Politics Disneyland Closure: Another six months?

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Should Disneyland remain closed another six months?

• Yes

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 106 81.5%

• Total voters

BubbaisSleep

Not for 6 months but for the rest of the year, yes.
It's ridiculous to have cm's start again during the hectic time of the Holidays, a time which people already behaved madly pre-covid.
I'm sure DL will hit it's peak everyday until after New Years.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Is that wrong? That's how we wear them in the Anaheim area.
Why do I suspect that this is really what's going on at your place:

1603503269144.png

:D

So despite all the control in place. You can't stop it. YOUR way isn't working.
It’s almost like it takes more than closing stores done and forcing less contact in the parts of people’s lives that you can.

If most people (95% or so) don’t wear masks and stay away from each other for a while, it doesn’t work.

Instead of picking and choosing part of the US that can’t get this under control, why not look at countries that HAVE gotten a handle on this? The common problem with every example you have of any state is going to be “Americans live there”

Until Americans realize that the US is the worst developed country in the world at dealing with covid, they’ll never understand why half-arsed mask wearing and minimal distancing doesn’t work out the way they want.

cmwade77

Agreed. If we wait until the virus is eradicated, there might not be much left to come back TO.
Let's make this clear, the virus will never be eradicated, it is here to stay and we need to take steps to ensure we all have as much immunity to it as possible. This includes good physical and mental health as well as accepting the fact that the majority of the 70% of Americans who are not already immune to it (yes, 30% are immune due to something in the T-Cells) WILL get COVID at some point. The sooner we accept that and accept we have risks in our lives, the more lives we can save in the long run and get back to having things reopen sooner rather than later.

cmwade77

It’s almost like it takes more than closing stores done and forcing less contact in the parts of people’s lives that you can.

If most people (95% or so) don’t wear masks and stay away from each other for a while, it doesn’t work.

Instead of picking and choosing part of the US that can’t get this under control, why not look at countries that HAVE gotten a handle on this? The common problem with every example you have of any state is going to be “Americans live there”

Until Americans realize that the US is the worst developed country in the world at dealing with covid, they’ll never understand why half-arsed mask wearing and minimal distancing doesn’t work out the way they want.
You mean look at the countries that are all having massive surges again? You know the ones that are having a higher number of people per 100,000 getting COVID and higher percentages of deaths among those who do get it?

Yeah, it is working well in those countries, right? No, because again we are pretty much all either going to be immune or get it at some point, so why do we insist on ripping the band-aid off slowly and causing more pain and death in the long run?

You mean look at the countries that are all having massive surges again? You know the ones that are having a higher number of people per 100,000 getting COVID and higher percentages of deaths among those who do get it?

Yeah, it is working well in those countries, right? No, because again we are pretty much all either going to be immune or get it at some point, so why do we insist on ripping the band-aid off slowly and causing more pain and death in the long run?
Natural herd immunity will lead to millions of dead Americans. I get you don’t think it will get you. It probably won’t. But asking millions of other Americans to die on the chance (immunity may not last more than a few months) that you can see Goofy sooner is not a good take.

Infections going completely out of control will scare so many people into not wanting to go shopping that you’ll end up with the worst of both worlds: uncontrolled spread with millions dead, and a ruined economy.

Those countries that are spiking are taking strong steps to get it back under control and mitigate the serious infections and deaths. The US gave up. They admitted it yesterday. I honestly don’t know if it’s possible to get it under control in the States until a vaccine is widely available. That’s how bad of a failure the response has been.

Let's make this clear, the virus will never be eradicated, it is here to stay and we need to take steps to ensure we all have as much immunity to it as possible. This includes good physical and mental health as well as accepting the fact that the majority of the 70% of Americans who are not already immune to it (yes, 30% are immune due to something in the T-Cells) WILL get COVID at some point. The sooner we accept that and accept we have risks in our lives, the more lives we can save in the long run and get back to having things reopen sooner rather than later.
Just a quick note. We don’t know what the effect of the T-cells is. Right now it looks like at best it’ll cause the infection to not be as strong. There’s no proof it causes immunity though.

Again, just giving up and seeing who dies instead of trying to hold off the virus as other countries have done until vaccines become available is a really bad idea.

truecoat

Natural herd immunity will lead to millions of dead Americans. I get you don’t think it will get you. It probably won’t. But asking millions of other Americans to die on the chance (immunity may not last more than a few months) that you can see Goofy sooner is not a good take.

Infections going completely out of control will scare so many people into not wanting to go shopping that you’ll end up with the worst of both worlds: uncontrolled spread with millions dead, and a ruined economy.

Those countries that are spiking are taking strong steps to get it back under control and mitigate the serious infections and deaths. The US gave up. They admitted it yesterday. I honestly don’t know if it’s possible to get it under control in the States until a vaccine is widely available. That’s how bad of a failure the response has been.

There's another problem with the herd immunity theory. There are different strains and you can catch it a second time and you might have a worse reaction.

cmwade77

The reality is unless we keep everything locked down forever, people are going to die regardless. But honestly, everyone keeps project millions of deaths and it never has happened, why? Simply put, we understand the real way to stop the spread is by washing our hands and practicing proper hygiene, not shutting everything down.

Sorry, but giving up freedoms to "save" some people while killing probably 30-40 million other American through unemployment, slow starvation, etc. is not the way to handle this.

It is time we realize life has risks and we either live with those risks or hide in fear for the rest of our lives.

cmwade77

Just a quick note. We don’t know what the effect of the T-cells is. Right now it looks like at best it’ll cause the infection to not be as strong. There’s no proof it causes immunity though.

Again, just giving up and seeing who dies instead of trying to hold off the virus as other countries have done until vaccines become available is a really bad idea.
Actually, several studies have now proven that T-Cells do provide immunity. There are many studies done on this, not that I think you will actually listen, but here is one of a ton of links:

cmwade77

There's another problem with the herd immunity theory. There are different strains and you can catch it a second time and you might have a worse reaction.
That may be the case; however, the more people that get it, the weaker the virus will become, that is the nature of how viruses work. Additionally, immunity builds up in the body over time as well, this is real science, not the garbage people are trying to get us to believe.

cmwade77

Very true. There’s still much we don’t know that can only be found through time. That’s why we need to take things are carefully as we can.
Nope, we don't have to do anything except live and die, those are literally the only two things we have to do. Ultimately it is not the government's job to try to force us to do certain things and that is the problem here, the state wants to force businesses to close indefinitely and that can no longer be allowed to happen.

truecoat

Nope, we don't have to do anything except live and die, those are literally the only two things we have to do. Ultimately it is not the government's job to try to force us to do certain things and that is the problem here, the state wants to force businesses to close indefinitely and that can no longer be allowed to happen.

So let's spread the disease and kill more people so you can ride Mr. Toad? Sounds like a good trade off.

The reality is unless we keep everything locked down forever, people are going to die regardless. But honestly, everyone keeps project millions of deaths and it never has happened, why? Simply put, we understand the real way to stop the spread is by washing our hands and practicing proper hygiene, not shutting everything down.

Sorry, but giving up freedoms to "save" some people while killing probably 30-40 million other American through unemployment, slow starvation, etc. is not the way to handle this.

It is time we realize life has risks and we either live with those risks or hide in fear for the rest of our lives.
Of course people are going to die from Covid. No one's said getting the deaths to zero was the goal. But there's a big difference between the US being one of the worst countries in the world, and being one of the best.

The millions of deaths were estimated if the US did absolutely nothing and just let the virus run wild in order to develop herd immunity. Thankfully others have decided to take steps against that, even if the federal government hasn't. The "30-40 million American deaths" seems to be just made up. Not sure how to respond to an argument like that where numbers are just made up.

I think you have this backwards. Dealing with this virus, and actually dealing with it, is the brave thing to do. Being so scared of dealing with it that you'd rather other people just die so you can pretend it's not there is the fearful way.

DrAlice

Why do I suspect that this is really what's going on at your place:

View attachment 508110

:D
Just popped in to drop this fun fact about myself that probably no one cares about: Many years ago, when I submitted my Ph.D. thesis, I included this quote at the bottom of my acknowledgements page. (I also had a Shakespeare quote. Cuz that's how I roll: Buffy and Shakespeare.)

Carry on with your regularly scheduled arguments......

Actually, several studies have now proven that T-Cells do provide immunity. There are many studies done on this, not that I think you will actually listen, but here is one of a ton of links:
I really don't understand the confrontational attitude, but I did read the article you linked to.

The article backs me up. Thank you for providing an article that agrees that we don't know how well the idea of T-cell immunity might actually work, or how long they last.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom