Disneyland here we come!!!!!

Californian Elitist

So I just spent the past 25 minutes watching the one in DL on YouTube. No explanation other than that I am bored.

What was different:
1. Snake scene at beginning with Ka and Jungle Book Characters instead of with Lion King Animals
2.Extensive Dumbo scene in middle. WDW features more films. Although I happened to like the whole Dumbo thing.
3. Pinnochio scene
4. Missing Jafar scene (WHY?!) replaced with less spectacular Ursula scene.
5. No mountain
What was the same:
1. Music
2. Finale
3. Dragon scene (not lizard, they don't do that tongue thing) except for the fact that DL's dragon looks more like the one in the movie.
4. Story
5. Most of water effects and shots

It was so similar.

I guess it really depends on how important it is to you to watch it. On my last trip to DL, I was 6 weeks away from another trip to WDW when I could see it in my seat and in an amphitheater verses standing around an island. I had better things to do in DL, especially since Pirates was so much better, and since they had rides like Mr. Toad that I can't ride in WDW. I think the one in DL is an okay attempt at trying to capture the spectacular magic that the one in WDW brings you given their lack of resources as far as space.

Also, the one in WDW is about 3 minutes longer.

On my next trip to DL in June, I will be 6 weeks away from a WDW trip. Therefore, certain rides, like Fantasmic! Splash Mountain, and Soarin' I will be skipping because I will have 2 weeks to do them in WDW. But it all depends on when your next WDW trip is and how important the show is to you.

Although Splash Mountain...crap in DL compared to WDW. Pirates is much better in DL though.

You still think it's similar after watching it? I think they're so different.

No Kaa
No Pinocchio
No Columbia
No Mark Twain
Vastly different dragon
No Peter Pan
Dumbo part
Used to be no Flotsam and no Jetsam

That's a lot of no's...

StarWarsGirl

Yes, but I've seen the Florida version enough times on the Internet to remember the show.
Ah, the internet. Where we all watch Fantasmic, lol. I still like the one in WDW better, but having spent so much of my life in WDW, I will always put my loyalty there. There's no way I'm paying $60 for a seat when I can see a similar show with a free seat several weeks later. I'd rather be on rides; I rarely even watch Fireworks at WDW.

Californian Elitist

Ah, the internet. Where we all watch Fantasmic, lol. I still like the one in WDW better, but having spent so much of my life in WDW, I will always put my loyalty there. There's no way I'm paying $60 for a seat when I can see a similar show with a free seat several weeks later. I'd rather be on rides; I rarely even watch Fireworks at WDW.

Yep, lol.

I'm loyal to Disneyland, but I'm still planning on going to Florida. It doesnt help that I worked there. I like our Fantasmic! much better.

StarWarsGirl

You still think it's similar after watching it? I think they're so different.

No Kaa
No Pinocchio
No Columbia
No Mark Twain
Vastly different dragon
No Peter Pan
Dumbo part
Used to be no Flotsam and no Jetsam

That's a lot of no's...

We don't have Kaa, we have a Lion King Scene and Jafar as a snake later instead of Ursula. Ursula was rather boring. I understand there used to be a full version of her.
No, we have different movie scenes, including Beauty and the Beast
We have a River Boat at the end too.
Columbia?
Yes, different, but basically the same scene. I like our dragon better.
We have Pocahontas on a mountain instead of Peter Pan, which I like better. Peter Pan was too short and sort of hard to see.

We got it second, so they did some major improving by the time it came to WDW. Our layout doesn't allow for it over at Tom Sawyer's Island. Plus, when you're there, the whole setting is so brilliant. And standing is not an option. Anymore. They used to have standing room only, but they replaced it with additional seating. It takes a while to load the theater, but it's worth it. We usually see it once per trip and get there 45 minutes before showtime. Essentially, the story is the same, but the effects at WDW are better.

Californian Elitist

We don't have Kaa, we have a Lion King Scene and Jafar as a snake later instead of Ursula. Ursula was rather boring. I understand there used to be a full version of her.
No, we have different movie scenes, including Beauty and the Beast
We have a River Boat at the end too.
Columbia?
We have Pocahontas on a mountain instead of Peter Pan, which I like better. Peter Pan was too short and sort of hard to see.

We got it second, so they did some major improving by the time it came to WDW. Our layout doesn't allow for it over at Tom Sawyer's Island. Plus, when you're there, the whole setting is so brilliant. And standing is not an option. Anymore. They used to have standing room only, but they replaced it with additional seating. It takes a while to load the theater, but it's worth it. We usually see it once per trip and get there 45 minutes before showtime. Essentially, the story is the same, but the effects at WDW are better.

Ok, you HAVE to see the DL version, because some of the things you're saying don't make sense.

Florida's Fantasmic! hasn't been updated in years. Ours has been updated multiple times. Saying that, our effects are better.

Jafar as a snake barely moves, if he moves at all.

Although Florida's came second, it definitely wasn't improved. Pocahontas, for example, took Pan's place and it's a poor replacement. There are way too many villains in the show, and all they do is pop up in mist. That doesn't make sense to me.

The princess section is better at DL, too. The choreography is more impressive. Turns, lifts... Better.

The Sailing Ship Columbia is a bonus to DL's show, and the Mark Twain absolutely trounces Steamboat Willie in Florida.

Our dragon beats the "dragon on a stick", as many WDW vets like to call it. Bigger and more impressive.

Our setting really can't be beat. The show comes to life, out of nowhere really, and it's almost unexpected. I haven't seen it, but I bet the stadium in Florida would feel less authentic to me. The show coming out of nowhere on the Rivers of America makes our Fantasmic! so much more different, original, and I hate this word with a passion, but more "magical".

StarWarsGirl

Yep, lol.

I'm loyal to Disneyland, but I'm still planning on going to Florida. It doesnt help that I worked there. I like our Fantasmic! much better.
You'd have to actually see the one in WDW to get the full effect. It's great. Go to Florida! But beware, it's huge. It's not like Disneyland. For one thing, Big Thunder Mountain is close to Splash Mountain and farther away from Haunted Mansion. Pirates is in Adventureland, seeing as how there is no New Orleans Square. We have a really cool 3D show in Fantasyland, which you may have seen on Youtube, called Mickey's Philhar Magic, that's the best. Tomorrowland is most different. Space Mountain is more similar to your Matterhorn. Then we have Carousel of Progress, Stitch's Great Escape, Astro Orbiter, Indy Speedway (not as good as Autopia, though easier to pronounce), Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Oh, we also have Captain EO, Star Tours, and Nemo. Nemo is a dark ride located in Epcot. Captain EO is also in Epcot. Star Tours is in Hollywood Studios. California Adventure serves to confuse me because that park contains at least one ride from each of our four parks. Tower of Terror is in Hollywood Studios, along with Muppets and Toy Story Mania, Under the Sea is in Fantasyland (which makes more sense) It's Tough to be a Bug is in Animal Kingdom, and Soarin' [Over California] is in Epcot. Needless to say, there's more walking involved, and it's about a 20 minute bus ride from Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom. WDW is nearly twice the size of Manhatten, so be prepared.

Plan to go after 2014. Our Fantasyland has been expanded and should be completely open by then (which is why our Toontown is now missing) and we will have a new roller coaster based on Snow White by that time. Since you're from California, don't go during the summer. You will discover the true meaning of heat and humidity if you do.

I actually want to work at WDW. I'm planning on doing the college program and continuing with it after graduation. I'll be in DL in June, though. I will forever be a WDW loyalist.

StarWarsGirl

Ok, you HAVE to see the DL version, because some of the things you're saying don't make sense.

Florida's Fantasmic! hasn't been updated in years. Ours has been updated multiple times. Saying that, our effects are better.

Jafar as a snake barely moves, if he moves at all.

Although Florida's came second, it definitely wasn't improved. Pocahontas, for example, took Pan's place and it's a poor replacement. There are way too many villains in the show, and all they do is pop up in mist. That doesn't make sense to me.

The princess section is better at DL, too. The choreography is more impressive. Turns, lifts... Better.

The Sailing Ship Columbia is a bonus to DL's show, and the Mark Twain absolutely trounces Steamboat Willie in Florida.

Our dragon beats the "dragon on a stick", as many WDW vets like to call it. Bigger and more impressive.

Our setting really can't be beat. The show comes to life, out of nowhere really, and it's almost unexpected. I haven't seen it, but I bet the stadium in Florida would feel less authentic to me. The show coming out of nowhere on the Rivers of America makes our Fantasmic! so much more different, original, and I hate this word with a passion, but more "magical".
It's hard to see the choreography on the WDW videos because the boats move around, but they do dance. Jafar moves, it just depends on the performance. My only use for Peter Pan in Tinker Belle, so...I really don't care for him. That's one Disney movie I can take or leave. I think you're missing some of the effects. Like soldiers being shot down and falling from the mountain. I like Pocahontas better.

I really just can't see the DL one. For one, I've only got 5 days there. Not a ton of time. And I'm only 5 ft. It's REALLY tough to see when you're that short. And I don't feel like standing around for it, especially in a huge mass of people. Like I said, I rarely even watch fireworks.

What about the villains doesn't make sense? To me, the original didn't have enough villains. The whole point was that they were taking over. The Evil Queen, Maleficent, and Jafar all appear, as well as Radcliffe.

We are probably due for a refurb, although we've gotten some upgrades. With Fantasyland and Test Track being upgraded, they probably are just waiting for a better time to pump some money into it. Fantasyland just doubled in size, which was desperately needed.

Californian Elitist

It's hard to see the choreography on the WDW videos because the boats move around, but they do dance. Jafar moves, it just depends on the performance. My only use for Peter Pan in Tinker Belle, so...I really don't care for him. That's one Disney movie I can take or leave. I think you're missing some of the effects. Like soldiers being shot down and falling from the mountain. I like Pocahontas better.

I really just can't see the DL one. For one, I've only got 5 days there. Not a ton of time. And I'm only 5 ft. It's REALLY tough to see when you're that short. And I don't feel like standing around for it, especially in a huge mass of people. Like I said, I rarely even watch fireworks.

What about the villains doesn't make sense? To me, the original didn't have enough villains. The whole point was that they were taking over. The Evil Queen, Maleficent, and Jafar all appear, as well as Radcliffe.

We are probably due for a refurb, although we've gotten some upgrades. With Fantasyland and Test Track being upgraded, they probably are just waiting for a better time to pump some money into it. Fantasyland just doubled in size, which was desperately needed.

The princes don't lift and pick up their princess in Florida. That's what I'm referring to.

Pan, Hook, Smee, Wendy and pirates coming in on a big ship just absolutely squashes Pocahontas and people digging in rocks, I'm sorry. There's really no comparison there. That section of the show could have been so much better. Why they went with Pocahontas, out of all characters, I don't know.

The villains part in Florida makes no sense to me because they don't appear again. Villains here, villains there in mist. With Disneyland, each villain represented in the show gets enough show time (not so much Ursula, now). The Evil Queen, Maleficent, Chernabog... In Florida they pop up, leave, except Jafar, the Evil Queen and Maleficent, then the next time we see them appear again, they're dying. It's just odd to me.

I think the time has come and gone plenty of times. They can do it now, they just don't want to.

Cosmic Commando

C'mon. Now you're trollin'! You can say that the dragon is good enough or that it doesn't make that much of a difference (I think it does), but to say that you like the WDW one better?!?! It's a head on a stick with sparkly wings and a roman candle in its mouth. It looks like a bat; there's no body. The DL one is a 45ft tall full-body animatronic that rises up out of the ground that actually shoots fire. And it looks like Maleficent.

I will add though that I don't think you necessarily need to line up hours before. I snuck in at the last minute both times I've seen Fantasmic. I was at the back of the front-most viewing area. Just walk around until you see a little gap next to the rope and sneak in. I had to look between people, but I still got to see everything.

StarWarsGirl

C'mon. Now you're trollin'! You can say that the dragon is good enough or that it doesn't make that much of a difference (I think it does), but to say that you like the WDW one better?!?! It's a head on a stick with sparkly wings and a roman candle in its mouth. It looks like a bat; there's no body. The DL one is a 45ft tall full-body animatronic that rises up out of the ground that actually shoots fire. And it looks like Maleficent.

I will add though that I don't think you necessarily need to line up hours before. I snuck in at the last minute both times I've seen Fantasmic. I was at the back of the front-most viewing area. Just walk around until you see a little gap next to the rope and sneak in. I had to look between people, but I still got to see everything.
I will admit that the DL version does look like Maleficent, and that is very cool. However, I still think the one in WDW is better and there will be no convincing me otherwise. WDW loyalist. Although Disneyland Park is leaps and bounds better than MK.

Maybe not hours before but 45 minutes to 1 hour before. Like I said, I'm only 5 ft. It would be basically impossible to see from the back. I guess I'm also spoiled by having a near perfect view of Fantasmic in WDW on a regular basis.

StarWarsGirl

The princes don't lift and pick up their princess in Florida. That's what I'm referring to.

Pan, Hook, Smee, Wendy and pirates coming in on a big ship just absolutely squashes Pocahontas and people digging in rocks, I'm sorry. There's really no comparison there. That section of the show could have been so much better. Why they went with Pocahontas, out of all characters, I don't know.

The villains part in Florida makes no sense to me because they don't appear again. Villains here, villains there in mist. With Disneyland, each villain represented in the show gets enough show time (not so much Ursula, now). The Evil Queen, Maleficent, Chernabog... In Florida they pop up, leave, except Jafar, the Evil Queen and Maleficent, then the next time we see them appear again, they're dying. It's just odd to me.

I think the time has come and gone plenty of times. They can do it now, they just don't want to.
...Yeah they do. I have personally seen it and can testify to this.

They went with Pocahontas because this was 98 and she was newer. Just like they replaced Jungle Book with Lion King (which is far and away a better movie). Youtube just doesn't catch everything going on in that sequence. It's longer, for one. But then again, I really am not a fan of Peter Pan. I like Tinker Belle, but I can take or leave that movie. Oh, and Captain Hook. He's a good villain.

But you haven't actually seen the one in WDW in person. I've seen bits and pieces of the one in DL. So...

Californian Elitist

...Yeah they do. I have personally seen it and can testify to this.

They went with Pocahontas because this was 98 and she was newer. Just like they replaced Jungle Book with Lion King (which is far and away a better movie). Youtube just doesn't catch everything going on in that sequence. It's longer, for one. But then again, I really am not a fan of Peter Pan. I like Tinker Belle, but I can take or leave that movie. Oh, and Captain Hook. He's a good villain.

But you haven't actually seen the one in WDW in person. I've seen bits and pieces of the one in DL. So...

Okay, well since neither of us have seen the shows in person (bits don't count), how about we pass judgement until then? Seems fair.

Californian Elitist

I will admit that the DL version does look like Maleficent, and that is very cool. However, I still think the one in WDW is better and there will be no convincing me otherwise. WDW loyalist.

So you're saying you will always think Florida's dragon is better because you like WDW as a whole more than the DLR? I love Disneyland but I would be able to admit of something was done better in Florida or the other Disney parks.

Would you mind giving us specific reasons why you like Florida's dragon better?

StarWarsGirl

So you're saying you will always think Florida's dragon is better because you like WDW as a whole more than the DLR? I love Disneyland but I would be able to admit of something was done better in Florida or the other Disney parks.

Would you mind giving us specific reasons why you like Florida's dragon better?
While I like Disneyland's dragon, I like the uniqueness of the Florida dragon. Plus, I believe that it is taller, but I could be wrong. I think it puts an imaginative spin on it. Plus, it's the one I grew up with, so I'm a bit partial to it. Oh, the other thing that is more convenient at WDW with Fantasmic times is showtimes. There's usually two shows in the summer, one at 8:30 or 9 and one at 10 or 10:30. Since the park usually closes at 10, this gives me more time to ride stuff before going over and having a seat. It also makes the lines shorter, so I can ride Tower of Terror, Star Tours, and Rock n' Rollercoaster with minimal waits. Plus, the later show usually is not as crowded for some reason, whereas the early show will generally fill up to capacity. Speaking of capacity, my guess would be that more people can see the WDW one. Our amphitheater seats over 8,000 people. No way can that many people fit around Tom Sawyer Island. Also, ours costs less (according to Wikipedia, but it should be pretty accurate) per showing. About $30,000 less. I'm curious as to why that is, especially since the WDW version is 5 minutes longer. But your Fantasmic probably plays more just because of the weather. FL frequently gets thunderstorms and windy conditions, which can cancel the show. We've had this happen more than once. They give us an abbreviated version with just the fireworks. Which is usually disappointing. We check the weather, and if we think it will get cancelled, we'll go hit Toy Story Mania instead. Oh, and you made a point about Pocohontas. I've seen the entire Pan sequence in person, and I personally thought that the mountain with the stunts, including falling off of it, was far and away better and makes more sense with the theming of the park, which is movies (we have 2 stunts shows in that park). I think as far as villains, they'd had several more movies come out since they made the one in DL, and wanted to showcase those movies and villains, such as Mulan (brand new when we got our Fantasmic), Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lion King, Pocahontas, & Aladdin.

I will admit that Disneyland has an edge on certain areas (other than Fantasmic). Disneyland Park is much better than its counterpart, the Magic Kingdom. Smaller, but there's more to do. I like our castle better. It's taller and more spectacular. I like our Splash Mountain better. There anamatronics and scenes overall are better, plus the side-by-side seating is more efficient. Big Thunder is essentially the same in both, as is Soarin' (except for the queue area, in which case DL is better), Toy Story Mania (except for the queue, which is better in WDW, but the lines run much shorter in DL) Star Tours, Muppets, It's Tough to be a Bug, and Captain EO. Even though the whole "The Stretching room is an elevator" thing at Haunted Mansion is cool (ours is not an elevator, but yours is) I like ours better because waits run shorter midday and it's a longer ride. Pirates is 50% longer at DL, making it far superior. The WDW version just hasn't been the same ever since. I think you could flip a coin on Tower of Terror, but I like WDW better because the drop sequences are random whereas they are not in DL. Also, lines are shorter in WDW. Jungle Cruise is better in WDW. DL winds you around upstairs and is missing a tunnel. Though one of the cast members in DL made up my favorite joke: "There is the second most feared animal in all the jungle! The African male bull elephant! And there is the most feared: his mother-in-law! She will come over to your house and nag, and nag, and nag..." That must have been his personal joke, but I lost it when I heard it. There's no comparing the two Space Mountains. They are entirely different rides in my opinion. There's nothing similar about them. When we had Toontown, which we no longer do; it's now called Storybook Circus and is a part of Fantasyland, DL was much better. More attention to detail. I like New Orleans Square better than Liberty Square, especially since there is no Hall of Presidents. Innoventions is in Epcot and I never bother with it, so I didn't see the point in going to the one in DL. Our Pooh is better. Can't really explain it; it just is. Longer lines too usually. Small World is better in DL. I like the incorporation of Disney characters. I thought that was very cool. Tea cups, imo, spins faster at WDW and has bigger cups. Snow White was closed when I went last time, so I have to go this time, especially since we no longer have it at WDW :( But we're getting a new Snow White Roller Coaster instead :D. Astro Orbiter makes me motion sick at WDW, but is better there from an objective point of view because it's on top of the people mover (yes, we still have that). You take an elevator to get to it, which increases loading time, but makes it cool. Fireworks are better at WDW, though I have not seen World of Color (yet) because it was not out when I was there in 2009. They had the water drained and were putting it in. At Disney World, the fireworks are spaced out more, so they fill the entire sky whereas DL is basically above the castle. And when they brought DL fireworks to WDW a few years ago just for the summer, boy they were great. They adjusted the show to spread out the fireworks. But they added Dumbo to DL fireworks since I've been there (who, if you snooped my profile you would know, is my favorite WDW character). Oh, and I adored Aladdin. By far the best stage show ever at a Disney park. We have Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Finding Nemo, and none are as good as Aladdin.

But overall, there's more to do at WDW. I was satisfied with six days at DL. I spend two weeks at WDW in the summer, one in the winter, and still don't see everything. We have four theme parks, two water parks, and an indoor interactive theme park at Downtown Disney. Oh, and Downtown Disney is about 3 times the size of the one in DL. And it got a full reburb and redoing not too long ago. It looks great. But I'm excited to go back in June since I haven't seen CAA since Carmagedon. When I went, there was still Maliboomer. Which was awesome btw and I'm mad that they took it out. It made you heart go into your throat, but still. And the redone entrance. Which from the pictures, is a copycat of the entrance to Hollywood Studios. But it looks better, so it's fine in my book.

GiveMeTheMusic

I will admit that Disneyland has an edge on certain areas (other than Fantasmic).

Well I never thought I'd see the day. You're the first person I've ever come across who adamantly prefers WDW's Fantasmic. On your next visit, don't cheat yourself out of seeing our version in person. You can sit if you watch all the way at the front, which can easily be done for the second show without a long wait (there's almost always a second show).

I just cannot fathom why you would purposely NOT see it, even with 5 days in DL (which is more than enough time). Next time you're here, do yourself a favor and see it - at least that way we can take your opinion seriously.

I have seen both - WDW and DL- live, in person. There's no comparison, and I've never met anyone who's seen both who thinks otherwise. You very well may like WDW's better even after you see it, but to be completely close-minded for no reason at all? It's unbecoming.

sweetpee_1993

You'd have to actually see the one in WDW to get the full effect. It's great.

I've been to WDW more times than I can count. I grew up in Orlando & moved away in my later teens. My aunt raved and raved about Fantasmic! at WDW (after I'd moved away and started my own family) so we went to see it during our February 2006 family trip. I guess everyone has their opinions and, thankfully, there's something for everyone at WDW. Personally I wasn't wow'd in the least. In fact, when it got over I was not at all sure what the whole point to any of it was sitting or not sitting. I didn't get the story at all. Afterwards I wished I'd spent my time doing attractions instead. We've not been back to see it since. My brother took his girls to see it finally last summer. He wasn't overly wow'd either. Not sure why he just said he's glad he did it but wouldn't likely do it again. We're both kind of confused as to what our aunt thinks is so wonderful about it. I guess we don't get it like others do. Maybe it's one of those things you either love it or hate it, get it or don't. (?)

When we do finally make it out west to Disneyland I'd like to say we'll take the time to see Fantasmic! but, honestly, we were so unimpressed at WDW I don't know that we'd do it. Maybe. Not sure. Perhaps it'd be a good thing to give it a second chance in a different incarnation. ;)

sweetpee_1993

Our amphitheater seats over 8,000 people. No way can that many people fit around Tom Sawyer Island.

Yikes! That was another not-so-good memory...the sea of humanity as we tried to exit. If Disneyland's has half the people or less I'm feelin' THAT. From extensive reading I hear the California parks do a much better job with crowd control. Very good thing for those of us who find really big crowds a huge detractor overall. That's kinda why we've laid-off visiting WDW. Tired of fighting the masses. DL during the week during traditionally slow periods (like what Septembers were at WDW once were) could also be a good option for us. ;)

Californian Elitist

While I like Disneyland's dragon, I like the uniqueness of the Florida dragon. Plus, I believe that it is taller, but I could be wrong. I think it puts an imaginative spin on it. Plus, it's the one I grew up with, so I'm a bit partial to it. Oh, the other thing that is more convenient at WDW with Fantasmic times is showtimes. There's usually two shows in the summer, one at 8:30 or 9 and one at 10 or 10:30. Since the park usually closes at 10, this gives me more time to ride stuff before going over and having a seat. It also makes the lines shorter, so I can ride Tower of Terror, Star Tours, and Rock n' Rollercoaster with minimal waits. Plus, the later show usually is not as crowded for some reason, whereas the early show will generally fill up to capacity. Speaking of capacity, my guess would be that more people can see the WDW one. Our amphitheater seats over 8,000 people. No way can that many people fit around Tom Sawyer Island. Also, ours costs less (according to Wikipedia, but it should be pretty accurate) per showing. About $30,000 less. I'm curious as to why that is, especially since the WDW version is 5 minutes longer. But your Fantasmic probably plays more just because of the weather. FL frequently gets thunderstorms and windy conditions, which can cancel the show. We've had this happen more than once. They give us an abbreviated version with just the fireworks. Which is usually disappointing. We check the weather, and if we think it will get cancelled, we'll go hit Toy Story Mania instead. Oh, and you made a point about Pocohontas. I've seen the entire Pan sequence in person, and I personally thought that the mountain with the stunts, including falling off of it, was far and away better and makes more sense with the theming of the park, which is movies (we have 2 stunts shows in that park). I think as far as villains, they'd had several more movies come out since they made the one in DL, and wanted to showcase those movies and villains, such as Mulan (brand new when we got our Fantasmic), Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lion King, Pocahontas, & Aladdin.

I will admit that Disneyland has an edge on certain areas (other than Fantasmic). Disneyland Park is much better than its counterpart, the Magic Kingdom. Smaller, but there's more to do. I like our castle better. It's taller and more spectacular. I like our Splash Mountain better. There anamatronics and scenes overall are better, plus the side-by-side seating is more efficient. Big Thunder is essentially the same in both, as is Soarin' (except for the queue area, in which case DL is better), Toy Story Mania (except for the queue, which is better in WDW, but the lines run much shorter in DL) Star Tours, Muppets, It's Tough to be a Bug, and Captain EO. Even though the whole "The Stretching room is an elevator" thing at Haunted Mansion is cool (ours is not an elevator, but yours is) I like ours better because waits run shorter midday and it's a longer ride. Pirates is 50% longer at DL, making it far superior. The WDW version just hasn't been the same ever since. I think you could flip a coin on Tower of Terror, but I like WDW better because the drop sequences are random whereas they are not in DL. Also, lines are shorter in WDW. Jungle Cruise is better in WDW. DL winds you around upstairs and is missing a tunnel. Though one of the cast members in DL made up my favorite joke: "There is the second most feared animal in all the jungle! The African male bull elephant! And there is the most feared: his mother-in-law! She will come over to your house and nag, and nag, and nag..." That must have been his personal joke, but I lost it when I heard it. There's no comparing the two Space Mountains. They are entirely different rides in my opinion. There's nothing similar about them. When we had Toontown, which we no longer do; it's now called Storybook Circus and is a part of Fantasyland, DL was much better. More attention to detail. I like New Orleans Square better than Liberty Square, especially since there is no Hall of Presidents. Innoventions is in Epcot and I never bother with it, so I didn't see the point in going to the one in DL. Our Pooh is better. Can't really explain it; it just is. Longer lines too usually. Small World is better in DL. I like the incorporation of Disney characters. I thought that was very cool. Tea cups, imo, spins faster at WDW and has bigger cups. Snow White was closed when I went last time, so I have to go this time, especially since we no longer have it at WDW :( But we're getting a new Snow White Roller Coaster instead :D. Astro Orbiter makes me motion sick at WDW, but is better there from an objective point of view because it's on top of the people mover (yes, we still have that). You take an elevator to get to it, which increases loading time, but makes it cool. Fireworks are better at WDW, though I have not seen World of Color (yet) because it was not out when I was there in 2009. They had the water drained and were putting it in. At Disney World, the fireworks are spaced out more, so they fill the entire sky whereas DL is basically above the castle. And when they brought DL fireworks to WDW a few years ago just for the summer, boy they were great. They adjusted the show to spread out the fireworks. But they added Dumbo to DL fireworks since I've been there (who, if you snooped my profile you would know, is my favorite WDW character). Oh, and I adored Aladdin. By far the best stage show ever at a Disney park. We have Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, and Finding Nemo, and none are as good as Aladdin.

But overall, there's more to do at WDW. I was satisfied with six days at DL. I spend two weeks at WDW in the summer, one in the winter, and still don't see everything. We have four theme parks, two water parks, and an indoor interactive theme park at Downtown Disney. Oh, and Downtown Disney is about 3 times the size of the one in DL. And it got a full reburb and redoing not too long ago. It looks great. But I'm excited to go back in June since I haven't seen CAA since Carmagedon. When I went, there was still Maliboomer. Which was awesome btw and I'm mad that they took it out. It made you heart go into your throat, but still. And the redone entrance. Which from the pictures, is a copycat of the entrance to Hollywood Studios. But it looks better, so it's fine in my book.

There's no way Florida's dragon is taller.

If you refuse to see DL's Fantasmic!, then I won't waste my time with the inferior one in Florida. Deal?

@fractal and @TP2000 seem to believe Disneyland's Jungle Cruise is better. Guys, which do you prefer again?

I just can't see myself spending two whole weeks at Disney like that, unless it was a first visit, and even that's absurd since there are just about as many attractions at the DLR. I would go out of my mind.

TP2000

The difference in the two Fantasmic! shows comes down to technical quality for me.

At Disneyland, they've recently spent a bucket of cash and a four-year rolling refurbishment program upgrading and replacing all of the lighting, audio, video, stagecraft, and special effects.

For instance, the original 70mm film projectors from the 1990's were replaced with HD digital projectors in '09 and the original 1990's film media was transferred to digital files for use at Disneyland. The result is that Disneyland's mist screen segments of the show are sharper and clearer and far more luminous than the original and muddier filmed versions still in use at WDW.

The upgraded audio system installed at Disneyland a couple years ago is also a noticeable difference. It's like the difference between an expensive and custom-installed Bose home theater system, versus a basic RCA home theater system bought in a box at Best Buy.

When you view the shows back to back within a few days, as I enjoy doing just before or after a WDW trip, the differences are quite noticeable. After a multi-year rehab program to upgrade and plus the technology behind the show, the Disneyland version now sparkles and has a sharpness and quality that is lacking in the WDW version that still uses aging 1990's equipment and technology.

If you aren't a huge Fantasmic! fan, or it's been awhile since you've seen the WDW version, you might not care about it. But there is a noticeable difference in show quality between the two versions now playing in American parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom