News Disneyland Magic Key Program

el_super

The thing is, they Always increase the prices when there is a big new attraction. People seldom complain. Nobody complained at the jump in AP prices when Galaxy's Edge opened, because there was reason behind the increase.

Yeah and I have been wondering for some time now whether they justified the expense of Galaxy's Edge, knowing that they were going to have to reboot the AP program. That kind of spending hadn't been justified in Disneyland for a LONG time and it's placement in Disneyland was an odd choice from a financial perspective.

This is a money grab, pure and simple.

Maybe? At the end of the day everything they do is to maximize revenue. It's a capitalist society and until money is eliminated, what can you really do?

On the other hand though, we've all seen first hand how miserable the parks have been in the last two decades. Long lines for parking, security, main entrance. We've seen all the mitigation strategies to handle long attraction lines like Fastpass and MaxPass. They actually have spent a small fortune trying to improve the park experience, and the last round of expansion projects in Disneyland (Project Sparkle? Stardust? I don't remember) was a pretty good indication that they were spending money with no other financial incentive than to keep people in the park comfortable.

We can take the cynical approach and say that they are only spending money on expansion projects to secure future revenue and encourage repeat visits, but there is an underlying truth to all this: that people need to be happy with the product to return, and people were getting constantly fed up with the consequences of the crowding. Some of us were so tired of it, we already self-imposed fewer trips to the park, before the price increases came.

I will fully admin too I was part of the problem. I was one of those people who came for just a few hours on a weeknight to hangout, and I stopped when it got too crowded and too busy to do any of the things I enjoyed. When I was younger a day at Disneyland was just that: a whole day at Disneyland.

I'm pretty sure that I can transition back to planning full day trips to Disneyland a couple times a year, and still probably spending about the same on park hopper tickets (ok well probably not park hopper tickets) as I would have on a pass. It does mean changing strategy a bit, but Disneyland is still there and still available to me.

el_super

I’m happy others enjoy it. I found it to be quiet and dull. I don’t think I heard any of the classic Star Wars soundtrack at all throughout the entire area. Didn’t see one character either.

I have really really grown to apprciate the lack of area music in Galaxy's Edge. There are a couple of places that actually play some really weird "alien" music, but the area outside of the outpost reminds me a lot of the old Big Thunder Trail and the backside of Hungry Bear. The park desparetely needs more of those quiet spaces to decompress.

The only thing really lacking that would make that area great, is the tree growth. Hopefully that will come in time.

Disstevefan1

transition back to planning full day trips to Disneyland a couple times a year, and still probably spending about the same on park hopper tickets (ok well probably not park hopper tickets) as I would have on a pass.
Exactly what the mouse wants, less people in the park spending the same, or more money and folks will happily do it.

Up next, WDW APs..

CaptinEO

There is a whole generation of kids/families that want to see Kylo Ren, Rey, etc. But they really just should throw the rules out the window and make it all SW character inclusive.
I think you are greatly overstating the popularity of the newer films.

CaptinEO

As a big SW nerd, I feel incredibly immersed when I walk around. So much that I get overwhelmed trying to take it all in. But get that the experience isn't the same for everyone. And I've yet to experience either attraction.
I'm glad you love it. As a huge fan of the original films I felt let down. Rise is an awesome ride but the rest of the land I feel is part of the way to greatness but not quite there. It's like they stopped a construction project when they were only 70% done. I was super excited for the land. Once I built my droid and saw a few of the shops I felt the space it took up wasn't worthwhile.

CaptinEO

I’m happy others enjoy it. I found it to be quiet and dull. I don’t think I heard any of the classic Star Wars soundtrack at all throughout the entire area. Didn’t see one character either.

I’m sure it’s not as bad as Avengers Campus, but I’d argue Cars Land is the most immersive contemporary land of the three. Maybe even Buena Vista Street, too.
If current WDI built Cars Land they would take out the Cars characters so you could "be your own car". And instead of route 66 it would be "highway 55", a brand new land so you can live your Cars Adventure in the Cars universe.

el_super

I've seen some more suggestions for possible replacements floated around, and I know most are rumors right now, but just in case it might be fun to see which one ends up the closest:

• Loyalty Card Program (buy 5 get one free)
  • DVC Style Points Program (buy points to exchange for admission)
  • Straight Discount Program (10-20% off regular admission prices)
  • Capped Entries (pre-pay for 12 or 24 entries at a time)
  • Timed Entry Restrictions (entry after 4pm only)
  • Lottery System (Disney tells you when you can go)
  • Legacy Program: The old AP but just most expensive.

No fewer than an hour and a half to go (seriously Disney.. just pick a time to announce it).

CaptinEO

Despite what many speculated, Disney has been doing well with full priced tickets. I don't see a program being anything significant in terms of discounts. Most likely a loyalty program to encourage people to visit even more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is bringing me back to the year 2000 when all the talk was how Paul Pressler and his cheapness was going to bring down the parks for the next 30 years. And yes, he did some damage, DCA 1.0 being the biggest culprit. He also got fired a few years later when people were not showing up to said park. In other words, these things eventually work themselves out.

Sure PP is gone.. but his scars on the resort are still there and the current park management has to work around most of them. The point about lasting impact still rings true. I mean, Disney has basically rebuilt major portions of DCA over 4 phases now... and is still burdened by DCA v1 bones. CalOSHA is all over attraction operation now because of oversight that started with accidents under the PP/Harris era.

Things like a M&G or fireworks show come and go like the seasons... but many things can't come back, or become scars to face until you gut the whole place.

SoCalDisneyLover

Despite what many speculated, Disney has been doing well with full priced tickets. I don't see a program being anything significant in terms of discounts. Most likely a loyalty program to encourage people to visit even more.
Disney must be confident that this is not just simply pent up demand to visit a park that was completely shuttered for almost 14 months.

SplashGhost

Pent up demand is how Disney has gotten away with the high prices for so long. If the pent up demand was lasting the way they wanted it too, they wouldn't have introduced the SoCal Discount ticket and whatever Magic Key ends up being so soon.

SoCalDisneyLover

I've seen some more suggestions for possible replacements floated around, and I know most are rumors right now, but just in case it might be fun to see which one ends up the closest:

• Loyalty Card Program (buy 5 get one free)
  • DVC Style Points Program (buy points to exchange for admission)
  • Straight Discount Program (10-20% off regular admission prices)
  • Capped Entries (pre-pay for 12 or 24 entries at a time)
  • Timed Entry Restrictions (entry after 4pm only)
  • Lottery System (Disney tells you when you can go)
  • Legacy Program: The old AP but just most expensive.

No fewer than an hour and a half to go (seriously Disney.. just pick a time to announce it).
I'm going with Capped Entries, based upon the rumors I've heard. But perhaps with the added restriction of having a certain # each month, and if you fail to use, they do not carry over. Meaning if you get the 12 visit pass, you can't wait and visit 6 times in November and 6 times in December.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's what has come Mike's way -

"Dream Key – $1399
The Dream Key is the highest tier and the only tier that includes parking. In addition, the Dream Key will include 6 reservations at a time, booked 90 days in advance. There will be 20% off of merchandise in this tier and 15% off select food and beverages. There will be no block out dates for the Dream Key, but reservations may be unavailable based on crowds and reservations are required for entry.

Believe Key – $949
The Believe Key is the second-highest tier and includes 50% off of theme park parking. The Believe Key will include 10% off of merchandise and 10% off of select food and beverages. The Believe Key will include 6 reservations at a time. There will be blockout dates on some days of the year.

Enchant Key – $699
The Enchant Key is the second-lowest tier and includes up to four theme park reservations at a time. The Enchant Key will include 10% off of food, beverages, and merchandise. There will be more blockouts than the Believe Key.

Imagine Key – $399
The Imagine Key is the lowest tier pass and will allow Magic Key holders to hold up to 2 theme park reservations at a time. Just like the Enchnant and Imagine Keys, the Imagine Key will include 10% discounts.

All tiers will be required to make theme park reservations, which can be made up to 90 days in advance."

SplashGhost

"Dream Key – $1399
The Dream Key is the highest tier and the only tier that includes parking. In addition, the Dream Key will include 6 reservations at a time, booked 90 days in advance. There will be 20% off of merchandise in this tier and 15% off select food and beverages. There will be no block out dates for the Dream Key, but reservations may be unavailable based on crowds and reservations are required for entry.

Believe Key – $949
The Believe Key is the second-highest tier and includes 50% off of theme park parking. The Believe Key will include 10% off of merchandise and 10% off of select food and beverages. The Believe Key will include 6 reservations at a time. There will be blockout dates on some days of the year.

Enchant Key – $699
The Enchant Key is the second-lowest tier and includes up to four theme park reservations at a time. The Enchant Key will include 10% off of food, beverages, and merchandise. There will be more blockouts than the Believe Key.

Imagine Key – $399
The Imagine Key is the lowest tier pass and will allow Magic Key holders to hold up to 2 theme park reservations at a time. Just like the Enchnant and Imagine Keys, the Imagine Key will include 10% discounts.

All tiers will be required to make theme park reservations, which can be made up to 90 days in advance."

Outside of needing reservations, this is nowhere near as bad as we imagined.

CaptinEO

Sure PP is gone.. but his scars on the resort are still there and the current park management has to work around most of them. The point about lasting impact still rings true. I mean, Disney has basically rebuilt major portions of DCA over 4 phases now... and is still burdened by DCA v1 bones. CalOSHA is all over attraction operation now because of oversight that started with accidents under the PP/Harris era.

Things like a M&G or fireworks show come and go like the seasons... but many things can't come back, or become scars to face until you gut the whole place.
Who ran Disney World in the 90s?

What happened to:

Mr Toad
Horizons
20k Leagues Under The Sea
Journey Into Imagination

Then in the 2000s Epcot got even more gutted. That's the biggest travesty. I'm worried with Splash's replacement we might get something just as bad as what happened in this era.

el_super

Pent up demand is how Disney has gotten away with the high prices for so long. If the pent up demand was lasting the way they wanted it too, they wouldn't have introduced the SoCal Discount ticket and whatever Magic Key ends up being so soon.

By not re-introducing the same level of APs with all-access admission, they can generate more of that pent up demand as people who paid for full price tickets, don't return for 12 or 14 months. SoCal discounts may be a cheap way to boost attendance, but they are still not as cheap as Annual Passes, and far more surgical in their precision than a year long discount.

SoCalDisneyLover

"Dream Key – $1399

Believe Key – $949

Enchant Key – $699

Imagine Key – $399

So no limit on # of visits? Just a limit on # of reservations that can be held at any one time?

If that's the case, I'm relieved beyond belief.

CaptinEO

"Dream Key – $1399

Believe Key – $949

Enchant Key – $699

Imagine Key – $399

No way will it be this cheap and have that many options.

Stevek

"Dream Key – $1399

Believe Key – $949

Enchant Key – $699

Imagine Key – $399

This ain't remotely bad. The big key to all of this is the reservation system and how will Disney manage i.e. what are the attendance caps. Parking will still be a killer for anyone below the Dream Key. The other big question will be if monthly payments will be available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom