Disneyland Construction Projects on Hold/ Info on Projects

PostScott

Original Poster
An article from the Orange County Register stated that all construction projects at the DL resort have been stopped. They also stated multiple future projects and the details on some of them, including the Indy refurb and a Frontierland entrance renovation-
  • A $100,000 “crown castle” antenna cell site on the roof of a building in the new Marvel-themed Avengers Campus.
  • A $7.5 million attraction building with offices, restrooms and break room for cast members. Referred to as Building 6205, the 120,000-square-foot site sounds like the location for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway behind Mickey’s Toontown.
  • Refurbishment of Indiana Jones Adventure attraction. Previous permits revealed Disneyland crews would replace a plank bridge and its steel structure in the show set of the Indy attraction and refurbish rockwork. The latest permits call for the replacement of a motor control center and work on the lighting in the motion-base dark ride.
  • A $200,000 renovation of Disneyland’s Frontierland entrance. The project calls for the widening of an existing bridge and the replacement of a pair of 15-foot-tall faux wooden gates and a 16-foot-long marquee.
  • A $350,000 reroof of the Cider Mill and Blacksmith shop on Tom Sawyer’s Island. The work includes the removal and reinstallation of a scenic prop platform. The rustic building on the tip of Tom Sawyer’s Island serves as the centerpiece for Disneyland’s nightly Fantasmic water show.
  • A $115,000 reroof of Mickey’s House in Toontown where visitors meet the famous mouse and pose for photos.
  • A $1.1 million Space Mountain emergency exit exterior staircase.
  • Electrical and lighting work in the Westward Ho Trading Co. retail shop in Frontierland.
  • A $30,000 shade canopy in the Simba parking lot used by Downtown Disney shoppers.

jmuboy

The Frontierland one is interesting. Hopefully it’s looks 100 percent the same when done. I don’t trust them not to make it look like a wide open shopping mall.

Remember in the early 2000s when the Indian tepees were outside the gates on the edge of the water?

Phroobar

• $1.1 million Space Mountain emergency exit exterior staircase.
Why does it cost $1.1 million for a set of stairs? Somebody's contractor buddy got a kickback on that one.
Disneyland-News-Tomorrowland-Space-Mountain-Stairs-DownStairs.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
When they redid the bridge at WDW in Adventureland it went from arched bridge approach to flat to better accommodate wheeled things....don't think they widened it but it took some of the magic away.....;) I read somewhere DLR has 3 arched bridges, is this true?
Image result for old adventureland bridge wdwImage result for old adventureland bridge wdw

That photo on the left is from WDW not DLR, so not sure what you're trying to indicate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Does this mean, then, that these projects will never go forward now, even after the parks reopen?

Nope, once again you are looking for doom and gloom. How about actually reading what the post says before jumping to conclusions.

The poster pointed out several future projects that the article says are on the books, likely based on permit filings. Its no different than our own permit thread.

Does that guarantee all the projects on that list will move forward, no. But no where does the poster indicate any of these are on the chopping block.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So it could have cost more?
Maybe, but likely less, a lot less for the actual construction cost. My understanding, and its limited on the permit process, is that its the total valuation in order to get the permit passed.

Here is what I've found from this site:

"The applicant for a permit shall provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations shall include total value of work including materials and labor for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment, and permanent systems. If, in the opinion of the code official, the valuation is underestimated on the application, the permit shall be denied unless the applicant can show detailed estimates to meet the approval of the code official. Final building permit valuation shall be set by the code official. "

So likely these are overestimation.

Phroobar

Maybe, but likely less, a lot less for the actual construction cost. My understanding, and its limited on the permit process, is that its the total valuation in order to get the permit passed.

Here is what I've found from this site:

"The applicant for a permit shall provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations shall include total value of work including materials and labor for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment, and permanent systems. If, in the opinion of the code official, the valuation is underestimated on the application, the permit shall be denied unless the applicant can show detailed estimates to meet the approval of the code official. Final building permit valuation shall be set by the code official. "

So likely these are overestimation.
Doesn't the city base the permit cost on the estimation? Wouldn't Disney go low but believable to save on permitting?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Doesn't the city base the permit cost on the estimation? Wouldn't Disney go low but believable to save on permitting?
Your guess is as good as mine, dunno. But if the blurb that I posted is correct, and I have no doubt that it is due to it coming from LA's permitting codes, then if caught low balling the permit would be denied. So I'm pretty sure Anaheim permit offices know at this point the average cost of projects at DLR, so Disney likely can't pull the wool over Anaheim's eyes and low ball. So if anything I expect it to be a higher estimate than lower.

mharrington

Nope, once again you are looking for doom and gloom. How about actually reading what the post says before jumping to conclusions.

The poster pointed out several future projects that the article says are on the books, likely based on permit filings. Its no different than our own permit thread.

Does that guarantee all the projects on that list will move forward, no. But no where does the poster indicate any of these are on the chopping block.

I'm particularly concerned about the prospect of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway never coming to Disneyland at all, given the circumstances. I mean, yes, they would have to finish Avengers Campus and that emergency stairway over by Space Mountain, since they are half-finished, but what about beyond those? Depending on when Disneyland opens again (I have no idea), it could definitely be much, much longer than the allotted 2022 opening year for Runaway Railway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm particularly concerned about the prospect of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway never coming to Disneyland at all, given the circumstances. I mean, yes, they would have to finish Avengers Campus and that emergency stairway over by Space Mountain, since they are half-finished, but what about beyond those? Depending on when Disneyland opens again (I have no idea), it could definitely be much, much longer than the allotted 2022 opening year for Runaway Railway.

At this point I wouldn't worry about MMRR coming to DLR, its coming. The only question is when, that will be determined once construction opens back up. They have already demo'd the area and started the foundation process, so its happening.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
At this point I wouldn't worry about MMRR coming to DLR, its coming. The only question is when, that will be determined once construction opens back up. They have already demo'd the area and started the foundation process, so its happening.

There was a hotel basically completed in 2001 that took a decade to open due to 9/11 at WDW. The foundation being done doesn’t guarantee anything.

I imagine it will be delayed 1-2 years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There was a hotel basically completed in 2001 that took a decade to open due to 9/11 at WDW. The foundation being done doesn’t guarantee anything.

I imagine it will be delayed 1-2 years.

A hotel is different than an attraction. And I agree the foundation doesn't guarantee anything, but its a good indicator. I also agree likely a year delay (end of 2022 to mid-2023 opening). Unless of course they push all construction resources to it after they finish with Avengers. When constructions starts back up at DLR it will Avengers that is the priority. Then all focus will be moved over to MMRR, that would possibly put it back on track to open on-time.

The only people that know anything for sure is Disney, not anyone here. Here its all speculation. Once things open back up we'll know pretty quick if construction continues or not at MMRR.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
A hotel is different than an attraction. And I agree the foundation doesn't guarantee anything, but its a good indicator. I also agree likely a year delay (end of 2022 to mid-2023 opening). Unless of course they push all construction resources to it after they finish with Avengers. When constructions starts back up at DLR it will Avengers that is the priority. Then all focus will be moved over to MMRR, that would possibly put it back on track to open on-time.

The only people that know anything for sure is Disney, not anyone here. Here its all speculation. Once things open back up we'll know pretty quick if construction continues or not at MMRR.

Definitely different. My thought is they won’t pump in resources unless they have to. Avengers will definitely be finished. MMRR I think they will wait for a bit to see how crowds go before spinning up the capex machine. If crowds are low, no need to add an attraction until they start to see it rebound.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Definitely different. My thought is they won’t pump in resources unless they have to. Avengers will definitely be finished. MMRR I think they will wait for a bit to see how crowds go before spinning up the capex machine. If crowds are low, no need to add an attraction until they start to see it rebound.
They've already spent the money on MMRR in DLR, hence why construction already started. So while things can be cut, its budget is already allocated and in-place. Also this isn't a new project where there are a lot of unknowns, its a clone of an attraction that has already opened.

mharrington

Way back in the early days of WDW, they had already cleared the area in the corner of Frontierland for Western River, only for that to never happen when guests decided they wanted Pirates instead. So it has happened before that the space for an attraction was cleared, but construction never happened.

They've already spent the money on MMRR in DLR, hence why construction already started. So while things can be cut, its budget is already allocated and in-place. Also this isn't a new project where there are a lot of unknowns, its a clone of an attraction that has already opened.

If that's the case, then work should resume on it after the parks reopen like with Avengers Campus, should it not?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Way back in the early days of WDW, they had already cleared the area in the corner of Frontierland for Western River, only for that to never happen when guests decided they wanted Pirates instead. So it has happened before that the space for an attraction was cleared, but construction never happened.
Yep, you're right MMRR at DLR won't happen because of what happened back in the 70s at a completely different park. :rolleyes:

Do any of us know what will happen, no. Is there a possibility that MMRR will be cancelled at DLR, yes. Is it guaranteed to be cancelled, no. Is it guaranteed to go forward, no. Its a guessing game right now. As I said before, once the parks open back up we'll see real quick if construction starts again. That will be the only way to answer that question that you are worried about. Until that time we won't know. People can give their opinions, just as I have, but they are just opinions.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Yep, you're right MMRR at DLR won't happen because of what happened back in the 70s at a completely different park. :rolleyes:

Do any of us know what will happen, no. Is there a possibility that MMRR will be cancelled at DLR, yes. Is it guaranteed to be cancelled, no. Is it guaranteed to go forward, no. Its a guessing game right now. As I said before, once the parks open back up we'll see real quick if construction starts again. That will be the only way to answer that question that you are worried about. Until that time we won't know. People can give their opinions, just as I have, but they are just opinions.

At the same time, when you say things like:

They've already spent the money on MMRR in DLR, hence why construction already started. So while things can be cut, its budget is already allocated and in-place.

It doesn't really come off as you giving your opinion. Disney didn't give the contractor all of the money upfront. That's not how these things work. You also might have different contractors doing different parts of the job. No one knows for certain what will happen, you're correct on that. Your opinion is they will move forward. My opinion is they will hit pause and delay for a year or two (which you partially agreed with). We can try to pull on past experiences to present an informed opinion, which is what mharrington and myself both did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom