Disneyland here we come!!!!!

Californian Elitist

On the topic of Downtown Disney, does anyone know what time the shops stay open in the off-season? The parks close at 8, but I'd imagine Downtown Disney will stay open later than the parks.

They usually stay open later than the parks. How late, I'm not sure, but people always hang out at Downtown Disney pretty late.

croboy82

This is something I never knew either. I think the official disney store closes 1 hour after the parks have closed but don't quote me on that haha ;)

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
What do you all think about the Disneyland Photopass CD? We have done both Photopass and Photopass+ at WDW and we have also gone without it. Are there photographers all over at DL like at WDW? If we would purchase the photopass, we would do the pre-purchase option. Just curious if you all think it is worth it at DL. Thanks!

TP2000

There are lots of Photopass CM's in both Anaheim parks. They often stand in the most picturesque areas, and there's usually three of them in Cars Land alone. Where I don't see a lot of them is on the west side of Disneyland around New Orleans Square or Adventureland. But most of the park is covered and they are at all the meet n' greets and character meals, etc.

Californian Elitist

The majority of the characters at the DLR don't have handlers, and walk freely around their themed areas. As you can guess, there aren't Photopass CMs all throught the parks, but there are enough, IMO.

The way you usually meet characters at the DLR is you spot a character walking around, form a line and get someone to take your photo.

croboy82

I used the photopass+ option while staying almost a week in Anaheim. Imo it was totally worth it.

We were a party of two so it was really nice to have many pictures of us together. It's way easier imo to ask a CM to take a picture than a total stranger.

The great thing is that you can also add pictures from the rides which we used alot! And those alone would cost way more than the photopass+.

And if you do character dining they will upload the pictures there too.

StarWarsGirl

Hello All!!!

We are officially booked for our Disneyland 2013 trip! Having a few WDW trips under our belts we are ready to experience everything Disneyland has to offer. We are going Aug 23-30 and are using our DVC points and staying at Paradise Pier Resort (The VGC were unavailable). We will be flying into John Wayne Airport (SNA) and we plan on have 4 days of tickets to Disneyland.

So I have a couple questions for any Disneyland experts out there...

1. I am assuming that the parks will be less busy during the week vs the weekend? We will arrive on a Friday, and were thinking (as hard as this may be) to wait until Monday to hit the parks. Is there a crowd calendar anywhere. We use the Undercover Tourist one for WDW and really like it.

2. Any idea of things to do on our non-Disney park days? We had thought about doing the So-Cal pass, but decided we didn't want to spend that much time driving around and would rather do some local things if possible.

3. FOOD! - We are huge dining plan fans at WDW. We are NOT doing the DL plan, as I have read a lot on it and it just doesn't seem worth it. Any recommendations on where to eat? We do have kids (DD 6 and 12), but we have done the character thing and are more interested in good food and fun atmosphere. We are looking for recommendations for both quick service and table service meals. As DVC members we get discounts at quite a few places and hope to take advantage of that as well.

4. Rental car... Is it worth having a car at DL? We always use DME and the busses while at DW so this would be a new one for us. If we don't get a rental car, what is the best way to get to/from the airport?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! We are so incredibly excited for this experience.
Well, I'm a WDW expert, but I'm familiar with Disneyland and believe I can help you out...
1. I believe that there is undercover tourist for Disneyland as well. There's also Mobile Magic if you want wait times. And yes, we have heard that the crowds are larger on weekends. We did some other stuff on weekends. San Diego Zoo was very nice on a Sunday.
2. I loved San Diego. The San Diego Zoo is an excellent zoo, and worth the trip just to see where Animal Kingdom got its inspiration. It's a longer drive, though. Adventures by Disney also has a tour to LA, which includes lunch in the price. We're doing this when we go in June. Huntington Beach is also very nice. Just go explore some local beaches. They're neat.
3. Hmm...food wasn't as good at DL, but we really enjoyed a few of them. Steakhouse 55, although pricey, was good and we plan on going back. Storytellers cafe, if I recall, was also good. We did not eat at Napa Rose, but I've heard very good things about it. Blue Bayou was very good as well. There's also dining in Downtown Disney, though we really didn't try it.
4. There is an Alamo nearby the hotels (within walking distance). We got a car to do other stuff on the weekends. You don't need it during the week as you can walk to the parks. I recommend getting one of the local shuttles to take you. We fly into LAX and use Supershuttle; I don't know any of the ones at John Wayne, but I know Supershuttle runs at multiple airports. I would look online to see about different services. They should have pricing.

Also, get a guidebook. I like this one. It was incredibly helpful not being familiar with the parks and offered a lot of helpful advice. Overviews of all the attractions, etc. We got the newer edition to help us out when we go in June. I'd also order the planning DVD from Disney while you're at it.

Hope you have fun!

StarWarsGirl

On the topic of Downtown Disney, does anyone know what time the shops stay open in the off-season? The parks close at 8, but I'd imagine Downtown Disney will stay open later than the parks.
Well, I would guess between 10 and midnight as that is typically when Downtown Disney at WDW closes during th offseason. The locals really like Downtown Disney, so it should stay open later.

StarWarsGirl

We were in Anaheim at the exact time last year and Fantasmic for example was only playing on weekend so we could have missed it if we weren't there for the weekend. World of Colour while really amazing plays daily so you can relax about that.
Good point about Fantasmic. You should be able to check beforehand when it's playing. BUT! Keep in mind that you are seeing it around Tom Sawyer's Island. It gets crowded very quickly and is standing room only. We only watched part of it when we went because except for the lack of a mountain, it was essentially the same as the WDW one. Just Peter Pan instead of Pocahontas.

Californian Elitist

Good point about Fantasmic. You should be able to check beforehand when it's playing. BUT! Keep in mind that you are seeing it around Tom Sawyer's Island. It gets crowded very quickly and is standing room only. We only watched part of it when we went because except for the lack of a mountain, it was essentially the same as the WDW one. Just Peter Pan instead of Pocahontas.

I wouldn't say they're the same. The storyline is the same but the execution is different.

StarWarsGirl

I wouldn't say they're the same. The storyline is the same but the execution is different.
Like I said, I only watched part of it. Seeing as how I was headed to WDW in August, I'd rather find me a seat for it instead of standing around watching it. I'm also REALLY short and it was hard to see.

StarWarsGirl

Which part did you catch? I can barely think of anything similar between the shows.
Really? They seemed VERY similar to me. I mainly caught the pirate ship part, but I was passing by a lot and they seemed identical to me. Maybe I'll look it up on youtube since I practically have the one in Disney World memorized. I didn't feel like standing around forever waiting for the show to start just to get a good spot.

Californian Elitist

Really? They seemed VERY similar to me. I mainly caught the pirate ship part, but I was passing by a lot and they seemed identical to me. Maybe I'll look it up on youtube since I practically have the one in Disney World memorized. I didn't feel like standing around forever waiting for the show to start just to get a good spot.

Let me think a little more... I really can't think of anything.

Waiting and standing is the only way to see it. Unless you spend 60 bucks for a chair and dessert.

StarWarsGirl

Let me think a little more... I really can't think of anything.

Waiting and standing is the only way to see it. Unless you spend 60 bucks for a chair and dessert.
So I just spent the past 25 minutes watching the one in DL on YouTube. No explanation other than that I am bored.

What was different:
1. Snake scene at beginning with Ka and Jungle Book Characters instead of with Lion King Animals
2.Extensive Dumbo scene in middle. WDW features more films. Although I happened to like the whole Dumbo thing.
3. Pinnochio scene
4. Missing Jafar scene (WHY?!) replaced with less spectacular Ursula scene.
5. No mountain
What was the same:
1. Music
2. Finale
3. Dragon scene (not lizard, they don't do that tongue thing) except for the fact that DL's dragon looks more like the one in the movie.
4. Story
5. Most of water effects and shots

It was so similar.

I guess it really depends on how important it is to you to watch it. On my last trip to DL, I was 6 weeks away from another trip to WDW when I could see it in my seat and in an amphitheater verses standing around an island. I had better things to do in DL, especially since Pirates was so much better, and since they had rides like Mr. Toad that I can't ride in WDW. I think the one in DL is an okay attempt at trying to capture the spectacular magic that the one in WDW brings you given their lack of resources as far as space.

Also, the one in WDW is about 3 minutes longer.

On my next trip to DL in June, I will be 6 weeks away from a WDW trip. Therefore, certain rides, like Fantasmic! Splash Mountain, and Soarin' I will be skipping because I will have 2 weeks to do them in WDW. But it all depends on when your next WDW trip is and how important the show is to you.

Although Splash Mountain...crap in DL compared to WDW. Pirates is much better in DL though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom