Disneyland Construction Projects on Hold/ Info on Projects

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney does not act as their own general contractor. They can't just move crews from one project to the next. Even internally at Walt Disney Imagineering most of the people working on a project are full time to that one project.

Not saying you're wrong, but I've seen reports of DHS crews being moved off of MMRR prior to it being completed to work on Rise due to all the issues. So its not unheard of for crews to be shifted around.

The money has not all been spent. Contractors don't get paid up front and the money isn't sitting in some irrevocable trust.
That might be true, but I find it unlikely they would just dump the project all together at this point. Delay it, sure, but not dump it all together. But who knows, no one here knows for sure, its just my opinion. We'll all find out as time progresses.

lazyboy97o

Not saying you're wrong, but I've seen reports of DHS crews being moved off of MMRR prior to it being completed to work on Rise due to all the issues. So its not unheard of for crews to be shifted around.
Internal ride and show engineering crews who work on ride systems, show controls, etc. Not guys erecting steel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Internal ride and show engineering crews who work on ride systems, show controls, etc. Not guys erecting steel.
Ok, thank you for the information. But my statement still stands (albeit slightly adjusted), I would expect that Disney would pull whomever off of whatever project to get Avengers finished as quick as possible once they open back up. And then focus on MMRR after that. Again just my opinion, I could be wrong and I'm ok with that.

lazyboy97o

Ok, thank you for the information. But my statement still stands (albeit slightly adjusted), I would expect that Disney would pull whomever off of whatever project to get Avengers finished as quick as possible once they open back up. And then focus on MMRR after that. Again just my opinion, I could be wrong and I'm ok with that.
Again, Disney is not the contractor. They can't take employees from one company and make them work for another.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again, Disney is not the contractor. They can't take employees from one company and make them work for another.
But they can pay the contractor of one project to bring in more sub-contractors for the project to get it finished quicker can they not? Happens all the time in construction, I've personally been involved where a contractor had to do just that to finish a home on time.

SuddenStorm

FYI, building sites can be repurposed, you might not see MMRR in Anaheim. Disney now has the opportunity to see real time responses at WDW for awhile before deciding to move forward.

I always wondered about the logic of starting construction on the ride in Anaheim, when the exact same ride was going to open in just a few months in Florida. Why not wait a few months to start construction on the ride to see what guest response is, and be able to factor that input into the next iteration of the attraction (or allow you to not build two duds at the exact same time- looking at you GE).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I always wondered about the logic of starting construction on the ride in Anaheim, when the exact same ride was going to open in just a few months in Florida. Why not wait a few months to start construction on the ride to see what guest response is, and be able to factor that input into the next iteration of the attraction (or allow you to not build two duds at the exact same time- looking at you GE).

Just an observation, but isn't that really what Disney did? I mean they didn't start both MMRR projects at the same time. So far the only real things they've done at DLR is cleared some land and started pouring a foundation and moved some utilities. So far there isn't anything that can't be changed in terms of the overall attraction. So between now and the time they actually put up the show building they have plenty of time to incorporate any changes of things they learn from DHS.

Also has there been any other project besides GE where they built the same exact experience at the same exact time in two different parks? If there has I'd be curious to look into it.

lazyboy97o

But they can pay the contractor of one project to bring in more sub-contractors for the project to get it finished quicker can they not? Happens all the time in construction, I've personally been involved where a contractor had to do just that to finish a home on time.
Yes, you could through more people onto the project to finish it up faster but the subcontractors and their crews who finish a job aren’t really the ones who start a job.
Because Disney isn’t interested in iterating. They would rather save the costs on “lifting” the ride.

truecoat

There's no incentive to open Avengers Campus on time. It's not going to be enough to justify the extra expense.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
There's no incentive to open Avengers Campus on time. It's not going to be enough to justify the extra expense.

This. Throwing additional workers and 'crunching' the project is going to carry significant costs. Disney is not going to look to spend the additional money during this time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You could be right, but the incentive would be to bring crowds back who might not be as quick to come back otherwise.

By all accounts there was 4 months of work left on the project. What that work entails is not the point, but the timing is. If when they open back up they push out the new opening date 4 months. Then we'll know they didn't want to spend money speeding up the project. However if they open back up and the new opening date is much sooner than 4 months, well then we know they spent extra money.

This. Throwing additional workers and 'crunching' the project is going to carry significant costs. Disney is not going to look to spend the additional money during this time.

Just because you don't think they would spend any extra money doesn't mean it won't happen. We'll have to wait and see.

TP2000

True. But I think on this particular ride it was already delayed by a couple of years for Anaheim. Originally it was slated to go into HollywoodLand at DCA as part of the plan to use the Esplanade bus loading zones for park expansion.

The implosion of the Eastern Gateway and the terrible political rift caused by then DLR President Michael Colglazier and then Mayor Tait (two men whose egos were not meant to work together, ever) put all that on ice. Mickey's Runaway Railway was just one of the casualties.

Toontown seems to be their second choice location, and it's delayed the entire thing by a couple years for Anaheim. What's funny is that it would seem to fit in Toontown much better, so a nice win for Disneyland.

D.Silentu

Toontown is a good fit, though I'm still sorry things played out that way. California Adventure is wanting of rides like 'Mickey's Runaway Railway,' and for once they wouldn't have had to come up with a wild yarn to explain its relevancy. On that note, hopefully neither attraction is delayed very much.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

I feel like Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will be forgotten in Disneyland Park.

In Hollywood Studios, the only attractions it's competing against around 5 other family attractions. Disneyland has so much more to do in the park, that park is filled to the berm with family attractions, park map lists 65 things to do in the park that all ages can really enjoy. I'm worried it will be forgotten, being hidden in the back corner of the park, in an area a lot of guests don't even know exists.

California Adventure really needed this attraction. It's an amazing family attraction in DHS, and it should have gone to a park that's already lacking things to do, as well as a park where half of the attractions present aren't really family attractions (Incredicoaster, Guardians, etc.).

mharrington

So, not that this is possible to happen in 2022 now or whenever, but with the alleged layoffs coming to Imagineering, is it possible that, with the exception of Avengers Campus, nothing will be coming to the Disneyland Resort now? Avengers Campus at least is fairly far enough along now, I think, that they have to finish what they started there. But I will be really upset if Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is not coming at all now. Not that I really care about the 2010s Mickey cartoons all that much, but they do have enough of a Toontown vibe that I think it fits there.

I'm sorry if the question has been answered already, but I'm mainly asking from the context of Imagineering itself, not necessarily from the permits.

MK-fan

Just an observation, but isn't that really what Disney did? I mean they didn't start both MMRR projects at the same time. So far the only real things they've done at DLR is cleared some land and started pouring a foundation and moved some utilities. So far there isn't anything that can't be changed in terms of the overall attraction. So between now and the time they actually put up the show building they have plenty of time to incorporate any changes of things they learn from DHS.

Also has there been any other project besides GE where they built the same exact experience at the same exact time in two different parks? If there has I'd be curious to look into it.
Toy Story mania, Pinocchio’s daring journey

D

Deleted member 107043

Screenshot_20200401-163211_Twitter.jpg

wityblack

Name two more....

Thanks for the info.
Star Tours 1 & 2 were very close. Four of the Buzz Lightyear attractions opened within a year of each other, and WDW's Big Thunder was about a year after Disneyland, although it is a bit different. MK and Tokyo's Splash Mountains opened within a day of each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom