Disneyland Construction Projects on Hold/ Info on Projects

fctiger

I'm particularly concerned about the prospect of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway never coming to Disneyland at all, given the circumstances. I mean, yes, they would have to finish Avengers Campus and that emergency stairway over by Space Mountain, since they are half-finished, but what about beyond those? Depending on when Disneyland opens again (I have no idea), it could definitely be much, much longer than the allotted 2022 opening year for Runaway Railway.

Why would this suddenly be cancelled? They already started the work and spending the money. And we know attendance will probably be soft for awhile whenever it does open back up. History seems to show that projects gets on the board faster when attendance hits slower peaks, not less. But yes it could be delayed since we have no idea when work will start again as I imagine Avengers Campus will be.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At the same time, when you say things like:

It doesn't really come off as you giving your opinion. Disney didn't give the contractor all of the money upfront. That's not how these things work. You also might have different contractors doing different parts of the job. No one knows for certain what will happen, you're correct on that. Your opinion is they will move forward. My opinion is they will hit pause and delay for a year or two (which you partially agreed with). We can try to pull on past experiences to present an informed opinion, which is what mharrington and myself both did.
Well its clear that everyone here is pretty much giving their opinion unless they provide sources for information. Or are a trusted insider. I mean just look at my signature saying...

Also we don't know for sure how things will progress once they open back up and restart construction. Do I think they will cancel the project all together as mharrington is thinking will happen, no. Do I think they will hit pause, sure, but not a very long one which is what you think will happen. I personally think they'll adjust, move all construction to Avengers to get that done, and then once completed move everything to MMRR.

I don't think we can pull from past experiences as nothing like this has happened before. For example, using your past experince, the company was in a much different place in 2001 then they are now. So that gives me more ability to believe they will continue where they were once things get back going, and not just abandon already started projects. Also in this era of hyper PR that we live it wouldn't look good for Disney to start canceling projects and putting people out of works as the rest of the country is trying to put people back to work. The public perception on that wouldn't be good, so another reason to believe they will continue with already started projects like MMRR.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
9/11 didn't stop construction on Fliks Fun Fair/Tower of Terror at DCA. 2008 didn't stop Carsland. Seems like new attractions will be needed and loan rates have never been cheaper.

Yep, I agree.

Existing construction will continue once the parks open back up. Its future projects that will likely be delayed, such as the TL and FL redo projects.

But for now its just wait and see until the parks open back up.

celluloid

9/11 didn't stop construction on Fliks Fun Fair/Tower of Terror at DCA. 2008 didn't stop Carsland. Seems like new attractions will be needed and loan rates have never been cheaper.
Do you recall how substandard those attractions were? There is a reason they did not add value to the already struggling DCA that needed anything. The company also did not have losses like this then because the china market is the heaviest weighted for the company and has shut down all of their investments and turned them into worse losses than they already were becoming. You have two failed theme park resorts over there and movies that have turned out to be not smash hits even when catering to their masses. Its a market they never found smash hit in other than the Avengers and tentpole films and now it hurt the entire company.

celluloid

No. I just remember the complaints when Tower of Terror was removed.

Yeah, people complained about DL's peoplemover too. But as Tony Baxter has stated "when people ask why we took it out, I ask 'why didn't you ride it?"
DCA's "additions" you mentioned were not successes or prideful in deign or profit. That is why neither are there. So not the best examples. Both value engineered, hence why there as Major E tickets and overhaul needed just a few years later.

celluloid

Doesn't change the fact that their construction wasn't stopped by a national tragedy.

It does not I will give you that, but those are the examples of what we got, not what was supposed to be. So things were cut. That tragedy also did not hurt the company like this global situation does. As sad and instant as 9/11 was, and as hard as thing got for awhile in housing and banking and then the war right after, it is not as economically crashing as this with so much in China. The country was pushed to keep going, the world has now pushed(for better or for worse who knows since there are thing more important than theme parks) to stop.

SuddenStorm

Yeah, people complained about DL's peoplemover too. But as Tony Baxter has stated "when people ask why we took it out, I ask 'why didn't you ride it?"

This is a false comparison. Tower of Terror still had long waits up until closure- it wasn't closed due to lack of popularity, it was closed in an attempt to rush Marvel into the parks by Chapek.

Also, while I typically have a ton of respect for Baxter, I think it's important to realize that they took the Peoplemover out for a failed E ticket that had tons of issues prior to open, caused structural damage to the track, and was removed with no replacement after only a year or two. That's why people are still hung up on the Peoplemover- it wasn't replaced with anything and the track still exists as a daily reminder of what once was.

celluloid

This is a false comparison. Tower of Terror still had long waits up until closure- it wasn't closed due to lack of popularity, it was closed in an attempt to rush Marvel into the parks by Chapek.

Also, while I typically have a ton of respect for Baxter, I think it's important to realize that they took the Peoplemover out for a failed E ticket that had tons of issues prior to open, caused structural damage to the track, and was removed with no replacement after only a year or two. That's why people are still hung up on the Peoplemover- it wasn't replaced with anything and the track still exists as a daily reminder of what once was.

Ridership is only one factor. For one Tower was one of few e tickets in dca, so that is skewed. Efficiency, not great and making money? No guest satisfaction did not translate to spending for people in the gift shop that is why it was an easier choice.
But it i isurther from that is all different entirely.

SuddenStorm

Ridership is only one factor. For one Tower was one of few e tickets in dca, so that is skewed. Efficiency, not great and making money? No guest satisfaction did not translate to spending for people in the gift shop that is why it was an easier choice.
But it i isurther from that is all different entirely.

The Baxter quote directly references ridership, which is why that's the point I responded too.

I still don't understand how the decision to close the Peoplemover at all relates to the circumstances around closing Tower? What am I missing here?

Darkbeer1

FYI, building sites can be repurposed, you might not see MMRR in Anaheim. Disney now has the opportunity to see real time responses at WDW for awhile before deciding to move forward.

There is an emergency Anaheim City Council Meeting on Thursday night that will discuss construction projects in the Resort area and trying to have the move forward with stimulus efforts. Should be interesting to see how they will be received.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
FYI, building sites can be repurposed, you might not see MMRR in Anaheim. Disney now has the opportunity to see real time responses at WDW for awhile before deciding to move forward.

There is an emergency Anaheim City Council Meeting on Thursday night that will discuss construction projects in the Resort area and trying to have the move forward with stimulus efforts. Should be interesting to see how they will be received.

I would expect Anaheim would "encourage" Disney to move forward with all projects. If for nothing else than the good PR it will bring to the region about putting people back to work.

TP2000

Very interesting. Please keep us posted on what you can.

Darkbeer1

Very interesting. Please keep us posted on what you can.
Hasn't been released yet. Can't get into details until then.

AnaheI'M First is going to take all their Year 1 funds and direct them to be used for the emergency. That was released this morning. A neighbor helping neighbor program.

lazyboy97o

• $1.1 million Space Mountain emergency exit exterior staircase.
Why does it cost $1.1 million for a set of stairs? Somebody's contractor buddy got a kickback on that one.
Disneyland-News-Tomorrowland-Space-Mountain-Stairs-DownStairs.jpeg
Stairs require a lot of precision. The maximum variation between riser heights and tread depths on a run of stairs is ⅜". Almost every aspect of a stair from nosing to handrails has very specific requirements that must be met. Exterior stairs also need to have a slope to their surface to allow water to drain off of them.

A hotel is different than an attraction. And I agree the foundation doesn't guarantee anything, but its a good indicator. I also agree likely a year delay (end of 2022 to mid-2023 opening). Unless of course they push all construction resources to it after they finish with Avengers. When constructions starts back up at DLR it will Avengers that is the priority. Then all focus will be moved over to MMRR, that would possibly put it back on track to open on-time.

The only people that know anything for sure is Disney, not anyone here. Here its all speculation. Once things open back up we'll know pretty quick if construction continues or not at MMRR.
Disney does not act as their own general contractor. They can't just move one contractor's crews from one project to another contractor's project. Even internally at Walt Disney Imagineering most of the people working on a project are full time to that one project.

They've already spent the money on MMRR in DLR, hence why construction already started. So while things can be cut, its budget is already allocated and in-place. Also this isn't a new project where there are a lot of unknowns, its a clone of an attraction that has already opened.
The money has not all been spent. Contractors don't get paid up front and the money isn't sitting in some irrevocable trust.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom