Disneyland here we come!!!!!

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
Hello All!!!

We are officially booked for our Disneyland 2013 trip! Having a few WDW trips under our belts we are ready to experience everything Disneyland has to offer. We are going Aug 23-30 and are using our DVC points and staying at Paradise Pier Resort (The VGC were unavailable). We will be flying into John Wayne Airport (SNA) and we plan on have 4 days of tickets to Disneyland.

So I have a couple questions for any Disneyland experts out there...

1. I am assuming that the parks will be less busy during the week vs the weekend? We will arrive on a Friday, and were thinking (as hard as this may be) to wait until Monday to hit the parks. Is there a crowd calendar anywhere. We use the Undercover Tourist one for WDW and really like it.

2. Any idea of things to do on our non-Disney park days? We had thought about doing the So-Cal pass, but decided we didn't want to spend that much time driving around and would rather do some local things if possible.

3. FOOD! - We are huge dining plan fans at WDW. We are NOT doing the DL plan, as I have read a lot on it and it just doesn't seem worth it. Any recommendations on where to eat? We do have kids (DD 6 and 12), but we have done the character thing and are more interested in good food and fun atmosphere. We are looking for recommendations for both quick service and table service meals. As DVC members we get discounts at quite a few places and hope to take advantage of that as well.

4. Rental car... Is it worth having a car at DL? We always use DME and the busses while at DW so this would be a new one for us. If we don't get a rental car, what is the best way to get to/from the airport?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! We are so incredibly excited for this experience.

Californian Elitist

An early welcome:)

You are correct, the weekends tend to be more crowded. During the time you're going, crowds shouldn't be too bad. Christmas is usually the time when crowds are seriously crazy (Last year I went up to the park just to buy something for my dad for Christmas and it was so crowded, they were making guests walk backstage. It was crazy.). You should be fine. I suggest you go on one day of the weekends, since you're only going to be there for four days. Fireworks and and Fantasmic! are usually Friday, Saturday and Sunday only things. If you want to play it safe, go on that Sunday, but I really believe you'll be fine going that Saturday. Touring Plans has a crowd calendar.

What kinds of things do you like to do? Are you considering going to Los Angeles, or are you planning on staying in Anaheim?

Great job in deciding NOT to go with our stupid and pointless dining plan! You've made a great decision.

My first suggestion, given your kids' ages, would be Flo's in Cars Land. Not only good food but you can't the atmosphere. Your kids would love it!

Flos-V8-Cafe-Disney-California-Adventure.jpg

Another good choice would be Hungry Bear Restaurant. Great ambiance and food. It's got a woodsy/backyard picnic/Country Bears feel.

Hungry-Bear-Restaurant-Disneyland.jpg

Rancho Del Zocalo sells decent Mexican-style food. I love the ambiance at this restaurant, too.

Rancho-del-Zocalo-Disneyland.jpg

Plaza Inn is my absolute favorite quick service restaurant at the park. It's beautiful and the best fried chicken in the park is sold there.

Plaza-Restaurant2.jpg

French Market is also a favorite. There's usually a live jazz band that performs right by the restaurant.

french-market.jpg

Carnation Cafe, also a great choice. It's a table restaurant on Main Street.

carnation-cafe1.jpg

Blue Bayou has the best setting in Disneyland. It's in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, with the setting of a Southern, backyard party in the evening. A warning, it's expensive.

bluebayou.jpg

Besides Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe, all the others are quick service spots. Let me know if you'd like some recommendations for Downtown Disney restaurants. Also, reservations can be taken up to 60 days before. 99% of the time, you don't need to call for reservations at all. Since you're a seasoned WDW vet, you might want to make reservations, just to be sure and comfortable.

I would rent a car. Maybe I'm saying that because I live in California and everyone has a car here. I believe having a car makes your vacation easier, if you're traveling to different places. Public transportation can be annoying and cabs are expensive. Feel free to ask more questions.

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
@raven24 Thank you so much for the information!!!! (Flo's looks SO cool... that is on our list for sure!!!)
We definately plan on spending some time a Downtown Disney, so any dining recommendations for there would be greatly appreciated as well.
We had been thinking about trying to catch a Angels game - but unfortunately they are on a road stretch and are actually playng in Milwaukee, which would have been a home game for us!!!! So that leaves us thinking a possible beach day? Considering Knott's or maybe the Knott's water park? I think we would want to stay in the Anaheim area and take in as much there as we can.

Californian Elitist

Your welcome! As for Downtown Disney, my personal favorites are Tortilla Jo's, Rainforest Cafe and House of Blues. I'd also suggest Earl of Sandwich, Ralph Brennan's and Naples.

I would save the money and just head to a beach. Soak City (the Knott's water park) is enjoyable, though. I've been there a couple of times and I've yet to have a bad experience.

The two closest beaches are Huntington and Newport beach. Both are really nice, parking is usually a little easier at Huntington.

Huntington:

huntington-beach-pier.jpg

Newport:

beautiful-shores-of-corona.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
For food I like: Plaza Inn, Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou, & Naples. Surfs Up Character breakfast at your resort is good too. I also like Trader Sams at Disneyland Hotel, its a fun tiki bar and if you go early children are welcome.
For things outside the park: go to the beach or take a tour of Los Angeles/Hollywood (the tour I went on stopped at both Venice and Santa Monica beaches).

Have fun, you will fall in love with Disneyland!

GiveMeTheMusic

Disneyland IS the Anaheim area. Minus the Angels or Ducks, there's nothing else to see. Knott's is just a regional amusement park, Six Flags level. I wouldn't waste time on it.

If you've never been to LA, it's worth taking a day to see Hollywood, the Getty museum, the Grove or the Americana, and other distinctly LA sights.

For food, I'd highly recommend Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's at Disneyland Hotel as well as what raven listed above. :)

Californian Elitist

Disneyland IS the Anaheim area. Minus the Angels or Ducks, there's nothing else to see. Knott's is just a regional amusement park, Six Flags level. I wouldn't waste time on it.

If you've never been to LA, it's worth taking a day to see Hollywood, the Getty museum, the Grove or the Americana, and other distinctly LA sights.

For food, I'd highly recommend Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's at Disneyland Hotel as well as what raven listed above. :)

Agreed, when I lived in Anaheim, besides Disneyland, there was nothing to do and I was incredibly bored.

How could I forget Trader Sam's? I love that place.

Cosmic Commando

So that leaves us thinking a possible beach day? Considering Knott's or maybe the Knott's water park? I think we would want to stay in the Anaheim area and take in as much there as we can.
If you're thinking beach, you could go dolphin/whale watching. I had a really good experience with a place not too far from Disneyland. http://www.dolphinsafari.com

wild01ride

Let me add my opinion...
@raven24 is absolutely an authority on DLR...however, one thing I want to say is that, if you are a WDW regular, a "busy day" at DLR is nothing like what you're used to as "busy". No matter what, you will pretty much NEVER see a 160min wait ANYWHERE (WDW Soarin' be darned), and will rarely see a 60min wait (of course, Carsland may be an exception to this).
I would absolutely use the weekend while you have it. DLR is scheduled as a locals-heavy place, and as such, the hours and entertainment are good on the weekends and weak on the weekdays (there are days where they open crazy late and close crazy early on weekdays!).
Anyhow, my background is WDW, but I have found that it's worth using as much of the weekends as you can at DLR.
As much as DLR looks small on the map, there is plenty to keep you busy for at least four days!
And whatever you do-DO NOT MISS WORLD OF COLOR!
Did I mention you need to see World of Color...AT LEAST once!

Have a great trip.

TP2000

So that leaves us thinking a possible beach day? Considering Knott's or maybe the Knott's water park? I think we would want to stay in the Anaheim area and take in as much there as we can.

Lots of great suggestions already here, but I have to step in and say... whatever you do, do NOT waste a potential "beach day" by going to Knott's or their water park when the ultimate water park is nearby; the Pacific Ocean and the beaches of Orange County.

If you have kids, a really good choice is Crystal Cove State Park, just north of Laguna Beach. Huntington Beach is a hipster surfer scene, Newport Beach is a semi-snooty old-money scene (or what passes for old money in Southern California), and Laguna Beach is an upscale artsy foodie scene. But Crystal Cove is perfect for families just looking to explore and have fun together. It's a typical state park just off Coast Highway with a gated parking lot, restrooms and a ranger station, and then a short hike down the bluffs on a paved path to the beach.

Once you get to the beach there's a small village of 1930's funky rental bungalows and a country store run by the state park. But don't even think of trying to rent one for a night, as it's a local sport in Orange County to snag all of the rentals the instant they become available online, especially for August.

crystal_cove_07_std.jpg
crystal_cove_08_std.jpg

There's a stretch of sandy beach perfect for wading and family swimming, with the main surf break offshore and some hardcore surfers who won't be in your way out there.
looking-south-towards-abalone-point-crystal-cove-state-park1.jpg

But the real star of Crystal Cove is the tide pool area to the south, with typical California tide pools full of sea creatures that kids (and adults) just love to explore. The tide pool area goes on for a few hundred yards beneath the sea cliffs there, and you'll want to consult the tidal charts for that time of year to plan your visit at lower tide. And remember, it's against California state law to remove anything permanently from a tide pool, so no souvenir hunting is allowed.
73750233.jpg
P-75-Tidepool-Detail-Point-Reyes-National-Seashore-Marin-Co-CA.jpg

There are informational displays on the tide pools and wildlife up near the parking lot and ranger station, if you want to make it educational for the kids. But what's important to remember here is that this is NOT the slick SoCal beach scene of the movies and reality TV. This is rustic and real Southern California as nature intended. The water will be cold (this isn't Florida) and you'll want to pack some snacks and drinks and towels and sturdy sandals for the tide pool exploring. But you will know for sure that you aren't in Wisconsin anymore! http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/

Crystal Cove State Park is a 30 to 45 minute drive from the Disneyland Hotel, depending on time of day and traffic.

TP2000

Before or after your visit to Crystal Cove, you could also add on a few iconic Southern California beach stops that are along Coast Highway near Laguna Beach.

Right on Coast Highway just a couple hundred yards south of the state park entrance is the famous Crystal Cove Shake Shack, where locals head for hand made milkshakes and a million dollar view of the Pacific from their little patio. Everyone loves stopping at the Shake Shack! And again, you'll know you aren't in Wisconsin when you do this.

IMG_0050.jpg

And/or if you are looking for something more substantial to eat after your beach visit, there's a fun Ruby's Autodiner on Coast Highway just south of downtown Laguna Beach. It has a menu and vibe that kids love, and their food is actually very good. http://www.rubys.com/

4.jpg

Laguna Beach is also a very nice beach town, although it's mainly known for its art galleries, swanky gourmet restaurants, and a hipster singles scene for locals on weekends. The main city beach right in downtown Laguna is generally pretty crowded and full of volleyball games and surfers and the frenzy they bring with them, especially compared to quieter Crystal Cove. The kids might be bored in the town, but it has plenty of options for meals and amenities and is just about a mile south of Crystal Cove State Park. The drive along Coast Highway through these Orange County beach towns is generally very pretty, however. You can always go to a water park, but how often will you get to see the Orange County coast? http://www.lagunabeachinfo.com/

Laguna Beach, Orange County
Heisler_Park_Laguna_Beach.jpg

croboy82

I just wanted to stress out again that you need to visit the park on a weekend day!

We were in Anaheim at the exact time last year and Fantasmic for example was only playing on weekend so we could have missed it if we weren't there for the weekend. World of Colour while really amazing plays daily so you can relax about that.

About good dininig places I can reccomend "Naples" in Downtown too. It's an italian restaurant (so you can get pizza and things like that for your children) and we really liked to sit outside as it's almost like a private garden where you can eat. :)

novawildcat18

On the topic of Downtown Disney, does anyone know what time the shops stay open in the off-season? The parks close at 8, but I'd imagine Downtown Disney will stay open later than the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom