Disneyland Half Marathon

dreamfinder

What is it about this race that makes it sell out so quickly? More local participants? A smaller field?

Well, 2011 showed just under 13k finishers, vs 22k at the 2012 WDW Half. So it would appear to be a much smaller field.

I do think that it is viewed as much more of a local race, heck more of the course seems to be on the streets of Anaheim than on property.

But the biggest reason, the Coast to Coast. You have 3 races in Jan/Feb on the east coast that people can use to qualify, but only 1 corresponding race on the west coast in Sep. Admittedly you could do a Jan/Jan or Jan/Feb coast to coast, but I think lots of people wanted to have so space inbetween the events. And the Sep race is still early enough that you can train for the WDW in Jan without getting too off kilter. I think this is easily evident by the fact it was seemingly 50% full just from pre registration at the WDW expo. (Unless that many people registered online within the first week)

dreamfinder

And my bigger shock, is that the 5k already sold out..... And of course, I hadn't registered for that yet thinking it would be open for ages.

TakeMeThere81

Well, 2011 showed just under 13k finishers, vs 22k at the 2012 WDW Half. So it would appear to be a much smaller field.

I do think that it is viewed as much more of a local race, heck more of the course seems to be on the streets of Anaheim than on property.

But the biggest reason, the Coast to Coast. You have 3 races in Jan/Feb on the east coast that people can use to qualify, but only 1 corresponding race on the west coast in Sep. Admittedly you could do a Jan/Jan or Jan/Feb coast to coast, but I think lots of people wanted to have so space inbetween the events. And the Sep race is still early enough that you can train for the WDW in Jan without getting too off kilter. I think this is easily evident by the fact it was seemingly 50% full just from pre registration at the WDW expo. (Unless that many people registered online within the first week)

Really great explanation. I was wondering the same thing. I figured it was also because there are only 2 races at Disneyland, Tinkerbell being brand new at that. I didn't even think about the lure of the Coast to Coast challenge. One year I'd like to do it! I just can't seem to plan ahead enough, especially when the Disneyland Half sells out so quickly. If I remember correctly, the Tinkerbell sold out fairly quickly too, didn't it?

I'm so excited about this race! Who has run it before?? I ran the Princess Half in 2011 and the characters along the way were awesome! Is there a lot going on along the way with the Disneyland Half? Because I understand it being so much on the streets of Anaheim, there could possibly be a lot less fun along the way...

Mad Stitch

This is my next race. It’s also the next race for run Disney as well and yet they haven’t published a course map or sneak peak of the medal. What’s up with that? I guess their busy working on the ToT 10 miler and the WDW Marathon.

dreamfinder

Has anyone done this in the past and know what type of entertainment they have off property? I normally end up stopping for at least 1 character picture, but I can't fathom how crowded they will be if the only characters are crammed in the first 3 miles before you get off property.

frank2271

There are no charecters off property. There is local bands and cheerleaders. The race is actually pretty boring off property. But worth it in the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom