the details, and Discovery Bay is certainly no exception. One of the docks (which isn't smashed) leads us to the loading area for Aquatopia, a retro-futuristic spin on the classic bumper boats. Occasionally, the steampunk sea creatures will popup from the waters and attempt to get in the way of the fun, but they always back down...literally. Like its source material, Aquatopia is controlled via wifi, meaning no underwater track is involved.

An unpresuming wooden warehouse upon the lake is home to the Tinkerer's Workshop, the primary laboratory for Discoveryland's inventors. Guests may try their hands at a variety of interactive exhibits. Hand cranks operate gears. Bellows stoke furnaces. Pedal-powered engines fuel ludicrous gizmos. Guests may take up flare guns and practice their aim in the explosives bunker. As the workshop’s signature element, guests draw on high-tech interactive screens made to resemble blueprint paper. Here they combine mechanical gewgaws and invent their own flying contraptions. Actual animatronic mechanisms then merge these same parts before guests' very eyes, to form actual working prototypes

tdr-soarin.jpg

Continuing down the path, a massive zeppelin sits within an opened-garage facing the lagoon; this garage being Reichelt Hangar, named for Franz Reichelt, the ill-fated pioneer of the parachute. And this airship is none other than the majestic Hyperion, as seen in Disney's 1974 sci-fi epic The Island at the Top of the World. It seems only fitting that Reichelt Hangar is home to not just Cafe Hyperion, a quick refreshment stop and coffee bar, but also one of the most popular attractions in Disney history: Soarin', which is housed within a large glass aviary filled with bizarre flight-based contraptions seeming to have been designed by Da Vinci himself. For Disneyland Maine's take on the beloved attraction, a new film with scenes both new and old will be installed, as will the theme of Leonardo Da Vinci given to the Tokyo DisneySea version of the attraction. In this version, Da Vinci's assistant sneaks us aboard the great inventor's flying machine, only to quickly discover that is far faster and more efficient than we might have thought. In a mere matter of seconds, passengers are transported forward in time, soaring over the sweeping plains of Africa to the majestic spires of the Golden Gate Bridge, and so on so forth. Better yet, the whole of the attraction is presented in HD-4D, a Soarin' first, and is once again set to Jerry Goldsmith's original sweeping score. (although I must admit, I do enjoy both the original Goldsmith, as well as Bruce Broughton's re-arrangement for Soarin' Around the World.)

Not too far from the Hyperion's hangar, Da Vinci’s Workshop poses an age-old question: "What would it be like to step into the workshop of this fearless inventor?" Well, wonder no more. In this quiet bounty of Renaissance-era trinkets, gadgets, back corners, hidden nooks, and otherworldly contraptions held in the space beneath the towering Hyperion, Da Vinci still lives, having been quietly hiding here for centuries… Only recently has the famed inventor reopened the doors to his fabled workshop. Interactive elements are portrayed in the form of inventions and bits of medieval machinery, all from the marvelous mind of Da Vinci. Erector sets, science kits, and other such technological toys are for sale among the great inventor’s wild ideas and scattered blueprints. The Grand Dirigible, modeled after the war balloon from Atlantis: The Lost Empire, is prominently displayed in the Discoveryland airspace. At the base, a simple pin trader, and a prominent source for Disneyland collectibles. Speaking of which, characters from the 2001 cult classic -- particularly Milo, Kida, Mole and Vinny -- often roam the streets of Discoveryland, eager to meet guests.

8959744475_312628c0d5_b.jpg

Nearby Da Vinci's and the Grand Dirigible rest the tracks of the Disneyland Railroad as they head back to Main Street, U.S.A. The railroad itself makes its third stop here at the Discoveryland Junction, a rustic center of trade still utilized by miners sending their glimmering fortunes back home.

Heading northeast from Discovery Lighthouse takes us towards the northernmost reaches of the park, as well as the aforementioned volcano and entrance to Fantasyland (right near Fantasy Harbour, to be exact). A collection of shops and eateries line our path in Discovery Lane, a small marketplace of unique trinkets and baubles, as well as baked goods, Discoveryland-unique dishes, and candy; lots and lots of candy. The window displays lining the Fisherman's Wharf-esque shops are rather odd and reminiscent of the long-lost vision of the future as presented by many a 19th century futurist. Many of the buildings themselves appear to be covered in Captain Nemo-designed inventions and machinery, all working in strenuous harmony for the good of the city. In fact, plans within the shop reveal that Nemo is responsible for much of Discovery Bay's futuristic ideals and technology, seamlessly intertwining California's rich history with the fanciful works of Jules Verne. Brompton's Haberdashery is a clothing shop modeled after Harrod’s, spanning the lakefront near the heliocentric model. All apparel boasts the finest steampunk fashion sense, and riveted accessories help complete the look. K.A. Bhume's TNT & Joke Shop sits next door. K.A. Bhume, a wealthy entrepreneur and award-winning big game hunter (primitive photographs demonstrate his travels in Adventureland's Forgotten Kingdom) operates his shop with great pride, selling inventory of a wacky variety; false limbs, fake animal trophies, pop-guns, gag gifts, chattering teeth, ventriloquist dummies, etc. Harbormaster's Grill is a simple quick service station over glacial docks. Basic, comforting seafood options include fish ‘n’ chips, clam chowder, and Maine lobster. Diners may either eat near water’s edge, or retire to a boathouse loaded with artifacts from past explorations.

DLP%20Discoveryland%2004.jpg

From the streets of Discovery Lane, we find ourselves standing before some unique contraption built into the rockwork; shaped like some sort of spacecraft. In front of this spacecraft, we find a dedicated statue of Thomas Edison, the man responsible for some of the inventions that have made our life easier. A step inside the spacecraft takes us on a trip through time and space aboard Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, one of the most seminal shows in Disney Parks history. Starting at the turn-of-the-century, we meet up with everyone's favorite Audio-Animatronic family -- father John, mother Sarah, daughter Grace, son James, Grandma, Grandpa, faithful dog Rover and, of course, Cousin Orville -- who showcase the latest breakthroughs in home-based technology. As the show continues, we step forward in time to the next generation of progress, then the next, and the next, until finally, we see how far progress has traveled into the future and how it may have an affect on our everyday lives. Delighting guests ever since its debut at the 1964 World's Fair, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress is a perfect reminder that there's always a "great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day." Oh, and by the way, the rockwork the show building is hidden in is visible from Central Plaza. Keep your eyes peeled next time you look at Discoveryland's entrance -- you may just see the walls of the rockwork spin, adding another level of excitement and kineticism to the park!

Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress finds itself back-to-back with another area of discovery: The Gardens of Mystery. The Gardens of Mystery are truly a mystery in terms of what it stands for. In this peaceful courtyard filled with bizarrely-shaped fountains and topiaries, statues and mosaics dedicated to the world's greatest unsolved mysteries (don't worry, nothing too sinister) are found, as are tributes to the eight wonders of the world, both natural and manmade. The Gardens of Mystery also hold the distinction of being interchangeable with a seasonal Halloween walkthrough: 1492. 1492 takes us back in time to the year when Columbus first set foot in the New World. However, in a not-so-chirpy fashion, Columbus and his crew appear to have been cursed through mysterious means, turning into undead sailors bent on collecting more members for their crew to join them for an eternity. Can we escape? Of course we can, it's just a Halloween maze.

Moving north from the Gardens of Mystery, the railroad tracks are in plain sight, this time as a long trestle running over the waters of the lagoon. On the not-so-distant horizon we see parts of Arendelle and Fantasy Harbour. Suddenly, the earth begins to shake... A dim rumble comes from below the ground... An earthquake, perhaps?

JyhIDKYyT2GOwtwRLZUF636a_XLi4zGUsKzuAoGlQ3BkNV_EEqWne7pzkBTrtYHzqGkGeMFuLUiLXWsFZBQtlV0SjNeBIUTgodim2ZJhj2IUk0BvrIb1_EpDGoeDhm33Nt95d5rZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZewmkCetnwo

Standing tall at the northernmost end of Discoveryland, we look toward the foreboding sight of Mount Prometheus, the biggest, tallest, hottest volcano in this fictional representation of Northern California. Steam vents and volcanic rocks litter the surrounding shores, hinting at volcanic activity not-so-deep beneath the earth. Pines and redwoods that have since been burnt to a crisp still stand among the muddy walkways. The primeval mountain can be counted on to erupt without warning, spewing smoke and fire into the heavens above, a truly spectacular sight when viewed after dark. The massive volcano can be seen from almost anywhere in the Magic Kingdom, standing at roughly the same towering height as Snow White Castle. 750,000 square feet of rock were used to construct Discoveryland’s monstrous icon, easily rivaling the other mountains of Disneyland. Just like its equivalent in Tokyo DisneySea, Mount Prometheus is the home of Discovery Bay's star attraction: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

As the story goes, Captain Nemo and his men have set up camp in the storied supervolcano, wishing to collect the precious gems and minerals found within the mountain’s core. Boarding a "subterranean vehicle of Nemo’s invention, we begin our journey; a direct lift of the journey found at Tokyo DisneySea. A labyrinth of tunnels and caves showcase the supernatural wonders found within Mount Prometheus; giant mushrooms, glowing crystals, strange creatures. A sudden earthquake causes an unforeseen cave-in, forcing our vehicle off-route and into the volcanic nest of some large creature who initiates a powerful eruption that sends us whisking up and down the side of Mount Prometheus in a thrilling finale rivaling that of all other thrill rides in the park

Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0080-L.jpg

Mount Prometheus is almost an entire sub-land dedicated to the writings and imagination of Jules Verne. Once inside Nemo's base camp, we discover a rocky oceanfront looking to the waters of a bubbling, primordial lagoon. Because Mount Prometheus is an active volcano (thanks to the help of Disney magic), there is a restless energy all around you. Steam can be seen escaping from cracks in the side of the volcano. The landscape is rocky and devoid of plant life. There is a turbulent waterway which occupies the center of the area, and geysers shoot up dozens of feet in the air. The iconic Nautilus has docked in the lagoon, the gallant submarine of the infamous Captain Nemo himself. If the Nautilus is here, that can only mean one thing... Heading down a spiral staircase into the lagoon of this base camp, we enter an underground docking area, readied to board our very own miniature submarine. quipped with flashlight-like inventions of Captain Nemo, we dive fathoms below to investigate an underwater volcano, only to sail thru a graveyard of lost ships, have a chance encounter with a giant squid, and ultimately experience a run-in with a googly-eyed sea serpent amid the benevolent humanoids in the lost continent of Atlantis. These fish-like sentients help us make an emergency return to the surface when all seems lost.

HD4U3h7hyH4Cu61RYBdZIBI9pQVksrFgy__-fZKEJXMsbPwuvfO-mE_sfBtSkhOwp4IrEL9lX_BPm_GC21n7ysET8zXV5wP6b1o_-ra1bJkg6CNNJ2oxqR-C0YNGcaMUAcxy9xSf

Needless to say, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is quite a unique attraction. Yet another lift from Tokyo DisneySea, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is set in a "dry-for-wet" environment, meaning all the undersea locations and creatures are held in a dry show building; the submarine portholes are double-paned, filled with liquid. Bubbles are blown into the liquid to simulate the illusion of a deep-sea descent. For those who wish to truly submerge beneath the surface, a visit to Nemo’s Grand Salon inside the actual Nautilus is a lavish dining experience quite unlike any other in Discoveryland. Windows look to the vast world beneath the surface, with schools of fish, coral reefs, medieval shipwrecks, and the ominous silhouette of a giant squid lurking in the aquatic world beyond...

Not all of Discoveryland features the likeliness of inventors and gold miners. In fact, the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, located under the shadow of Mount Prometheus, stands for another great factor of the 19th century: adventure. Trophy heads and woodcrafted animals decorate the lavish grill and bar, all the while a series of large windows provide majestic views of the prehistoric volcano. Another great explorer finds representation in the form of James Cook's, the man responsible for making contact with Hawai'i, Australia, New Zealand, and many other islands across the Atlantic and Pacific. James Cook's, held within a combination of an old British galleon and retro-futuristic escape pod, sells science fiction and vintage explorer-related merchandise, as well as items unique to the Discoveryland area. On the outskirts of Mount Prometheus is the landing of the Discovery Balloon Ascent following its magnificent cross thru Mount Prometheus.

Located closer to the shoreline, though still in the shadow of Mount Prometheus, is Astronomer's Point, an actual observatory pointed towards the heavens. Aside from an immersive planetarium utilizing the latest in modern technology, streetmosphere performers dressed in the likeliness of Galileo and Da Vinci often tell tales of the heavens from within the old observatory, often utilizing a rather antique telescope with the telling of their tales. A more high-tech telescope offers us glimpses of the heavens themselves, a truly magical experience. Astronomer's Point is neighbored by a true classic that rounds off and completes Discoveryland.

audio-animatronics-disneyland-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world-feat-18.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdNgHvna48Q

The late-great Robin Williams posthumously provides his voice to the title character of The Timekeeper, the finest in CircleVision 360 entertainment that has long been forgotten in the Disney theme park universe. Today, Timekeeper is back and better than ever in Disneyland Maine featuring a new HD film (while the scenes remain the same to accommodate the Robin Williams/Rhea Perlmann dialogue; they're all new and reshot; even the Jules Verne actor is different) with new in-theater effects and magic. Entering the theater sends us far forward into the future where robots in the likeliness of Timekeeper and 9-Eyes are able to exist, the dream of many a classic futurist come true. What ensues next is a 360 degree trip through time and space, all the while accompanied by an unintentionally "kidnapped" Jules Verne who experiences many ideas in which he wrote about coming into fruition.

What'd you think of our adventures in Discoveryland, guys? Again, much of what you just saw here is from the mind of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit goes out to him!

Now, the bizarre, yet wonderful adventures of Discoveryland don't end in Discoveryland... Practically the entire eastern half of Disneyland is devoted to science fact and science fiction. There is so much magic to be found here that just doing one big Tomorrowland with several sub-areas wouldn't do it justice in the slightest. With my Disneyland, I wanted to have two of my favorite concepts for Tomorrowland take center-stage: Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland (with Tony Baxter's Discovery Bay thrown in for good measrue) and the 1994 MK Tomorrowland. If Discoveryland focuses on the science-fiction world of the 1800s, Tomorrowland takes us into the 20th century with the pulp-fiction Deco-Tech worlds of the 20s and 30s, a world of neon and chrome, where it feels like anything can happen. And that's where we'll be heading next.

Our walkthrough tour of Disneyland is almost complete, my friends. We have only one more land to discover before we go back and take a closer look at some of the park's headlining attractions. Stay tuned! And be sure to leave some feedback, if you have any!

Another excellent addition!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Okay, everybody, here it is: the final land in my Disneyland.

Tomorrowland

wBcjXrjQgq-4aBTIpovVVwa7phdMGL0UvbActXQyIJ1qHSqUP5LzXklPEYVvFJgeRb_8Vij06mBT5SSJ8Goju6-R8fugCDowlz2vxccgx6BJIRWvslaekd4FJEPTKbLo89LbsrFz

Imagine, if you will, a vision of the future with its roots in the past… In this kinetic metropolis of tomorrow, the hope and promise for a better future have seamlessly clashed with the color and imagination of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. Amidst landed spacecrafts, whirring contraptions, and bizarre creatures from the darkest reaches of known space, the "future that never was" is finally here.

Volcanic rock formations mark the entrance to Tomorrowland, hissing steam from leagues beneath the earth… Misshapen rocks and sparkling crystals protrude from the waters below, undulating with an ethereal, almost alien glow. As a rusted placard decrees, these supernatural formations were uncovered just centuries before, the last relics of a vanished sentient race. The crystals have only begun to glow as of late, a supposed beacon for the return of their creators to Earth. As always, we enter the land via bridge; only, our bridge here is built from the half-submerged wreckage of a flying saucer crashed into Timeless River…

z96l1S63IlJIYFw3NuDp04sn_ez7aRr9jgWUTidoTnIxoY5rseVPKAqYGb-EFxbusYC7A1k2M38STGm_U3vNC5QFtnPfnlWVwfaMmwDvKi-uZugxwUjJQN1u4IzZrOPo9tjo8bo8

When we step foot inside this immense metropolis, we'll find ourselves in an advanced, "modernized" spaceport of the 24th Century, as made clear by the seamless blend of chrome, iron and metal, washed in hues of blues and purples - not to mention video advertisements produced by the city to describe their "reinvention". Outlandish, ominous, and wholeheartedly bizarre, Tomorrowland blends the pulp Deco-Tech aesthetic of 1920s science-fiction with the color, neon and imagination of tomorrow’s utopia. Imagine the Magic Kingdom's 1994 take on Tomorrowland, but on a much grander scale. Here, everyday living is improved thru curious science, oddball invention and intergalactic travel… Robots, space aliens, and human inventors - fictional or otherwise - work, live, and play here in perfect harmony.

Beneath the soaring highways of the Tomorrowland PeopleMover and the towering arches of this bustling community, we venture down Cosmic Way, the "Main Street" of science fiction. Kinetic sculptures, video walls, and electronic advertisements portray the innovation and mystique of "tomorrow," with nonsensical gadgets to save on human labor. Storefront windows display robots performing household chores, a la Horizons. In the vast promenade at the end of Cosmic Way, a sleek, streamlined rocket, The Explorer points to the stars, readied for a launch into some far-off system beyond sight and sound. The narrow "mall" of Cosmic Way features an attraction on either side: To the left, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Rescue. To the right, The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

content3_2.jpg

Being one of the most prominent spaceports in the galaxy, Tomorrowland is home to a division of the Star Command Recruitment Center. Here, all hopeful Space Rangers can apply to see if they've got what it takes to serve their galaxy. Even better, they'll get to train with Captain Buzz Lightyear himself! But before we can begin, an emergency call comes in from Star Command. Emperor Zurg, sworn enemy of the Galactic Alliance, has returned to demolish the Space Aliens’ planet with a crystal-powered Superblaster. It’s up to you to infiltrate Zurg’s secret lair, neutralize his army of underlings and eliminate the weapon of “mass alien destruction” before it’s too late! This is no training exercise. This time, the danger is real.

Aboard your very own Space Cruiser, head to Zurg’s hideout armed with red and green pulse blasters that’ll help block interstellar attacks along the way Once you spot the Zs on Zurg’s guards, fire away to accumulate points for each target hit. The more points scored, the faster you rise through the ranks of Buzz’s elite squadron. From surviving fighter ships and a siege of Sentry Bots to maneuvering through a maze of corridors and unearthing the crystal mines, Buzz and his crew continue to converge on Zurg and ultimately destroy the Superblaster, on an adventure that will indeed take us "to infinity and beyond!"

alienencounter2.jpg

In the eastern building of Cosmic Way, the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center welcomes visitors to experience the latest in scientific innovation and design from the various corporate leagues of the known universe. A colored fountain points our path into a holding area, where we are soon introduced to the genius, alien minds behind X-S Tech. Once again, we serve as “lucky volunteers” to “seize the future” with X-S and catch glimpse at their latest invention: the X-S 2000 Teleportation System. One awry presentation after another results in an unforgettable encounter...

A botched transmission results in the accidental arrival of a bloodthirsty creature from another planet… Angered, hungry, and confused, the alien monster breaks loose from the teleportation tube, causing horrific chaos in the now-darkened viewing chamber. Gnashing fangs, warm breath, hot drool, shattering glass, splattering blood, and a slimy, foreign tongue are among the extrasensory thrills encountered in this ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. The scariest and decidedly “most adult” attraction in our Magic Kingdom, Alien Encounter derives in origin, name and story from the original, extinct attraction in Florida. Fine-tuning, additional warnings, a rewritten plot, and a subtly revised experience result in a revival of the legendary E-Ticket that, unlike its predecessor, is here to scare… I mean "stay."

The Interplanetary Convention Center hosting Alien Encounter exits into the iconic Star Trader, a retro-futuristic bazaar in which aliens, humans and robots alike are invited to trade, sell and offer their wares from across the universe. In-store murals depict a side of Tomorrowland not seen to us - soaring skyscrapers, bustling highways, and floating suburbs. Not but a few feet from Star Trader is the Tomorrowland Terrace, an outdoor eating area with a stage for live performances. As with many a Tomorrowland Terrace, burgers, fries, and pizza are what's for dinner, although unlike other in-park restaurants, the terrace showcases what a fast food restaurant of tomorrow might run like with plenty of conveyor belts, automated cash registers, and interchanging menu screens, many of the innovations displayed behind windows. The live entertainment varies from local high schools to up and coming bands wishing to get their start, a symbol of hope for a successful tomorrow in their budding careers.

The atmospheric music of Tomorrowland - electro-synthetic musical impressions mostly - carries into the Star Trader and beyond, even while waiting at the station of the Tomorrowland PeopleMover.

tomorrowland-transit-authority-peoplemover-gallery04.jpg

The Tomorrowland PeopleMover never stops moving, even while passengers board and disembark from a rotating platform. With no motor of their own, the PeopleMover cars are powered by magnetic motors embedded within the track. The PeopleMover soars through the second story of Tomorrowland, traveling through the various attractions and pavilions. Aboard the PeopleMover, we can preview almost every attraction in either land, then come back later to see the whole show.

pIT1EppTCA5UZhogdD4ik3lOygUQgtApNe5oEvQwDiKTW2dl460Lxez1TXGYpVyRwJsRmvG-5SrLbVHMB_Zf6ADYM9OevrIBJP8W3ifZRGS5GdN55IY7WvgS9Wq9KcBJqziamfoI

The magnificent Orbitron stands proudly in the heart of Rockettower Plaza, the promenade at the end of Cosmic Way, the aptly titled "Civic Centre of Interstellar Citizenship." Seeming to have been borrowed from the pages of a Buck Rogers comic book, the Orbitron is our chance to maneuver a personal rocket on an airborne series of revolutions held high above the streets of Tomorrowland from an elevated platform, sat directly above the PeopleMover station. The streamlined craft of The Explorer sits adjacent to the planets, cogs and contraptions of the Orbitron, acting as a secondary “weenie” to the fantastical Orbitron. Rocket pilots are invited to dance, float and sail thru the air in conjunction with the Orbitron via 16 mechanical arms.

The sweeping Civic Center of Interstellar Citizenship, Rockettower Plaza is a "Hub" all its own, almost borrowing directly from the footprint of the Tomorrowland in Walt Disney World - of course, the changes here border from the drastic to hugely drastic. Past the elevated platform of the Orbitron and the PeopleMover, we look toward a vast complex of attractions and entertainment. The continuity of this fully-inhabited community is brilliantly carried from one location to the next. Neon signs written in alien tongue imply a new universal language, perhaps pegging English to a secondary speak. Video walls and vibrant, digital posters hint at an ongoing nightlife in the bustling metropolis.

O9kDRvQ3rxZjSozrWoTMfdduHfhmLsfjivwJ-ytHmKjKtAN5nnWQIPCx2Spd2w-P4ujvMhHbl79hMzP2GT8BtO6TIZ42iRVcfeIQo6ExV2FF92vjeAFV9EwRh-INJ3lIYbtykYX0

Beyond Rockettower Plaza, Tomorrowland starts to take on the layout of Disneyland's Tomorrowland. A landed alien spacecraft - all-too-familiar with Close Encounters of the Third Kind - attracts our attention with its wandering searchlights, flowing electric current, and ethereal, phosphorescent glow. Inside, we discover the traveling circus of P.T. Quantum: Plectu’s Fantastic Intergalactic Revue. Seemingly a hundred different aliens, robots and other such fauna inhabit P.T. Quantum's magnificent ship, from the operatic swamp beasts of the Everglade System to the legendary Sonny Eclipse! Intergalactic puns, parodies, and more are all apart of the show. P.T. Quantum's Starliner Diner is the resident tie-into Plectu's Revue, a restaurant built right in the side of the magnificent traveling "theatre-ship." Electronic posters and displayed artifacts depict the storied history of the traveling musical troupe, including several well-deserved Grammy Awards (the trophy portrays an alien creature with multiple heads). Speaking of aliens, at Close Encounters, you can meet up with everyone's favorite alien, Stitch, as well as his ohana: Lilo, Angel, Jumba and Pleakley. Other such visitors to Tomorrowland include Buzz Lightyear, Astronaut Mickey and even WALL-E and EVE!

1516327502041-png.257428

Just a few paces away, at the northernmost reaches of Tomorrowland, framed by a rocky mountainous range which looks a lot like the rocks found at Tomorrowland’s entrance, guests will find an all-new E-ticket: Hovercar Racers. This is a cousin of DCA’s Radiator Springs Racers, but set in a sci-fi, intergalactic Grand Prix. Of course, since this is a world straight out of science-fiction, we won’t race in your average everyday automobile. Instead, we’ll hop into hovercars, inspired by the likes of Buck Rogers. And to create the sense of hovering, the vehicles are equipped with Kuka-arms, thus adding an extra thrill as the cars dive, turn and pivot like they were actually on a futuristic race track. After going through basic prep and tune-up, we find ourselves side by side with another car. There’s the green light--we’re off, speeding down the raceway at speeds man has yet to reach! We zoom through hairpin turns and narrow switchbacks, through the mountains, past thundering waterfalls, futuristic trees, and the not-so-distant skyline of Tomorrowland. Of course, only one car can emerge victorious, and these racers can sometimes get a bit too competitive--so watch out for bumping! Since each ride is randomized, I’m sure guests will come back again and again and see if they’ll win it. It all adds up to an experience that definitely deserves a spot in the winner’s circle!

Going westward from Plectu's takes us towards the border of Tomorrowland and Discoveryland, separated by the track of the PeopleMover. Here, you'll find The Launching Pad, a restaurant themed around a factory plant where they spruce up spaceships before they blast off. Here, you can enjoy some of the finest burgers this side of the Milky Way, accompanied by a whole series of sandwiches and sides, as well as the "Solar System" dessert: eight different cake balls surrounding a yellow cake ball "sun", with some occasional chocolate malted "asteroids" thrown in.

tomorrowland-5.jpg

Back outside in Rockettower Plaza, we find that night has fallen on our day at Disneyland Park. Tomorrowland is perhaps the most striking of all lands in Disneyland after dark - the city is awash in hues of neon and color reflecting off the metallic spires, twisted arches and jagged rocks. Bizarre, near-Avatar-like plant-life is aglow in fluorescent light. Triumphant orchestrations from classic films reminiscent of the space age fill the air both day and night, inspiring us to dream bigger and go further with our ideas and our adventurous spirit. The landed spacecrafts, varied robots and techno-rhythms emulate an omnipresent sense of living, breathing energy throughout the land. In a way, the ominous yet romantic lights of this retro-futuristic world recall not the far-off future of our own imagination, but instead the far-off future of the early 20th Century.

Located to the easternmost edge of Tomorrowland is Innovation Plaza, a corner of the spaceport celebrating the many achievements that we, as a society, have made over the years, and an inspiring look towards the future. In its heart: the magnificent Fountain of Achievement, the largest decorative fountain ever designed for a Disney Park. As the symbol of hope for a peaceful and unified future, towering water jets - reaching heights of up to 50 ft - surround the kinetic World’s Clock laid center in the fountain. As the colored waters dance as an “underscore,” the projected images of our greatest thinkers, inventors, and philosophers fade in and out on the Clock near their country of origin, paired with their most influential quote. At night, the fountain is even more spectacular as the World’s Clock illuminates from within.

0037-005_the_prologue_and_the_promise.jpg

Located to the east of this fountain, we find the FuturePort, terminal for all matters of time travel here in Tomorrowland. It is here where we board our transport on a magnificent voyage to New Horizons. Inspired by the beloved Epcot attraction, New Horizons takes us into a world that we have yet to see...the potential, untapped future of our beloved planet where luscious orchestrations and immersive dioramas filled with animatronics and stunning special effects give us a glimpse at our potential future, such as an underwater city, robotic butlers and maids, future transportation systems, and much, much more. The strong message of "If we can dream it, then we can do it" is carried into the ride's spectacular finale: a simulated, "choose-your-own" journey back to FuturePort. Via flight (or submarine), we choose one of four enticing destinations: Nova Cite, Mesa Verde, Omega Centuri, or Sea Castle.

In this reborn spin on Epcot's classic Horizons, we are treated to an even bigger and better adventure into the future with an ongoing message of coexisting with our fellow humans in a peaceful and unified world. Better yet, we are also given the opportunity to glance at our own future through a series of exhibits and displays found in and around the exit gift shop: Horizons Gifts, a futuristic department store (that quite literally uses means that may be common in future department stores; i.e. robot cashiers) selling the wares and goods of a civilized tomorrow.

On the other side of the fountain is the Tomorrowlanding, an ice-cream shop built into a satellite-topped structure, often sounding off a number of sirens, gears, and cogs as the satellite begins to wildly spin around in circles. Inside, we can make our own ice-cream treats among the inner workings of the satellite, adding for yet another kinetic delight here in Tomorrowland.

1516330962065-png.257436

Directly northwards from the Fountain of Achievement, we find two glorious glass pyramids, which mark the location of another beloved Epcot classic: Journey Into Imagination. Hopping aboard our ride vehicle, we meet the beloved duo of Dreamfinder and Figment aboard their whirring dirigible, the Dreamcatcher. They invite us to come along on a journey to discover what gives the mind that "one little spark of inspiration". What follows is a whimsical trip from the DreamPort into four distinct realms of the imagination: Art, Literature, Theatre and Science. A musical finale leads to the interactive playground of the ImageWorks, held within the pyramids. The ImageWorks are a combination of an arcade and a playground, where countless elements allow us to test our minds and skills through the most creative means possible. Dreamfinder and Figment both make appearances in and around the ImageWorks, Figment of course being an arm-operated puppet, not a walk-around character.

ef387ace0c6415827829e32a83b93f7e.jpg

Sparks of Inspiration is a considerably odd shop where we can design our own toys, purchase Legos and erector sets, customize our phone cases, and make our own plush, a la Build-a-Bear Workshop.

main-qimg-d811b78937ffca9f6a66c4c6548d806e-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCMX7Cmcxus

The Tomorrowland PeopleMover whisks past as we look up towards the defining "weenie" of Innovation Plaza, which towers over Tomorrowland like Mount Prometheus towers over Discoveryland, blending in with the design of the ImageWorks pyramids. It is, of course, Space Mountain, perhaps Disney's most iconic roller-coaster. In this unknown and dangerous frontier, we navigate through a futuristic, glowing space station as you make your way to Mission Control, home of the launch pad for your journey to the farthest realms of space. Upon our arrival, we board our very own sleek spaceship and prepare for a daring adventure into the unknown. Upon blasting off, what follows is a wild roller coaster ride through the deepest banks of space, all the while evading and fighting back against asteroids and black holes; a ride featuring unexpected drops, tight turns, strange special effects, as well as some surprise encounters, an attraction truly meant for those of an older age. Come nightfall, Space Mountain provides an ethereal glow from within, a beacon for those viewing Tomorrowland from the Central Plaza and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etj-9106qZU

Main Street, U.S.A. is the first and last stop of the day at Disneyland. As we venture down the glistening road toward Town Square and the turnstiles beyond, the "Voice of the Magic Kingdom" bids us a fond farewell with the help of Mickey and the gang, waving goodbye from the Main Street railroad station. As the gang recites the familiar lyrics to the "Mickey Mouse Club March," we depart thru the main turnstiles, readied for another day of fun and excitement at the Disneyland Maine Resort.

But don't think the fun ends here... Oh, no. There's still so much left to explore here in this timeless realm of enchantment. In fact, there are a few attractions I want to take you on before we explore the rest of the resort. Stay tuned...

Thus concludes our walking tour of Disneyland Park. But as I said, there are a few attractions here that I want to take a closer look at, so expect those ride-throughs to be coming by soon. We'll begin -- where else? -- with a ride on the Disneyland Railroad. Until then, "see ya real soon!"

Last edited:

MANEATINGWREATH

I definitely don't mind seeing ideas from the Dream Resort (mine) find new life here, especially while I'm on the brief re-working and hiatus. Admittedly, my Tomorrowland is more of a Future World at the moment and my Discoveryland is less like Discovery Bay and more like a Jules Verne-inspired Tomorrowland 2055. Thank you for providing due credit. ;) My biggest pet peeve is when ideas magically appear in other threads without credit or permission lol. I've never had an issue with you in that regard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom